I need help!

I am trying to start running. I've never been a runner, even when I was younger and did competitive sports. I've always envied runners though. It just seems so convenient and practical. And I've tried to start running several times over the years. Followed programmes and everything. But I always end up with shin splints. And when I say 'end up with' I mean they usually occur after just a couple of weeks. It's practically guaranteed. The problem this time around is that I want to join the military and I need to be able to run for that. It's part of the application process for crying out loud! But I still get the shin splints.. 

What are your experiences with this and how did you overcome it?

I also find it really difficult to run for more than 5-6 minutes at a time (I'm really not very fit, I know), it feels like I hit a plateau in the training and I just can't get past it. Please feel free to tell me to get over myself and just run through it, if that's what it takes. 

I know that running isn't just running and that you need to have a certain level of fitness and strength to run properly, and I do exercise and train with weights and stuff also. Am I just too impatient? 

I need to hear what you guys have experience with in such a case. Please help :) I'm a little desperate..

I have had problems starting running after breaking my leg and now after a having back surgery about 9 months ago.  Here some thoughts. 

1) shin splints are often a form problem.  Yes running requires good form.  I suggest using a good coaching system to learn better form.  Good form running is a great place to start.

2) you can't substitute patience.  it will take time to learn better form, correct bad body mechanics, and build your body up to handle the stress of running. 

3) look at your shoes.  you may need to experiment or consult with a good running coach/ PT/ foot doctor ect to see what type of shoe might be best for you.

4) start a slow progression program. Run up to the point were you might start hurting, then start walking, then run again for bit, then walk.  do this cycle for  bit.  every couple of weeks go a bit long

5) in the mean time if you have time add in weight training and add in some other aerobic conditioning like biking, rowing, swimming, ect.  Most of running is cardio capacity.  the heart is a stupid organ and doesn't know the difference between demand from different activities.  If you build aerobic from say rowing, then you would just need to build some extra strength in your legs to really be ready to run.

Hope this helps.

I don't have much to add, as Benbear has covered most of the basics.  I would just underline proper form a few more times.  Improving my form took me from shin splints, knee pain and lower back pain every run, to none of that almost over night.  I've been pain-free on runs for a few years now after years of assuming that was my lot in life.  And through the decrease in stress on your body through better form, it will make it possible to squeeze more out of yourself.  Proper breathing would fall under form as well.  If you muscles aren't getting enough oxygen, they can't run at peak efficiency, and you will exhaust much, much more quickly.  The only other thing I would emphasize is not "pushing through it" this early in your training.  As you progress more, your body will better be able to bounce back from new and more "aggressive" activities.  Above all, listen to your body.

I checked, but didn't save the links for the sites I used when looking up running form.  I can at least talk to what changes I had made, based off of what I read.

1.  Stand up straight and look down the road (I had been looking at the road just in front).

2.  Shoulders back (had been slightly hunched).

3.  Arms held at 90 degrees at the elbow, hands forward - not too firm, but not flopping around either (I had been clenching my fists).

4.  Shorter strides when first getting in shape - you go more slowly, but I have found you can go farther.  Strides have lengthened as my endurance and muscle strength has improved.

5.  Keep feet as close to the ground as possible with each stride (lifting my legs higher was just wasting energy, and seeing as I have legs like a rugby player, that's a lot of wasted energy lifting a lot of extra mass).

6.  Proper breathing was the most important change I made.  I had been doing a series of short in and out breaths.  Changed to a rhythm of slow and deep breaths - as deep as was comfortable.  I have seen many suggestions on breath timing versus running strides, but found it more comfortable to just go with what felt right.  I haven't counted lately, but it is likely somewhere around 5 strides on the inhale, and 5 on the exhale.  It's enough of an impact that if my mind wanders and I stop breathing properly, I can feel the energy in muscles drop.

Ditto to the form check and shoes.  If you feel a jolt running up from your heel to your thigh every time your foot lands, you're doing it wrong.  Run softly with short steps and try to land with the weight on your forefoot, as if you're running barefoot (but don't actually run barefoot please).  Most people who grow up indoors land on their heels, especially when they wear shoes, and they stomp like elephants.  No wonder it hurts.

Running shoes are appallingly expensive, but your precious feet ARE WORTH IT.  Go to a specialty running store, ask the staff for advice (they're usually veteran runners), show them your stride, and keep hanging around as long as it takes to get the right shoes.  Consider buying two pairs if you can afford it, and rotate them.  Keep those shoes ONLY for running, don't wear them for everyday walking around, and they will last longer.

Also, consider running on trails or grass.  Pavement is really hard on your body and it magnifies the impact of bad form.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.