Deciduous's late start first ever NF quest

Deciduous

Oh man, he is 50 lbs. We are sitting here debating whether he is backpackable. I am not sure what he would do if we tried to compress him into one of those big hiking ones! I had a 12 pounder before and she fit nicely into one of those baby slings.

Aww carrying around a lazy dog in a backpack is such a cute image!

Do you make your own sushi? I feel like a post to that effect came up in my IG feed.

Yeah, I do! I've been obsessed the last few weeks!

• Like 3

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4

Any advice on getting started with it? Love sushi rolls, don't love shelling out for them.

Oh I hope you try it! I'm having a blast. I only 'lose'/implode like 1/10 now!

Setup is cheap, you need a bamboo mat and nori (seaweed sheets) plus ingredients, I keep picked ginger, soy sauce, and wasabi paste on hand. Lately I've been using smoked salmon from Costco, cucumber, carrot, and sometimes lettuce. I bought sushi rice at one point, it is nice and sticky, but I like the taste of brown rice better. I ran out so right now am trying to use up barley/quinoa I have on hand!

This video is the closest I could find to what I've been doing, and I think I love her! Everyone else is using a ton of rice spread out and rolling the nori into it but seems like too much work and like you'd be more likely to have your roll bust open because there it is only single ply on the outside? I put a thick layer of stuff in the middle like she did and try to contain it and then roll it up so it is like triple contained.

I have no idea how she is getting it to stick at the end without wetting the raw edge before she starts rolling it! I just put water on my fingers and run a bit on the wide edge that is face up...

• Like 3

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4

12 minutes ago, Deciduous said:

This video is the closest I could find to what I've been doing, and I think I love her! Everyone else is using a ton of rice spread out and rolling the nori into it but seems like too much work and like you'd be more likely to have your roll bust open because there it is only single ply on the outside? I put a thick layer of stuff in the middle like she did and try to contain it and then roll it up so it is like triple contained.

I have no idea how she is getting it to stick at the end without wetting the raw edge before she starts rolling it! I just put water on my fingers and run a bit on the wide edge that is face up...

OMG yes! That was such a solid, clear description of technique!!! I may have to give it a go again someday... Yay for sharing!!! Thank you! :D 

• Like 2

I was feeling DOWN the last few days. Food has been fine, a bit off visiting family yesterday and through Monday but nothing too weird and wild. Pretty much the usual plus wine and dessert.

No idea if it was the workouts (week one of the program is always so tough), that I am actually cutting enough calories to feel more fatigued, work stress, my good friend moving away, or what! Likely all of it!

Workouts since Tuesday: bench day, deadlift day, overhead press day, and the accessory lifts for sumo deadlift day. Did the first set and my body rebelled which was sad but I felt trashed going in and it was morning (hate) so shouldn't have been as shocked as I was. Fit two yoga classes and a spin class in there, too.

Today went for a 4.4km walk with my dad and feeling my body knitting itself back together, will try and stretch before bed.

I had a big anxious silent freak out yesterday waiting to hear how our dog's play date went (spoiler: it was all fine and they loved each other), but it got me thinking about my overreacting and it is self comforting - the worst case scenario imagining is to try and avoid being surprised by bad news and the good news feels SO GOOD after living in alterna-hell. I am not sure I'm ready to give up my bad behaviour challenge style (@Grumble ) but recognizing it in the moment is helpful.

Mulling over my end of challenge - will sum it up today or tomorrow. I loved doing it and am ON for the next one, but def didn't make much progress on a few of my goals and have lost steam this last week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4

1 hour ago, Deciduous said:

I was feeling DOWN the last few days. Food has been fine, a bit off visiting family yesterday and through Monday but nothing too weird and wild. Pretty much the usual plus wine and dessert.

No idea if it was the workouts (week one of the program is always so tough), that I am actually cutting enough calories to feel more fatigued, work stress, my good friend moving away, or what! Likely all of it!

Aww, sounds like you had it coming from every side! Likely all indeed. Best thing about bad weeks is when they're over! Hope you're on the up and up!!!

1 hour ago, Deciduous said:

I had a big anxious silent freak out yesterday waiting to hear how our dog's play date went (spoiler: it was all fine and they loved each other), but it got me thinking about my overreacting and it is self comforting - the worst case scenario imagining is to try and avoid being surprised by bad news and the good news feels SO GOOD after living in alterna-hell. I am not sure I'm ready to give up my bad behaviour challenge style (@Grumble ) but recognizing it in the moment is helpful.

Mr Red is very similar, where he likes to assume the worst so he's not crushed by it if it comes, and is delighted when it doesn't. We've talked about this a billion times because it seems exhausting to me, but he insists it's what he prefers! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If the anxiety attacks aren't crippling who am I to tell him what to do? Hopefully it's not terrible for you, and just a similar means of managing expectations? But I tend to agree on all fronts that behavior awareness at the time of (whatever it is for) is amazing and very informative. 

• Like 1

Mr Red is very similar, where he likes to assume the worst so he's not crushed by it if it comes, and is delighted when it doesn't. We've talked about this a billion times because it seems exhausting to me, but he insists it's what he prefers! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If the anxiety attacks aren't crippling who am I to tell him what to do? Hopefully it's not terrible for you, and just a similar means of managing expectations? But I tend to agree on all fronts that behavior awareness at the time of (whatever it is for) is amazing and very informative. 

This is helpful, thank you. The awareness is new for sure and needs work. Maybe working on it via the next challenge will let me feel what you feel so I can decide if I actually prefer this - I know no other way!

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4

Ok ok I'm going to wrap it up!

giphy.gif

Quests 1&2 ended up being pretty much a combo. I drank lots of water before meals, I took my supplements and followed my meal plan better than I have followed any healthful eating program in YEARS. I also got overly cocky about how much self control vs self reporting here was accomplishing this, and have 100% derailed this weekend, weirdly simultaneous with end of challenge and end of reporting here. Like had ice cream for all three meals today. Good to know.

Quest 3 running four times. 2/4

Quest 4 finish the doors in our house 2/4

What did I learn?

I was overambitious and don't like not completing quests.

Goals for no concrete reason don't progress unless they are fun. There is no legit reason I need to run on the weekend or finish the doors, so they didn't get done.

I really like it here. Thank you for welcoming me in, I'm really looking forward to the next round.

• Like 2

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4