• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Wait, are you Swedish??

Japp, det är jag. :) (Yes, I am it. (Direct translation, language is so interesting although I did shift the words around in the correct English order.))

• Like 2

I am totally the protector archetype, too.  Followed closely by some kind of motivational war berserker that's evolved over the years ahaha~  I find I really connect with certain characters in games/books/etc. because of this!

Just one thing, hmm.  I don't eat a lot of sugar as a habit so.... *jeopardy theme*  GUMMY BEARS

[ ps; your thread is as hard to follow as tank's!!  i will do my best~ ]

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

Japp, det är jag. :) (Yes, I am it. (Direct translation, language is so interesting although I did shift the words around in the correct English order.))

Hah that is interesting, I've never thought about that weird language construct. :) Fellow (kind of) Swede here, though I just moved to Finland. Never been a huge of semlor though, I used to eat one a year when it was free at work. :D

• Like 2

Chocolate.  Definitely chocolate.  Dark, with peanut butter preferably. 

6 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

(I don't really do bujo spreads. If I have to turn the page to check something off, I won't do it.)

I feel the same way.  I always make a weekly spread so that my to do list and each day fits on two pages so I can see it all at once.  

• Like 2

Hah that is interesting, I've never thought about that weird language construct. :) Fellow (kind of) Swede here, though I just moved to Finland. Never been a huge of semlor though, I used to eat one a year when it was free at work. :D

Oh, there are a lot of interesting differences between Swedish and English.

Well, I'll be a kind of Swede too in less than two weeks. I'm becoming a nomad so I'll technically have an address in Sweden, but live nowhere specific. ^___^

I love semlor, at least if they've done the almond paste thing to my taste. Otherwise they're just average.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Oh, there are a lot of interesting differences between Swedish and English.

Well, I'll be a kind of Swede too in less than two weeks. I'm becoming a nomad so I'll technically have an address in Sweden, but live nowhere specific. ^___^

It's been such a long time ago since I started using English as a main language I don't even notice unless someone points out these things. :) 

That's awesome, where will you be traveling? Will you be working or just exploring?

• Like 2

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread with Swedish pastry talk!

Psha. The moment you asked if she was Swedish I went "Ahhhhh they don't know each other yet!! This is a magical moment!!" 

So hijack away. :) 

• Like 5

Oh snap, I got guadian too. As for a favourite sweet... NTB that's like asking a parent to say which child is their favourite, how could you?! How is one to choose between wine and chocolate?? I refuse. 

0cbcc5c1c84e20813d8a09e4c0230b43.gif

• Like 8

Week 0 Monday Update

I need to work on that whole self restraint thing. Also courage. Also honor. ASDFGHJKL

But it was a happy day.

Routines

• I went through my morning routine well, including guardian journaling
  • I went through my evening routine when I got home and actually got to bed at a reasonable hour, for the first time in a while. 'Tis good. 

Guardian

• I did guardian journaling in the morning
  • My "work" goal was a struggle. I did a great job in the morning and got 1/2 stressful things done really well. When I got back after running errands at noon, I dragged my feet a lot and had a hard time getting started on stressful thing #2. I'm working on it. I think I'm going to focus on the "just do one thing" idea to get started, because usually once I get started I get sucked in. 

Food

• I had a banana bread smoothie for breakfast. Probably a little too carb/sugar heavy, but delicious.
  • Food was otherwise terrible. I didn't have everything for my lunch salad prepped on time, so I ended up eating while I was out running an errand at lunch, and that bad decision carried down to the rest of the evening. On the bright side, I did not really do any snacking. I think part of the challenge here is just that I'm not in the habit of being restrained anymore so it's too easy to make bad decisions. Once I start chaining together some food wins, It'll be easier to remember how to use willpower. 

Fitness

• I did Elements in the morning and walked after work
  • Before Aikido, I took about 15 minutes to do some mindful movement. It was mainly yoga with some FF stretching thrown into the middle. I've been struggling for a while now to figure out how to integrate yoga into my routine, and I'm starting to think that the key might be just doing some mindful movement on my own without the annoying process of setting up a video to get in my way. And then doing actual videos periodically. I'm still working on that part. 
  • Aikido 

Other

• After Aikido, I got to go hang out and get food at a seasonal burger joint with two Aikido peeps~  La la la~
  • I signed up for this Tiny Habits course - it's a free weeklong course focused on teaching you how to adopt habits. They have you focus on microhabits like "after I get up in the morning, I will do 2 pushups" and then celebrate every time you successfully do the thing. The idea is that you make it painless and super easy to do (because people just won't do things they find painful), you make it pleasurable through celebration (so you want to keep doing the thing), and you tack the habits onto very clear "after" triggers (to help make them happen naturally). Super interesting. 
  • Like 10

40 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:
  • My "work" goal was a struggle. I did a great job in the morning and got 1/2 stressful things done really well. When I got back after running errands at noon, I dragged my feet a lot and had a hard time getting started on stressful thing #2. I'm working on it. I think I'm going to focus on the "just do one thing" idea to get started, because usually once I get started I get sucked in.

Ugghh this is me too.  Stressful work things usually get put off because [insert any reason really here] but I've been trying to be more up front about tackling those things first, and man, the feeling of relief and accomplishment when it's done? So worth it!  Definitely just one at a time, otherwise hello overwhelmed!!!

• Like 3

Love the idea of pursuing an archetype, that's really interesting. I wonder what mine would be.

On sugar, does beer count as a sugary item? If so, I'd keep beer. If not, probably chocolate.

Edited by Jarric
Apparently it's spelled "archetype"
  • Like 2

Week 0 Tuesday

I am sure not feeling amazing about myself today. It's one of those days. Which is funny, because it was actually a pretty successful day. 

• I went through my morning routine really well, including journalling 
  • I had a healthy green smoothie for breakfast and a delicious cobb salad for lunch. Omnomnomnomnom. It's nice when salads are delicious. 
  • I did really well at focusing on the stressful thing at work all day. I ended up working a little bit late, but I made really good progress. And that terrible headache from a couple weeks ago came back....so it definitely has something to do with work. Either just my desk setup or intense concentration. Sighhh. 
  • I had egg muffins and parsnip "fries" for dinner. I also had two snack foods during the day that were less good - some rice cakes with banana and peanut butter and some halo top ice cream. But, I'm getting there. 
  • I was planning to go running after work, but between the headache and just being drained I didn't feel like it. I went on a walk and even cut that a bit short. Eventually after dinner I felt like it was the guardiany thing to do SOMETHING anyway. So I went on my short 1 mile run. Even that was actually sort of hard. My leg is still bugging me and my head didn't like it. Then I did my 2-2 Elements session in the apartment gym and felt kind of embarrassed because it's not much of a workout and there were other people there. But I know that's silly. 

I think I'll feel better if I can get food back under control again. I just need some momentum to feel like I've got my life together. T_T

• Like 12

5 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I think I'll feel better if I can get food back under control again. I just need some momentum to feel like I've got my life together. T_T

Sounds like this day was a step in the right direction. You'll get there. How do I know? Because I've followed your challenges for a while and when you put your mind to something it gets done. Things don't always happen on our schedule. But as Kate keeps telling me (and it reassures me at least): You are right on time.

Also tell me more about how you feel about Elements now? :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I am sure not feeling amazing about myself today. It's one of those days. Which is funny, because it was actually a pretty successful day. 

Getting things done when you aren't feeling amazing about yourself is how you build that momentum! Great work!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dagger said:

Also tell me more about how you feel about Elements now? :)

I still like it! I feel like the stretches and the squat work are really effective for helping with mobility. I genuinely enjoy doing most of them and the movement feels good.That said, it's only Week 2 so it's hard to say how much of an effect it will actually have by the end of the program. Week 2 is a repeat of week 1 - it's all about getting used to the movements. From what I understand, Weeks 3-6 will start moving on to some variations on the movements designed to help improve on your weak areas, so that's when I'll really see the nitty gritty of the course. 

It still feels weird to only spend a few minutes on the overall movements. Like, I definitely need to take a break at the end of that time, but it's hard to accept that you do all of those stretches just to move around for a few minutes and nothing else. But that doesn't mean it won't be effective. 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

It still feels weird to only spend a few minutes on the overall movements. Like, I definitely need to take a break at the end of that time, but it's hard to accept that you do all of those stretches just to move around for a few minutes and nothing else. But that doesn't mean it won't be effective. 

In some ways that is exactly what sounds good to me. A slow start to ramp up later. Since I'm basically sedentary this program sounds pretty good to me and so does what they say and value. (I've been going through their site.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dagger said:

In some ways that is exactly what sounds good to me. A slow start to ramp up later. Since I'm basically sedentary this program sounds pretty good to me and so does what they say and value. (I've been going through their site.)

I hear ya. I signed up for it because I really just wanted to do movement that involved whole body action and flow, and I kept feeling more and more driven to try it. 

This review helped talk me into it. Between my wrist injury, having super tight hips, and sort of tight shoulders, it sounded like the perfect thing to target all of those. 

• Like 3

On 4/16/2017 at 0:39 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Last challenge, @Tanktimus the Encourager and @fleaball had an interesting discussion about rewiring your brain by picking an archetype that you want to emulate.

That was clearly one hell of a conversation, because a slightly different part of it spoke to me so strongly that it helped form the foundation for my new challenge. Good job, you two.

I thought about it for a while and eventually realized that all of the archetypes I thought of had one thing in common: they were guardians.  

I keep coming back to the mantra "courage, honor, self restraint"

This totally fits my image of you! And I love that mantra.

Also, my theme for this year is honesty. That doesn't just mean honest in the sense of not lying. It means facing into things when I'm feeling the urge to withdraw because I'm self-conscious. It means being true to myself even when I want to act differently because I'm afraid people won't like me. It means showing up and doing the work even though I want to procrastinate or avoid it because something stresses me out. It means honestly making the effort. It means listening to my body and listening to my heart. It means feeling my feelings.

I feel like 70% of my anxiety in life comes from situations in which I'm not being fully honest. And if I can learn to embrace that honesty, I can drastically improve my life.

I'd never thought about honesty as such an expansive concept. You've given me something to think about, because reading that I found myself nodding.

Icebreaker

I read a book a while back about a family that gave up sugar, including honey, fruit juice, and artificial sweeteners, for an entire year. Once per month, they would have a dessert that contained sugar. But that's it. Each family member could also pick a single thing with sugar in it to keep for the year. They chose things like wine, soda, and jelly. 

So I'm curious. If you had to do a challenge where you could only eat one thing with sugar for a WHOLE YEAR, what would you pick? I'm personally torn between ketchup and tea lattes.  

This is hard. Up until recently I would have said chocolate, but I gave up chocolate (except for at restaurants) about a month and a half ago. I'm assuming fruit is still allowed, right? If not I would say apples because I need apples. But if fruit is allowed, then I would have to say red wine :)

• Like 6

Week 0 Wednesday Update

Aaaaaargh I'm so frustrated. No matter how many times I work through my goals for fitness, I feel like I just end up with a mess. I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. I was making SUCH GREAT PROGRESS before I had to back off because of this stupid wrist issue, and I feel like my routine has just slowly come apart since then. And my legs are also being stupid with running. I'm so ANNOYED! RAWR. Feel my feelings. Honesty. I am a dragon. 

I was doing the start bodyweight routine and being really successful with that. And then I started cutting things when my wrist started bugging me, and it just felt less and less like a worthwhile workout, and my wrist isn't any better, and eventually I just couldn't force myself to do it, and I'm so annoyyyyyyyed. I don't know where to focus myself. I don't know what I should cut and what I should keep doing, and if there are things I should cut so that I can focus on other things. 

I'm wondering if I should regress my workouts? Like, maybe go all the way back to the basic BBWW and carefully work on each movement. And then add in the supplemental parts of the circuit that I used to do. And then move back into the startbodyweight workout?

Or does that make sense? I wonder if maybe instead I should just regress a little bit on the startbodyweight workout, with special care and regressions for the wrist straining activities, but not go all the way back to the BBWW?

I got my first pullup last year through the startbodyweight program, though from standing and not a dead hang. I want to make progress. I want to work on mobility, work on a perfect dead hang pullup, figure out how to run without hurting myself, and otherwise just maintain my basic fitness level. Those are my goals. I just don't know how to approach the bodyweight workouts anymore. 

Anyway. Today's update:

• Morning routine was so-so. I kind of broke it up in between other things throughout the morning, and not everything on the list got done.
  • Work was good. Good? Well, I did it. I got a slow start in the morning but I focused and worked throughout the whole day once I got started. And I still have two million things to do. I don't know how to handle having this much to do?? Like, I have this one project that needs about 100% of my attention to get done, and then I have five other projects that I'm scrambling to keep up with in the meantime. I took a break in the evening for bootcamp/dinner and then I WORKED MORE because I don't know how else to keep up. I am typing this on my work computer. Aaaargh. I really hate this. I need to get everything back in order so that I can have evenings for myself again. 
  • I wasn't feeling hungry this morning, and then around 9am I changed my mind and didn't want a smoothie. I made some paleo peach pancakes that I'd wanted to try. *hides from the nutrition police*. For lunch I had a cobb salad and for dinner I had more egg muffins and parsnips. I snacked on the leftover pancakes during the day. A little after dinner, I still felt hungry, so I had a rice cake with peanut butter. I still need to work on the snack choices, but today was a little bit better than yesterday and that's what matters. Progress.
  • In the evening I stopped working and went to bootcamp. It was a strength and conditioning workout and it sucked. Conditioning is not my strength. I might take a week off from bootcamp next week so that I can focus on figuring out my other stuff. 
  • After I got home, I went on a VERY short walk in the rain just for the sake of getting something in. And also because I wanted to keep my Pokestop streak going. #priorities
  • I still have to do Elements tonight T___T

Unrelated: Last night after my post, I did one circuit of the BBWW just for funsies. Because I felt like doing a little more. 

• Like 11