4 hours ago, Wolfen said:

I read this article a few years ago, but I stumbled onto it again via Facebook memories. It's an article about accepting ourselves as we are based on the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi, or "imperfect beauty." Link below:

The Wabi-Sabi Self

Wabi-Sabi-Self.jpg

"But apparent imperfections are often our better parts, especially when viewed from a fresh angle."

"Using a wabi-sabi perspective to view so-called flaws doesn’t mean relinquishing your standards, but it does allow you to see and care for your present self exactly as you are."

Loved this article! Thank you for sharing. 

As always, I am here for your challenge. 

• Like 4

Did you guys see the most recent post on Nerd Fitness? It's about mindfulness!

A Nerd's Guide to Mindfulness

"Basically, mindfulness is just being aware of what you are doing, when you are doing it, and becoming a master of your mind, rather than being controlled by your subconscious impulses."

mindfulness-.gif

• Like 2

Week 0 Day 2 (Monday):

dvd-avatar-the-last-airbender-season-3-release-date-premiere-2015jpeg-318aa4_1280w.jpg

Let's do this!

• Eggs for breakfast, topped with salsa and red pepper sauce
  • Stepped outside barefoot and did some (very amatuer) tai-chi and stretches; also sat in a deep squat and felt the earth.
  • Made green tea with ACV, honey, and jasmine essential oils.
  • Drank some carrot juice
  • Ate an orange on the way to work.
  • Brief WHM breathing session (8 minutes).
  • Drank about 44 ounces of water.
  • Lunch was a bowl of hearty tomato soup with barley (tomato, red peppers, garlic, and toasted barley).
  • Helped my mentor again; we fed his chickens some cabbage and tomato, filled their feeders with corn, and also filled a small pool with water for the ducks. We also carried some discarded supplies to the trash and put some more building materials away in the garage.
  • Dinner: mix of curry chicken, spicy chicken, and Hawaiian grilled chicken with cabbage, carrots, and broccoli.
  • Took a brief trip to the Coal River; swam for a bit in the crisp, cool running water and then stood on a large boulder by the river and roared like the spirit of the forest.

tumblr_inline_nl3wdaZbFJ1spg4o9.jpg

"Now I understand..." -- Aang

• Like 8
13 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

Do you mean like a full chakra meditation? I've thought about that for each Saturday (if that's what you mean).

Yes, exactly!  Or a body flow, or threading...  I saw you mentioned chakra healing meditation, but I thought you meant individual chakras.

• Like 1

Week 0 Day 3 (Tuesday):

f4d618b903984470e6126922bbb1ac06.gif

• Eggs and salsa for breakfast
  • Took the dogs for an early morning barefoot walk; while outside, I did some "tai-chi" stretches and squatted low to feel the earth.
  • Walked across campus in the early morning sunshine; looked for yellow objects in nature (spotted some dandelion and sorrel, both of which I picked some and snacked on as I walked).
  • Lunch: cabbage, ground beef, onion, tomato and rice.

2AVwCuZ.gif

• Listened to a brief chakra balancing meditation.
  • Made "bulletproof" green tea with coconut oil and grass-fed butter.
  • Sat silently alone in my office before anyone else arrived.
  • Brief WHM breathing session (about 5 minutes).
  • Helped my mentor by cleaning out his car; also helped his wife as a she was trying to put some books on a shelf and they fell and she also nearly fell. My mentor had to help her back to her chair while I picked up the books.
  • Dinner: chicken and noodles
  • Made a final cup of green tea with ACV and honey.

61cb3191bfdaef9da69b33c0a846825d.jpg

• Like 5

I hope I'm not asking a too personal question, if I am then just don't answer. No worries basically.

I've curious about your relationship with your mentor. You seem to be there helping a lot. The only time I've seen those kinds of things are in martial arts movies. Otherwise when I hear of mentors it is more in the context of just being taught something by someone, following their principles for how they do their work and such. Have I just missed that the US have your kind of mentor relationships (aka giving a lot of help)? Also can I ask what you are learning from him? (Although maybe I've completely misunderstood what you mean with mentor.)

And if anyone is wondering: yes, I am a very curious person. :3 Meow.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Dagger said:

I hope I'm not asking a too personal question, if I am then just don't answer. No worries basically.

It's a very fair question, actually. My mentor is a retired school administrator (principal), and he was a teacher before that. I am also a teacher with the eventual plan to become a school administrator. So in addition to helping him around his house because he is elderly, we talk a lot about school-related stuff, how to handle situations that are unique to education, and we share stories of our journeys as teachers.

2 hours ago, Dagger said:

The only time I've seen those kinds of things are in martial arts movies.

The funny thing about this comparison is that while cleaning his car yesterday, I heard the "wax on, wax off" mantra from the Karate Kid in my head.

eTWHeaX.gif

While my mentor is not teaching me martial arts, he is teaching me humility. In addition to being a retired teacher/school administrator, my mentor is also a housing contractor (which is a fancy way of saying he builds houses). So he had a lot of experience with both academic and labor work. My work life has been a little more academic and a little less labor. So by "getting my hands dirty" I am learning humility (and getting a pretty great workout in the process).

I hope that eased your curiosity. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I'd be happy to answer them. :)

• Like 8
43 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

I hope that eased your curiosity. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I'd be happy to answer them. :)

My curiosity is slaked for the moment. Thanks! :)

Also it sounds like a fun and productive relationship.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Also it sounds like a fun and productive relationship.

It is. I'm surprised by the amount of joy and laughter when we talk, but only because of the age gap (he's 83, I'm 37). My father was not a very active part of my life, so it's comforting to have a father-figure who is willing to mentor me through my professional and personal struggles.

• Like 6

Forgot to mention that I started reading Beautiful Practice by Frank Forencich. I've read it before (in fact, the author sent me a proof copy), but I feel that its themes are perfect for my goals this challenge. More info below:

515iP9ImaHL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JBQZENC/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

"Today’s world presents us with an unprecedented set of perplexing challenges. Our bodies are suffering, our minds are confused and our spirits are in turmoil. We need knowledge and understanding, but we also need experience, participation and engagement. In other words, we need a practice. Beautiful Practice is a multi-disciplinary guide to the art of living skillfully in the modern world."

• Like 6

Your challenge looks really interesting! Large and sweeping, but also unified, as all your challenges seem to be. The wabi-sabi self article was really great (and definitely something useful for me to read at this moment in time) and thanks for sharing.

The parkour video was cool, too. The ideas behind parkour are interesting to me. I'm really strongly drawn to functional movement, both as an end goal of fitness and a means of getting there. As a child who considered herself unathletic, I hated organized sports of any kind, but I loved camping and hiking and canoe tripping and playing outside. And I was good at those things, and took a lot of satisfaction and self-esteem from those experiences. As an adult that's something I want to reconnect with.

Wishing you good luck on your very fascinating journey :)

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, Severine said:

I hated organized sports of any kind, but I loved camping and hiking and canoe tripping and playing outside.

This pretty much describes my entire young adult life. Glad we're kindred spirits. Thank you for stopping by and for the encouraging words.

• Like 3

Week 0, Day 4 (Wednesday) <--- Anyone besides me ever think about how weird of a word that is to spell?

• Took Minnie (one of my dogs) for an early morning barefoot walk to the river.
  • While next to the river, I did some "tai-chi" (I put that in quotes because I've never had any kind of training) stretches and squatted low to feel the earth.
  • Made some green tea with ACV and honey.

9fc742af799fcbe6dd25b9f21ae7c36f.jpg

• Breakfast: two-egg omelet with spinach and mushrooms, topped with cottage cheese.
  • Some mindful breathing while at my desk at work.
  • Walked across campus several times, looking for yellow in nature (dandelion flowers, wood sorrel, oak flowers, the sun).
  • Drank about 40 oz. of water.
  • Lunch: barbecue chicken and cottage cheese (had to finish it off before it expires).
  • Sat in silence in the university library.

1cd0e7a9e9e3c5f6ed5697ca954d08a7.jpg

• Greeted several people on campus while holding doors open for them and while walking across campus.
  • Listened to my daughter, who has cerebellar hypoplasia (which just means her cerebellum is underdeveloped) and mild autism, as she laughed while watching Super Why; this wasn't just a light chuckle but a full rolling laugh combined with some adorable giggling. She is a happy child and smiles a lot but doesn't laugh very often, so this is always a sound that warms my heart.

Av-9z_.gif

• Dinner: spinach bites and sweet potato bites from Aldi (these are typically for kids, but wow they were yummy).
  • Watched the sunset while standing barefoot in my back yard.

640px-Sozin's_Comet_Slider.png

This is totally my back yard. :P

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Wolfen said:

(Wednesday) <--- Anyone besides me ever think about how weird of a word that is to spell?

As the resident poking fun at English person, the answer is yes, yes, yes. In my head when I need to spell it, I say it in a specific way to remember how to spell it. Well, not so much anymore, but for a while.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Dagger said:

As the resident poking fun at English person, the answer is yes, yes, yes. In my head when I need to spell it, I say it in a specific way to remember how to spell it. Well, not so much anymore, but for a while.

Haha! I have seen people (not me, of course, *cough, cough*) all like "Wwwehhhhdddnnnehhhhsssdddaaayyy" as they're writing it.

• Like 4