Wolfen Strengthens His Chakras

4 hours ago, Dagger said:

Now I am repeating it again and again and it is comforting and feels good.

I am so glad to hear this. :tears_of_joy:

• Like 2

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Week 1 Day Two (Monday):

• Took the dog outside barefoot in the light drizzle; squatted low to the ground and peered up at the stars.
  • Made some green tea with ACV, ginger, and honey.

0708614ce3492e248c5c95185a8ede50.gif

• Helped my wife get the kids ready for school, even though I took the day off from work and could have slept in.
  • Breakfast: spinach and feta sausages
  • Sat quietly alone in my living room and enjoyed the silence.
  • Took the dogs for a barefoot walk around the circle to the river, deliberately walking through marshy puddles and feeling the cool water on my bare feet.

101577ff78b5c5a040311409a4db2bdf.jpg

• Had to take my daughter to the orthodontist because she lost her top retainer; on the way there I focused on my breathing and stayed mindful of the road and traffic: no music and no technology.
  • When I got home, I rested by sitting in my room and listening to the chakra binaural sounds meditation.
  • Lunch: leftover egg noodles with turkey, carrots and peas.
  • Did some standing leg lifts (50 right and 50 left), being mindful of my posture and returning my feet to the "ground" after each move.

tenor.gif

• Sang Ed Sheeran's "Galway Girl" as well as "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage" by Panic! at the Disco with enthusiasm and gusto (I really like that word).
  • Watched the sunset from my back yard.
  • Made some peppermint tea with ACV, ginger, and honey.
  • Did some deep breathing before bedtime.

26fd0fee9c81044453bb5ed312b1d6da.jpg

• Like 5

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

30 minutes ago, Leimanu said:

I read in there that you drove around without music.  Woah.  Challenge Level 95 there!

Thank you! Not easy for me because I love music, but I'm starting to appreciate the quiet when I drive (unless I'm talking to whomever is a passenger, of course).

• Like 4

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Wolfen said:

"The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage" by Panic! at the Disco

I'm a fan of that album. I also have another album with them, but since then I haven't kept up. I'm terrible about keeping up with music.

Listening to music is like a hobby I don't pay attention to. As long as I have music I like (which I do), I don't seek out new really. I go to concerts rarely. And it is just a very low key activity I do. Although I do check out and buy new music from time to time.

Now my favorite authors on the other hand, I keep close attention to and almost always get their new books close to release date. Different levels of attention. ^____^

Also that silent car thing... Impressive. I've actually noticed I seem to be able to keep more of my attention on traffic when I listen to music and sing along than when I don't. Of course, I have no idea if my perception is right.

• Like 3

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

2 hours ago, Dagger said:

I've actually noticed I seem to be able to keep more of my attention on traffic when I listen to music and sing along than when I don't.

It varies. I'm usually good at knowing when I need a "distraction" like music in order to be focused (similar to needing an object in your hand to fidget with to control nervous energy) and when I just need silence. And its often in nice weather when I can roll the windows down and just listen to the world outside my car. :)

• Like 4

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Week 1 Day 3 (Tuesday):

• Slept in because I needed it; after my alarm went off I reset it, snuggled close to my wife and went back to sleep.
  • Made green tea with ginger, ACV, and honey.
  • Breakfast: beef and cheese chimichanga

18343879526_35dc161933.jpg

• Took a long walk in the light rain across campus while looking for color contrasts in nature: the stark red of a cardinal, bold purple of flowers on a shrub, the orange and blue colors of an Eastern bluebird, yellow dandelion flowers in a sea of green, the tiny purple flowers of the creeping charlie (which I also picked and snacked on).
  • Did 50 elevated crunches, breathing mindfully during the exercise.

tumblr_m69qb0yxfe1qlcs90o1_500.gif

• Opened doors for and smiled and greeted some people on campus.
  • Sat alone quietly in the library and listened to a music meditation called Pictograph Cave as part of my PVP challenge against the Doodlies.
  • Lunch: tomato soup with barley, carrots, red peppers, and onion.

232.gif

• Took the dogs and my youngest daughters (Arabella and Gracelynn) for a quick barefoot walk to the river (not the full circle this time, just down to the river); it felt good to have the warm sun on my skin while we walked through the remaining marshy puddles in the field and rolled down the hill. Arabella has sensory processing disorder, so watching her walk barefoot calmly and comfortably and laugh as much as she did is a really powerful experience.
  • Watched the sunset from my back porch; breathed deeply to smell the evening air.
  • Dinner: leftover pizza
  • Made tea with freshly-picked peppermint and creeping charlie, ACV, honey, and ginger.

tumblr_m7hmq2dVkx1qbdjeho1_500.gif

• Like 6

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Severine said:

Your daughters have cool names!

Thank you. My oldest two are Aryanna and Bianca. :)

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Took a long walk in the light rain across campus while looking for color contrasts in nature: the stark red of a cardinal, bold purple of flowers on a shrub, the orange and blue colors of an Eastern bluebird, yellow dandelion flowers in a sea of green, the tiny purple flowers of the creeping charlie (which I also picked and snacked on).

I love this exercise. Years ago I read The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield) and one part in particular stood out to me. I reread it years later and it didn't resonate the same with me which I found very interesting. I don't remember what chapter or even the specific details. But I remember that there was a bird, a blackbird I think, and he was drawing attention to elements in nature and something about that was very profound. I remember that I would go to work and park  my car and I would look for a bird (there was almost always one) and just acknowledge him and the elements of nature that were present even in the city. I haven't thought about that in years. It's funny what reminds you of old habits and memories. The first time I read that book I was sure it was going to change my life and that I would forever be more in tune. Turns out that didn't happen. But, I couldn't have known then where my life would take me. Now I'm here as part of the Rebellion and loving the growth I'm seeing, it's almost the same thing, except with a new family of mutants, misfits and rebels!

• Like 4

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

9 hours ago, J3NN said:

I love this exercise.

Thank you! That's an awesome comparison. I'm glad it resonated with you. For me, this is the essence of mindfulness, paying close attention to where we are, who we are, what we see, hear, smell, taste, feel, just being fully alive to the moment and enjoying it the best we can. Thanks for stopping by. :)

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Week 1, Day 4 (Wednesday):

This day was really great but with some bad news...

• Took a short barefoot walk with Minnie and squatted low to the ground while looking up at the early morning stars.
  • Made green tea with ACV, honey and ginger.
  • Breakfast: oatmeal with barley and quinoa drizzled with a little honey and a splash of milk.
  • Completed 50 reverse lunges (25 for each leg) in my office next to my desk; my legs felt like jelly the rest of the day and my thighs were on fire.
  • Drank about 50 oz. of water.
  • Walked across campus several times today because it was perfect weather. Looked for bright contrast of light and shadow, especially within and around the trees.
  • Sat in silence on the front porch of East Hall; then I listened mindfully to "Eden" by Eternell as part of my challenge against the Doodlies.
  • Smiled and greeted quite a few people on campus, since it was a perfect day and a lot of students were outside.
  • A few students had a tiny kitten running around in the field and I sat with it in my lap for a few minutes; when I got up to leave, it tried to follow me and meowed after me.

762a38ed52a4c4cc769f252c60d2cfd3.jpg

• Watched a squirrel crawl across the ledge of the art building and thought about habitat and how man-made habitat has blended (sometimes effectively, sometimes not so much) with natural habitat.
  • Got word in the late afternoon that via doctor's request my family has called in Hospice for my grandfather; his COPD is getting worse. There is a back story to my grandfather and me, but I'll give you the short version. My parents divorced when I was young, and my grandpa quickly stepped in and became the father figure I needed. He is my single-greatest influence and THE most important man in my life. It will be hard to let him go.
  • Had to take two of my daughters into South Charleston; after dropping them off, I drove to Healthy Life Market. The sights and scents of this place just drop my stress levels waaaaaaay down: essential oils, diffusers, herbs, teas, lotions, and all sorts of foods designed to help with your health.
  • Bought and savored a bottle of Buchi brand kombucha; I bought "Water," which has American grown Elderberries & Schizandra Berries combined with coconut water, blueberries and watermelon. It was incredible.

bf9df28f54b007872d6c3e1538be6374.jpg

• Drove to the Adena burial mound located in South Charleston and walked to the top, reflecting on the past lives of those who touched this place centuries ago and about my own ancestry; what would they think of our lives now? My grandfather has been impacted by his Cherokee ancestry both practically (red skin) and personally (family man, true to his loved ones, deep appreciation for nature and for the Creator).

criel_mound.jpg

• Drove to the Kanawha River, took off my shoes, and waded out to just below my knees; this isn't really a safe river for swimming (too much industry), but it felt great to stand there with my eyes closed, breathe deeply, and just feel the cool water on my legs.
  • Since one of my daughters was at a picnic at Little Creek Park, I decided to drive over early and take a quick hike. Little Creek Park is the perfect example of an inner-city park done well. Even though it has ball fields, shelters, disc golf, and a soapbox derby track, its hiking trails take you deep enough into the woods that it's easy to forget that you are less than a mile from a mostly suburban city with heavy traffic and lots and lots of houses. I was surrounded by birdsong, leaves rustling, and the trickle of a stream along the trail.

Little-Creek-Park-Satelite-map.jpg

• Picked and snacked on some sorrel as well as some creeping charlie flowers.
  • Had some green tea with grapefruit and honey.

So, other than the news about my grandfather, it was a great day.

• Like 6

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

4fc2cedb16843b1def31d05de362beea.jpg

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Week 1, Day 5 (Thursday):

tumblr_ma2veovP8e1rvhrye.gif

• Took the dogs for a short barefoot walk; did some "tai-chi" exercises and squatted low to the ground while looking up at the early morning stars. This time of year, you can see the Big Dipper early in the morning.
  • Breakfast: oatmeal with quinoa and barley, drizzled with a bit of honey.
  • Sat quietly alone in my office in the dim morning light.
  • Did 10 clapping pushups next to my desk to get my day started.

tumblr_m28pw2Mqo11rqokzso1_500.png

• Managed a brief outside workout, sprinting in minimalist shoes, vaults over benches, dips, and used a low (just above waist height) brick wall for muscle-ups, crawls, and various other body-weight exercises.
  • Walked across campus, smiling and greeting people, focusing on the feel of my feet and legs while walking.
  • Today was the health/fitness expo: sampled some Young Living essential oils, got a mid-back and shoulder massage, climbed a rock wall, shot a bow, and learned a lot about heart health, cancer research, and how to cook healthy on the cheap.
  • Late lunch/early dinner: leftover soup with turkey broth, diced tomato, corn, peas, carrots, onion, turnip greens, sausage with feta cheese and spinach, and spices.

sokka-gif.gif

• Made some tea with sorrel, dandelion, ACV, honey and ginger.
  • Listened to and sang "Simple Man" (the Shinedown version) as part of my challenge against the Doodlies. I freaking love that song, and I can karaoke the $#!+ out of it. :)
  • Worked with my mentor, hauling stones from his dirt pile and tossing them over the hill to the riverbank (upper-body workout, yeah!).
  • Mowed my yard, breathing deeply and focusing on that crisp smell of freshly cut grass.

fire8-1508.jpg

• Watched the sunset while standing barefoot in my backyard.

BONUS POINTS: Read the first chapter of Beautiful Practice by Frank Forencich.

• Like 5

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Wow, you got a lot done. Good job!

3 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Watched the sunset while standing barefoot in my backyard.

Loved this especially, sounds so nice.

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

Wow, you got a lot done. Good job!

Loved this especially, sounds so nice.

Thank you! The catch is that most of the time when I'm in my yard I am barefoot. ;)

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Read the first chapter of Beautiful Practice by Frank Forencich.

What do you think?  I picked it up because I saw it in your challenge -- you're kind of my NF Sensei

• Like 2

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

1 hour ago, Mr.Six said:

What do you think?  I picked it up because I saw it in your challenge -- you're kind of my NF Sensei

Wow. Thank you. I don't know whether to feel honored or terrified. :)

It's really good. I've read it before, and I'm a big fan of Frank Forencich. The set-up and theme are really interesting. He very much embraces the "life as a dojo" metaphor and teaches a lot of great lessons on embracing life (especially physically). If you're not familiar with Frank's idea of the "long body" you should look that up. He touches on that, as well.

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Wolfen said:

It's really good. I've read it before, and I'm a big fan of Frank Forencich. The set-up and theme are really interesting. He very much embraces the "life as a dojo" metaphor and teaches a lot of great lessons on embracing life (especially physically). If you're not familiar with Frank's idea of the "long body" you should look that up. He touches on that, as well.

I'm only about 50 pages in, but the book is definitely resonating with me right now.  I will have a look at his 'long body' concept too.

1 hour ago, Wolfen said:

I don't know whether to feel honored or terrified.

Well, I suppose honored, unless you are harboring an inner sith lord I am unaware of...

• Like 1

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. :( I hope you have time to say goodbye and make peace with it. 

Simple Man is one of my favorite songs. I love the original but the Shinedown one is good too. 

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

2 hours ago, Mr.Six said:

Well, I suppose honored, unless you are harboring an inner sith lord I am unaware of...

I more meant that I'm terrified that someone trusts my judgement enough to call me their sensei. ;) Just kidding. I am honored. Thank you.

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, fleaball said:

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. :( I hope you have time to say goodbye and make peace with it. 

Simple Man is one of my favorite songs. I love the original but the Shinedown one is good too. 

Thank you. We actually spent some time with him this evening. As of right now he is his usual self with the exception of some chest congestion that he just can't cough up. But we talked, watched a bit of East of Eden on TCM, and he worked a word search puzzle while the girls played in the back room.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Week 1, Day 6 (Friday):

• Took Minnie outside and did some movements that resembled very amateur tai-chi mixed with animal flow; finished with deep squat and breathing while looking up at the early morning stars.
  • Breakfast: coffee with grass-fed butter
  • Parked at the middle of campus so that I could walk across campus to my office; I anticipated a busy day and worried I might not get out of the office (I was mostly right, btw).

980x.jpg 

• A colleague and I had to travel to the board office and meet with our boss to finalize our evaluations. I offered to drive and even picked her up right next to the building where our office is located. She wanted to give me gas money, but I declined. After our meeting, she bought me lunch instead.
  • My colleague is older than my mother, but it was nice to chat with her about her youth and learn that while we are generations apart, both of us came from families who struggled financially but managed to make it work. She told me I have a lot in common with her own children who are only a little older than me.

980x.jpg

• Lunch: a Wendy's double-stack burger with spring mix, onion, pickle, tomato, mustard and ketchup.
  • Also ordered a cup of Honest tropical green tea (green tea, mango, pineapple, and light sugar).
  • At work I snacked on some trail mix with cashews, pecans, almonds, cranberries, pineapple, coconut chips, and beef jerky.
  • Held a navasana (boat) pose for 60 seconds (although I think my boat looked like it was sinking).

cat-yoga.gif 

• Did not get a chance to walk across campus today, but we opened the blinds and windows in the office to enjoy the warm spring air and sunshine.
  • Worked with my mentor today: used the leaf blower to blow off his front and back porches, as well as the garage and driveway.
  • Took Arabella (5) to her gymnastics class; I rarely get to do this since I usually work Friday evenings at the movie theater. However, today my wife had class and I got to take Arabella to gymnastics. She does really well on the balance beam and loves doing backbends and attempting handstands and cartwheels (which she can almost do perfectly).
  • After gymnastics, I took the little ones, Arabella and Gracelynn (6) and Bianca (13) to my grandpa's. They are all aware of the news (although the little ones don't quite understand), so we will probably be visiting him more often. He is still his usual self, other than the congestion in his lungs that won't go away, and he is back on oxygen. But as soon as we opened the door, he was the first to say "Hello!" I wish I could demonstrate how he says this in typed words, but I can't. He kind of draws the word out and here's a stress and rise in pitch just before the "L" sound that just can't be shown in text. You'd have to hear it to love it like I do. He's said it that way for as long as I've known him (which is my entire life).

iroh-quotes-09.jpg

• Made some tea from freshly-picked peppermint with ACV, honey, and ginger.
  • Took a hot bath because I needed to soak.
  • Listened to "Broken Photosynthesis" by Kyle Preston as part of my mindful music challenge against the Doodlies.
  • Like 5

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler