• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lana

Hiking goal 2017

I was never into hiking. As a child it was something that I had to do maybe 3 times a year. Then all of my relatives (which are a lot) went together on a hike. It always seemed to take forever.

In retrospective I think because we lived in the countryside and I was outdoors a lot I didnt have the need. Also I was never fit in my youth.

However in the last few years, living in the city, I crave to be more outdoors. Its so calming being in nature.

So for 2017 I set a hiking goal. I live in Vienna, Austria, and the City has amazing hiking trails inside the border of the City. You can go there by public transportation and just walk a few minutes ans you are in the forest and wouldnt believe you are still in Vienna. I know already 3 of these trails. There are 11 total.

This year I want to hike all 11 (also the 3 I already know). These trails are 8-14km long each (5-8 miles) and most of them have inclines where you have a beautiful view over the city at the top.

So far I did 2 this year. Wish me luck.

Anyone else have a hiking goal.

• Like 6

Otherwise, I regularly go on weekend hikes with a Meeting group. If there is sth similar in your area, I recommend joining. They have the best people.

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

I have also thought about finding a hiking group. I am sure there is one. I just also like the solitude of hiking alone. But maybe I try a group as well. A friend of mine said she would join me for one of the hikes. We will see. 

Never been to Norway but have seen beautiful pictures of it.

• Like 1

I have some hiking planned this year. Some in Norway actually, up in Lofoten.

@Lana: Could you talk more about the hiking trails in Vienna you are planing to go to? Is there like a website I could learn more about them? I'm going long term traveling, and an extended stay in Vienna to hit those hiking trails sounds like a wonderful destination.

@Dagger: A stay in Vienna and hiking sounds like a good idea. I know Websites with infos but they are in German. Do you happen to speak that? But I will look if one of them has an English option.

Ok this is the official site of the city for it. I searched the English version:

https://www.wien.gv.at/english/leisure/hiking/paths.html

I like this site but its only in German. Scroll down to "Wiener Stadtwanderwege" and if you click on the link you also see pictures of the trail even if you dont understand German:

http://www.bergnews.com/touren/stadtwanderwege-wien.php

Will post some of my pictures as well but dont have them here right now.

• Like 2

Thank you for the links. The official site seems to have enough information to get to the trails and follow them, so that should be enough.

And please do post pictures. Those hiking trails seems like really pretty places.

I have been trying to make it to Yakushima Island (the inspiration for the forest spirit's domain in Princess Mononoke) ever since I moved to Japan give years ago and I finally have the time and money to go when it isn't the middle of typhoon season this year. Urban hiking isn't really that nice in Osaka and I'm not approved for serious mountain treks yet by my doctor,b ut apparently Yakushima doesn't count as dangerous, so my goal is to hike at least the beginner trail there, and ideally hike the 5-hour trail to see one of the most ancient trees still growing in the world on the second day!

• Like 2

My goal this year is to get up to doing 5 mile hikes comfortably so my husband and I can join our local hiking groups for group hikes. Once I reach that goal then I might start thinking about location based goals of where I want to hike. Goals are great to have!

• Like 1

Its great to see that ohters have hiking goals as well. Last week was very successful. I did two hikes. Want to keep a log here. These are the hikes and I make them green when I did them (Stadtwanderweg = city hiking trail):

* Stadtwanderweg 1 - Kahlenberg
    * Stadtwanderweg 1a - Leopoldsberg
    * Stadtwanderweg 2 - Hermannskogel - 24. April 2017
    * Stadtwanderweg 3 - Hameau
    * Stadtwanderweg 4 - Jubiläumswarte - 25. March 2017
    * Stadtwanderweg 4a - Ottakring - 30. April 2017
    * Stadtwanderweg 5 - Bisamberg
    * Stadtwanderweg 6 - Zugberg-Maurer Wald
    * Stadtwanderweg 7 - Laaer Berg
    * Stadtwanderweg 8 - Sophienalpe
    * Stadtwanderweg 9 - Prater - 4. March 2017

I try to do the trails that I dont know yet first. Because in the last years I did number 1, 5 and 6. And its easier for me if I already know them, so my goal is to preferrable do the unknown. I was very lucky with the weather this time.

• Like 1

And yesterday I did the trail number 4a in Ottakring. At first I thought that is the dumbest trail because the first mile was totally in the city. I just hiked alongside streets. And there were almost no signs at all where the trail is going (I had to look at my map again and again). The houses I passed were special and beautiful but still I am used to getting into the woods earlier. But in the end it was totally worth it. I passed some of the most beautiful viewpoints yet.

The first interesting thing I passed was an observatory:

2dcicm8.jpg

Then I passed a very nice nature park that I didnt know called "Steinhof". I decided to take a detour inside it and it was worth it:

14xe4rb.jpg

After that park I finally headed into the woods on trails and suddenly signs of the trail were again on every crossing:

23s8683.jpg

• Like 2

Then I got the the tower called "Jubiläumswarte" where you have quite the view. This tower is part of the trail 4 and 4a.

183 steps to see the view:

2qtvc03.jpg

Panorama:

2ppa4bp.jpg

Then again through the woods down a the hill till I am again in streets with houses. Finally I pass the former "Schloss Wilhelminenberg" (Castle) that is now a hotel which is know for its great view:

20ff7r4.jpg

And then it went downhill again and the trail had great views:

5d9c8k.jpg

I could share even more pics. It was very nice.

• Like 3

In August I will be a week in Arizona and want to hike there so I need all the training that I can get. Maybe I manage to hike all the trails before August.

• Like 2

YES! Accommodation for Yakushima hiking trip is booked, hiking boots and gear are reserved (they have rentals on the island and that's gotta be cheaper than buying a  specialty-sized new set here or shipping mine from home), information on guides if I decide to try the more difficult full-day hike to Jomon Sugi has been received, planning for hiking lunches, rain gear, and transportation are assembled...it's still just under two months away but looks like my big hiking goal for the year is going to happen!!!! (Plus more snorkeling, watching turtles hatch, river and possibly ocean kayaking, and seeking out natural sea onsens...adventure ho!)

YES! Accommodation for Yakushima hiking trip is booked, hiking boots and gear are reserved (they have rentals on the island and that's gotta be cheaper than buying a  specialty-sized new set here or shipping mine from home), information on guides if I decide to try the more difficult full-day hike to Jomon Sugi has been received, planning for hiking lunches, rain gear, and transportation are assembled...it's still just under two months away but looks like my big hiking goal for the year is going to happen!!!! (Plus more snorkeling, watching turtles hatch, river and possibly ocean kayaking, and seeking out natural sea onsens...adventure ho!)

Where is Yakushima? My big goal is to knock out all three holy mountains this year (Fuji, Haku, and Tateyama). Hakusan is on tap for Fourth of July weekend.

13 minutes ago, mightstone2k said:

Not according to the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the Internet says it, I guess it must be true.. 

To be honest, the only reason I know about Hiezan is because I used to live right by the base of it, but the locals there take pride in living near what they call the holiest mountain in Japan.  Worth a visit if you are ever in the area (Western shore of Biwako, Shiga Prefecture)

2 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

Where is Yakushima? My big goal is to knock out all three holy mountains this year (Fuji, Haku, and Tateyama). Hakusan is on tap for Fourth of July weekend.

Yakushima is part of Kagoshima, just south of Kyushu proper, and an UNESCO World Heritage Site for its ancient cedar forests and mountains. I don't think any of them are considered holy, but one of the oldest trees in the world is located there, as well as it being the inspiration for Princess Mononoke (mostly the setting, but also the man vs. nature part since one issue in Yakushima's past was the early Japanese logging industry). It's not the same as a mountain hike but I've heard from so, so many people all over the world that the forest hikes and even the small mountain hikes are stunning and a must-do, and it's been on my bucket list since before I moved here, so I'm really thrilled to get a chance to go at last!

Good luck with your mountain quest! I've only done Fuji, but I wish I'd done the rest before my doctors put the kibosh on strenuous hikes. I hope all three go great for you!

• Like 1

On 5/1/2017 at 9:04 AM, Lana said:

In August I will be a week in Arizona and want to hike there so I need all the training that I can get. Maybe I manage to hike all the trails before August.

What part of Arizona? 

I saw a few posts about finding hikers to join @Lana so I figured I'd toss this out there: https://www.meetup.com/cities/at/vienna/

I moved to Montana a year and a half ago for many reasons, among them was to get away from the city and be outdoors more.  Shortly after coming here, I started a hiking group on Meetup.com because there weren't many options around me that were currently active.  My little group has exploded to 516 members as of the writing of this post.  And I've made dozens of friends and explored all sorts of trails, terrains, conquered mountains, and more.  I definitely recommend searching that site to see if you can find something local to you to join. :)

As far as my hiking goals go, this time of year I'm trying to hit as many 15-20 mile (approximately 24-32 km) trails as I can..the distance can be pretty brutal in this heat but it can be done as a day hike without requiring an overnight stay.  It's about going places I can't get to when the snow arrives, and standing on the tallest mountains I can find.  When I come back from these hikes I'm on an emotional high for several days..I feel like nothing in the world can touch me.  Hence, I do them weekly.  They help me fight my demons by showing me each time just how much I can accomplish when I put one foot in front of the other and do the thing. :D 

I have a life-long goal to hike up the highest point of each state in the United States. Just finished up South's Dakota high point, Black Elk Peak, just last week in fact!

Hoping to knock out Hawkeye Point, Charles Mound, White Butte next year!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 0:25 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

My goal this year is to get up to doing 5 mile hikes comfortably so my husband and I can join our local hiking groups for group hikes. Once I reach that goal then I might start thinking about location based goals of where I want to hike. Goals are great to have!

Well I accomplished my goal of doing a 5 mile hike! I don't know that I would describe it as entirely "comfortable" but I (we) did it! I still haven't hiked with a local group. But maybe with the cooler months coming up I can start looking for opportunities. :D

• Like 1