• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tanktimus the Encourager

Ye Olde Ranger Guildhall: General Chatter

Hello everyone!  Been a reader of the posts on the main site for about a year, but I just joined the forum today.  I think this group is the one for me - I'm a middling endurance cyclist (longest ride to date was 45 miles at an average speed of 13mph) who also does some body weight/free weight training.  

I'm one of those 'fat but fit' types with broad solid shoulders, ropey muscular legs, and a flabby belly.  This is because my diet is shit.  I'm turning 29 this month and want to change that; I'm not as young as I used to be and it's getting harder and harder to stay healthy through exercise alone.  I'm not particularly interested in aesthetics, six pack abs aren't something that keeps me awake at night, so I'm not planning on going paleo or getting my body fat down into the single digits, I just want to get healthier and be more mindful about what goes into my body.

I also like pushing myself physically, and that's what piqued my interest in these 4 week challenges, so I'd appreciate some information about how to get involved with those?  I found this forum a little tough to navigate (probably mainly because I don't use forums, like, ever) and couldn't really find the challenge.

Thanks, great being part of the community!

• Like 9

Hello everyone!  Been a reader of the posts on the main site for about a year, but I just joined the forum today.  I think this group is the one for me - I'm a middling endurance cyclist (longest ride to date was 45 miles at an average speed of 13mph) who also does some body weight/free weight training.  

I'm one of those 'fat but fit' types with broad solid shoulders, ropey muscular legs, and a flabby belly.  This is because my diet is shit.  I'm turning 29 this month and want to change that; I'm not as young as I used to be and it's getting harder and harder to stay healthy through exercise alone.  I'm not particularly interested in aesthetics, six pack abs aren't something that keeps me awake at night, so I'm not planning on going paleo or getting my body fat down into the single digits, I just want to get healthier and be more mindful about what goes into my body.

I also like pushing myself physically, and that's what piqued my interest in these 4 week challenges, so I'd appreciate some information about how to get involved with those?  I found this forum a little tough to navigate (probably mainly because I don't use forums, like, ever) and couldn't really find the challenge.

Welcome aboard! We are currently on week 2 of the current challenge (but don't let that stop you from jumping in! Just maybe choose one or two goals rather than three to stick to). To get involved sketch up some goals (there should be an info link at the top of this page if you're on a computer which tells you how to structure a challenge, if not let me know and I'll jump on and edit some links into this reply :)), start a new topic in the ranger thread (you should be able to see the thread trail at the top of this, and click on Ranger, should take you to the current challenge Ranger subgroup). Then click through a couple other people's challenges and follow them (optional, but it means they will probably follow you back to cheer you on!), don't be afraid to ask for help and welcome to the family! If you want to just stalk people and gather ideas until the offical start date of the next challenge also fine, do what makes you feel most comfortable~

• Like 4

Welcome @TheCoatman! Always happy to have more Rangers in the corps. This is a great place to yell out for support if (read when - we all do at some point) need it. 

Speaking of which - I need help.

Apparently I have absolutely zero self control, like zero. If I have any kind of sugary dessert in my vicinity I eat it, and as much as I work to control my own environment there are some things I cannot control - primarily work and in my volunteer role in Scouting. 

My current thinking is that I need to setup a punishment for myself when I slip up. Positive rewards are not working so it is time to get serious, up the ante. I am struggling to work out the right punishment though. Has anyone done something similar in their challenges before and has suggestions?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheCoatman said:

Welcome! Click here 

for an intro into the challenge system. You'll see some numbers on the left side of the page, they are links that go into more explanation of how to do a challenge. The video at the end is super helpful.

18 minutes ago, EmeraldEagle said:

Apparently I have absolutely zero self control, like zero. If I have any kind of sugary dessert in my vicinity I eat it, and as much as I work to control my own environment there are some things I cannot control - primarily work and in my volunteer role in Scouting. 

My current thinking is that I need to setup a punishment for myself when I slip up. Positive rewards are not working so it is time to get serious, up the ante. I am struggling to work out the right punishment though. Has anyone done something similar in their challenges before and has suggestions?

Behavior modification techniques are only a part of the puzzle. You can also change the way you think. Stop telling yourself you have no control over sugar. Start telling yourself "I do not eat dessert." Say it in your mind, say it out loud, write it down. A bunch. Each Day. Every Day. Eventually it will filter down into your subonscious and start affecting your behavior. Along with more traditional behavior modification it will make a difference over time. Don't worry if you dont' believe it at first. You can also add "I have self control"

• Like 7

4 hours ago, TheCoatman said:

Welcome bro!

2 hours ago, EmeraldEagle said:

Welcome @TheCoatman! Always happy to have more Rangers in the corps. This is a great place to yell out for support if (read when - we all do at some point) need it. 

Replacing sugary stuff is very hard for me too due to having a sweet tooth lol. My challenge series is focused on willpower so I can also relate on that front too. Something that helps me tremendously is replacing sugary desserts with fruit, adding a bit of honey to tea, or if really bad adding low sugar/lowfat creamer to coffee.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2017 at 8:05 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

... you that you have the power to define yourself. Don't like something about yourself? Change your definition, then do the work to make that definition reality. The messages we tell ourselves have great bearing on who we think we are, and consequently how we act.

I will add, your personal definition of those words is important as well. It's not just what other people think "healthy" (the word I personally got hung up on) means, it is what it means to you. I don't feel vibrant every day, but darn it if I don't have that as a goal.

You don't have to believe this about yourself, just start out by believing I believe it.

Even just by starting out by saying it to yourself is a huge mindset shift!

You are a good person.

You are strong.

You are fast.

You are flexible.

You are awesome.

You do not quit.

You do not give in.

You face your challenges head on, charge them and overcome them.

YOU ARE A RANGER!

Hell yes.

Edited to add:

Behavior modification techniques are only a part of the puzzle. You can also change the way you think. Stop telling yourself you have no control over sugar. Start telling yourself "I do not eat dessert." Say it in your mind, say it out loud, write it down. A bunch. Each Day. Every Day. Eventually it will filter down into your subonscious and start affecting your behavior. Along with more traditional behavior modification it will make a difference over time. Don't worry if you dont' believe it at first. You can also add "I have self control"

For me, I started (last January, actually...) with "I don't eat sweets at work." Highly specific and targeted at my worst time of weakness.  Anytime I was faced with a sweet (which was quite often) I would look at it (or at the co-worker who insisted I "try just a little piece! it can't hurt!") and think to myself, " I don't eat sweets at work" or "I am a person who does not eat sweets at work". 

• Like 6

21 hours ago, tishnicden said:

me-everyday-xd_o_5350907.jpg

Anyone else? No? ...Just me then, huh? Well, damn.... 

And then, when you think it's your food, but it's actually going to the table next to you....... ;_________;

THE WORST!!!

6 hours ago, TheCoatman said:

WELCOME!!  Glad to have you in the Ranger Corps!! ^_^

3 hours ago, EmeraldEagle said:

1 hour ago, Jedediah The Wolf said:

Replacing sugary stuff is very hard for me too due to having a sweet tooth lol. My challenge series is focused on willpower so I can also relate on that front too. Something that helps me tremendously is replacing sugary desserts with fruit, adding a bit of honey to tea, or if really bad adding low sugar/lowfat creamer to coffee.

Replacement was a GODSEND for me. Sugary drinks and treats turned to carbonated waters and a lot of dried fruit.  YMMV as long as you can find the right kind of substitutes that work for you and quell that craving!  This combined with doing everything possible to keep treats away from me - don't buy them at he grocery store so they're not at home, move them physically away from my office if they're at work - has helped loads too.  Out of sight out of mind works!!

• Like 6

random thought:

I just realized my daughters are assassins, DH is a monk, and I, a ranger. Very interesting.... Anyone else have a mixed family? It kind of explains why I can't get any of us to do the same thing lol

• Like 4

Anyone have experience with chrondomalacia? Looking for things I actually CAN do until I get my PT referral. 

I had a minor case many moons ago. I didn't get PT, the doctor just told me ice and ibuprofen and to do some quad strengthening moves. I remember wall sits and simply straightening my legs and flexing my quads.

You can usually bike, IIRC, but make sure your seat is high enough. A seat that's too low is hard on your knees.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I had a minor case many moons ago. I didn't get PT, the doctor just told me ice and ibuprofen and to do some quad strengthening moves. I remember wall sits and simply straightening my legs and flexing my quads.

You can usually bike, IIRC, but make sure your seat is high enough. A seat that's too low is hard on your knees.

Thanks! I'll try the wall sits and leg extensions. I am thinking of getting a spin bike. Might just be a good investment. 

Welcome to the Rangers @TheCoatman!

7 hours ago, EmeraldEagle said:

I've heard of people paying out money in various ways as a punishment e.g. to a "fill in the blank" jar, or giving it to a friend who has to donate it to a cause you don't like if you do the thing you're not supposed to do

On 5/1/2017 at 10:39 PM, tishnicden said:

me-everyday-xd_o_5350907.jpg

Anyone else? No? ...Just me then, huh? Well, damn.... 

15 hours ago, shaar said:

And then, when you think it's your food, but it's actually going to the table next to you....... ;_________;

THE WORST!!!

Unless you're at some Bierhaus in Germany, in which case it's

THE WURST!!!

• Like 10

On 5/2/2017 at 2:01 PM, tishnicden said:

Anyone have experience with chrondomalacia? Looking for things I actually CAN do until I get my PT referral. 

@tishnicdenME! They grade it out of 4, and I am a 2-3 on my bad knee (arthroscopic meniscus removal 10 years ago). And actually, I've been more "crunchy" than usual in that knee lately (likely due to increased activity for yard work), so I really need to do these again. :) 

Isometrics: sit on the floor with your legs straight out under you, contract quads, hold 10 seconds, relax, repeat. 

Level up: Roll a towel, and place it under your knee. Do same as above, but try and squish that towel to the floor.

Step ups: Start with something short - about half a stair height - and step up. Repeat in sets of 10.

Level up: increase step height slowly.

Pseudo one-leg squat things: Stand on your step up platform, with one leg in front of you (or off to the side, which I prefer). Bend the knee of the leg on the platform so that you lower the heel of the other foot towards the floor. You do not have to touch the floor, just go as far as comfortable. Be sure to keep your hips straight, and I like having something (a wall, a rack, a gym machine) to hold on to if my balance goes to shit.

Stay far, far away from lunges and the evil leg extension machine

Image result for leg extension machine bad

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tova the Vibrant said:

@tishnicdenME! They grade it out of 4, and I am a 2-3 on my bad knee (arthroscopic meniscus removal 10 years ago). And actually, I've been more "crunchy" than usual in that knee lately (likely due to increased activity for yard work), so I really need to do these again. :) 

Isometrics: sit on the floor with your legs straight out under you, contract quads, hold 10 seconds, relax, repeat. 

Level up: Roll a towel, and place it under your knee. Do same as above, but try and squish that towel to the floor.

Step ups: Start with something short - about half a stair height - and step up. Repeat in sets of 10.

Level up: increase step height slowly.

Pseudo one-leg squat things: Stand on your step up platform, with one leg in front of you (or off to the side, which I prefer). Bend the knee of the leg on the platform so that you lower the heel of the other foot towards the floor. You do not have to touch the floor, just go as far as comfortable. Be sure to keep your hips straight, and I like having something (a wall, a rack, a gym machine) to hold on to if my balance goes to shit.

Stay far, far away from lunges and the evil leg extension machine

Image result for leg extension machine bad

Thanks! I'll start doing those so I can get ahead. Mine is a 1-2, but I do notice when I am doing more activity, it gets extra crunchy. That's what lead to me getting it checked out in the first place. I had an exceptionally loud crunch during lunges (who woulda thunk it) and was in pain for days. 

• Like 2

Rangers

Week 2 is over and week 3 is upon us. Week 3 is going to be subtle, it's going to tell you it's just another routine week, you can let your guard down, you can ease up just a little. Week 3 is an insidious bastard who, at the same time, will tell you self care is being lazy and why don't you keep going (till you burn out), and simultaneously being lazy is self care, why don't you take care of yourself? It's this turning the correct sideways that is the special evil of week 3.  It tells you to push through a legitimate injury and also to give up when you're just sore because you might hurt yourself. Truth is often in tension between two extremes. Our task is to live in that tension, focusing on the prize ahead so we do not swerve into the pitfalls on either side. The truth is more complicated, and richer, and sometimes harder to see but oh so more rewarding. So how do we stay focused and avoid the pitfalls?

We have each other. Another's truth is sometimes easier to see than our own. We are a community, a Corps of Rangers, and No Ranger Stands Alone. When we are unsure, we ask for help. When we see a brother or sister stray we offer encouragement and support. We are stronger than week 3 because we stand united. Seek and offer help, and week 3 will be unable to stop you. You are amazing, you are strong, and you are going to keep moving forward. Help us and let us help you. 

• Like 10

Rangers! 

I have enough gift card points to buy EITHER

1 - this device for soft tissue release around the spine/shins

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KIOXDPQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AWHPFKD3CAJRS

OR 

2- this band also for recovery work but for treating targeted hot spots 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016YKYYR4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2U5N5QPGHBRFA

Which one would you choose?

I have something similar to number one. It's great for digging into areas a regular foam roller doesn't hit hard enough. I call it the pain ball. Definitely worth owning.

I've never used voodoo floss, so I can't recommend one over the other.