• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jord

Taddea Zhaan - in a galaxy far farscape away

50 minutes ago, MichiruSedai said:

I'm excited to hear how your garden comes along!  I really want to get into container gardening, but I freely admit I'm a giant slacker. :P

Haha. You could always start with ONE container. What is your favorite vegetable? 

• Like 2

Haha. You could always start with ONE container. What is your favorite vegetable? 

I'm almost curious how far we can push the line with this question.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, RedStone said:

17 hours ago, Grumble said:

I'm almost curious how far we can push the line with this question.

I hate to admit it but I don't get the joke. Unless you are taking this dirt-y places. 

48 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I hate to admit it but I don't get the joke. Unless you are taking this dirt-y places.

I just assumed that was the intention. Usually a pretty safe bet. 

• Like 1

Saturday & Sunday

Did lots of gardening stuff!

- dug up some more invasive roots near the house

- pruned raspberries (from previous owner and I would like to start working on these, there are not a lot but I think I can get these wrapped around a trellis and end up with a good amount)

- planted experimental leeks! experimental cuz from seed and in a shady spot. these will take pretty much all the rest of the year to grow, so they are not in my regular garden bed. 

- put radish and short carrot seeds in the window baskets (paris market carrots are short and meant for containers)

- planted a couple of shade floral perennials in the back

- bought my reward from the last challenge! a little bonsai that's going to end up at my work desk (picture in the coming days)

- and Mr T picked out a venus fly trap

On Sunday I went for a hike with @elvenengineer which was fabulous and exactly what I needed to work out my leg DOMS. 

ZSCgP5blCNqV1b7kZ29Xwqj4jxeYhRfE_YTd4gDD

I'm sort of glossing over the part where I partied too hard Saturday night with whiskey and pizza and am 3# bloated. >_>

abug.gif

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

- and Mr T picked out a venus fly trap

This made me lol. He likes the carnivorous plants, does he?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Urgan said:

This made me lol. He likes the carnivorous plants, does he?

It was totally unexpected and made me LOL too! I have no idea, we have never had one! It just made me laugh because it seems like a very guy thing "oh look, let's get this carnivorous plant."

His logic (which I cannot argue with) is that if we get fruit flies/gnats in the summer the plant will eat them. It's very small right now and in a very small pot, but gonna let it chill per the internet. 

• Like 3

On 4/21/2017 at 8:42 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I mean, maybe it's open to interpretation but his new special has a 20 min bit about how'd like a boyfriend but he's nervous about the D. And it wasn't like a "oh I'm just joking" it was very on point. 

He also mentions at one point (earlier in the special) that one thing that he admires about people who are transgender is that they have figured out who they are and have gone for it. 

It sounds like he is still figuring himself out and I'm proud of him for exploring it on stage. 

You should watch it on Netflix and report back. 

I've heard the new one is odd. I read a review of it and they pointed out that his overall delivery was much more direct and pointed... fewer of his usual awkward pauses and tangents.  And he wrote a suit instead of his usual black t-shirt. So it was an odd performance I hear. 

And I'm with him on transgendered people ( gay, lesbian,  whatever). Figuring out your something different than society expects and advertorial l accepts and being that takes real guts.

Plus,  a comedian exploring their sexuality, as Louis ck often does at length... I wouldn't call that coming out, and Louis ck going official would be all over the Internet. 

Or maybe he's dropping hints. I need to watch it,  but I got rid of Netflix to save money and time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

It was totally unexpected and made me LOL too! I have no idea, we have never had one! It just made me laugh because it seems like a very guy thing "oh look, let's get this carnivorous plant."

His logic (which I cannot argue with) is that if we get fruit flies/gnats in the summer the plant will eat them. It's very small right now and in a very small pot, but gonna let it chill per the internet. 

let us know how it goes! we get fruit flies and i'd love to be able to just take care of those buggers with a plant.

7 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

let us know how it goes! we get fruit flies and i'd love to be able to just take care of those buggers with a plant.

It's pretty little (has maybe 5 fly traps?). But I would assume that if you had a few of them (or a couple bigger ones) they could take out quite a few flies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

- put radish and short carrot seeds in the window baskets (paris market carrots are short and meant for containers)

Ohh those sound like they might like my balcony. Once my apartment is finally unpacked/clean I may ask you to come over again and help me plant things?

Figure out what to plant? I like carrots and peppers and broccoli and cauliflower and herbs. Though if I grew anything I'd just eat it, I'm not too picky.

4 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

Ohh those sound like they might like my balcony. Once my apartment is finally unpacked/clean I may ask you to come over again and help me plant things?

Figure out what to plant? I like carrots and peppers and broccoli and cauliflower and herbs. Though if I grew anything I'd just eat it, I'm not too picky.

Yes! I have some leftover herb seeds too (cilantro & parsley). But I think most things (except the carrots) are easier to start from a plant when you are dealing with a balcony, since you only need a couple of each thing. Carrots, peppers, and herbs would be a fine use of space. Broccoli and cauliflower take up a lot of room for only a small return. 

• Like 2

It's pretty little (has maybe 5 fly traps?). But I would assume that if you had a few of them (or a couple bigger ones) they could take out quite a few flies. 

We have pet GALS, and there's always some soil gnats in their tank - I wonder if Venus fly traps would help? That is, if the snails don't munch through them in one night!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Monday

[x] water

[x] work goals

[x] mobility 

Monday BB Club

Monday, April 24, 2017 at 6:34 PM

Squat

Set 1: 45 lb × 3

Set 2: 70 lb × 3

Set 3: 100 lb × 1

Set 4: 100 lb × 1

Set 5: 100 lb × 1

Set 6: 100 lb × 1

First triple digit squats and they were EASY! Two more weeks and then test 1RM. I'll have about a two week break from squats post surgery (vs 6 weeks for arm work). So I almost don't want to test 1RM, but I'm really curious and I want to know. 

Bench Press

Set 1: 45 lb × 5

Set 2: 65 lb × 3

Set 3: 77 lb × 3

Set 4: 77 lb × 2

Set 5: 75 lb × 2

Set 6: 65 lb × 6

Bench continues to piss me off. We talked about it and he's going to work on a new strategy for when I recover from my arm surgery. In general the higher rep sessions are going better than the higher weight / low rep. That said, the 77x3 is still one more rep than I have gotten at 77, but the plan was 77 4x3! Previous best was 77x2. 

Trap Bar Deadlift

Set 1: 155 lb × 3

Set 2: 195 lb × 1

Set 3: 195 lb × 1

Set 4: 195 lb × 1

Set 5: 195 lb × 1

Set 6: 195 lb × 1

I've determined that I think my front shoulder has been irritated from slamming down my trap bar heavy reps, from the bounce back. I worked on being gentle and I didn't wake up with shoulder discomfort today. 

TRX Inverted Row

Set 1: 14 reps

Set 2: 14 reps

Set 3: 14 reps

Step Ups

Set 1: 13 lb × 10

I walked 3 miles at work yesterday and my feet were KILLING me. 3 miles is not the problem. The problem is I wear (sort of) nursing clogs (they have a heel back, but they slip on) to work, and not walking shoes. So at the late late hour of post-lift I went to the shoe store because I have to walk a lot at work again today. I wanted office shoes but comfy and lace up so they stick to my feet and I have less heel pain. I couldn't find what I wanted. Why are men's shoes designed to make your feet look bigger? (I tried on 5 different styles and all were terrible or uncomfortable.) I was getting more and more upset and refused to leave without new shoes. I would have thrown $50 at someone just to make my feet happy for one day.

Finally threw my hands in the air and waved 'em like I just don't care and settled for black tennis shoes that were not too hideous and not too sporty. The hunt for lace up office shoes will continue, I may order some online from Nurse Mates that lace up, via amazon with free returns. 

Today, I'm walkin' on Addidas clouds apparently:

XXEolqF9USOgkXBHGyr393ghwBSiZX-toAcnRgZc

22 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

We have pet GALS, and there's always some soil gnats in their tank - I wonder if Venus fly traps would help? That is, if the snails don't munch through them in one night!

I had to look up what that was, so cool! I feel like the snails would eat the plants though.... Unless the plants had wire mesh around them that flies could get through but not the snails. 

• Like 9

ugh, sorry about the walking shoe debacle! when i'm walking a lot these are what i wear (one, two, three) and i have super wide feet. but i also don't need a ton of support because i'm used to barefoot walking/running. good luck!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CourtnieMarie said:

ugh, sorry about the walking shoe debacle! when i'm walking a lot these are what i wear (one, two, three) and i have super wide feet. but i also don't need a ton of support because i'm used to barefoot walking/running. good luck!!

I will second Bass shoes! They are all I wear for work and I love them. They can be on the pricey side, but we have an outlet near us, so I generally get them for about $25 a pair. 

Just now, Sylvaa said:

I will second Bass shoes! They are all I wear for work and I love them. They can be on the pricey side, but we have an outlet near us, so I generally get them for about $25 a pair. 

same! but i find the ballet flats comparable to what i imagine Tieks are like and the price tag for Bass is much more manageable!

• Like 1

We are trying our best to start a real garden this year but it's already about to be in the 90's with no signs of non human-melting temps so I may just stick with our herb container garden, lol.

Shout out for the trap bar DLs, I love that lift.  Trying not to drop the weight does tend to help your joints out, and gives you a bonus for more work/gains :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suzyQlou said:

Garden adventures already.  And what a treat.  Not just one...but two...warriors training for a 5k.  This looks like a fun thread to follow for sure!

@Taddea Zhaantalked me into it....

I will blame her for any and all gainz lost! :P 

• Like 2

On 4/19/2017 at 9:17 PM, Deciduous said:

Maintenance has always been a weird spot for me too - I think part of why I love lifting is that you get to see the graph move (I know you like this too) and aiming for flatlining doesn't have the oomph of a moving target. Wonder if there is a way to make it one. Like divide maintenance weight by days maintained or something! But with a non-nonsense number result.

Team bulk all the time, always. :P

On 4/21/2017 at 7:08 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I was thinking yesterday about the difference between feeling sorry for yourself and self-care. I think if I just flat out say you shouldn't feel sorry for yourself that most people and myself would disagree with that. Sometimes life is shit and it's okay to be fucked up about it. But if I contrast that with self care then it seems like feeling sorry for yourself can be avoided if you transform it into self-care. It feels like two different mentalities to me. 

Occasionally people will mention that they are impressed with my recovery and my positive attitude. But really it wasn't always that way and I think it was the transition from feeling sorry for myself to developing a lifestyle of self-care. 

But you can do the same activity and it can be one or the other. You can have a shit day and come home and drown your sorrows in booze, or you can come home and say you know what, I had a shit day and I deserve some booze and I'm going to own that and relax. Feels like two different mentalities to me. 

QFT

On 4/22/2017 at 8:32 AM, MichiruSedai said:

I'm excited to hear how your garden comes along!  I really want to get into container gardening, but I freely admit I'm a giant slacker. :P

Same girl, same.

I've been thinking about getting my garden started. The green onions is a good idea! I'll have to try that. I've only ever done herbs before.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2017 at 7:58 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Sadly they don't really get very big, but fun fact: they're domestic, not tropical! (enthusiast, guilty) Basically swamp cover from North Carolina. A bed is a touch more impressive than the one, but who has room for that :P considering they need high heat and humidity, so for us northeners it's a little tricky to do anything but the little swampy cup it comes in, though a little terrarium solution would be boss! Eventually it'll turn black and go dormant. Shake it loose from the soil, put it in a ziplock and toss it in the back of the fridge. Set an alert for 3 months and there should be new growth starting at the root ball, ready for another season! :D You'll also know if they're eating bugs or not (they survive both ways no problem), by the color. mo blood = mo red

giphy.gif

• Like 3