*shyly Waves* Er...Hi guys...

So plucking up the courage to post a hi and intro. 

I stumbled on the Rebellion having googled for vegetarian Paleo diets and read the blog by nomeatathleate.  I was looking for info on Paleo having several years back had it recommended to me by a surprisingly alternative doctor as a good diet for my PCOS and diabetes (T2).  I half hearted looked at the sheet she gave me and then just continued the usual diet high in grains, cheese and processed veggie foods without much thought.  Though it is not an excuse, at the time I was far from the right place to consider it seriously.  Fast forward a nearly a decade and some downward spirals in life, mental health and physical health and I was beginning to look at it again as a viable option.  (That and my baby brother's wedding is this August, I had started slimming world and lost 1/2 stone but had gotten stuck at the same weight on that for weeks.  I suspected the allowance of unlimited pasta and potatoes - two of my main staples - were to blame; time for a new track I thought.)

I followed the link from the blog and my mind was BLOWN...Kah-boom! I had expected to find a detailed look into paleo as the link promised, I did not expect to find my people!  With in moments of skim reading and clicking on new pages on Nerd Fitness I was hooked.  As a  player and DM/GM of D&D, pathfinder and other paper and pen RPGs, a lover of the fantasy and sci-fi genre and a self confessed Geek it was a breath of fresh air and a thrown line of rope symbolising hope.  Hope that I could find a path to change that so far I had understood logically I needed to do, but had never been able to commit to. 

With a couple of credits to spare on Audible I decided to invest one of them in Level up your life.   I figured it would give me an insight to Nerd Fitness and would help decided if I wanted to sign up for the academy; which I do, I just need to start saving towards it.

I am about two thirds through the book now and still loving every word that rings true and backs up most of what my psychologist has been telling me this past year :D but in a way that truly resonated to me at a soul level. 

I did the first few challenges on the free intro emails from Steve, and signed up for my free character.  Built a modest epic quest list and picked a few of the NF quests that interested and suited me at this stage.  I've even managed to level up to 3rd level with some of the quests like meditation, geocaching, walking and nutrition as I began to introduce more paleo friendly food, though I am not fully off dairy (remembering the recommendation by my Dr to allow some natural yoghurt, I have included that and some cheese, I had already switched to nut milks a while back to reduce my dairy and intend to make my own to keep them paleo.)  Just the small changes have made a difference, in the two weeks I have eaten two thirds paleo I would guess and I broke past that nasty block in my weight loss to loose another 4lbs over the 2 weeks. 

I'm still emerging from the darkness of  the past two years when life went wrong, again, my general anxiety disorder and social anxiety went haywire, my depression kicked in following redundancies, family death and awkward home life.  I am now at a place I can start to think about rebuilding my life a step or two at a time, so finding NF was the perfect thing at the perfect time for me.  (Long may it continue to be so).

Where I want to be:

A healthy weight for me, something I have NEVER been with constant weight battles with my PCOS, but getting a handle of my weight would help control both PCOS and my Diabetes.

More flexible and fitter, able to keep up with my nephew and niece, do activities again that I have put on hold or are unable to at my current levels.

More balanced mentally, in better control of my anxieties and depression.  I am more susceptible to my mental health issues when I am run down, eating crap and not getting outside.

More determined, there are so many things I want to do and try that I either talk myself out of doing or loose focus/motivation for half way through. 

Running my own business as I really struggle in many work places with my hyper sensitivity profile and mental health.

Mastering Tai Chi, I have done some before and prefer it to yoga at this stage of my journey, not to say I wont in the future take up yoga too :D

Able to help others to find their paths and improve their lives.

Get back to meditation and Reiki as a daily practice. I want to reconnect with both and possibly start teaching since I have my masters in Reiki.

Reconnect with nature.

Feeling like I am living my life and not just watching it pass me by!

...I guess that will do for starters eh? :D

Anyhoo its nice to finally get round to posting an intro (sorry its a bit long, this was me restraining myself  >.<  I know right!) It may take me a little while to find my feet about here, but I look forward to meeting you all (at least virtually) and joining you on this EPIC journey!

• Like 1

Hey!!!!  It sounds like you are going to LOVE this place, I really hope you enjoy being a member.  Lots of people on here have joined the academy but lots of us haven't.   Many people find the 4 Week Challenges a really good structure to work with.  The latest challenge has already started but there's no reason you couldn't join in if you wanted to, or maybe you would find it useful to just follow a few people's challenge threads this time around so that you can get an idea of what it's like?  You will find lots of people with similar interests and goals and following (and encouraging) other people who share your interests is a great way of making friends and building up your own support network.

Congrats on breaking through your plateau!  I'm so glad that you've had such amazing results so far and you will probably find that things get  You'll find lots of people on here follow a paleo diet but there's just as many who don't, or who follow what's called a primal diet too which is similar to paleo but does include some dairy (if I remember right).  The biggest piece of advice I would give to anyone starting the paleo diet is not to worry about trying to eat 100% paleo or even not to beat yourself up if you find that actually you just can't go 100%.  Not all of us can and your diet is something that you should tailor to suit yourself and your own needs.  Listen to your body and you'll find what works for you and what doesn't.  You sound like you've got a good handle on that score anyway but I thought I'd still throw it out there.  :) 

Let me know if there's anything you need help with. 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

16 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Hey!!!!  It sounds like you are going to LOVE this place, I really hope you enjoy being a member.  Lots of people on here have joined the academy but lots of us haven't.   Many people find the 4 Week Challenges a really good structure to work with.  The latest challenge has already started but there's no reason you couldn't join in if you wanted to, or maybe you would find it useful to just follow a few people's challenge threads this time around so that you can get an idea of what it's like?  You will find lots of people with similar interests and goals and following (and encouraging) other people who share your interests is a great way of making friends and building up your own support network.

Congrats on breaking through your plateau!  I'm so glad that you've had such amazing results so far and you will probably find that things get  You'll find lots of people on here follow a paleo diet but there's just as many who don't, or who follow what's called a primal diet too which is similar to paleo but does include some dairy (if I remember right).  The biggest piece of advice I would give to anyone starting the paleo diet is not to worry about trying to eat 100% paleo or even not to beat yourself up if you find that actually you just can't go 100%.  Not all of us can and your diet is something that you should tailor to suit yourself and your own needs.  Listen to your body and you'll find what works for you and what doesn't.  You sound like you've got a good handle on that score anyway but I thought I'd still throw it out there.  :) 

Let me know if there's anything you need help with. 

Thank you!

I shall have to look up primal diet then, it might actually be more like what I am actually doing :D I'm slowly going to start gathering more paleo recipes, I definitely think I am more healthier just from thinking about all the salad and veg I am eating now!! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DyDy said:

Welcome! What a story. I still need to read 'level up your life'. My mother has diabetes too and scared me into making a difference as well.

I recommend the read! Very inspiring.  Diabetes can be a real motivator that's for sure.  Good luck on your quest to make changes :)