Courtney Keeps It Simple

courtneyc

It's been awhile since I've been on the boards. Now that I'm not working a job that has me at my computer all the time I can handle checking into the boards regularly. I missed the community and goal accountability, but I just couldn't stand the idea of spending my down time looking at a screen and possibly being pulled into work again. 

I'm keeping this challenge simple. Simple is pretty much all I can handle right now, anyway. This will just be a basic tracking challenge. 

Track everything I eat for the remainder of the challenge. If I "win" at tracking, I earn a new pair of shoes to replace my worn out ones.

There will be jiu jitsu training updates sprinkled in of course, because this is me and jiu jitsu = life. :) 

• Like 2

Current Challenge, 8765, 4321

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

Tracking: 1/12

Day one of tracking is completed. An unplanned dinner out with my mom right after a workout led to some less than stellar dinner decisions, but I didn't let that stop me from accounting for everything.

In my world of jiu jitsu/fitness there has been some fun leveling up over the past couple months. A few months ago I wasn't able to do a full push-up (I believe it was even the focus of a challenge back in the fall?). I worked on those push-ups during a round of boot camp from January through February and went from doing push ups on my knees to cranking out full push-ups like a boss. I also unlocked a teeny tiny achievement on the jiu jitsu front a couple weeks back when I got promoted to blue belt. :) March was a pretty rough month for me, but that made it a little better. 

Truthfully, I'm really struggling these days. After giving the marriage one last try and it not working out, I'm feeling really awful. There are a lot of emotions and sometimes they catch me by surprise or I find myself in a multi-day/week slump. Lately, I've been deep in a slump. I'm trying to take it one day at a time and trust that I won't feel like this forever, but hope is hard to find right now. Being unemployed and so depressed I can hardly finish putting together my resume probably isn't helping with that sense of hopelessness.

Really, the tracking challenge is just a way for me to build the tiniest bit of momentum. After being stagnant for awhile and not following through with tasks I set for myself, it is easy to stop believing that I can and will make things happen. I have to rebuild that trust and confidence in myself. Today, I tracked. Tomorrow, I will track again and "pretty up" my resume. Little steps.

• Like 3

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

Congratulations on the Blue Belt. Jiu-jitsu starts now (I see white as the tutorial mode.) I'm sure you've heard of the Blue Belt Blues. Highest dropout rate is at this level. It gets frustrating, but it's also a very enjoyable time.

I think everyone in our gym took at least a month off after getting promoted. Haha

f35bc137d1793afc4cb45094c9e42ef2.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Machete said:

Congratulations on the Blue Belt. Jiu-jitsu starts now (I see white as the tutorial mode.) I'm sure you've heard of the Blue Belt Blues. Highest dropout rate is at this level. It gets frustrating, but it's also a very enjoyable time.

I think everyone in our gym took at least a month off after getting promoted. Haha

f35bc137d1793afc4cb45094c9e42ef2.jpg

I've definitely heard of that. My blues have nothing to do with bjj. In fact, it's pretty much my sole escape right now. 

- Stephen King

Tracking: 3/12

Still keeping up with the tracking. I'm already noticing that it helps me reevaluate my food decisions. I haven't set any sort of weekly goal for calories. Stress eating has worked its way back into my daily habits, and I know taking that on full force right now would be too much. It is amazing what a difference a little choice in the matter makes though. I'm free to stuff my face. I just have to also maintain my awareness of exactly what I'm doing. There's no mentally checking out, but I'm also not guilting myself if I do eat more than what keeps me in the weight loss zone.

The resume is coming along nicely. I wrote my cover letter as well and pulled some examples of past work (I'm applying to a bakery). I want to get this all in before the weekend. So, it's time to stop playing catchup on the boards!

• Like 2

- Stephen King