Alexandrite and the Single Task Pomo

Alexandrite

Mom of three, married to "Dr. Focker," and currently living in a remote area of Oregon, trying out homestead skills and whatever else I can get into at the moment.

Last challenge, I had some real opportunity to soul search about motivation. In fact, sickness for everyone in the family, travel, and many other things showed me just how much I need to change my tactics in order to motivate in the face of life's habits.

Zero week ended up being amazing! Sunday of zero week Dr. Focker and I walked a mile. Monday I walked to my kids school for the first time to pick up one child and pushed the three of them back home in the stroller. I worked my butt off hoeing in the garden (40x60 plot to prepare) also. Tuesday I woke up at 5am and completed a whole hour of yoga practice. Wednesday I ended up sitting a lot, because of rain and having to do a lot of computer work. Thursday lots ore garden hoeing. Friday more rain, but I still squeezed in garden time. Saturday was a day off to recover muscles. Hoeing two days in a row was hard on my shoulders and ankles. My joints don't like the work. Sunday was another garden hoeing day!

In the meantime Dr Focker and I continue to knock down some big goals and he is helping me conquer my to do list that is rife with emotional baggage. A friend showed me a video game MMO that I would like to give a go at, so I am going to use that as motivation/reward (had a good outcome with using Stardew Valley before). So here we go, goals for this challenge.

- Walk kids to school or walk to pick them up at least twice a week, weather permitting. I get 20 minutes of video game reward time per week for completing both sessions.

- Fit in any extra walking possible. More walking! I get 5 minutes of video game reward time per walking opportunity taken.

- To Do List Scheduling - stay on track with what Dr Focker and I have planned out for me each day to complete. This is where the title of the quest comes from. Single Task at a time, in increments of 15 minutes, Pomodoro style. No multitasking or checking other things that "might" be related. Just get the task done! For each big task checked off, 5 min reward time.

- Yoga at least twice a week. It doesn't have to be fancy, or an hour long. Quiet, mat time for stretching. 20 minute reward per week for completing at least two.

- Japanese - WaniKani, Busuu, and Memrise are what I am rotating through right now, because of the apps they have. Busuu even combines the idea of Lang-8 where you write and get corrected by natives. Also thinking about HiNative. Every day spent working on at least thirty minutes of language time earns me 5 minute rewards. I am also giving myself a bonus here: write an email in Japanese to my exchange student's parents to earn 15 minutes.

Finally, a condition of this challenge is reduction in FB scrolling time. I can't take a complete break from it because I am involved in a few things right now. So I will be replacing FB time with a blog I am trying to restart. Bought a domain for it yesterday and just started fixing content. I have at least 10 blog posts that I have created in my mind over the years, and took photos for, but never got them online. Time to create content! This is a bonus: if I complete this along with my other goals I will reward myself with a professional massage at the end of the challenge!

Thanks for reading!

Sent by my Navi-powered device!

• Like 3

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

Love the challenge, and the many different areas it focuses on. Kudos to you for getting out in the garden, too (and wow that's a big garden) - it's still too cold here for me to do much, but I'll be joining you as soon as I can. Looking forward to another successful challenge, and please do let us know about the blog!

• Like 2

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Thanks everyone!

Came to report on the last few days. Walked kids to school on Monday (need to record how much this is exactly) and Thur. Worked in garden Tues, which I count as physical activity. Been a lot of rain and I dont work in the garden until it dries out a bit (soil compaction). Did language study and tasks like a boss. Made fabric signs for two friends that have been waiting months for them, fixed the breadmaker with new motor that arrived from eBay (old $5 junker that makes delicious bread!), and worked on budget/calls for the office. 55 minutes added up. Played Yoshi's Island on the 3DS with my son on Wed and Thurs for about 30 min each time.

I worked on the blog a tiny bit - I have other things on my to do list that are critical so I had to wait, plus my phone app isn't connected with it yet.

I have to leave tomorrow to go out of town for a training trip for exchange program volunteer stuff. I plan on getting up and doing yoga before we leave. My right hip is out of alignment a d been a bear to walk with, plus I dropped the small motor from the breadmaker on my left foot that was already aching from over compensation... no bones broken thankfully but bruises hurt.

About how many steps in a day is ideal? I don't carry my phone with me everywhere, but it averaged around 1600 steps a day over the last few months, so I usually added on 1000 steps to account for all the movement I do without my phone on me (it's a lot but I have three little ones!). After starting the walking goal I am getting up around 2500 now (so 3.5k if you add in missing steps), but it was set at 6k as a "goal" for some reason so I don't know what is ideal.

I will share the blog info as soon as I get it hooked up. ^_^

• Like 2

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

18 minutes ago, Alexandrite said:

About how many steps in a day is ideal? I don't carry my phone with me everywhere, but it averaged around 1600 steps a day over the last few months, so I usually added on 1000 steps to account for all the movement I do without my phone on me (it's a lot but I have three little ones!). After starting the walking goal I am getting up around 2500 now (so 3.5k if you add in missing steps), but it was set at 6k as a "goal" for some reason so I don't know what is ideal.

im not sure if its international, but in Denmark they strive for 10.000 steps to be "active"

However a good way to do it is instead of adding a goal of xxxx steps" try making minigoals of improving your average over time.

Any steps more than you usually take are important steps!

good work

• Like 3

Be like water my friend

Okay, then that relieves me of the whole steps counting thing! I don't enjoy having to track anything.

I did do about 20 min of yoga stretches Friday morning before I got distracted by a question from my kids and left my mat. I ended up cleaning house before we left, and then our room was a bit away from the conference area so I got my walking in multiple times (15 min worth of reward overall I feel). Absolutely ate way too much wonderful food and Japanese candy/snacks. I was encouraged by the fact that my body stopped aching so much and handled the walking better, so more walking and yoga it is! We made it back home last night, I will try to do my second session of yoga today.

I also fit in Japanese study, but skipped it during the conference, so earned only 5 min there. Started a crochet hat for each of my kids from my to do list, 5 min reward.

So 25 min total reward in the bank. I also logged my phone accounts in so I can start doing blog work. Need to do finances and such today. Honestly it is a catch up day! April is coming~ and so our the potatoes I ordered. Time to dig up more garden!

• Like 3

On 3/26/2017 at 5:38 AM, Alexandrite said:

I was encouraged by the fact that my body stopped aching so much and handled the walking better, so more walking and yoga it is!

Yay for seeing results of your hard work! Always nice to start reaping the benefits of hours and hours of "why am I doing this???" What kind of potatoes are you planting, if I may, and do you plant them in the ground, or do a bag or raised tower method? 

• Like 2

Okay, so a bit of a long absence. Spring break + rain meant a lot of indoor time and kid entertaining and not a lot of getting things done. I was so happy that it was only a week and things went back to regular schedule.

A few thoughts:

Yoga in the early mornings at 5 work best.

I can reach 6k steps and more (my ideal goal) per day if I mow the lawns or walk to kids school for drop off and pick up, plus daily activity.

I LOVE gardening. Dr. Focker has recognized this and told me full steam ahead! He said forget the dishes, cleaning the house, etc. Do the garden. Because it means food! Yesssssss

That's it for now. Been very successful lately studying Japanese and getting things done.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2017 at 8:54 PM, Alexandrite said:

Yoga in the early mornings at 5 work best.

I can reach 6k steps and more (my ideal goal) per day if I mow the lawns or walk to kids school for drop off and pick up, plus daily activity.

I LOVE gardening. Dr. Focker has recognized this and told me full steam ahead! He said forget the dishes, cleaning the house, etc. Do the garden. Because it means food! Yesssssss

That's it for now. Been very successful lately studying Japanese and getting things done.

Sounds like it's been a pretty productive week for you! Hope that's still going strong!

A wrap up to this challenge:

Got most of my goals in solid at least two days out of every week, but didn't do any of the extras or bonuses, and had a hard time being consistent when schedules were off for spring break or travel.

Also, I have come to the conclusion that I am tired of feeling tired. My sister gave me a Withings watch as a gift and I have been tracking steps and sleep. It confirmed my suspicion that I get about 1000 more steps on average than what my phone records because it isn't on me all the time. It also confirmed that my sleep sucks, I only get about 2-3 hours of deep sleep per night, the rest spent in light sleep or awake to care for the baby. I am waking up at least 2-3 times per night, sometimes up to 5. This just isn't cutting it for me. So I am going to have to be more diligent about family bed times, and I have decided to conquer some diet challenges I have had to help boost energy.

Starting today, an experimenting through zero week, I will be cutting out as much sugar as possible and replacing all of my habitually salty, sugary, or empty snacks with some kind of veggie and protein. I went to San Francisco for my sister's wedding two weekends ago, walked all over the place, ate relatively normal for what I usually eat, and dropped 6lbs. Just by being more active because I only had one baby with me and was able to do more things or take naps. So if I cant really change the fact that one child doesn't nap anymore (so I have to stay up) and baby is still breastfeeding (which is not tapering off like I had hoped), then diet is the next thing I can tweak to give me more energy.

A final note about breastfeeding. My Freibird has shown signs of food allergies. He has breakout rash/rough spots all over his body, which have gotten worse as he started eating real foods. We suspect either gluten/corn or egg. So we have begun to cut out all regular foods except baby squeezers of fruit and veggie to see if it helps at all, and I will be trying to cut back on gluten/corn stuffs. He only had rough patches since he was born and breastfeeding, they became more irritated and horrible itch/red with the intro of foods directly. So I am dealing with that too. Zero week will be a bumper week to try out some tweaks and see how I can do this. I foresee being hungry at times until I figure out good snacks...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexandrite said:

I went to San Francisco for my sister's wedding two weekends ago, walked all over the place, ate relatively normal for what I usually eat, and dropped 6lbs. Just by being more active because I only had one baby with me and was able to do more things or take naps.

O.O Wow. That's impressive. Sorry to hear about the lack of sleep, that impacts so very much of ones life. Good luck with the diet for both you and the Freibird, that's a lot going on at once. It does take a bit of prep time, but I highly recommend boiled eggs (with or without the yolk) for fast, filling, and low-calorie snacks. Good luck with the new goals!

• Like 2