• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lana

Hiking goal 2017

I DID IT! Just got back from our trip to Yakushima and I can now strike that item off of the list...it was SO worth it! I haven't done a proper forest hike before (mountains, yeah, growing up in Boulder, but mountains WITH forests? Never!) and I was pretty nervous tackling it at the height of summer and typhoon season, but we literally just missed a typhoon upon arrival (day before flights were cancelled) and had gorgeous, sunny weather with fairly low humidity all week, and only a single mild shower plus the usual tropical Japan heat and humidity to deal with the day of the hike. The trail to Yayoi Sugi was pretty easy but the later trail up to Jomon Sugi was a lot tougher once we got past stop 6, and since it's been so long since I've hiked, I am very glad we got a guide to help out with sticking to the trail, especially since it was @purplebug's first serious hike. But we did it! 6 hours hiking through a World Heritage-designated natural site, visiting some of the oldest trees in the world, drinking some of the cleanest, freshest water I've ever tasted, keeping an eye out for kodamas, and eating lunch in the Mononoke Mori...given that I haven't done hardly any hiking since getting sick, I feel very, very proud of myself. Right, next up, back to the mountains!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JupiterStar said:

I am very glad we got a guide to help out with sticking to the trail, especially since it was @purplebug's first serious hike. But we did it! 6 hours hiking through a World Heritage-designated natural site, visiting some of the oldest trees in the world, drinking some of the cleanest, freshest water I've ever tasted, keeping an eye out for kodamas, and eating lunch in the Mononoke Mori...given that I haven't done hardly any hiking since getting sick, I feel very, very proud of myself. Right, next up, back to the mountains!

That's awesome and sounds like it was amazing scenery! Congratulations to you both! You did it!

• Thanks 1