Last challenge, @Tanktimus the Encourager and @fleaball had an interesting discussion about rewiring your brain by picking an archetype that you want to emulate. It wasn't immediately obvious to me what kind of archetype I would pick if I followed the process, so I thought about it for a while and eventually realized that all of the archetypes I thought of had one thing in common: they were guardians.  

And when I had that realization, a lot of other things clicked into place:

• I scored "guardian" on the reebok be more human test a while back (I think)
  • I keep coming back to the mantra "courage, honor, self restraint"
  • I ALMOST NEVER get angry about anything and avoid conflict, except if someone is mean to my little sister or something 

So it works. The qualities of a guardian I admire and want to emulate include:

• A relentless, headstrong commitment to hard work and self improvement - to the point of stubborn refusal to compromise on any goal
  • Faith that if they trust the process and do the work they will gain the skills they need
  • Genuinely interested in and attentive to other people (as long as they're not trying to enter a forbidden realm)
  • In their developmental years, they learn & grow alongside peers on the same journey, engaging actively in their training   
  • As they gain skill, they gladly guide & nurture others and think nothing of it 
  • Takes delight in the simple things in life. A happy day is just talking and being heard, and confirming our present happiness. 
  • Driven by the urge to help others
  • Peaceful/zen except when defending others or facing obstacles 
  • Completely willing to fight with people when provoked
  • Loyal to their people
  • Honest
  • Brave despite fears. Always. 
  • Focused outward - interested in other people and events around them and being in the world as their primary way of interacting with the world 
  • Physically balanced between strength/agility/endurance

Examples of guardians:

• Pretty much every Tamora Pierce heroine ever, but especially Alanna from The Lioness Quartet and Kel from The Protector of the Small
  • Dragons. Dragons protecting princesses and elder/mother dragons looking after their tribe/family 
  • The leader/seer/healer of a tribe who makes decisions based on how to protect their people
  • Keepers of lore/wisdom/secrets/hidden places who do their jobs at all costs 
  • Monsters guarding the entrances to hidden realms
  • Knights
  • Priestesses 
  • Gargoyles?

Background

Every challenge this year, I am focusing on just one new habit. There are 10 challenges in the year, so by the end of the year I'll have TEN NEW HEALTHY HABITS. 

Challenge 1: Walk every day and/or aim for 16 miles per week

Challenge 2: Morning routines

Challenge 3: Eat a smoothie for breakfast and a salad for lunch every day

Also, my theme for this year is honesty. That doesn't just mean honest in the sense of not lying. It means facing into things when I'm feeling the urge to withdraw because I'm self-conscious. It means being true to myself even when I want to act differently because I'm afraid people won't like me. It means showing up and doing the work even though I want to procrastinate or avoid it because something stresses me out. It means honestly making the effort. It means listening to my body and listening to my heart. It means feeling my feelings.

I feel like 70% of my anxiety in life comes from situations in which I'm not being fully honest. And if I can learn to embrace that honesty, I can drastically improve my life. @Ensi made a comment a while back about how she just needs to be honest and brave, and I still think about that. Courage, honor, self restraint. 

Challenge Goal

So in general this challenge is about getting into the habit of acting like a guardian. But obviously I need something more specific than that to work towards. So, two things:

1. Start every morning with a mantra/affirmation/whatever that I am a guardian, to help set the tone for the day 

2. Work. I started working from home full time in April, and I've been struggling with switching to and from work mode. I'm also working on a very stressful project at the moment that has me really nervous and self-conscious. So, like a guardian, I want to face into the work. I want to relentlessly and uncompromisingly work hard every work day. I want to stop delaying the hardest things for last because of stress. I want to be driven by how I can help other people with my work. Honesty. Courage, honor, self restraint. And so on. 

Other Things

So, they aren't goals, but I'll also talk about a million other fitness/health things that I work on, including:

• Aikido
  • Running
  • GMB Elements program
  • Bodyweight strength workouts
  • OCRs
  • Yoga
  • Food habits - eating primalish 
  • Reading 
  • Mediation
  • Spending challenges 
  • Previous challenge habits: walking, morning routines, smoothie/salads 

Icebreaker

I read a book a while back about a family that gave up sugar, including honey, fruit juice, and artificial sweeteners, for an entire year. Once per month, they would have a dessert that contained sugar. But that's it. Each family member could also pick a single thing with sugar in it to keep for the year. They chose things like wine, soda, and jelly. 

So I'm curious. If you had to do a challenge where you could only eat one thing with sugar for a WHOLE YEAR, what would you pick? I'm personally torn between ketchup and tea lattes.  

• Like 16

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Oh I like this idea! I really want to see how this evolves and how you evolve with your archetype!

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Heyo!!! I think maybe we're maybe running the warrior dash together in May in NY? 

15 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

So I'm curious. If you had to do a challenge where you could only eat one thing with sugar for a WHOLE YEAR, what would you pick? I'm personally torn between ketchup and tea lattes.  

Probs wine :D or donuts. Wine donuts?

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Heyo!!! I think maybe we're maybe running the warrior dash together in May 

I heard that rumor!! Looking forward to it!

• Like 2

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

24 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Interesting premise. I read an article recently about people being either sheep, wolves, or sheepdogs and decided I was a sheepdog. It'll be interesting to watch where you go with this.

Pop-Tarts.

You are like the champion of first posts this challenge. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

gummy bears :P, if I had to pick

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Love the theme :)

I've been going without artificial sugar again and I think I'd choose bread. There's more sugar than salt in some breads. But it was really interesting to think about this, there's no typical sweet stuff I can think off that I couldn't go without. Sweet :D

• Like 2

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

24 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

I heard that rumor!! Looking forward to it!

YAYYYY!!! It's my first time... :redface-new:

48 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Pop-Tarts.

22 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

gummy bears 

OH no! Ummm. can I change mine? Gummy bear pop tart wine donuts??

C1No4cCi2JsQOVAmsimt7CQ7dew=.gif 

• Like 4

FLEA SMASH ICE! Is it cheating to say chocolate since it comes in various forms? I can't eat it all day every day, but it's nice to add it to things for flavor once in a while. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Yay, a new challenge! Following :) The archetype thing sounds interesting... Do you have any more resources you used? Or did you come up with the guardian qualities yourself? Also, I took the Reebok test, and got Brain Buff :D

And a sugary thing I wouldn't give up? Haha. Easy: chocolate!

• Like 1

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

Examples of guardians:

• Pretty much every Tamora Pierce heroine ever, but especially Alanna from The Lioness Quartet and Kel from The Protector of the Small
  • Dragons. Dragons protecting princesses and elder/mother dragons looking after their tribe/family 
  • The leader/seer/healer of a tribe who makes decisions based on how to protect their people
  • Keepers of lore/wisdom/secrets/hidden places who do their jobs at all costs 
  • Monsters guarding the entrances to hidden realms
  • Knights
  • Priestesses 
  • Gargoyles?

Not going to lie, my need to follow your topic multiplied by 100 from your mention of Tamora Pierce's Alanna and Kel. I've been feeling the need to go back and read those books lately - Kel's story especially inspires me to go train harder. It's always nice to find another fan of the author :)

Icebreaker

I read a book a while back about a family that gave up sugar, including honey, fruit juice, and artificial sweeteners, for an entire year. Once per month, they would have a dessert that contained sugar. But that's it. Each family member could also pick a single thing with sugar in it to keep for the year. They chose things like wine, soda, and jelly. 

Hmmm this one is tough. And are we talking added sweeteners? Or do fruits high in sugars naturally also get the axe. Not sure how I would fare without eating apples for a year :P

My quickest response is to say either beer, whisky or dark chocolate. If I had to choose between the 3.... I'm not sure which one I would pick. Of the 3 dark chocolate is probably the "better" option for me :P

• Like 1

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

40 minutes ago, Ensi said:

Yay, a new challenge! Following :) The archetype thing sounds interesting... Do you have any more resources you used? Or did you come up with the guardian qualities yourself? Also, I took the Reebok test, and got Brain Buff :D

And a sugary thing I wouldn't give up? Haha. Easy: chocolate!

I just came up with them based on examples I thought of. 

Brain Buff sounds just like you! :)

24 minutes ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Not going to lie, my need to follow your topic multiplied by 100 from your mention of Tamora Pierce's Alanna and Kel. I've been feeling the need to go back and read those books lately - Kel's story especially inspires me to go train harder. It's always nice to find another fan of the author :)

Hmmm this one is tough. And are we talking added sweeteners? Or do fruits high in sugars naturally also get the axe. Not sure how I would fare without eating apples for a year :P

My quickest response is to say either beer, whisky or dark chocolate. If I had to choose between the 3.... I'm not sure which one I would pick. Of the 3 dark chocolate is probably the "better" option for me :P

Yay, Tamora Pierce fans are my favorite people! There are a few of us around the forums. Kel is like the perfect example of qualities I want to emulate. Stubbornly working hard to the point of being a bit ridiculous, even when the odds are unfairly stacked against her. Standing up to bullies. The way she makes friends. Etc.

Fruits are ok, as long as it's the whole fruit! 

13 minutes ago, deftona said:

Cake. Cake is Deffy's weakness. 

Mmmmm Cake. 

Loving the challenge!

Mmmmm. Cake.

• Like 4

Following along. There's a movie coming out this challenge about some famous guardians.

Image result for guardians of the galaxy 2

• Like 5

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Oooh, I like this very much, about being a Guardian. The Mantra in particular, "Courage, Honor, and Self-Restraint" gives me a shiver. Very well-phrased :D

You've got this, NeverThatBored! *Waves pom poms*

My One Sugar would have to be a plain cheesecake, just shy of being frozen, maybe with a tiny touch of chocolate to it. <3

• Like 1

Matthew 25:34-40

9 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I'd pick a new family ;) 

• Like 10

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

13 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

12 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Yay, Tamora Pierce fans are my favorite people! There are a few of us around the forums. Kel is like the perfect example of qualities I want to emulate. Stubbornly working hard to the point of being a bit ridiculous, even when the odds are unfairly stacked against her. Standing up to bullies. The way she makes friends. Etc.

Yeah, there are a few of us! Protector of the Small is my favorite series of hers and I also find Kel very inspiring. Although I'll admit I don't quite want to emulate her all the way, haha. If I had to pick one to emulate, I'd probably be Ally (from Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen; another favorite), so incredibly resourceful, knowledgeable of people, kind, and damn good general/functional fitness. :D

15 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Icebreaker

roy-fares-semlor.jpg

• Like 3

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

It is fascinating what sugar foods people pick. It's really interesting to think about (and then never have to actually do :P). 

• Like 4

Weekend -1 Update:

I FINALLY had a friggin' weekend at home to do what I wanted. So I went hiking on Saturday with my Aikido buddy. It's still amazing to me that I can just text someone and invite them to do something without it being weird, and they'll say yes. We wandered onto an unmarked trail at one point and found a really pretty, sort of abandoned looking brick building in the middle of the woods. We felt like we'd wandered into a video game and guys with guns were going to suddenly appear out of nowhere and start chasing us. After poking around a bit, we realized it was a drug addiction treatment center and hightailed it out of there. It was a cool adventure though. :)

On the way home from that, I stopped at the place where I tried to arrange swimming lessons last time I worked on that. They never got back to me last time, so I thought going in person would be better. The guy in charge wasn't there, so I got his number and now I have to call him to arrange them. So who knows when that will actually happen. 

It was a great weekend for Pokemon Go. I hatched a PORYGON and a TOGEPI, both fairly rare finds and things that I reaaaaally wanted and still needed. 

I also did tons of meal prep:

• Slow cooker ratatouille
  • Carmelized garlic cauliflower
  • Roasted parsnip "fries"
  • Ham
  • Hardboiled eggs

I still need to make chicken ragu, but I'm out of bacon and that's an ingredient, so I have to go pick some up today. I also have some leftover ground meat so I think I'll throw it in an egg bake or some egg muffins. Which will result in probably way more food than I actually need for the week. Ah well.

I'm all set to start challenging today. 

JFmf3dq.jpg

(I don't really do bujo spreads. If I have to turn the page to check something off, I won't do it.)

• Like 10

21 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Totally a bag of lemonheads.  They are my kryptonite, my crack, my weakness.

• Like 1

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Rinna joins the Fellowship to Rivendell      318.24/458

Spoiler

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

21 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

If you had to do a challenge where you could only eat one thing with sugar for a WHOLE YEAR, what would you pick?

Coffee. I need it for "not falling asleep at the wheel" purposes!

Also, following!

• Like 2