My name is Jef Apollo. 

My road to fitness began three years and four months ago, as a new year's resolution. I had been a homebody for most of my adult life, and about ninety percent of my meals were fast food. My increasing weight, and decreasing levels of activity were always a concern for me, and I made a change. 

I began by dusting off my old bicycle, and riding it regularly. After losing about twenty pounds, I decided to take the next step, and work on my diet. In order to curb my strong desire for cheap and easy meals, I went vegetarian. It prevented me from taking my late night trips to fast food places. After losing more weight, I accomplished a life long goal of learning to skateboard, and I quit smoking. As a result, I managed to lose 110lbs, and had never felt better. I even became a personal trainer.

Last winter, however, on a bike ride to work, I broke my leg. Being confined to a chair drove me crazy. I lost most of my confidence, and regretfully started smoking again. The lack of physical activity also created weight fluctuations.

Now that my leg has healed enough, I'm resolute in getting back on the horse. After lurking around the forum for a bit, and seeing the culture on this forum I decided to join. 

I hope that I can learn from everyone here, and get back to where I was before my accident.

• Like 2

Yeah, what she said! ^^^^^

Welcome! That's a crappy situation you had, but I'm proud of you for turning it around. I'm fairly new here myself, but it's a pretty great bunch, as you also discovered. Have you created your character and added some quests to your Epic Quest? That's what's keeping me going. I am stupid psyched about those quests. LOL

If you have any questions or whatever, just ask! Someone will be here for you. :)

=)

Laurie

Holy pans, Batman!  110lbs? :o:o:o 

Thats one Hell of an impressive transformation!   I feel the pain and frustration of being laid up after an injury, and I know that boredom/frustration can easily lead us to eat crappy food just to feel a little better (at least it did for me) but now that you're mobile again it won't take long for you to get back to where you were.   You've already proven that you can do it. :encouragement: 

How long ago was your accident?

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hmm, yeah.  Bones heal a lot faster than the muscles and ligaments that are wrapped around them, huh?  They say to allow 3 years for everything to fully heal and the scar tissue to soften, which is a looooooong time!  But obviously you reach a good level of functionality way before then. :D   Are you seeing a good physiotherapist?

I was in a motorcycle accident in 2011, and I remember how much I hated being in a chair too.  I hated that thing with a passion! 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Hmm, I would say to see one if you can.  It's amazing how much damage happens to the muscles and soft tissues before the bone inside will break.  Although you can do a huge amount of work to strengthen your main muscles yourself, you're unlikely to be able to spot all the small weaknesses and tensions that can be just as important.  Something as simple as your kneecap being in slightly the wrong position because one of the muscles in your upper thigh is weaker than the others can cause you real pain and mobility issues further down the line. Especially for someone like you who cycles a lot. 

In the mean time, have you tried using a foam roller?  There's bound to be some damage to the fascia (the muscle sheaths) which stops the muscles from moving over each other properly, and foam rolling can really help with that.  (Sorry if you know all this already, better to put it out there and you not need it than the other way around). 

On 4/20/2017 at 5:44 AM, JefApollo said:

You're definitely right about having it and not needing it, versus the alternative. I am doing myofasical release, though, about once a week.

What a fantastic modality. I've seen great result in myself and family members when combining myofasical with basic mobility work, even just regular stretching or beginner yoga.

Level 38 [TBD]