Traveler K's Battle Log - Restart & Up up & Awaaayy

Captains Log, Star Date 3-28-2017

Speed walked to work this am - love those hills!

Did the Beginners Nerd Fitness regime at lunch time and got a coworker to do it with me. 

Scheduled tonight: Updated meeting at gym with a trainer to re-evaluate me and see where I am progress wise, wish me luck. Measurements and weigh-ins have been really positive lately! Amazing how switching to an Asian style menu can help! 

AND - I've officially resigned from my ministry in order to take time to get healthy and refocus, see where I want to head next... I regret the malcontent status, but I'll work on that... I'm no malcontent, just someone who had to reconfigure their priorities....

"The only decision that matters is what you do with the time that has been given to you." (Gandalf - LOTR)

Happy Friday...

I had a terrible bout of clinical depression yesterday (on 3/30/17 Thursday), and it sidelined me for a couple of hours. Then I gave myself a pep talk, walked my hind end into work, and did a full post-work work-out and walk as well as having a nutritious dinner to help amp up the serotonin. A friend sent me an anonymous quote to help me through the day yesterday:

I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO BE A VICTIM, AND JUST BEING A SURVIVOR IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME. I AM A WARRIOR AND I WILL THRIVE!

I did a lot better today, fortunately. The walk in was gorgeous - we finally have sun! (And I'm a little more muscle bound and two pounds lighter!)

Have a Fantastic Weekend!

"The only decision that matters is what you do with the time that has been given to you." (Gandalf - LOTR)

TUESDAY 4/4/17

This AM was weigh-in and measurement day. The biceps are lookin' good! The waistline has leveled off, but that's okay. I'm seeing more ab definition. I'm also down another 1.5 pounds from last week.

Amped up the Nerd Fitness beginner workout with a higher level of weights and, now that the weather is better, I'm taking longer walks after work (at least 1.25-1.5 hours). Managed to get a GREAT deal on some Ryka shoes (where have THOSE been all my life? COMFY!) and that's made all the difference.

Blessings!

25 September 2018

What a GLORIOUS fall day! Hated coming in to work - wanted to keep walking in the colorful leaves this morning! 

Since the last update, learned a valuable lesson - STREEEAAATCH!  Pulled a muscle in my left calf/knee due to not stretching properly before exercise, so have spent two weeks working on balance and flexibility and reintroducing weights slowly.  Also spent 10 days on antibiotics due to neglected teeth and sinus infection, so am rebuilding the old immune system.

Now - LET'S GET HEALTHY AND STREEEAAACH!

stretch.jpg

2019  --  29 January

Had some problems with depression and I back-slid over the holidays... But things are slowly but surely getting better now, and I'm back at the gym three times a week as well as doing Richard Simmons' 'Project H.O.P.E.' Cardio I/Toning I/Balancing Challenge. 

Some of the best journeys I have taken of late have been within myself, rooting out where my challenges originated and how this Elf Lord can overcome them.  No malcontent am I! 

• Like 1

3 APRIL 2019 WEDNESDAY

UPDATE:  Had my annual physical and a LOT of blood work - hamstring injury and sciatica finally healed up enough; thyroid is fine; cholestrol and A1C are not as dismal as I thought, but could do with some massive dietary changes; I am pre-diabetic; I could do to loose about 60 pounds. 

It is time for this Peaceful Warrior to prove I really do love and respect myself.   

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR SINCE MY LAST ENTRY:

a. Have been enjoying the spring weather by taking more and longer walks in and amongst these wonderful old houses up on the hilly neighborhood above my apartment. 

b. Spending a LOT less time with a shop-a-holic friend who overeats...

c. Doing mini-habit changes and re-learning how to eat....

d. Trying St. John's Wort as a 'new to me' anti-depressant and it seems to be working, cutting down my carb cravings in addition to making my body feel better. (Natural pain reliever!)

e. Finished re-reading Brian Wansink's 'Mindless Eating' and read J. Engel's 'Fat Nation: A History of Obesity in America' - two real eye openers.

f.  Am not back at the gym like I thought I would be by now; I found I'm more comfortable using my weights at home.  

I am fast coming to the conclusion that I am a Hobbit, not an Elf.... :)  And that means coming up with a new strategy for keeping on track this time.  Remember, Hobbits like to eat...and I collect cookbooks, which is a dangerous thing! ;)

I forgive myself openly and officially for derailing - and now it's time to go to war.  I have my trusty walking stick and my sword - anybody up for an adventure? 

• Like 1

9 April 2019  Tuesday

WEEKLY UPDATE:

Did an absolutely lovely red cabbage and mixed veggie stir-fry Monday night... And the chances of me duplicating it?  HAH! ;)

So far, much better this week.  I set a few mini habit goals to work on -

a. Create and Stick to a Menu for all three meals;

b. Work in 10-15 minutes extra activity every day;

c.  Up with or before the alarm - no snoozing allowed!

d. No snacking at work, period!

MONDAY 4/8/19:

Sticking to the menu yesterday was good; I remembered how much this hobbit enjoys cooking! It's a creative art for me, along with journaling.  Some sew, some paint, I cook.

Extra activity? No problem... Helping a friend move is good for cardio and weights...

Up with the alarm? I grumbled, but I did it.

As for snacking at work... Dang, it was hard... Water and hot tea and getting up and walking around helped a little...

NOW - Let's see how I do today, shall we?   

Next, make tea for a bunch of dwarves and a very tall wizard! 

4/10/19 Wednesday

Wednesday - Oden's Day - a day for Wisdom and Reflection -

And a day to confess!

Forgive me, Yoda, for I have caved!  I was a little stressed yesterday 4/9/19 Tuesday - I had to temporarily relocate my feline companions to a neighbor's spare room so that my apartment could be treated for ants and fleas, and it got to me.  I had an unplanned (gulp) protein bar and some Gouda cheese last night.  

RESULTS OF 4/9/19 TUESDAY:

* I did stick to my menu - I even had a healthy dinner of cod and shrimp with lots of veggies and some whole grains and garbanzo beans.

* Extra activity, no problem - my kitchen looks sooo good! 

* I was up BEFORE the alarm! 

*** But I snacked at work, much to my shame.... It was hummus... and I LOVE hummus!

But today is Wednesday! It's a new day, and so far I've done pretty darn good.  

All hail the Mighty Oden!

• Like 1

4/12/19 FRIDAY

It's Friday.... Yeayy......!

My goal for this weekend?  Try to get my bowling score up to at least 110...120 if possible!  But if I don't, I will at least be able to say that I had a lot of fun trying! :)

My other goal is to revamp and tweak my kitchen - a thankless task, but it's a cook's duty to reorganize the kitchen to something resembling order! 

5/16/19:

HOW TO EAT UP A MONTH:

Help someone move! Egads, we can accumulate stuff over time!  It made me want to really live more simply and get rid of as much of my own stuff as possible - and I'm not the one moving!

Watched "Avengers: Endgame" last weekend and was proud of myself for not eating any of the candy or popcorn I was offered.  

Fell off the menu planning wagon for a little while, but am back on track.  It truly helps me track what I eat.  

My goal for now:  Just try to eat better, and get back into heavier exercise!

Blessings!