• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Leimanu

An Accountabilibuddies group for those who yearn to create

Image result for the artist's way quotes

If there is some creative endeavor you've wanted to try, or get back into, or explore more, then consider joining this group for this challenge.

I've been listening to The Artist's Way.  The author voiced so many of the barriers I've had with trying to start again.  It's such a strong drive, but how do I begin?  I thought that others may feel the same nervousness, confusion, and drive about how to begin, and it inspired me to start this group.

It's writing for me, but for you it could be painting, crochet, knitting, music, macrame, wood work, acting, carpentry, sewing, models, dancing, pottery, fashion design, interior decorating, graphic design, film making, flower arrangement, cosplaying, jewelry making, singing, photography, scrapbooking, sculpting, songwriting, stand up comedy, web site design, podcasting, poetry...whatever it is that you've had to drive for, but don't know how to start.

I'll post the tasks the book lists every week.  Feel free to share your responses, or just stick around and support.  It's a group to begin to give you whatever you need to give yourself permission to live the creative life!

(This is a part of my current challenge to find ways to keep me accountable B) )

• Like 5

Tasks

1.      Morning Pages

2.      Artist’s Date

3.      Time travel. 

a.      List 3 enemies of your creative self. “Monsters” 

b.      List 3 champions.  Family, authors

4.      Imaginary lives.  If you have 5 other lives to lead, what would you do with them?

5.      Take your artist for a walk.

Week 2 Tasks

1.      Every day, get quiet and focused, and go back over the basic principles.

2.      Where does your time go?  List your 5 major activities this week.  Who’s using your time but you?

3.      Make a list of 20 thinks you enjoy doing.

4.      The Life Pie.  Draw a circle, divide into 6 pieces.  Spirituality, exercise, play, work, friends, romance adventure.  Place a dot at the degree you’re fulfilled.  Outer rim is fulfilled.  Inner is not so great.  Connect the dots.  It shows where you’re lopsided.

5.      10 tiny changes.  Changes you would like to make for yourself from significant to small.  (Art to create, walls to paint, travel, organize.)

Week 3

Recovering a sense of power

Week 3 Tasks

1.      Describe your childhood room.  Or sketch it.

2.      Desc 5 traits you liked in yourself as a child

3.      List 5 childhood accomplishments

4.      Make a list of friends you nurture you.

5.      Connect.  Call a friend who treats you like you can accomplish things.

Week 4

Recovering a sense of integrity

Expansion Tasks

1.      Environment.  Describe your ideal environment.

2.      Time Travel.  Describe yourself at 80.

3.      Enviro.  Look at your house.  Is there any place to make a secret, private place for you to dream?  Even just a bookshelf.

4.      Write your own Artist’s Prayer.

5.      Open your closet.  Throw out/donate one low self-worth outfit.

Tools for the whole challenge

1.      The Morning Pages.  Primary tool of creative recovery.  3 pages of long-hand writing, strictly stream of conscious.  Daily meanderings meant to be writing down whatever.  Nothing is too silly.  You shouldn’t even read them yourself for the first 8 weeks.  Often negative, repetitive, etc.  All of that stuff muddies our days, so get it on the page.  We have a nasty internal and eternal critic.  There’s no wrong way to write the pages so the censor has nothing to work with.  A final assurance – they’ll work for anyone who wants to try anything creative.

2.      The Artist’s Date.  2 step 2 directional process.  The Pages notify you of your dreams and hopes.  The Date, you are receiving.  The date is 2 hrs once a week devoted to nurturing your inner conscious.  Just you in solitude.  Above all, to plan.  “Fills the well.”  Art is born in attention, it’s midwife is detail, it’s language is sensual, of felt experiences. 

wxC6Eg7IP_nK6EIp3F5rDlfTD1c

Week 0!

I completed the audio book today.  Because I'm not really an audio person, I realized after I posted this that its framework is a 12 week program.  I remember the author giving tasks, but someone missed the chapter titles of "Week 2," "Week 3," etc.  Oooooops.  Whatevs.

I finished posting the Tasks from the first 4 weeks because I like to see where I'm headed.  The book has some other exercises within the weeks, too.

I'll be posting the exercises and tasks from the first four weeks.  It's really nice how they build on each other, and they seem really effective at hitting right on all of our excuses and barriers.

I have to go to my third day of daily pages!

Woot, tomorrow is the official start of the challenge!  

The Writing Pages is a wonderful exercise.  I have felt my thinking clear up during the day.  It's nice to just write and not have the inner critic nag nag nag.

I really like this idea! Not sure how well I will be able to keep up with it between my Challenge, the Rangers mini-Challenge and the normal day to day stuff I have to get done (Booooo, adult responsibilities....) but I'm certainly open to trying! :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Artemis Wolf said:

I really like this idea! Not sure how well I will be able to keep up with it between my Challenge, the Rangers mini-Challenge and the normal day to day stuff I have to get done (Booooo, adult responsibilities....) but I'm certainly open to trying! :)

Lol, no worries!  You have quite a few challenges already.  

I posted all four weeks because I like to see how one builds on another ahead of time.  Feel free to follow!  It's a 12 week thing, so if I stick with this, I'll keep it going next challenge ;) 

• Like 1

I'm not at a point where I want to revisit the Artist's Way. I love the book and have worked with it in the past. But it's your thread title that drew me in. I have recently had the fortune/misfortune to have my yearning rekindled. And I'm scared. So I thought "This thread is title like it was meant for me." But I'm scardycat, so I am posting here anyway. Not gonna let some fears stop me.

In the early years of this millenium I wrote. A lot. I wanted to be an author, so writing I did. Life happened, and I could barely cope, and still I wrote. But I was very enthusiastic and naive. So I showed unfinished material to friends and family, heart on my sleave. And I kept blocking myself up. Writing myself into corners. Putting a lot of pressure on myself. Eventually, years and depressions later I decided I couldn't do this anymore. I'm a recless person, writing, being a writer I sacrificed a lot for it. And everything suffered for it. I wasn't a good mum, or a good partner, I sucked at keeping the house straight, I had no drive to finish my school... writing, that was my drug. And so I cut myself off.

I'm scared that going back to writing now, might mean I slip back into that younger me, that the life I'm in the middle of building doesn't seem as important to me anymore. I am getting healthy, I am training to get my entry-level trainer license (Trainer C Fitness- und Gesundheitssport), I have exams, written and practical, all through May. This is what I am working towards. I can't get lost in a lone werewolf's struggles to cope with a strange pack moving into her city... Or wonder about selkies... Or dream up myths that are close enough to our world that they resonate...

yet I really, really (tears in my eyes) want to.

I thought maybe, I can hang out with you guys?

• Like 3

On 4/24/2017 at 5:25 AM, Katrin the Morag said:

I'm not at a point where I want to revisit the Artist's Way. I love the book and have worked with it in the past. But it's your thread title that drew me in. I have recently had the fortune/misfortune to have my yearning rekindled. And I'm scared. So I thought "This thread is title like it was meant for me." But I'm scardycat, so I am posting here anyway. Not gonna let some fears stop me.

In the early years of this millenium I wrote. A lot. I wanted to be an author, so writing I did. Life happened, and I could barely cope, and still I wrote. But I was very enthusiastic and naive. So I showed unfinished material to friends and family, heart on my sleave. And I kept blocking myself up. Writing myself into corners. Putting a lot of pressure on myself. Eventually, years and depressions later I decided I couldn't do this anymore. I'm a recless person, writing, being a writer I sacrificed a lot for it. And everything suffered for it. I wasn't a good mum, or a good partner, I sucked at keeping the house straight, I had no drive to finish my school... writing, that was my drug. And so I cut myself off.

I'm scared that going back to writing now, might mean I slip back into that younger me, that the life I'm in the middle of building doesn't seem as important to me anymore. I am getting healthy, I am training to get my entry-level trainer license (Trainer C Fitness- und Gesundheitssport), I have exams, written and practical, all through May. This is what I am working towards. I can't get lost in a lone werewolf's struggles to cope with a strange pack moving into her city... Or wonder about selkies... Or dream up myths that are close enough to our world that they resonate...

yet I really, really (tears in my eyes) want to.

I thought maybe, I can hang out with you guys?

Of course you can hang with us!  Thank you for sharing - I recognize a lot in your post, and I know for sure others will too.  In fact, I'm using these exercises as part of the healing process for myself. We're our worst critics.  These first exercises (well, most of them, I guess) are pretty simple.  Like, making "me" time to go for a walk (without listening to a podcast - eep).  

I listened to the audiobook on kind of a whim.  I didn't know about the book, nor when I started this challenge did I know it was a 12 week program, LOL.  Then when I did a Google search, turns out it's a 25 year old book and about 8 billion bloggers used it as blog material.  

It came along for me at just the right time.  You can try a few, or just follow along.  Try to not stress about it :)

Also, question... und Gesundheitssport?  Is that a personal trainer?

• Like 1

On 4/24/2017 at 11:39 AM, jmk said:

I need to get my daughter's scrapbook done.  This will be a great help - I'll post soon!

Thanks!

Awesome!  I just squish papers in a book with a half-hearted location/date/names of people if I ever get around to it.

I'm glad you're here!

• Like 1

Ok, here we are at Week 1!

There's two exercises that are continued all week:

1.      Morning Pages  - write 3 pages, stream of consciousness style, everyday.  The stream of consciousness leaves nothing for the inner critic to critique and be stupid and moany about.  I recommend trying to do them for at least a couple days.  I find that it really clears my thinking during the day, and I have some muddled thinking.

2.      Artist’s Date - once a week, do something for about an hour or two all by yourself.  Do something new, go to a new place, or walk without music or other distraction.  It's a way to feed your inner artist.

Tasks

Here's our weekly tasks!

1.      Time travel. 

a.      List 3 enemies of your creative self. “Monsters” 

b.      List 3 champions.  Family, authors

2.      Imaginary lives.  If you have 5 other lives to lead, what would you do with them?

3.      Take your artist for a walk.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2017 at 5:25 AM, Katrin the Morag said:

I'm scared that going back to writing now, might mean I slip back into that younger me, that the life I'm in the middle of building doesn't seem as important to me anymore.

Is it possible to set a specific time to write? Like, right after dinner you write for one hour. Whatever you want, whatever the tale, you get as much of it down on paper as you can for that hour. When that hour is up, you stop. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. One hour, time, pencils down. Come back to it tomorrow.

Alternatively can you write short stories? I don't personally have any experience in the area of them, but I'm sure there's resources out there that can tell you how to outline a three to five page story, and maybe that's how you can get your fix.

Just a couple ideas for you there. I hope you can find a way to get back into it and maintain your other goals as well.

• Like 2

Is it possible to set a specific time to write? Like, right after dinner you write for one hour. Whatever you want, whatever the tale, you get as much of it down on paper as you can for that hour. When that hour is up, you stop. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. One hour, time, pencils down. Come back to it tomorrow.

Alternatively can you write short stories? I don't personally have any experience in the area of them, but I'm sure there's resources out there that can tell you how to outline a three to five page story, and maybe that's how you can get your fix.

Just a couple ideas for you there. I hope you can find a way to get back into it and maintain your other goals as well.

That's a great idea. I'm using a timer for other things already... I'll give it a try. I've written short stories, they aren't less work or easier to contain than larger stories, I'm sad to report. The only thing is, that you only work on them for a few days or weeks, instead of months.

But yeah, not easier on the Not Get Overwhelmed Front.

Thank you for the idea, much appreciated.

---

"Travel lightly, for what you bring with you becomes part of your landscape." -Anne Bishop

• Like 3

Guys, I feel kinda bad about this, but I had to change one of my Challenge goals. We're only a week in, but I have been having brief panic episodes the past couple days because, even though my Goal was to finish a novel I started last year for NaNoWriMo-- I'm halfway through the gorram thing-- I can't FORCE my writing. That doesn't work. The writing happens at it's own pace, that's how it works for me. So right now, when the story isn't forming, I'm panicking because I haven't written anything today.

So I had to shift my goal to "Write at least 100 words every day." It can either be longhand or typed, the novel, journalling, or a bit of a different story if that's what is wanting to happen. And I think that's a good goal. And I know that shifting a goal to account for what may have been too lofty isn't FAILURE, I still feel bad about it. I wanted to be able to have good solid goals that I could get done.

But I can't compromise my mental health in the name of that. :( 

• Like 3

On 30/04/2017 at 0:53 AM, Artemis Wolf said:

Guys, I feel kinda bad about this, but I had to change one of my Challenge goals. We're only a week in, but I have been having brief panic episodes the past couple days because, even though my Goal was to finish a novel I started last year for NaNoWriMo-- I'm halfway through the gorram thing-- I can't FORCE my writing. That doesn't work. The writing happens at it's own pace, that's how it works for me. So right now, when the story isn't forming, I'm panicking because I haven't written anything today.

So I had to shift my goal to "Write at least 100 words every day." It can either be longhand or typed, the novel, journalling, or a bit of a different story if that's what is wanting to happen. And I think that's a good goal. And I know that shifting a goal to account for what may have been too lofty isn't FAILURE, I still feel bad about it. I wanted to be able to have good solid goals that I could get done.

But I can't compromise my mental health in the name of that. :( 

Don't feel bad about adjusting a goal, that wasn't healthy or well worded. Your goal is to show up, every single day. The words will come, when you show up every day. It might take a while, but it will take way longer when you force it or don't show up at all. It's good that you adjusted. GOOD JOB!

Hugs against anxiety!

• Like 2