Hello.

i wanted to see if anyone might be able to help me with an issue I'm having.

I decided to change my unhealthy habits. It's been a little over a month since I changed my diet. I am eating a paleo diet. 

I am also working out 6 days a week.

This past week I'm just exhausted. I mean, nothing left in the tank, no energy exhausted.

And I'm not losing any weight. 

A little history.

I had done crossfit and paleo previously, with great success. Lost 35lbs. Unfortunately, the expense of crossfit and work got in the way. 

And a few years before that, I had lost over 100lbs eating low fat, low calorie diet and exercising like crazy. Which you can imagine ended up being disastrous. I got so sick I ended up in the emergency room. And I'm pretty sure it  destroyed my metabolism.

So I'm looking for some guidance. What am I doing wrong here? How can I get my energy levels up?? And start losing weight?

I'd suggest seeing a registered dietician - a lot of people starting a new diet lifestyle (like paleo) end up not making their diet well-balanced and that can lead to energy problems and nutrient deficiencies. I ran into that problem a few years back when, to try to cut down on saturated fat in my diet (heart disease runs in the family), I cut down a lot on how much red meat I was eating. Problem, I was counting as "one serving" what was actually more like "a third of a serving" and I wasn't making up protein from other sources (chicken, fish, tofu, etc...) so I wound up eating around 20g of protein a day when someone of my activity level needs about 3x that amount. I wasn't making any gains in fitness and was getting RSIs all over the place and was super frustrated and also weak and tired all the time and having fainting spells... all of which was caused by the fact that I was eating around a third of the protein I needed to be eating. 

Anyway, a registered dietician was able to ID the problem and sort me out on a food plan. So whenever other folks are in even halfway-similar scenarios, I recommend seeing a dietician. 

20 hours ago, GeekyGirlAddy said:

Hello.

i wanted to see if anyone might be able to help me with an issue I'm having.

I decided to change my unhealthy habits. It's been a little over a month since I changed my diet. I am eating a paleo diet. 

I am also working out 6 days a week.

This past week I'm just exhausted. I mean, nothing left in the tank, no energy exhausted.

I think your problem is two fold. 

Working out 6 days a week is probably your biggest issue.  Not only are you already likely to be eating less calories by eating paleo but you're not giving your body a chance to recover from one workout before you start another.  Your body repairs and builds muscle while it's resting, not while you're working out.  If you don't let it do this then you're bound to run into problems. It simply won't be able to do what you're asking of it it it hasn't has enough time to recover. 

The second thing is that you probably started eating a lot fewer calories when when you switched to paleo.  If you're not eating enough then you will get that "nothing left in the tank" feeling because you simply haven't got the energy you need to do a workout.  Most of us are used to getting out calories from grains, it can be difficult to judge the calories in your food at the best of times but when there's a lot less carbs it can be even harder.  From what you've described it sounds like you might just be not eating enough. 

When you are eating very little and working out your body stores fluid in the muscles. When you up your calories you will probably find that you'll have a sudden drop in weight as your body releases the fluid. 

Of course the best way to find out where you're going wrong is to keep a food diary, log your workouts and find out how many calories your body needs.  Use this calculator to work out your BMR then follow the link on the page to the Harris Benedict formula to see how many calories you actually need once you factor in your activity level.  Once you've got that you can decide how fast or slow you want to lose weight and adjust your daily intake to meet that target. 

Of course you need to know how many calories are in your food too.  An app like My Fitness Pal will help you with that.  If you don't want to get obsessive about what you're eating and how many calories are in it then just keep a food diary.  You can always work out the calories you've eaten at the end of the day or even the next day, then see if you need to adjust your food intake up or down to meet your target.  

I hope that helps. 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously