Valkyrie Learns To Love (running)

x Valkyrie x

6fa9ed9661113b92df4830d3266b5280_an-erro

I'm back!! Following a hiatus where I was mostly on the Eat To Perform Facebook page, I missed my NF community, so here I am again, the prodigal daughter! =p 

Because I'm a week late and sort of just trying to catch up, there's currently no new fancy bullet journal layout...I'm just using the Year Long Workout Tracker I made at the start of the year and have actually been consistent in filling out! Woo! I'm also using the Calendar layout on my macbook spreadsheet program to help me get a training schedule figured out. Though, looking at my goals, I will probably work up a layout to keep track of All The Things. =)

So, what's up with me this time around: 

I'm on Eat to Perform and I'm at the lowest weight I've been since I was 18 (currently at 144.8, that's 20 lbs down from where I started last July)! I'm on Performance macros, so I'm expecting my weight to stay right around the 145 mark for the next couple of months while I train for my Spartan Trifecta (I haven't figured out where I'm doing the Beast yet...but man, I am SO leaning towards Italy or England, because why the hell not? =p), as well as for a metric century bike ride in May (that's 62 miles, I believe). It's mostly flat, but endurance activities are my weakest area (because of my brain, not my body), so it'll be a good test of mental strength. I almost signed up for a Ragnar race with some coworkers, but the team filled up, so I'm on the alternate list in case someone drops out and not sure if I'm disappointed or relieved...

OH! And, I just got a pair of zero drop Altra Intuition 4's, which are the fanciest pair of shoes I've ever owned, and they don't squish my toes at all, and also there are no holes in the mesh (my ASICS are about 5 years old and my toes were starting to stick out the sides...they're now garden shoes lol). I love them. I haven't run in them yet, but my old shoe had an 11 mm drop, so i'm going to ease into running with these ones.

Food has been pretty successful these days. I'm not always green on my macros, but I'd say I am more often than not, the scale is doing what I want it to (not moving very much in either direction, that is), and I'm eating SO MUCH! Gone are the days of 1100 to 1400 calories a day (what in hell was I thinking?? That's not enough food to fuel a toddler!) I'm eating an average of 2100 a day, and I feel a lot better and my training is definitely benefiting from it!

With all that in mind, let's get to the Goals! 

Goals In Order To Be Successful At All The Fitness Things (AKA: Missions Required To Become More Like Lara Croft)

• H2O: 100 oz every day, can count tea and Fresca
  • In bed with lights off by 9:15 pm the night before the gym 
  • Running Mileage: 3 Runs/week, 6 miles total, and maybe increase it each week if I seem to be adapting well.
    •  1 of each: 1 mi, 2 mi, 3 mi to start off with, I think, because I want to increase the frequency that I run, but I also want to work up my mileage slowly to avoid injury, especially as I'm getting used to my new shoes, and to overcome the "I hate this so much, I'm not going to do it" attitude I've had most of my life about running...I don't really know what I'm doing, do any smarter running people have a better idea? 
  • Strength and Conditioning: 3 days total: 2 strength days (1 arms, 1 legs), 1 personal training day 
    • most of my lifting is built into a HIIT circuit, which I love and is great for Spartan training, but I'd also like to make sure that I'm spending some more time on straight lifting to work on increasing my muscle mass/power as well as my muscular endurance. When I'm doing a hard circuit, sometimes I go lighter on the weight because it's more about endurance, so I want to ensure I'm focusing on increasing my overall weight capacity, as well.
  • Cycle: 3 cycle days a week: 1 intense cycle session, either a longer ride(25+ miles) or a higher intensity ride (hills, sprints, something like that), and 2 just for fun rides because I love it and it's finally getting warmer.

Non-Fitness Goals (AKA: Missions That Would Improve My Quality of Life And/Or Adulting That Needs To Be Done)

• Write 60 minutes a week (in whatever combination of time suits me, on whatever tickles my fancy)
  • Read a book before the end of the challenge (My friend lent me a book, I think it's called Station Eleven (or Station Twelve?? Can't remember...), so I should start that!) 
  • Pay off credit card this month (My tax return came in and I get paid 3 times this month. It hurts, but I think I can pay off an entire credit card if I bite the bullet and just do it, which would leave me with 1 interest-accruing card left, and my student loans, and significantly decrease the burden of debt payments for the Big Move...I gotta talk to the Mister about finances and stuff, but I think it can be done without putting us in a bind) 
  • If finances then permit:
    • Order bridesmaid dress for friend's wedding in July (either this month or next to ensure I'm not cutting it close for shipping times)
    • Book a room for Payette, Idaho for Spartan Sprint in June (sooner rather than later, probably)

Tentative Training Schedule(with macro rhythm)

Sun              Mon           Tues              Wed              Thurs             Fri                     Sat
Low             High           Med               Med              Low               Super               Med
Run(1)          Cycle(1)     Lift: Legs       Lift: Arms      Cycle(2)         Cycle: Long(3)  Lift: Spartan (HIIT or whatever we end up doing)
                                                            Run(2)                                 Run(3)

I think I'd probably do the 2 or 3 mile run on Friday in conjunction with my long bike ride, because I get ALL THE CARBS on Friday, and it's my day off, so I have time and inclination for those kinds of shenanigans. I could be doing any of the 3 mileage options on Sunday, because I'm running with my friend so it just depends on where she's at, running-wise, so I'll probably use that day to decide the rest of my running week.

I'll give this a shot, and see if it feels like overtraining...I want the Monday and Thursday bike rides to be rest day intensity, just super chill and about as strenuous as a nice brisk walk, so hopefully that'll be enough rest on Mondays and Thursdays to make up for everything else I want to do, while still getting me some miles on the bike. (I rode my bike yesterday for the first time this year! An easy 10 miles that would not have been so easy to me a year ago, woohoo, but boy was I kind of saddle sore today!) 

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

• Like 1

Woot! Yay happy to see you back! Just adding miles to my runs over time really helped build up distance pretty quickly. Adding 1 mile makes it build up really fast but you could also just do .25 or .5 to begin with. Once you start building up miles you'll adapt.

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

5 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Woot! Yay happy to see you back! Just adding miles to my runs over time really helped build up distance pretty quickly. Adding 1 mile makes it build up really fast but you could also just do .25 or .5 to begin with. Once you start building up miles you'll adapt.

Thanks! I'm gonna get there. I'm gonna try zombies, run! for the craic, I think. 

Water: done! For the first time in over a month! 

Sunday Run: nope...lazy, lazy, lazy, and thinking of trading out my shoes for a half size down,so wanted to wait tI'll I get a chance to try those before I take them outside. I'll run tomorrow after work. :)

• Like 1

Congrats on the weight loss. Glad you came back here. I was looking at the Eat to Perform Macros, it looks like a good plan. I may try and follow it 

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

5 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Thanks! I'm gonna get there. I'm gonna try zombies, run! for the craic, I think. 

Zombies, Run! is a lot of fun. I do use it. It's especially useful to add some speed work into the mix and the story does add a nice level of distraction especially on long runs.

I need to look at Eat to Perform :)

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Running and Spartan trifectas? I'm in! Be careful when increasing your mileage per week. The rule is that you should only increase your weekly mileage by 10% per week to prevent over training (injury). I don't think this rule is perfect, but it's good to use it as a guideline.

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Congrats on the weight loss. Glad you came back here. I was looking at the Eat to Perform Macros, it looks like a good plan. I may try and follow it 

Thanks! It was worth the investment to me to get the extra guidance, and it's working well so far. Sometimes it gets tiresome to have to be so proactive about meal planning, but I'm getting used to it. I feel like i have way more energy consistently, and I can see the body recomp happening slowly but surely!

4 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Zombies, Run! is a lot of fun. I do use it. It's especially useful to add some speed work into the mix and the story does add a nice level of distraction especially on long runs.

I need to look at Eat to Perform :)

I think ETP would be right up your alley! 

55 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Running and Spartan trifectas? I'm in! Be careful when increasing your mileage per week. The rule is that you should only increase your weekly mileage by 10% per week to prevent over training (injury). I don't think this rule is perfect, but it's good to use it as a guideline.

Its going to be a fun summer!!

That seems reasonable! I ran/walked 5.6 miles last week, so I'll see how 6 feels this week :)

• Like 1

Thanks to @jonfirestar, I learned about the 15% off Spartan UK coupon, and then I begged Mister Honeybunches ( who didn't need much persuading, honestly...he spoils me!), so...ya know....I'm going to Windsor in September for the Spartan Beast! OMG TRIFECTA! OMG ENGLAND! OMG RUNNING WITH THE MISTER! SQUEEE! We have ridiculous nicknames for each other (he's "Wilbur" and I'm "Poodle"....way back in the early days of our courtship, we showed affection by making fun of each other, in the tried and true tradition of elementary school children everywhere =p), so our team name is "Team Woodle" HAHA! (I'm more than a little bit thrilled....can you tell?)

Also, I found out that Altra is a SUPER local brand, as in, there was an outlet store less than a mile from my work! so I got a pair of Altra zero drop Intuition 3.5's for....$15!! That's FIFTEEN bucks. OMG. So, i'm gonna take back my $115 Altra 4's, which I haven't worn outside, tomorrow, and start running tomorrow morning or after work in my $15 shoes...I may also go back to the outlet and get a pair of trail shoes too, cuz why the heck not. 

I also got to have a whole pint of Halo Top Peanut Butter Cup, with a banana and hershey's sauce. It's been a good day. 

I haven't hit either of my workouts this week, but I'm going tomorrow and it's going to be AWESOME! 

Here's my plan:

Burpees x30

Pull-ups c Blue Band 3x6 (one set to warm up, one set after DLs/Squats/Split Squats, third set after Box jumps/Skater lunges/fast sled push)

Push-ups 3x10 

Deadlifts 3x10x95 

Squats 3x10x50 

Bulgarian split squats 3x10x15 

Box Jumps 3x12

Skater Lunges 3x10

Fast sled Push 3x200'x55 

Burpees x30

Heavy Sled Push 200'x410 

I'm going to make sure I'm out of the house by 6:20 to give me a little extra time to do all the things. Also, banana nut pancakes are SO featuring in my post workout snack...can't wait! 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

, I learned about the 15% off Spartan UK coupon, and then I begged Mister Honeybunches ( who didn't need much persuading, honestly...he spoils me!), so...ya know....I'm going to Windsor in September for the Spartan Beast! OMG TRIFECTA! OMG ENGLAND! OMG RUNNING WITH THE MISTER! SQUEEE! We have ridiculous nicknames for each other (he's "Wilbur" and I'm "Poodle"....way back in the early days of our courtship, we showed affection by making fun of each other, in the tried and true tradition of elementary school children everywhere =p), so our team name is "Team Woodle" HAHA! (I'm more than a little bit thrilled....can you tell?)

Woot! It's gonna be awesome!

You seriously got a pair of altra's for 15 bucks? I'm really jealous :P

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

So excited for you that you and your guy get to  do the run together!!

With Eat To Perform did you buy the coaching service or the books or both. I've pondered getting the books. Also do they have stuff for after you've hit the weight you want or is it directed for weight loss?

• Like 1

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

37 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

So excited for you that you and your guy get to  do the run together!!

With Eat To Perform did you buy the coaching service or the books or both. I've pondered getting the books. Also do they have stuff for after you've hit the weight you want or is it directed for weight loss?

Thanks, I'm so excited!

It's actually more focused on performance overall. there's different macros for different goals, and the goals are Fat Loss, Performance (which is more body recomp/improving performanxe while maintaining weight, which is what I'm on) and Strength gain (to put on mass). I bought the coaching service, but not the books. I ended up doing the one time fee for the  lifetime membership because it was more economical to me than a monthly bill, but I think it's something you can do for a while and then implement on your own later. 

• Like 2

Nailed my workout today, and already feeling it in my quads- my squat form has improved since I've been striving to be a supple leopard :P

Dementia Wing Story of the Day: I literally deadlifted a 95 lb woman who refused to weight bear and tried to crumple to the ground. I hoisted her up and put her in her chair before she could hit the floor. Talk about functional fitness lol, we'd have both gone down pre-gainz. (Thank God she's a tiny person)

Yesterday's D-Wing Story: this super funny fellow introduced our OTA to me as his "super special number one friend." omg dying from cuteness. 

I worked out that there's 10 weeks till Ragnar....I'm on the wait list so I probably won't get a chance to run, but I figure I may as well train for it. If I add a half mile a week to my overall distance, I should be to (2) 4 mile runs and (1) 5 mile run by that time...and I reckon I'll probably advance a bit faster than that. So that's my plan.(I may have told a little fib and told my Ragnar coworker that I was already running 5k...but I know I CAN run a 5k, I just haven't particularly wanted to, but I'm motivated now, so itll be true really soon :p) Tomorrow I'm gonna get my 2 or 3 miler in on the treadmill with a gym buddy, and then planning to do some arms/conditioning stuff if I have time. 

I decided I'm gonna make a big batch of cottage cheese pancakes and freeze them, for quick breakfast/snacks, and meal prep deviled eggs and tuna salad this weekend for next week. 

I'd also love a savory low carb high protein breakfast casserole/quiche/something that reheats well, recipes anyone?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

I worked out that there's 10 weeks till Ragnar....I'm on the wait list so I probably won't get a chance to run, but I figure I may as well train for it. If I add a half mile a week to my overall distance, I should be to (2) 4 mile runs and (1) 5 mile run by that time...and I reckon I'll probably advance a bit faster than that. So that's my plan.(I may have told a little fib and told my Ragnar coworker that I was already running 5k...but I know I CAN run a 5k, I just haven't particularly wanted to, but I'm motivated now, so itll be true really soon :p) Tomorrow I'm gonna get my 2 or 3 miler in on the treadmill with a gym buddy, and then planning to do some arms/conditioning stuff if I have time.

Yeah that'll do it :P I'll readily admit that being about 5 weeks out from a 13 mile Tough Mudder is a huge part of the reason I'm motivated to go do 10 mile runs every weekend!

Awesome D-Wing Story by the way. It is always truly amazing when you perform a feat of strength or endurance that you realize that your whole ability to have pulled that off was solely due to the work you've been putting into the gym! Great work!

also freezable cottage cheese pancakes, do tell more :) I'll swap you for a breakfast casserole recipe although my one is pretty boring. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Nailed my workout again! 

3x ( pull ups c purple band 3x (less assistance than blue band),bench press x10 #55 (PR!), monkey bars)

3x (Arnold press x10 #15, bent over row x10 (B)#30)

3x (fire hose x30",burpees c bosu ball plank to OHP and jump x10, farmers carry x200' #45 each hand).

Mobility work: shoulder mobility on foam roller, back bend.

Something clicked with the monkey bars today, I figured out the bicycle-legs part of it, and it got a lot easier!!

17 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Yeah that'll do it :P I'll readily admit that being about 5 weeks out from a 13 mile Tough Mudder is a huge part of the reason I'm motivated to go do 10 mile runs every weekend!

Awesome D-Wing Story by the way. It is always truly amazing when you perform a feat of strength or endurance that you realize that your whole ability to have pulled that off was solely due to the work you've been putting into the gym! Great work!

also freezable cottage cheese pancakes, do tell more :) I'll swap you for a breakfast casserole recipe although my one is pretty boring. 

I don't blame ya, it's great motivation! One of the gym employees invite me to join his team for the Ragnar in May...it's about 3 weeks sooner, plus I don't know the people, so I'm hesitant on both counts...but I'm still hopeful for getting on my work team.

I haven't tried them yet, but I'm hopeful! 

• 2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 - 16 oz container (or 2 cups) low-fat cottage cheese
  • 2 cups egg whites
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 2-3 tsp honey / sweetener
  • 1 tsp vanilla

it says to blend the oats into a powder first, but I reckon I'm just going mix it all together since like the oats kind of chunky in the banana pancakes! 

• Like 2

Woot for monkey bar wins!

• Like 2

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

On 28/03/2017 at 0:31 PM, x Valkyrie x said:

Haha gimme your size in US, I'll bring you a pair in September :P

Ohhh 10.5, if you do find some for $15 I can pay you back when we own that Spartan Beast :)

So I owe you breakfast casserole. I did warn you mine is really boring but here goes: I use a standard template and just multiply the quantities for the portions I am making:

2 rashers of bacon

2 eggs

25g cheese (1oz)

cup of spinach

1 cup of mushrooms

Slice all the things. Sauté the bacon until it's crispy add the veggies and fry until soft. Beat the eggs. Put all the things into a big baking dish. Add the eggs and the cheese and bake for 45 minutes at umm 350, I guess or until it passes the 'toothpick test'

Macros:

442 Calories

carbs: 7g

fat 28g

protein 41g

Obviously if you aren't a big, huge, gets to eat lots and lots of calories,  person like me you could half the portion size to get more favourable calorie stats.

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Ohhh 10.5, if you do find some for $15 I can pay you back when we own that Spartan Beast :)

So I owe you breakfast casserole. I did warn you mine is really boring but here goes: I use a standard template and just multiply the quantities for the portions I am making:

2 rashers of bacon

2 eggs

25g cheese (1oz)

cup of spinach

1 cup of mushrooms

Slice all the things. Sauté the bacon until it's crispy add the veggies and fry until soft. Beat the eggs. Put all the things into a big baking dish. Add the eggs and the cheese and bake for 45 minutes at umm 350, I guess or until it passes the 'toothpick test'

Macros:

442 Calories

carbs: 7g

fat 28g

protein 41g

Obviously if you aren't a big, huge, gets to eat lots and lots of calories,  person like me you could half the portion size to get more favourable calorie stats.

Ha, deal, I'll see what I can find when I go to the outlet next! 

Thanks! Mmm that's perfect for my low carb day, actually! (I seriously eat so much now...I don't know how I functioned before....) I bet it'd be so good with feta or goat cheese, too, and you could swap out for kale if you want something more toothsome sometimes...it's like the perfect swappable template. Yay!  

• Like 1

I've had an extended weekend, and it's been blissful and full of success!

Friday: I ran 1.70 miles in 18 minutes without stopping, the first time I've done that since before winter! I used Map My Run, and that really helped me to stay motivated, also, my Altra's are like fecking air. I love them so much. 

Saturday: I did my Spartan training with my friends, and I PR'd my deadlift at 3x5x135! That's 45 lbs MORE than my previous highest weight...Guess it's time to re-evaluate my abilities, because I had no clue I could do that! As I say to my patients, "confidence is at least half the battle," and I guess it's true!  

Also, I attempted to do a monkey bar jump, so like skipping a bar by letting go with both hands to catch the next one...it was terrifying, and my first couple of attempts I couldn't quite make myself let go with both hands...then I DID let go with both hands and....fell like a stone straight onto my back because I didn't bring my arms forward fast enough. I scared my friends because I was laughing and crying at the same time while I tried to get my wind back. My one friend who said he'd spot me felt really horrible and I had to keep reassuring him that I was okay lol. But I'm not discouraged, I'm going to try again, and maybe have 2 people spot me, with a soft mat underneath, cause I'm really terrible at those kinds of full body movements and I need practice. (Did I ever tell how I tried to climb a wall and didn't time my jump right, so I just ran into face first? This was kind of like that, but with falling incorporated into it)

Today: Same Spartan friends were supposed to go running with me, but they wimped out because there's a chance of rain...laaame. So I'm gonna go to the gym with my mom and do some body weight stuff with her and maybe run, too.

• Like 3

Friday: I ran 1.70 miles in 18 minutes without stopping, the first time I've done that since before winter! I used Map My Run, and that really helped me to stay motivated, also, my Altra's are like fecking air. I love them so much. 

Amazing! I'm gonna say it though. If you hit 18 minutes with ease then 30 minutes for that 5k isn't going to be a problem! From there it is all about time on your feet. Add slowly because the more miles you put into your legs the easier more miles become.

You are actually owning all the things! A 135lbs deadlift for 5 at 144 body-weight is no joke! It means you've probably got a full body weight lift in you soon!

Today: Same Spartan friends were supposed to go running with me, but they wimped out because there's a chance of rain...laaame. So I'm gonna go to the gym with my mom and do some body weight stuff with her and maybe run, too.

Maybe you should gently remind them that getting cold and wet is almost certainly going to feature in your race :P although that might scare them off.

• Like 2

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Agreeing with Jon on the Spartan  weather. Your friends do know that the race isn't  cancelled if it rains, right?:) Woot for bravery points with the monkey bar jump!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2017 at 4:24 PM, x Valkyrie x said:

Also, I attempted to do a monkey bar jump, so like skipping a bar by letting go with both hands to catch the next one...it was terrifying, and my first couple of attempts I couldn't quite make myself let go with both hands...then I DID let go with both hands and....fell like a stone straight onto my back because I didn't bring my arms forward fast enough. I scared my friends because I was laughing and crying at the same time while I tried to get my wind back. My one friend who said he'd spot me felt really horrible and I had to keep reassuring him that I was okay lol. But I'm not discouraged, I'm going to try again, and maybe have 2 people spot me, with a soft mat underneath, cause I'm really terrible at those kinds of full body movements and I need practice

Flying Monkey! I really want to learn how to do that too as it looks so bad-ass.

Here is a great video that breaks down the flying monkey into smaller steps for you to practice. The sexy French accent of this chap is a nice little bonus too. :D

Spoiler

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

On 4/2/2017 at 1:07 PM, jonfirestar said:

Amazing! I'm gonna say it though. If you hit 18 minutes with ease then 30 minutes for that 5k isn't going to be a problem! From there it is all about time on your feet. Add slowly because the more miles you put into your legs the easier more miles become.

Thanks! I got my 6 miles this week, pretty easily! I did a 5k walk/run with a Spartan team mate and I think I'm gonna get it one go in the next week, we'll see if it's 30 minutes lol. 

You are actually owning all the things! A 135lbs deadlift for 5 at 144 body-weight is no joke! It means you've probably got a full body weight lift in you soon!

Haha, thanks, it didn't feel like I owned this week, but I guess it wasn't so bad! I reckon I could do at least one at my full body weight with good form...maybe I'll try it this week!

Maybe you should gently remind them that getting cold and wet is almost certainly going to feature in your race :P although that might scare them off.

No kidding, right?! 

On 4/5/2017 at 8:06 PM, Elastigirl said:

Agreeing with Jon on the Spartan  weather. Your friends do know that the race isn't  cancelled if it rains, right?:) Woot for bravery points with the monkey bar jump!

Haha! We're probably going to have extremely hot, dry weather, but also probably some water obstacles, so discomfort is going to be a thing, either way! I'll remind them of that next time...

On 4/6/2017 at 5:05 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

Flying Monkey! I really want to learn how to do that too as it looks so bad-ass.

Here is a great video that breaks down the flying monkey into smaller steps for you to practice. The sexy French accent of this chap is a nice little bonus too. :D

Hide contents

Thanks for this, and giving it a name haha, I had no clue what it was called. I'm gonna work up to it!

• Like 1

Ok, weekly recap because I ghosted this week:

Runs: 3 for a total of 6.1 miles

Strength: 3 (counting tomorrow), really struggled to get these this week, but got them done in the second half of the week!

Water: haven't been tracking formally, but been drinking three or four 26 Oz bottles a day :)

Cycling: no cycling :(

Adulting: my bridesmaid dress arived in the mail today, and fits pretty well for online order! 

Reading a bit, a book called Station Eleven, it's good so far :)

Writing: not much, but a bit 

• Like 1