• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blocky

Blocky joins Section 9

Sorry, should mention, your hands can be anywhere inside of the rings, but the maximmm legal grip width requires the rings to be covered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Juni0r83 said:

Sorry, should mention, your hands can be anywhere inside of the rings, but the maximmm legal grip width requires the rings to be covered.

I missed that bit... but yeah, there's no minimum width requirements

• Like 2

Also adding to the issue:

l8bki.jpg

i listed a standard power bar because of this. The bars at my gym have a very narrow set of rings, and no center knurling. Power bars have the wide set of rings pictured and center knurling. There is a specific width for those rings, I just can't remember it without looking up the rules specifically...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juni0r83 said:

l8bki.jpg

i listed a standard power bar because of this. The bars at my gym have a very narrow set of rings, and no center knurling. Power bars have the wide set of rings pictured and center knurling. There is a specific width for those rings, I just can't remember it without looking up the rules specifically...

81cm between the rings.

When I used a commercial gym, I had to carry around a piece of string that was cut to grip width because every damn bar had different markings.

• Like 1

l8bki.jpg

Also... ewwww... the snap fitness' around here are super shitty

17 minutes ago, Blocky said:

Also... ewwww... the snap fitness' around here are super shitty

The manager at this gym lets me us chalk, and drop weights, and they're getting a platform for me. My biggest issue is the bench is competition height, and has fixed pins.

plus it's one of the biggest snap fitness centers in the state.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Blocky said:

Wow... my normal grip that I've used for ages is pinkies about 1-1.5" inside the rings - it always felt ok because I'm very tricep dominant. For about 6 months I went out to pinkies on the rings and now I'm most comfortable with ring finger on the rings.

I'm definitely chest-dominant, so the wider grip feels much stronger to me (but I suspect height difference = pinkies on rings means something different to me, width-wise)

16 hours ago, Blocky said:

So... apparently I can't have nice things... Woke up today with a stupidly sore and swollen ankle (even though I don't remember injuring it at all). It feels like I'm stepping on lego constantly when I walk. I thought it was maybe a bruise but all the tendons and ligament son the inside of the ankle are angry too. I'm guessing it's come from the jumping I've doing but seriously can't remember even a twinge before today.

That sucks D: D: I hope it heals up soon

8 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

My biggest issue is the bench is competition height,

Whoa wait this is a thing too? Do you mean the cradle height or the bench height from the floor?

Today I used the crap bar for the warrior mini b/c it's the only one at the gym below 45 lbs that's rackable. However, I immediately noticed that the rings are also closer together, so my grip was a little closer and I did end up failing out before the 40th rep due to gassed triceps *giant sad face* They need the attention too, anyway.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

yikes! hope your ankle heals up quickly. ice and elevate? good on you for getting other stuff done though!

7 hours ago, ixaera said:

I didn't really have time for ice and whatever but I did throw some compression socks on for most of the day.

It felt terrible when I woke up this morning but after a few hours it's bearable... deadlifting this afternoon is going to be a challenge...

10 hours ago, ixaera said:

I'm definitely chest-dominant, so the wider grip feels much stronger to me (but I suspect height difference = pinkies on rings means something different to me, width-wise)

Whoa wait this is a thing too? Do you mean the cradle height or the bench height from the floor?

Today I used the crap bar for the warrior mini b/c it's the only one at the gym below 45 lbs that's rackable. However, I immediately noticed that the rings are also closer together, so my grip was a little closer and I did end up failing out before the 40th rep due to gassed triceps *giant sad face* They need the attention too, anyway.

So that should have been isn't not is, but yes, a competition bench is a set height from the floor. In the ipf they do allow blocks under your feet for people who need them, but I get better leg drive on a competition bench because I can get my feet further under me.

• Like 2

So that should have been isn't not is, but yes, a competition bench is a set height from the floor. In the ipf they do allow blocks under your feet for people who need them, but I get better leg drive on a competition bench because I can get my feet further under me.

I went to extra effort to buy a bench for my power rack that was very close to comp height - I had been using a lower bench during my commercial gym training (I call them the dark times) and wasn't getting my legs in a good position.

• Like 2

Deadlift day in the books. Went better than expected - the ankle was fine with deadlifting and squatting but a little painful on the lunges and leg pressing.

Got a new 5RM on deadlifts - it's been a while since I last did sets of 5 (3 is my normal reps per set) and managed 2 sets of 5 at 157.5kg. Did heavy doubles on block pulls and finished with 2 at 170kg. Did some squats with the SSB and got up to 8 at 80kg (my knee really hates these). Tried a new thing today which was narrow stance box squats with the SSB (I read something over at EliteFTS that said that this a good movement if you tend to fold over in the squat) and I think it will work - could really feel the knees working and had to fight pretty hard to stay upright. Also did lunges and leg pressing.

Fitness Goals:

Strengthen cybernetic components (Good Lifting):         7/15

Maintain cardio-respiratory functions (Hard Cardio):       5/20

Install reactive software (Jumping/Gymnastics):               6/15

Install combat subroutines (Practice Martial Arts):            2/15

Life Goals:

Tachikoma maintenance (Van Service/Tyres):                  0/1

Upgrade body armour (Get hiking gear ready):                0/1  

Observe combat weight limits (Get to 95kg):                    0/1

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Blocky said:

Got a new 5RM on deadlifts - it's been a while since I last did sets of 5 (3 is my normal reps per set) and managed 2 sets of 5 at 157.5kg. Did heavy doubles on block pulls and finished with 2 at 170kg.

Image result for daamn gif

• Like 3

bench.jpg

Bench Day:

Gave the wider grip another whirl and it still seems like it's going to be slightly stronger. Hit a single at 110kg+18kg chains - with the narrower grip I've been getting 105-107.5kg for singles. Did a bunch of closegrip benching, OHP, seated rows and tricep pushdowns on bands.

I'm not going to be good with food today - Mrs Blocky is making chicken and waffles with waffles and icecream for dessert...

Ankle is still shitty but deadlifting yesterday doesn't seem to have made it worse.

Fitness Goals:

Strengthen cybernetic components (Good Lifting):         8/15

Maintain cardio-respiratory functions (Hard Cardio):       5/20

Life Goals:

Observe combat weight limits (Get to 95kg):                    0/1

These ghost in the shell memes are getting out of hand:

e3c.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blocky said:

In non-fitnessnews, we got a new pupper:

20170430_133557.jpg

which we have named Kuchi Kopi after this thing from Bob's burgers:

kuchi.png

This is perfect! Bob's Burgers is one of my fave things to crush on. I have a Tina shirt I workout in. I need MOAR. 

tumblr_naqqdc4k0T1rets1lo1_500.gif

• Like 2

The ears! Omg they look longer than the puppy is tall! *Needs to find a friend with a dog so she can play with it right now*

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's been a rough couple of days - new pupper is extremely time consuming and also appears to be a dark matter conversion machine - the amount of poop coming out is far greater than the amount of food going in. Got 0 mins sleep on monday night and tuesday I felt like a zombie. Had a benadryl nap last night and feel good again. Mrs Blocky and I are alternating sleepless nights so we don't go completely crazy.

Good and bad training session on monday - good because I did all the heavy squats without too much drama and then bad because my knee has fucked up again and those squats hurt... a lot. Very much a mind over matter deal to get through the session - I skipped the SSB squats, but did the heavy comp squats (5 doubles at 145kg) and heavier speedy deadlifts (10 singles at 152.5kg + 10kg chain). Also did some back extensions and some lighter leg presses so I could say I did most of the planned work.

Ankle has gotten back to about 80%, so I'm not limping around anymore, but till can't run or jump. So doing a lot of static stuff for cardio - this morning was 300 kettlebell swings and 300 deadball slams and running around after pupper because she has worked out she can kinda climb the back stairs but can't get down.

Fitness Goals:

Strengthen cybernetic components (Good Lifting):         9/15

Maintain cardio-respiratory functions (Hard Cardio):       6/20

Life Goals:

Observe combat weight limits (Get to 95kg):                    0/1    Still sitting around 97.5

• Like 1