3 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Haha! I have seen people (not me, of course, *cough, cough*) all like "Wwwehhhhdddnnnehhhhsssdddaaayyy" as they're writing it.

That might be a close approximation to what I did, except I could do it silently and didn't quite need that much time to write is so nooooo neeeed tooo dooo iiiit liiike thiiiis. :P

• Like 3

Apologies for the radio silence lately. Last night I said goodbye for now to my friend who died last week after choking on his food and being without oxygen for too long. He was 22, engaged to be married, and had a baby boy. The funeral was wonderful. They did an "open mic" session in which anyone who wanted to share stories about Jacob could come forward and share. I sat through four people before I had the courage to step up. Everyone told mostly funny stories, and there was just as much laughter as there was crying. There is a YouCaring fundraiser to help the family pay for medical expenses: https://www.youcaring.com/jacobronk-803013.

crying-zuko.gif

Behind on updates, so here are the highlights of the past two days (Thursday and Friday).

• Took the dogs for a barefoot walk in the early morning rain. For two days in a row it has rained in the morning and stopped by late morning. This makes for a very peaceful and "cleansing" walk. I focus on my feet touching the ground, the cool sting of rain on my skin, and the whisper of the drops falling on the grass and in the trees.
  • Breakfast: coffee with grass-fed butter and coconut oil
  • Sat alone in silence in my office before anyone else arrived (I always get to work early).
  • Opened the windows at my office and watched the sun rise.

tumblr_m63a4lmsrv1ry1sxno1_r1_500.gif

• Smiled and greeted some people while walking across campus; held doors open if I was entering/exiting and someone needed to go through.
  • Focused on the color green while walking across campus: the leaves on the variety of trees and the soft grass.
  • Lunch: soup both days (Thursday: minestrone with kale, chickpeas, carrots, tomatoes, and zucchini. Friday: organic tomato basil)
  • Helped my mentor both days: Thursday I swept out his garage, fed/watered the chickens and collected eggs from the coop. He has a new duck, and she is laying. So I was able to collect one duck egg and 6 chicken eggs. Friday I mowed grass for him. I love mowing grass because for me it is very meditative.

tumblr_m72h2og9zx1rxevt4o1_500.gif

• Dinner: Thursday we had hamburgers and I got creative; cooked the duck egg and put it on top of my burger, along with salsa and spinach. Friday was spaghetti-O's with meatballs (kid's choice). Also had some food at the funeral: ham and cheese sandwiches, cauliflower, broccoli, dip, chips and salsa.
  • After the funeral I relaxed on the couch with my wife and watched The Amazing Race; I was a little more snuggly than usual, but she did not complain.

5fdb0c8b5c3618ab1bfa671e2c552e67--avatar

• Like 5

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's sudden passing. That's heartbreaking at his age and with a family...I'm glad the funeral was a healing experience (by the sounds of it). It's amazing when we think about how fragile life can be. Something to ponder today. I will try to be grateful just to exist. 

Thank you for sharing and I hope you find peace with his passing, and enjoy the memories.

• Like 2

"Natural movement is a spiritual expression of the body and a physical expression of spirit." -- Erwan Lecorre

These videos are more than a few years old but no less powerful and inspiring. In fact, I'm going outside right after I post this.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Severine said:

I'm glad the funeral was a healing experience (by the sounds of it).

I want to +1 this. I find it hard to express compassion and empathy in text, which is why I always have trouble saying I'm sorry this happened to you on forums (or facebook; okay, so it isn't that easy in real life either, but at least I also have expressions and gestures and such).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Wolfen said:

"Natural movement is a spiritual expression of the body and a physical expression of spirit." -- Erwan Lecorre

These videos are more than a few years old but no less powerful and inspiring. In fact, I'm going outside right after I post this.

Looks very, very nice. #LifeGoals

• Like 2

Week 0 Day 7 (Saturday):

c07b98667591aa80514ccae3767fe2c4.gif       It's time to rise. I'm tired of feeling down.

• Woke up before my alarm (around sunrise) and took the dog for a barefoot walk to the river; managed to strip down and take a quick dip in the river while the soft rain whispered on the surface of the water.
  • Swam on my back, watched the clouds float by and felt the rain on my face.
  • Made some black tea with ACV, honey, and lavender.

giphy.gif

• Breakfast: turkey organs (my wife was roasting a turkey, and she removed the neck and organs and put them in a pot for me).
  • Made soup for next week: turkey broth, tomatoes, diced onion, turnip greens, corn, peas, carrots, jalapeno peppers, and some spices.
  • Took another barefoot walk in the pouring rain and splashed in puddles, laughing like a child.
  • Listened to a meditation, Chakra Healing "On The Go," which is basically a 10 minute sound healing meditation with binaural beats and chimes. I felt so relaxed afterwards; the best way to describe it is I felt "lighter."

tumblr_inline_mihd3uCtZD1qz4rgp.gif <----- So many of you make me feel like this. And for that, I thank you.

• Lunch: turkey
  • Another late evening barefoot walk after the rain had stopped. This time I focused on the feeling of my bare feet in the marshy grass.
  • Watched the sunset; even though clouds were blocking the sun, there was enough clearing at the top that some of the clouds looked as if they were on fire: bright hues of orange, red, and yellow contrasted against some gray clouds and a blue sky.

giphy.gif     Today was a really good day.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Listened to a meditation, Chakra Healing "On The Go," which is basically a 10 minute sound healing meditation with binaural beats and chimes. I felt so relaxed afterwards; the best way to describe it is I felt "lighter."

You ever been to a Tibetan bowl meditation? Those bowls make sound, but mostly it is the vibrations that just calm stuff and makes you feel lighter. So although I haven't tried the meditation you linked, I think I kinda understand what you felt. :)

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Dagger said:

You ever been to a Tibetan bowl meditation? Those bowls make sound, but mostly it is the vibrations that just calm stuff and makes you feel lighter. So although I haven't tried the meditation you linked, I think I kinda understand what you felt. :)

I've never been to an official Tibetan bowl meditation, but I did a Yoga session and at the end of it, while we were in corpse pose, the instructor had a Tibetan bowl and rang it while we rested. But I have listened to a lot of guided meditations that use Tibetan bowls.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Wolfen said:

I've never been to an official Tibetan bowl meditation, but I did a Yoga session and at the end of it, while we were in corpse pose, the instructor had a Tibetan bowl and rang it while we rested. But I have listened to a lot of guided meditations that use Tibetan bowls.

I've done it a few times, and if you ever get the chance, jump on it. One I remember especially, we got to wear a bowl on our head (turned upside down so we were inside the bowl) and then it vibrated around my head and face and when playing other bowls close by the vibrations worked together. This was during a retreat and we'd just done something emotionally heavy and that meditation just cleared it all out. Super powerful.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, fleaball said:

I thought I was already following you but I was wrong. Here now though. All of this is super interesting. 

I'm so sorry about your friend. <3

I'm glad you're here. I just logged on and saw I had 29 notifications. LOL. Thanks for all the likes and thanks for following. 

tumblr_lg2eu4g7tT1qdeoxc.png

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Dagger said:

Tibetan bowls are the beeeeeeeeeeeeeeest!  I went a massage school that started the day with dinging a bowl to settle us in.  (The school was run by hippies - great education thought)  You're right - there's something about the *ding* that alter reality!

• Like 4

Week 1, Day 1 (Sunday):

• Woke up early (for a Sunday) and took Minnie for a barefoot walk to the riverbank; soft early morning rain again but no swim because the water was too muddy.
  • Made some black tea with ACV and honey.
  • Sat in a deep squat and watched the river while listening to nearby sounds (birds, mostly, but also the whisper of rain).
  • Breakfast: two eggs sunny-side-up on a bed of red potatoes, green peppers, spinach, squash, and zucchini and some seasonings.
  • Left the kids at home with my oldest daughter and took a trip to Aldi with my wife for some groceries. Paid attention to the variety of flavors, colors, and textures throughout the store, being especially attentive to the impacts of those elements on the mind.
  • Made some afternoon green tea with ACV, ginger, and honey.
  • Needed a literal "cleansing" so I finished up all of the dishes and thoroughly cleaned the kitchen; this included the very Zen-like act of using a broom. :) Also helped my wife finish laundry (in a house with 6 people, laundry can get overwhelming quickly).
  • Lunch: pepperoni and cheese pizza (not the healthiest choice, but Aldi had a delicious "take-and-bake" pizza that was perfect for the entire family).

grrrrrrrrr_gp_5285873.jpg

• Carried bags of garbage to the dumpsters; when I do this I like to hold my elbows against my sides and my forearms parallel and occasionally "curl" the bags up towards my chest. Sometimes I carry the bags straight out in front of me, arms extended, or out to the sides in my own (very amatuer) version of the monk water-bucket carry.

monkwater.jpg

• Took another barefoot walk to the riverbank with both dogs, walking the entire "circle" under the more heavily treed area; looked up at the tops of the trees and saw/heard two pileated woodpeckers, one chasing the other from tree to tree.
  • Stood silently by the river, listening again to the sigh of the wind and the quiet sounds of the water.
  • Dinner: egg noodles with turkey, gravy, peas and carrots.

tumblr_olywdvYwDN1w6or7jo1_400.jpg

• Took a late evening barefoot walk alone up to the stream that runs off the mountain near my house; braved a brief barefoot hike and followed the stream about halfway up the mountain, listening to the gentle trickle of the stream. After a heavier rain, this stream becomes a roaring rush of nearly clear water. I think I've mentioned it before in my past challenge Winter is Coming.
  • Made another cup of green tea with ACV, ginger, and honey.

tumblr_nifoh3iutD1sj8p7do2_500.gif

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Dagger said:

Very relevant for me right now. This kind of song (topic, lyrics, etc.) would not normally make me cry, but right now it does.

Thanks.

I'm so sorry I made you cry (unless that's what you needed). If it makes you feel any better the first time I heard this song it made me cry, as well. I was both comforted and convicted by it. I hope it helped you and not hurt you. :(

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Wolfen said:

I'm so sorry I made you cry (unless that's what you needed). If it makes you feel any better the first time I heard this song it made me cry, as well. I was both comforted and convicted by it. I hope it helped you and not hurt you. :(

You describe the feeling well, both feeling comforted and convicted. And no it hurt in that way of longing for some peace. I know when I need to have everything done, and if I get everything out of the way I can fully relax, however it isn't until Saturday next week (May 6), so it feels far off.

Right now, I'm using this song as the song of the day. Now I am repeating it again and again and it is comforting and feels good.

• Like 2