Depressed after a back injury...life has gone downhill.

Out of interest, who diagnosed the pelvic issue?  It's not the kind of thing that people self diagnose so I'm assuming you are seeing somebody about it?  Have they given you any advice or treatment plan?

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

40 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

Out of interest, who diagnosed the pelvic issue?  It's not the kind of thing that people self diagnose so I'm assuming you are seeing somebody about it?  Have they given you any advice or treatment plan?

Hi again Guzzi :)

Yes I have been going to a physiotherapist who diagnosed me. The thing is that she's been great at helping me relieve the pain during the sessions but hasn't completely given me a treatment plan apart from a few stretches and told me to hit the gym slowly. Haven't seen much of an improvement from the stretches she's given me. They do loosen me up but my hip is still in the same spot. 

I have started the gym again, but very light weights (8-12kg at most). Majority of my workout routine atm consists of cardio, stretching and a few weight training exercises. I am by no means doing any sort of intensity I was doing pre-injury. Everything is slow paced and watching how my body reacts - any pain and I stop immediately. 

Majority of the day I am pain free and I can sit for long periods of time without any issues. Only time I start getting discomfort is when I am doing some sort of physical activity ie. running/gym etc. It's not pain but discomfort...like feelings of misalignment and a lot of lower back/SI joint area tightness. I haven't been able to solve that yet which makes me think that yes the PT has helped alleviate the pain but not the underlying issue.  

I'm considering going to an osteopath now...well actually when I'm back in my home country (its really expensive here in the UK atm). I remember you telling me that an osteopath helped you out greatly and I feel that now that is my next step. Won't be for another couple of weeks but will do in this summer time. 

Comic 

When you say that your pelvis is tilted up and forward, is it that the SI joint is locked in the wrong place by any chance?  That would be a weird coincidence because that's essentially what's happened to me, and yeah, stretches for the piriformis is what I'm working on.  It's a long, slow progression. 

Anyway, whatcha doing in the UK?

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

15 hours ago, Guzzi said:

When you say that your pelvis is tilted up and forward, is it that the SI joint is locked in the wrong place by any chance?  That would be a weird coincidence because that's essentially what's happened to me, and yeah, stretches for the piriformis is what I'm working on.  It's a long, slow progression. 

Anyway, whatcha doing in the UK?

Hmmm I don't think its the SI joint locked in the wrong place but more so the pelvis has just rotated on my right side causing a torque. Because of the torsion this causes excess stress on the lower back which i definitely feel! Also my hip flexors are very tight and I need to release them often. 

HOw's your body feeling these days? Any improvement? Are you able to workout without any pain/discomfort?

I'm in the UK studying but I'm from Canada originally :P

Haha!  I'm doing good, thanks for asking! :) 

I'm still not in a position to do any lifting, we are still trying to get my posture (from feet to head) correct, and I could do some damage if I tried working with weights while my ankles, knees and hips are sitting in the wrong position...  Plus I'd probably fall over anyway! :D  My balance is still one of my biggest problems.  

I AM doing some basic body weight exercises as part of my physio - wall push-ups, box squats, stretches (yoga style) which feels like I'm doing something, so that's great. 

I hope you get something sorted with your pelvis, if that's out then it really does affect everything else.  Fingers crossed you can get some help, I'm sure the stretches are helping but it would help you mentally to know that you're doing something to resolve it. 

Where red are you staying while you're here, in London?

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 1:12 PM, Guzzi said:

Haha!  I'm doing good, thanks for asking! :) 

I'm still not in a position to do any lifting, we are still trying to get my posture (from feet to head) correct, and I could do some damage if I tried working with weights while my ankles, knees and hips are sitting in the wrong position...  Plus I'd probably fall over anyway! :D  My balance is still one of my biggest problems.  

I AM doing some basic body weight exercises as part of my physio - wall push-ups, box squats, stretches (yoga style) which feels like I'm doing something, so that's great. 

I hope you get something sorted with your pelvis, if that's out then it really does affect everything else.  Fingers crossed you can get some help, I'm sure the stretches are helping but it would help you mentally to know that you're doing something to resolve it. 

Where red are you staying while you're here, in London?

Haha yes I get you! I've always had balance problems from the beginning lol 

That's fantastic! Are you doing anything to work on your core?

Yes indeed, it makes everything else in the body go whack. Exactly, I can't wait to get home to start proper rehab and not just this temporary stuff. 

Yes! I am in London currently :)

Hey Comic,

I have been down this road many times. I am a doctor, but do not take this as medical advice. Also I am an obgyn lol. This is simply my experience and for your education only. 

I began powerlifting in 2009 and due to ego and lifting with poor form I hurt my low back a few times. The injuries were never serious and I would take off a week or two and get right back into it. In 2010 it got to the point that I had to stop for several months. Again, i healed up and repeated the same process over and over. Each time the injuries kept getting worse. I never went to Doctors or physios and I would self diagnose myself through books videos and other resources and used rehab exercises, stretching, trigger point therapy, posture alignments etc etc. I healed up pretty nicely and got back to smashing heavy weights in medical school.

Fast forward to 2013, I was doing heavy leg presses after running an intense smolov cycle and I felt a snap in my low back. I thought I would never walk again. I Went to the ER and got pain mess and slowly but surely I have been able to go back to my daily activities over the course of the week. I was not able to deadlift or back squat for approximately- wait for it......2-3 years. Never did I get an MRI or anything along those lines. I was very depressed and these were very dark times about my self identity since I identified myself as a pure powerlifter.

The good news is, is that overtime you get over it and find other ways to stay in shape and lift heavy. Every now and then I may feel a slight tweak doing something else and I immediately stop what I am doing and go home.

Since that time I have been focusing  on a lot of prehab stuff and working around my fragile back. If I do not deadlift or back squat really heavy, I am perfectly fine, and I can train my legs in many other ways. 

My advice for you is, listen to your body and do not ignore injuries.. ever. Find ways to train around the injury and keep doing the rehab exercises and learning all that you can about YOU and YOUR low back pain. Strengthen your core, strengthen your obliques. Train a lot of glutes and hamstrings. Focus on your posture. Become a beast on upper body exercises. 

When you're up for training legs, use back friendlier variations such as the front squat , the sumó dead and the trap bar dead (keep the weights moderate and go up VERY slowly). If anything feels remotely funny, stop right away. The advice that I would give myself back in 2010 is to check my ego. Powerlifting is an amazing hobby, but it is not worth destroying your body over, especially at a young age. Enjoy it but practice it safely.

I hope this rant helps- take care of yourself. 

• Like 2
On 6/27/2017 at 2:11 AM, The White Coat Trainer said:

Hey Comic,

I have been down this road many times. I am a doctor, but do not take this as medical advice. Also I am an obgyn lol. This is simply my experience and for your education only. 

I began powerlifting in 2009 and due to ego and lifting with poor form I hurt my low back a few times. The injuries were never serious and I would take off a week or two and get right back into it. In 2010 it got to the point that I had to stop for several months. Again, i healed up and repeated the same process over and over. Each time the injuries kept getting worse. I never went to Doctors or physios and I would self diagnose myself through books videos and other resources and used rehab exercises, stretching, trigger point therapy, posture alignments etc etc. I healed up pretty nicely and got back to smashing heavy weights in medical school.

Fast forward to 2013, I was doing heavy leg presses after running an intense smolov cycle and I felt a snap in my low back. I thought I would never walk again. I Went to the ER and got pain mess and slowly but surely I have been able to go back to my daily activities over the course of the week. I was not able to deadlift or back squat for approximately- wait for it......2-3 years. Never did I get an MRI or anything along those lines. I was very depressed and these were very dark times about my self identity since I identified myself as a pure powerlifter.

The good news is, is that overtime you get over it and find other ways to stay in shape and lift heavy. Every now and then I may feel a slight tweak doing something else and I immediately stop what I am doing and go home.

Since that time I have been focusing  on a lot of prehab stuff and working around my fragile back. If I do not deadlift or back squat really heavy, I am perfectly fine, and I can train my legs in many other ways. 

My advice for you is, listen to your body and do not ignore injuries.. ever. Find ways to train around the injury and keep doing the rehab exercises and learning all that you can about YOU and YOUR low back pain. Strengthen your core, strengthen your obliques. Train a lot of glutes and hamstrings. Focus on your posture. Become a beast on upper body exercises. 

When you're up for training legs, use back friendlier variations such as the front squat , the sumó dead and the trap bar dead (keep the weights moderate and go up VERY slowly). If anything feels remotely funny, stop right away. The advice that I would give myself back in 2010 is to check my ego. Powerlifting is an amazing hobby, but it is not worth destroying your body over, especially at a young age. Enjoy it but practice it safely.

I hope this rant helps- take care of yourself. 

Hi The White Coat Trainer, 

Wow - you have given me some pretty solid advice! Thank you so much. 

Your story sounds exactly like me...I guess we've all been there. Ego, the adrenaline, lifting heavy and BOOM there goes your back -_-

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of posture alignments did you work on? I'm quite interested in your rehab program that you used since you healed up well! Please do tell me :)

At this point I don't even want to think about deadlifting again. I am way too worried and I can't bear to go through this cycle again. I'm not even out of it yet. I might give up deadlifting for good, but I'm not sure yet.  

I am planning to get an X-ray/MRI soon enough just to clear out any potential bulging discs (none herniated judging that it's been 6 months and I don't match the symptoms of it).

What does your prehab routine consist of? Perhaps I can incorporate it into my routine! 

I have spent countless hours learning about my back, the muscles groups involved, the various complications that can occur and whatnot. I'm also in the medical field so literally reading your post feels like i'm looking at myself in the mirror! I was in a pretty dark spot emotional a while back, and i'm not out of this rut yet but it's better than before. Indeed it gets depressing as hell...I really do miss lifting weights the most right now especially with summer here now. 

My Core and glutes have always been my weak point, so yes I am planning to make them my priority now. If you can explain to me your routines/rehab/prehab workouts I'd be very appreciative! 

I left my ego at the door on the day of the injury, that bitch has caused me hell lol. 

Thanks again for your input - it really has helped and I've learned a few things from your post! 

Comic 

Hey man.

I hurt my lower back for the first time 2 years ago at 23 years old. And it wasn't even deadlifts. I was doing overhead presses and arched too much. Didn't feel it the next day so I proceeded as usual (and even did some muay thai training). Then 2 days later...BOOM it hits. Had a hard time getting out of bed. I freaked out so much that I called a bunch of doctors and chiropractors asking them whether or not I had a herniated disc. Also did a shit ton of YouTubeing about herniated discs and lower back pain. 

Turns out it was a just a muscle strain like you. It was shitty for a few weeks but then it got better. Got cocky and started lifting heavy again and hurt it for a second time. Overall the whole process took 2 months or so to heal. 

So yes it does get better. Yoga, and mobility work speed up the healing process by a lot. I also used something called Red Flower Oil, which is some eastern medicine stuff that you rub onto your skin. It heats up the area and increases blood flow. Red flower oil helped a lot.

Just stay away from the heavy stuff for the time being. Once you start feeling better, ease into it SLOWLY. You can also opt for alternative exercises that are easier on the back. i.e. Hex Bar Deadlift instead of regular deadlifts. Front Squat instead of Back Squat etc.

• Like 1
On 6/29/2017 at 8:33 AM, comicfire said:

Hi The White Coat Trainer, 

Wow - you have given me some pretty solid advice! Thank you so much. 

Your story sounds exactly like me...I guess we've all been there. Ego, the adrenaline, lifting heavy and BOOM there goes your back -_-

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of posture alignments did you work on? I'm quite interested in your rehab program that you used since you healed up well! Please do tell me :)

At this point I don't even want to think about deadlifting again. I am way too worried and I can't bear to go through this cycle again. I'm not even out of it yet. I might give up deadlifting for good, but I'm not sure yet.  

I am planning to get an X-ray/MRI soon enough just to clear out any potential bulging discs (none herniated judging that it's been 6 months and I don't match the symptoms of it).

What does your prehab routine consist of? Perhaps I can incorporate it into my routine! 

I have spent countless hours learning about my back, the muscles groups involved, the various complications that can occur and whatnot. I'm also in the medical field so literally reading your post feels like i'm looking at myself in the mirror! I was in a pretty dark spot emotional a while back, and i'm not out of this rut yet but it's better than before. Indeed it gets depressing as hell...I really do miss lifting weights the most right now especially with summer here now. 

My Core and glutes have always been my weak point, so yes I am planning to make them my priority now. If you can explain to me your routines/rehab/prehab workouts I'd be very appreciative! 

I left my ego at the door on the day of the injury, that bitch has caused me hell lol. 

Thanks again for your input - it really has helped and I've learned a few things from your post! 

Comic 

Hey Comic

Given that it's been over 3 years I don't necessarily have a specific routine that I've done throughout the entire time. It has changed a lot and different things have worked during different times.

Overall, I think it's all stuff you've heard before. The routines aren't complex, it's more about  having the discipline of doing them every day and consistently .

Here are the basics of what I've done.

- Stop all lifts that aggravate the injury 

- Stretching the hip flexors daily (check out the couch stretch by Kelly starrett)

- Foam rolling and lacrosse ball all of my low back muscles 

- Improving my overall posture by focusing on improving kyphotic curve, lordotic curve and rounded shoulders (via awareness of my position throughout the day and also foam rolling and stretching the entire body ~3x a week

- Using Mcgills big three abs exercises - with a focus on obliques 

- Doing lots of glute bridges, single leg Romanian deadlifts, x band walks and hamstring curls 

- Hydrate hydrate hydrate 

Nothing special at all. Consistency is going to be your biggest friend. Let me know how you continue to progress 

• Like 1

Late to the party here, but I also spent a lot of time out of commission with a back injury. My insurance didn't cover more than a handful of physical therapy appointments, so I had to figure a lot out on my own. Slow progress is slow, but it's still progress. I'm not at full strength yet, but I can do most of my household chores without pain. the one thing that's been helping me is this youtube playlist of yoga/pilates  videos for relieving back pain and correcting posture.A lot of it is aimed more at women than men, but most of the videos are at least worth watching.

• Like 1

Space_Elf, Fallohide Hobbit Level 0. STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log | 

Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Hi guys

It's been a while since I've posted...wow! I just wanted to thank you all for your undue support and help - I really do appreciate it. 

So what's going on with me?

I've got x-rays done and what we've discovered is that I have loss of lordosis causing my spine to become completely flat (rather than the slight natural curve you should have in your lumbar spine). Apparently this flat back is due to muscle spams in my lower back which have become locked and i've been fixated in this position for a couple of months. Earlier I had said that I had pelvic misalignment, this was a symptom of the underlying cause. 

I've done some research on the web and there isn't much information compared to other back conditions out there, but i am thankful that my condition is due to muscle imbalances and not a structural problem (we ruled out DDD and ankylosing spondylolysis).

Well, I've been prescribed physical therapy now and hopefully will be starting in next week and actually begin my road to recovery. 

I've gained a few pounds and literally loss all my muscle since my injury - and i won't lie...it's been tough mentally. 

The day I walk into the gym again will be the greatest feeling! 

Been times where I just don't want to leave the house or go out and have fun with friends like I used too. I felt like a different person. Crippled at a young age is no joke.

I have the outmost respect for people who deal with such conditions or even more severe and still remain to be cheerful and happy.

As i've promised, I will keep you all in the loop with my recovery and such. Grateful at least the light has been shown and a path has finally been paved!  

Comic 

So there was a story I heard, so this crazy good martial artist. Injured his back to the point where they told him that he would never be able to practice again. He rested, honed his mind, looked into treatments and followed them. It was a long road but eventually he recovered and was able to do some pretty great things.

His name was Bruce Lee, and do a quick search if that name doesn't sound familiar.

Focus on recovery and getting better, your story isn't over yet.

Hi all

It's been nearly 6 months since I last posted...wow time flies! But I've been doing well! Health is in check, I've adapted and learned to look after myself in hardships similar to I faced. I'd like to thank all of you for being there for me and supporting me while I was going through it all. 

I felt like a lost puppy, and without a lot of this community's guidance I would have been far worse so I really do appreciate everyone who put their input/support in this thread <3 

Yours truly, 

Comic 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, comicfire said:

Hi all

It's been nearly 6 months since I last posted...wow time flies! But I've been doing well! Health is in check, I've adapted and learned to look after myself in hardships similar to I faced. I'd like to thank all of you for being there for me and supporting me while I was going through it all. 

I felt like a lost puppy, and without a lot of this community's guidance I would have been far worse so I really do appreciate everyone who put their input/support in this thread <3 

Yours truly, 

Comic 

This post is win!!

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

Wow! Three years later i'm back with an update. I'm feeling great! I have learned to adapt to what I can do in the gym and what I can't do...and as a result I actually did achieve my fitness goals. My back isn't 100% but its at around 95-96%. Usually I don't have any issues unless I'm lifting something super heavy or sitting in a bad way (guilty of this - especially during this pandemic). 

I'm a lot older now and looking back at all the support and guidance I got from this community I truly am thankful for. I even to this date still remember some of your specific advice and whatnot. 

I hope all you are safe and sound during this pandemic, I truly wish the best for all you.

Comic 

• Like 4