Once upon a time there was a lanky linguistics student who dreamed of becoming more disciplined, stronger, more responsible, and living life to its fullest. He traveled alone for many moons, culling many bad habits and cultivating a jogging practice throughout the summer. However, when university started he began to regain these retched habits; smoking, drinking, junk food, sleeping in.
Until one day, the student decided to quit these unhealthy tendencies, and whilst roaming the plains of the Internet he stumbled upon NerdFitness!

So here I am!
My name is Mallorey. I'm a 20 year old guy, and I'm a first year linguistics student in Orléans, France. I'm not too sure what I want to say... I was hoping to make some grandiose introduction but yeah... here I am! 

I've struggled a lot with some mental health issues, which kind of manifested in binge drinking, smoking, etc. and also quite a sedentary lifestyle. I've come to find to a continuous exercise regime really does help me feel better. 

Nice to meet you all! :D:D:D

• Like 1

Welcome to the Rebellion!

You have actually arrived at the perfect time! The last 4-week challenge is just finishing up, and the new one will begin in one week. If you look here, you'll see some examples of what you can put into your first challenge (but they are just suggestions; you can do whatever is important to you). Of course, you don't have to do a challenge to hang around with us, but I find them very motivating! :)

You mention that you are currently pretty sedentary. What sort of activity/exercises are you interested in?

• Like 1

Thank you Julie!

Well I'd like to get back into running since I find it quite meditative when I was doing 50km weeks last summer, and I would also like to try yoga for the same reason. I feel exercise clears my head a lot :) 
I used to aggressive inline skate until about 3 years ago, but I got a pretty severe concussion in an accident and I've been a bit afraid to do any tricks since, though I do pick them up every so often. 
I also love nature trails and hiking, though since I don't know how to drive, it is very hard to get to any new nice trails other than the one next to my parent's home, where I stay in the summer.

I would also like to tone up since I'm quite a skinny guy, not necessarily bulk up, just look more substantial than my current skin and bones. I've always been kinda insecure about it.
Last semester, I took a self defense class once a week which was cool, though I'm always afraid to hurt people haha

So those are activities that I have done and enjoy, but I am open to suggestions? 

I think I will do the 4 week Challenge :D 

Hey @Mallorey!  Welcome on board. :) 

Juliebarkley's idea of joining in the next challenge is a good one, it really helps you meet ofther menbers and it's so useful have a structure to work with rather than just felling that you have to do something, but not knowing what.  This page has all the info you need to get you started but we are always here to help if you have any questions. 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Thanks, Guzzi! Speaking only for myself, I'm finding it a great way to meet others, as you said, and I love how it makes you commit to actually doing some of those things that you've "always been meaning to do" but never actually do. It doesn't matter if they are small things, because they make you feel like you're getting stronger and better and have something to be so proud of. I should shut up now as I've only done two, but I am loving them! :D

• Like 2