DJ Trippy T: Becoming Bohdi, Part 1

DJtrippyT

Ta-da! I have shaken off my cold with copious amounts of Dayquil and hot baths, and I am here, with you my Ranger brethren, to take on a new challenge. Which will be not terribly unlike my last challenge, but hopefully more amusing, and with 37.9% more bicycles, since the weather is better.

I had a very intense challenge laid out with a very serious VIKINGS ARE BADASS theme, but it's like 75 degrees and sunny and I'm down some weight and the Justice League trailer looks fucking great and I'm just kinda in a good mood this week, and it didn't feel like the right theme. So I changed it. And so I give you my new challenge:

BECOMING BOHDI!

large.04361f2db039e65b8f112211048073f2.jpg.75958a06d7e7db17a8fdb37a9dfe3c2f.jpg

Yes, I have designed my challenge around the greatest surf-riding savant of modern cinema. We have, after all, a ton in common:

- passion for the nature and the sea

- thirst for adventure and travel

- perfect blonde highlights and slightly androgynous surfer-chick hair

- urge to buck the system and travel light

large.3pointbreak_nqecqz.jpg.028bb172cad51ab1d088e6fed9d9a6cd.jpg

I mean, yeah, there's some sociopathic behavior and the whole bank-robbing thing, but I can't spell or resist cheese fries, so we've all got our problems, right?  We'll just gloss over that for the moment and get to the challenge.

1: Get the spiritual side of it: 

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/45b03b32-d6e4-4c2f-a2d4-70fa90f4e922

I started meditating during my last challenge and doing Wim Hof breathing exercises, and holy cow does it make a difference. So goal number 1 is to continue meditating daily.

2: Get that Surf Body:

large.03171c546a9b802c3363fe07ac807a40.jpg.2dd0d25600ec82ded3bed6daaee954af.jpg

Patrick Swayze had one of the all-time great physiques on this film and he apparently did almost all of his own stunts. I mean, he's not Jason Momoa or anything...

large.9e25ae66364dad9fcb4afa0668ecb4a0.jpg.d42bb33ffbe6ced49d4bb800062dabeb.jpg

...but that's not the question at hand. Actually after looking at that picture I can't remember what the question was. I may need a moment.

Okay, I'm back. I lost 1.9% body fat last challenge so my goal is to lose another 1% by challenge end. Which means no cheese fries. Sadness. 

I got a bike trainer - the Mantis has been on me about it for ages and I finally got a cheap one - so that I can do some indoor training, and I will continue to workout at the gym and post my workouts, if only because it's never not funny to say, "Today I worked on my snatch."

large.200_s.gif.c8c915819d703247a6756a8dd8370b06.gif

I'm trying to do two workouts a day, but it's not like it's 40 miles on the bike in the morning and then heavy lifting in the evening. It's either a strength workout or the bike and then a walk or yoga or a spin on the trainer or whatever, something simple.

Goal 3: Traveling on the money, going where the waves are:

I had plans for an ambitious cross country road trip this spring, but I changed my mind, and now I think I am going to go to Belize to go snorkeling, because it will be cheaper and shorter (like a week instead of a month) and I found out that there's a chance to see whale sharks there, which I'm kind of obsessed with. So goal #3 is to save up the money for that trip, even if it means selling everything I own that's not bicycle-related or my cat.

And that, actually, is it for now. Simple challenge for once. 

large.e962ff1a32bc4247bbf6c439cbf91464.jpg.d11e59c9a6e16d9f338913b0448d6e43.jpg

Bonus content if you're bored:

I was reminded this morning by my fb "memories" section that exactly one year ago today I finished my bike ride across the Florida Keys. I went back and looked at some of the pictures and was like, holy shit, I did that. I planned it and practiced for it and I fucking soloed on a bicycle from Key West almost to Key Largo, with you guys in my corner the whole way, 98 actual miles in less than a week. It was a very Bohdi moment.

I kinda want to do it again.

large.58d19154d2aa6_IMG_2461copy.JPG.04ab669d96cc18f56c81f1228111edaf.JPG

(worst selfie ever)

large.58d191568658f_IMG_2512copy.JPG.947ed0298cad22f278d7f9f8a54f99f0.JPG

• Like 8

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Your challenge write-ups are always amazing to read. (And also your trip was a year ago? I remember those pictures what happened to the time?)

• Like 1

Starting Weight:     220lbs

Current Weight:     230lbs

Goal Weight:            150lbs

Reboot 2: Perfectionism Horse

Reboot 1: Charity Masquerade Wheel II Wheel Triumphant Present Stumbles

Past Challenges: 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

3 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

BECOMING BOHDI!

Yes, I have designed my challenge around the greatest surf-riding savant of modern cinema. We have, after all, a ton in common:

- passion for the nature and the sea

- thirst for adventure and travel

- perfect blonde highlights and slightly androgynous surfer-chick hair

- urge to buck the system and travel light

I started meditating during my last challenge and doing Wim Hof breathing exercises, and holy cow does it make a difference. So goal number 1 is to continue meditating daily.

Oh lord, one of my favorite movies.  Honestly Bodhi is one of my favorite characters of all time (and I love him even more in the remake).

Also been looking into the Wim Hof Method lately myself, I'll be interested to see where this journey takes you!

3 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I mean, he's not Jason Momoa or anything...

large.9e25ae66364dad9fcb4afa0668ecb4a0.jpg.d42bb33ffbe6ced49d4bb800062dabeb.jpg

...but that's not the question at hand. Actually after looking at that picture I can't remember what the question was. I may need a moment.

I hadn't seen that picture yet but it has #goals written all over it.  It's the Hawaiian Barbarian, pure monster.  Magnificent.

• Like 1

[Level ?] Veteran Dwarf Slayer (Path of the Zealot Barbarian/Champion Fighter)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Vanquisher's Leathers, Gridle & War Shroud, Howling War Axe (rare), Adventurer's pack & Dwarven alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

You had me at Bodhi

Momoa sealed the deal

I can't begin to count how many times I have seen Point Break. I think my college roommate and I watched it at least twice a week our sophomore year.

• Like 2

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

Following along! Yaaaaaay meditation!

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

On 3/21/2017 at 6:19 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

First to follow!*

I wouldn't miss this.

*only because Tank is sick.

yaaaaaaay! You may wish you'd missed it after I complain about doing the Sufferfest program a few times.

On 3/21/2017 at 6:19 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I knew this day would come. Forgive me, I must slink off and go be one with my dishonor.

So many directions to go with this one...

On 3/21/2017 at 6:22 PM, Atrytone said:

Your challenge write-ups are always amazing to read.

That is the best compliment ever! I always wonder if they're too rambly and weird.

On 3/21/2017 at 6:22 PM, Atrytone said:

(And also your trip was a year ago? I remember those pictures what happened to the time?)

To me it feels like it was five years ago. This year has been a wild ride.

On 3/21/2017 at 10:06 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Also been looking into the Wim Hof Method lately myself, I'll be interested to see where this journey takes you!

I'm hoping it will help with my workouts and snorkeling a lot. Also it's very calming when combined with the meditation.

On 3/21/2017 at 10:06 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

I hadn't seen that picture yet but it has #goals written all over it.  It's the Hawaiian Barbarian, pure monster.  Magnifice

He's quite something, no?

BTW there was a guy at the gym Tuesday that looked just like you, but not so well-developed thru the traps.

On 3/21/2017 at 10:31 PM, honeybadger said:

You had me at Bodhi

Momoa sealed the deal

I can't begin to count how many times I have seen Point Break. I think my college roommate and I watched it at least twice a week our sophomore year.

I've seen it at least five thousand times.

And is it a coincidence that Patrick Swayze is the God of all Surfers and Jason Momoa is Aquaman? 

I say not!

22 hours ago, Haikoo said:

Belize <3 That sounds lovely. I'm so tired of the cold. You just look the other way while I slip into this suitcase...

I get an extra bag with my skymiles, just leave the zipper open a bit so you can breathe.

20 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Following along! Yaaaaaay meditation!

Yay! please feel free to bring snax from your kitchen. Meditation makes me hungry.

• Like 2

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

31 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

BTW there was a guy at the gym Tuesday that looked just like you, but not so well-developed thru the traps.

And is it a coincidence that Patrick Swayze is the God of all Surfers and Jason Momoa is Aquaman?

I seem to have doppelgangers all over the world, probably lesser clones of the authentic thing.  The latter part I'm taking as a compliment toward my swoleness.  ;)

Was gonna save this for a rainy day, but who says I can't make use of it again and again?

2Q==

• Like 5

[Level ?] Veteran Dwarf Slayer (Path of the Zealot Barbarian/Champion Fighter)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Vanquisher's Leathers, Gridle & War Shroud, Howling War Axe (rare), Adventurer's pack & Dwarven alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

35 minutes ago, TiffanyD said:

Love the challenge, following along for that cardio buzz I refuse to do myself, lol.

large.efa4b3a3b082ccbdb28328726c2f4ab7.jpg.84c3cfbc99496dc8724e903100b9e914.jpg

• Like 4

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

I got sucked into to watching Point Break (again!!) last summer. I flipped channels and it was a scene early in the movie where Keanu is at the beach shower, some guy starts beating up on him, and Patrick Swayze jumps in to help Keanu. The fighting might have been completely bogus, but it was beautiful the watch the way Swayze moved. So graceful (and of course not hard to look at).

Your trip last year was sooo epic. I'm still proud of you for doing it!

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I can't think of Point Break without thinking of Hot Fuzz

hot pandawhale sitepandawhalecom fuzz foreshadow GIF movies god hot fuzz masteiece damned GIF

Following of course

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

On 3/23/2017 at 11:48 AM, DJtrippyT said:

large.efa4b3a3b082ccbdb28328726c2f4ab7.jpg.84c3cfbc99496dc8724e903100b9e914.jpg

Ahahahaha this is amazing. 

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

On 3/27/2017 at 5:59 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

I can't think of Point Break without thinking of Hot Fuzz

hot pandawhale sitepandawhalecom fuzz foreshadow GIF movies god hot fuzz masteiece damned GIF

Following of course

Hot Fuzz is one of my favorite movies!

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

Quick week one/week two semi update. My cold returned with a vengance and I think I'm finally over it now, but wow I had a rough few days. 

Last week was a bit of a train wreck because my boyfriend invited his niece and nephew to stay with us (ages 11 and 13) during their spring break without asking me about it, and then when he told me they were coming he said he'd taken the week off to do stuff with them, but it turned out he did NOT take the week off, and so I wound up babysitting them Monday Tuesday Wednesday until his schedule freed up. I don't like myself for being as pissed off about this as I was but I really felt it was a bit of a dick move on his part.

So due to sickness and babysitting I only got one gym workout and one bike ride in last week, but I'm not going to beat myself up about that because it really was out of my control. I also worked all day Thursday Friday and Saturday on a really dirty sound stage and that did not help my sickitude (One of the crew guys on the job came up to me and asked, "what percentage of the dust in here do you think is actually asbestos?" and someone else chimed in, "90%".)

I did get one meditation session in, and I feel like I should mention as part of my stress management attempts I actually turned down a project that was hopelessly underfunded and I could tell was going to leave me brain-damaged and in tears at some point, and I'm pretty pleased with myself for that. I didn't even make up some lie that I was about to go hike the Appalachian Trail or something and wasn't available; I just told the guy "You don't have enough money to do what you're talking about and I'm not willing to sign on to it." Yay for me.

Week two was mostly still recovering from whatever this bronchial thing of death I had is (I'm 90% better now). I rode my bike trainer once so far this week but haven't been to the gym. Meditated once or twice - can't remember - and will do that again today, and ride my bike today. 

Haven't saved any money toward travel; good thing this is a two-part challenge ;)

will catch up with everyone shortly...

• Like 3

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

On 3/30/2017 at 11:36 AM, DJtrippyT said:

I did get one meditation session in, and I feel like I should mention as part of my stress management attempts I actually turned down a project that was hopelessly underfunded and I could tell was going to leave me brain-damaged and in tears at some point, and I'm pretty pleased with myself for that. I didn't even make up some lie that I was about to go hike the Appalachian Trail or something and wasn't available; I just told the guy "You don't have enough money to do what you're talking about and I'm not willing to sign on to it." Yay for me.

Yay for you indeed!!!!

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

On 3/30/2017 at 0:37 PM, Xena said:

That post has so much ridiculousness in it that I'm still shaking my head. What the heck is wrong with everybody???!! Good for you telling the guy he was delusional (in a nicer way)

it was made even better by near-psychedelic doses of cold medication. 

I'm getting better at knowing what I'm just being lazy about and what's actually beyond my control and therefore exempt form self-flagellation. There was a lot of the latter in that post.

On 3/30/2017 at 2:03 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

With your cake-flirting skills you obviously have options. Your boyfriend should be nicer to you.

Right? Nobody can finesse cake from the unsuspecting like I can. I LOVE cake.

He's been nicer than usual to me lately. (Not that he's normally some sort of beast; he's just supremely indifferent most of the time). I think he knows I've mentally punched my ticket on this mess.

On 3/30/2017 at 3:41 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Super proud of you for saying no to the tears project. 

On 4/1/2017 at 11:39 PM, honeybadger said:

Yay for you indeed!!!!

I'm getting better at it :) 

It's hard when you're freelance because saying no to a project means a direct hit to the bottom line, but there's gotta be limits. And if I'm going to put in X-days of work but only get paid for X-minus 50%, then it's not as hard to say no.

Various updates: 

Saturday I did a squat workout at the gym. Haven't done that for power in a while, plus still a bit weak from being sick so I topped out at 3 sets at 115 which is low for me, but I was okay with it. (Set 1 15 reps, Set 2 & 3 10 reps).  That technically goes on Week two's workouts.

Sunday I did 16 miles on the bike, on a hilly course. Did pretty well, but the hills combined with the squats the day before left me feeling like angry animals were gnawing on my quads for the rest of the day. Something small and vicious, like a badger. Ouch.

That all goes on last week. I meditated several times, but they were scattery sessions. Today and yesterday meditated and it was more focused, so that felt good. I can also do my Wim Hof breathing exercises without going into a coughing spasm.

I may start alternating meditating with yoga so I stay stretchy. It's hard to fit everything in :)

No workout yesterday - see the angry badgers, above - but today I'll do the gym and tomorrow ride on my bike trainer. I like having access to the trainer but it's a pain taking the bike on and off. I'm using it to do interval training to really kick my butt for shorter workouts.

I spent a lot of time Sunday prepping for the week so I could have a productive week, and I feel like it's helping.

Haven't saved any extra money towards travel, but putting a bunch of stuff on ebay tomorrow. We sold my old PT cruiser, which has been rotting in the driveway for a year, to a scrap guy, and my share of that was a couple hundred bucks, so that goes into the travel fund.

I need to see how far I can get on my current supply of frequent flyer miles. Hmmmmmmm

• Like 2

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

8 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I meditated several times, but they were scattery sessions.

You might already know this, but there is actually a fancy sanscrit phrase for that: Chitta vritta mind (monkey brain)  https://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/04/chitta-vritti-caroline-young/  (not necessarily endorsing the blog...was just an example I found). It's one of my favorite yoga-ish terms.

I don't know the sanscrit for angry badgers gnawing on the quads.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016