• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Juni0r83

Juni0r83 squeezes himself back into spandex

The date of my upcoming competition is fast approaching, and the peak has already begun. It's crunch time people. Like, literally, time to crunch my flabby but back into a singlet.

So goals for this challenge will be simple to reflect the amount of focus I should be placing on my powerlifting.

1. Work through your pre-competition to do list

a. Register for the competition. There are some reasons I can't do this yet, but it's still on the list

b. Book the time off with work so that you can actually go

c. Organise the logistics of going (travel, accommodation, meals, etc)

d. Write up your competition packing list

e. Pack for the competition

f. Don't chicken out

2. Track and restrict calorie intake. I'm easing up on my deficit because at this point its fairly clear I'm not going to lose 20kg in the next 4 weeks. So instead, I'll go for a steady 1-1.5kg per week deficit. 3000-3500 calories per day. The key here will be the tracking though. I've been fairly slack on that front.

3. Start doing some cardio. I currently do 45 - 60 minutes per week with my Dad walking up a local mountain. I'll start adding in some addition sessions until I get up to 3 sessions per week of between 30 and 60 minutes each. 

4. Pick a writing project, and work on it. I did manage to write more last challenge, but because I've been focusing on short, quick to produce pieces of work, I'm constantly in a state of looking for something to write. Instead I plan on picking a larger project, planning it out, and just writing it. Aim for 3000 words per week from week 1, using zero week to get the planning done.

Anyway, competition is on Sunday the 14th of May, and my goal is to hit a higher total at a lower body weight. No requirements on by how much in either category, so long as it happens. But I would like to finally manage a 350 wilks. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

The date of my upcoming competition is fast approaching, and the peak has already begun. It's crunch time people. Like, literally, time to crunch my flabby but back into a singlet.

So goals for this challenge will be simple to reflect the amount of focus I should be placing on my powerlifting.

1. Work through your pre-competition to do list

a. Register for the competition. There are some reasons I can't do this yet, but it's still on the list

b. Book the time off with work so that you can actually go

c. Organise the logistics of going (travel, accommodation, meals, etc)

d. Write up your competition packing list

e. Pack for the competition

f. Don't chicken out

2. Track and restrict calorie intake. I'm easing up on my deficit because at this point its fairly clear I'm not going to lose 20kg in the next 4 weeks. So instead, I'll go for a steady 1-1.5kg per week deficit. 3000-3500 calories per day. The key here will be the tracking though. I've been fairly slack on that front.

3. Start doing some cardio. I currently do 45 - 60 minutes per week with my Dad walking up a local mountain. I'll start adding in some addition sessions until I get up to 3 sessions per week of between 30 and 60 minutes each. 

4. Pick a writing project, and work on it. I did manage to write more last challenge, but because I've been focusing on short, quick to produce pieces of work, I'm constantly in a state of looking for something to write. Instead I plan on picking a larger project, planning it out, and just writing it. Aim for 3000 words per week from week 1, using zero week to get the planning done.

Anyway, competition is on Sunday the 14th of May, and my goal is to hit a higher total at a lower body weight. No requirements on by how much in either category, so long as it happens. But I would like to finally manage a 350 wilks. 

Which meet are you going to do? I'm guessing you're not far off 350?

• Like 1

Just now, Blocky said:

Which meet are you going to do? I'm guessing you're not far off 350?

The Hostile Barbell Classic in Adelaide. And no not far, the last virtual comp (when I feel I should have broken it) I managed a 344.9, so only a few points left to add.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

The comp is so soon! How far is the travel?

4 hours drive without traffic. Although, its country SA, so the worst it'll be is around 5 hours, and that's pretty rare.

Okay, I haven't had a great start to my week.

Goal 1: Nope. Not ready for that just yet

Goal 2: Again, Nope, but I don't have the above excuse

Goal 3: Well, I walked up a mountain... So I guess that's a win

Goal 4: I've figured out how I'm going to generate ideas, now I just have to find the time to actually do it.

But, worse than all of this, I've missed two opportunities to lift this week already. I've been doing extra shifts at work, so when I had the time off I decided to spend the time with friends and family instead. Not all is lost though, I've crammed the extra work into the next two sessions to make up for it.

• Like 1

sounds like the extra time with friends and family might of been needed with all the extra time at work. just remember that lifting iron helps alleviate stress too :D

so excited for your meet! 350 wilks!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

sounds like the extra time with friends and family might of been needed with all the extra time at work. just remember that lifting iron helps alleviate stress too :D

so excited for your meet! 350 wilks!!

Yeah, the iron will have to wait until tonight. But then, there shall be a reckoning...

37 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Following.

Excited for you!!!!!

Kind of torn between excited and just freaking out that I won't be ready for it. I waited until I'd been lifting for 2 years before I showed up for my first comp, and my progress in the last 6 months has been less than impressive. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

Okay, is anyone else starting to panic about how many threads they've started following, or is it just me?

I seriously waste about an hour at work in the morning getting up to date and then periodically checking throughout the day to stay on top of it. I am ok with this...

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

Okay, is anyone else starting to panic about how many threads they've started following, or is it just me?

13 hours ago, Blocky said:

I seriously waste about an hour at work in the morning getting up to date and then periodically checking throughout the day to stay on top of it. I am ok with this...

yes. all of this.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Blocky said:

I get up early to catch up. It's just easier for me than the end of the day. But it's made me turn into a morning person, so I guess NF is helping me achieve my life goals after all. ;)

• Like 6

On 4/20/2017 at 10:00 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I get up early to catch up. It's just easier for me than the end of the day. But it's made me turn into a morning person, so I guess NF is helping me achieve my life goals after all. ;)

Email notifications will be the death of me I swear. I don't do it early in the morning, or late at night, I just keep a constant vigil looking for updates. Did you know that all you people stop talking while I'm supposed to be awake? It's awfully inconsiderate.:P

• Like 3

On 4/19/2017 at 2:57 PM, Juni0r83 said:

I just leave it up and periodically poke my head in. Keeps me from playing catch-up like I did this past week.

• Like 1

Week 0 wrap up (and yes, I know that for me, week 1 started like 2-3 days ago, but I'm lazy, alright?)

1) Work through pre-competition to do list - nadda. But to be honest, I didn't expect to touch this one just yet. The registrations for my comp aren't even open yet, so no movement on this front just yet.

2) Track and Restrict intake - nope still. I've really got to work on this. As much as I've long since stopped caring that I will never have the ripped body-builder style physique, it is still kind of important to me that I get down to a body-fat level that is at least halfway healthy. And of course, looking better is just a side bonus. Plan going forward: I don't know. Track harder? No, that won't work. Let me get back to you on this one.

3) Increase cardio from one session to 3 sessions per week. Yeah, I didn't do this. Just the one session last week, and I'm not yet convinced that I'll get another one done this week just yet. I'll bug dad to find out what he says. But I have thought of a way to push myself to do this more. 3 sessions per week, 3 exercises that I hate. Burpees, box jumps, and kettle bell swings. If at the end of the week I've managed one session, I have to take two of these exercises and do a 21-15-9 with a 250m row after each set for time of the other two. If I manage two, I just pick one exercise to do the 21-15-9 with a 250m row after each set. You get the picture. Failure to cardio, equals metcon from hell (for me at least). Good luck me I guess.

4) Pick a writing project, and work on it - Well, I finally nailed down an idea that I like, and is not from my list of 'sacred' ideas that are important enough to me to not work on until I'm, you know, actually any good. But I didn't get done what I was supposed to for this one. I've only managed to get the idea sorted, I haven't got characters, or a developed plot line or anything. That's next. My goal is to have that done by the end of week 1, then to consistently produce around 3000 words per week. Nothing too extreme, just enough to force me to work on it regularly and start to build some good habits around writing. I'm yet to figure out if I want to add something to this goal about having my stuff critiqued by people who aren't friends and family. Maybe.

That wraps up week 0, time to start crushing week 1!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

2) Track and Restrict intake - nope still. I've really got to work on this. As much as I've long since stopped caring that I will never have the ripped body-builder style physique, it is still kind of important to me that I get down to a body-fat level that is at least halfway healthy. And of course, looking better is just a side bonus. Plan going forward: I don't know. Track harder? No, that won't work. Let me get back to you on this one.

Suggestion? Just track. For the whole challenge. Get a month long window of how you eat and drink. You can write it down or use MFP or whatever you want (I've switched over to fitbit because MFP won't import my calories burned and it's becoming irritating.) Also don't change your diet because of what you see in your log, It's tempting ( I KNOW) but you need that unfiltered view of your eating habits. There are two very important caveats to this though. You have to track EVERYTHING and you have to be honest. That might be enough of a challenge for the next 4 weeks.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Grumble said:

Suggestion? Just track. For the whole challenge. Get a month long window of how you eat and drink. You can write it down or use MFP or whatever you want (I've switched over to fitbit because MFP won't import my calories burned and it's becoming irritating.) Also don't change your diet because of what you see in your log, It's tempting ( I KNOW) but you need that unfiltered view of your eating habits. There are two very important caveats to this though. You have to track EVERYTHING and you have to be honest. That might be enough of a challenge for the next 4 weeks.

I know you're right, and its actually the advice I give to people (even have done so on this forum in various places) along with daily weigh ins to establish weekly averages that demonstrate weight change trends. Make changes once you have a good view of your habits and common mistakes, and only make changes if your weight change trend is not what you want it to be.

I'm just not good at taking my own advice. But if at least tracked, I'd consider it a win right now...

what if you scaled back tracking to just 3 days per week? and that has to include a weekend/off day (those are always the hardest for me). ease yourself into the habit of tracking?

grats on finding an idea to write about!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

I know you're right, and its actually the advice I give to people (even have done so on this forum in various places) along with daily weigh ins to establish weekly averages that demonstrate weight change trends. Make changes once you have a good view of your habits and common mistakes, and only make changes if your weight change trend is not what you want it to be.

I'm just not good at taking my own advice. But if at least tracked, I'd consider it a win right now...

Forget the weigh-ins. At least for now. This suggested challenges is all about tracking food. If you have problems following all of your own advice, only follow part of it.

10 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

what if you scaled back tracking to just 3 days per week? and that has to include a weekend/off day (those are always the hardest for me). ease yourself into the habit of tracking?

grats on finding an idea to write about!

This might be a better place to start. Work your way up to the every day tracking. Might take longer than one challenge, but hey, if it works.

• Like 1

Maybe you could ease into it in stages?

Week 1: Track breakfast every day. (Put an alarm on your phone to remind you?)

Week 2: Track breakfast and lunch every day.

Week 3: Track breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day.

Week 4: Track breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks every day. 

Then NEXT challenge track everything for the whole thing? 

I've never done it that way, but it feels like it might work...

• Like 2

On 19 Apr 2017 at 11:57 PM, Juni0r83 said:

I'm panicking by the amount of threads I'd like to follow but haven't yet started!

Re tracking, while I'm used to it and it's easy to make it a habit again, I can't seem to restrict my calories.

• Like 2