• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena lets the miles fall where they may

On 4/21/2017 at 11:09 AM, imprimis5 said:

Not too closely, for safety's sake, please.

Safety first!

Weekend run update: This is gonna sound wishy-washy, but it's true. I droppped out of the marathon after 20 miles, and that was more-or-less according to plan. I have races the next two weeks, and I really was using this one as a shakedown and training run. The first ~17 miles felt pretty good. The last 3 not-so-good (not injured, just tired). I knew I could do the last 6 but that they wouldn't be pretty and they would deplete me enough that it would be hard to recover. I learned some stuff from the run that will help me over the next couple of weeks and I had a lot of fun. I am still sore enough that I feel good about the effort I put in. I was emphatically reminded that running 20 miles of trail is very different than running 20 miles of road!

Sushi list update: I got a little over-confident with my early success. I took a little time off work Friday and waited for the handyman, who never showed up. So here's the status

Massage - scheduled for Thursday

Vet - scheduled for next week

Switch doctors - mostly done. Just need to do the intake call

Order furniture - mostly done. Just gotta Craigslist the old table

Handyman - grrrr....will call tomorrow

Zero week recap: Mostly good. Ran 33 miles. Made it to yoga once. Didn't make it to the gym at all (but going tomorrow). Did a good test week with my water and calorie goals. Did hills (5 done, 21 to go) and strides (8 done, 42 to go). Did a bunch of batch cooking today. Ready to roll!!!

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Xena said:

Weekend run update: This is gonna sound wishy-washy, but it's true. I droppped out of the marathon after 20 miles, and that was more-or-less according to plan. I have races the next two weeks, and I really was using this one as a shakedown and training run. The first ~17 miles felt pretty good. The last 3 not-so-good (not injured, just tired). I knew I could do the last 6 but that they wouldn't be pretty and they would deplete me enough that it would be hard to recover. I learned some stuff from the run that will help me over the next couple of weeks and I had a lot of fun. I am still sore enough that I feel good about the effort I put in. I was emphatically reminded that running 20 miles of trail is very different than running 20 miles of road!

It's not wishy washy, it's wisdom. You did the smart thing and I'm proud of you.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Xena said:

I was emphatically reminded that running 20 miles of trail is very different than running 20 miles of road!

LOL! Now I'm curious. Since you run all the time, how far into the trail run were you when this reminder came to the forefront of thought? Cuz, for someone who runs a lot less like myself, it's about 19.75 miles less than 20 miles. :P

• Like 6

Only you would call running 20 miles being wishy-washy.

Good for you sticking to your training plan in spite of peer pressure to finish the race. You totally get sushi credit for making arrangements with the handyman, even though he flaked out. It will be informative to hear his story on why he didn't show up or call you to say he couldn't make it. Things happen, but common courtesy still applies.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It's not wishy washy, it's wisdom. You did the smart thing and I'm proud of you.

Thanks Tank! My calves are really sore today (just depleted, not injured), so I'm confident it was a good call.

6 hours ago, jstanlick said:

LOL! Now I'm curious. Since you run all the time, how far into the trail run were you when this reminder came to the forefront of thought? Cuz, for someone who runs a lot less like myself, it's about 19.75 miles less than 20 miles. :P

Hah! It was sort of a realization that 15-16 miles in, I was feeling the way I would feel 18-20 miles in on a typical road course. And after I had stopped and was hanging around the finish area, I realized it took EXTREME effort to raise my leg (so the thigh would be parallel to the ground). Hip flexors were completely shot. I learned/remembered some useful things for my race in a couple weeks. Mostly that I want to tape my toes before the race to try to prevent/delay/minimize blisters.

5 hours ago, Mistr said:

Good for you sticking to your training plan in spite of peer pressure to finish the race. You totally get sushi credit for making arrangements with the handyman, even though he flaked out. It will be informative to hear his story on why he didn't show up or call you to say he couldn't make it. Things happen, but common courtesy still applies.

Not sure what the deal was. I talked to him today and we made a clear appointment for next Monday at 9:00. English isn't his first language, so I thought it would be easier to figure things out in person than on the phone.

Also on the sushi list, I did the new patient interview with the new doctor today. And I checked that I could still get into my Craigslist account (for trying to get rid of furniture once the new table gets here).

Actual sushi reward will probably be some time next week, so I'll just keep doing what I can do deal with this stuff.

Challenge day 1!

Ran just under 3 miles...was planning for less, but realizezd I had forgotten to pick up the jacket I stashed.

4 strides (38 to go), 3 hill repeats (18 to go).

Went to the gym, 12 negatives (48 to go).

Drank my water, tracked calories and made my goal (2281/2300)

Tomorrow...want to go running. Need to motivate because I have an early meeting. I'll plan to go if it's raining, but I'm allowed to turn back after a mile if the weather is miserable.

• Like 10

Sushi prizes are an awesome motivator - looks like you got a solid head start during week zero!

Good luck with the non-phone answering businesses... How annoying!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

this came across my dash and it literally had your name on it so I'm bringing it to you here

large.99d4cb6843507c099de815e35eb534aa.jpg.4e720e6b21ea94d6ba58b0e0717be5c4.jpg

Go Full On Xena. I'm so adding that to my motivation mantras, along with "Maximum Effort" and "I am one with The Force and The Force is with me"

• Like 6

On 4/25/2017 at 9:37 AM, DJtrippyT said:

this came across my dash and it literally had your name on it so I'm bringing it to you here

Go Full On Xena

Amazing!! I love it!

On 4/25/2017 at 10:26 AM, Fonzico said:

Good luck with the non-phone answering businesses... How annoying!

Slow and steady progress :-)

Yesterday I wimped out a little, but that meant I had to make up for it today by running in a slightly miserable drizzle. 3 hill repeats and 4 strides. Got my massage! Some of it was nice, but most of it was  uhhh intense. All kinds of deep tissue stuff (hello piriformes!!!). My back felt wonderful all day. Made me feel guilty going to the gym after work, but I went and felt pretty strong.

By the numbers:

Hill repeats: 35/50 done (week 6 of 9 week challenge)

Strides: 16/50 done (week 2 of 6 week challenge)

Negatives: 20/60 done

Water: 3/28 days (aiming for 20)

Calorie tracking and goal: 3 days this week (goal 5+ per week)

Have a 10 mile trail race on Sunday. Going up with a group of friends, It's a race I've done before that I really like a lot. Low key, fun terrain, good atmosphere. Doing a super long race the following weekend, so gonna use this 10-miler to test out a couple things related to footware, blisters, etc.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, ForestGoddess said:

Have fun at your race! I'm a runner...but don't race much :) Maybe that will change when I retire (wayyyy down the road) and have more time :P 

You have an awesome streak :-)

Got the massage yesterday. Today I woke up with the same old tightness in my upper back. Grrr. At least it goes away pretty soon after I woke up.

Running today was a tiny bit frustrating. I've learned that every spring, I reach a point where my running ability goes downhill. I don't really understand if it's the temperature or allergies or what. Today I was out for a pretty normal run and had to stop and walk several times. The one way I've learned to deal with the situation is to wear a heart rate monitor for a few runs. That sort of lets me prove to myself that I'm putting in the effort and can't really control how my body responds. It seems to be HR monitor season again. This sort of sounds like what @Jarric was describing a week or two ago.

Drank my water today. Not counting calories. Was on track for breakfast and lunch. Went to a wine tasting at dinner time...restaurant appetizer salad, a little bread and cheese and some small tastes of wine. Had some cottage cheese when I came home. Don't think it was too much, but honestly don't have good estimate. Much easier to have a couple no-track days.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Xena said:

Running today was a tiny bit frustrating. I've learned that every spring, I reach a point where my running ability goes downhill. I don't really understand if it's the temperature or allergies or what. Today I was out for a pretty normal run and had to stop and walk several times. The one way I've learned to deal with the situation is to wear a heart rate monitor for a few runs. That sort of lets me prove to myself that I'm putting in the effort and can't really control how my body responds. It seems to be HR monitor season again. This sort of sounds like what @Jarric was describing a week or two ago.

It's a weird thing, isn't it? Hope you get past that quickly for your races.

Also, I now realise that I hadn't checked in here yet, but loving the challenge! I know you don't have a mileage goal this month, but do we get a mileage count at the end anyway? I'm always amazed to see how far you can go in a few weeks.

• Like 1

Have you ever tried physiotherapy for your back? I know a lot of people think it's just for acute injuries, but it's an amazing thing for your body for preventative and maintenance purposes.

I have a problem area in my left shoulder/upper back, and go to physio every​ 6 weeks or so to keep it at bay. It works better than massage or chiro. Miracle workers, I tell you!

18 hours ago, Xena said:

Got the massage yesterday. Today I woke up with the same old tightness in my upper back. Grrr. At least it goes away pretty soon after I woke up.

Bummer the massage didn't help. That usually works for me. Tightness in the upper back after sleeping? I can't remember, have you tried changing your pillows? 

18 hours ago, Xena said:

Running today was a tiny bit frustrating. I've learned that every spring, I reach a point where my running ability goes downhill. I don't really understand if it's the temperature or allergies or what.

Let me know if you figure this out. I tend to have similar issues in the spring, it gets better in the summer and the fall is usually when I'm at my best with winter similar to summer. I don't know if it takes a while for the body to get used to the warmer temps as I do often feel overheated in the spring, or if its pollen in the air or what. But, it does feel like I have to work harder in the spring than any other time of the year.

18 hours ago, Xena said:

Running today was a tiny bit frustrating. I've learned that every spring, I reach a point where my running ability goes downhill. I don't really understand if it's the temperature or allergies or what.

sounds really frustrating. I hope you push through the early spring thing soon. I've often wondered about allergies because I get really sick at around this time of year a lot but I've never been able to prove it one way or the other. 

Following! 

I never thanked you for the link to the blister guy's blog. It was super helpful. I have ordered some KT Tape to try when I can start running again. What kind of tape are you using on your toes? 

On 4/25/2017 at 9:37 AM, DJtrippyT said:

large.99d4cb6843507c099de815e35eb534aa.jpg.4e720e6b21ea94d6ba58b0e0717be5c4.jpg

this is awesome!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2017 at 8:13 AM, Jarric said:

It's a weird thing, isn't it? Hope you get past that quickly for your races.

Also, I now realise that I hadn't checked in here yet, but loving the challenge! I know you don't have a mileage goal this month, but do we get a mileage count at the end anyway? I'm always amazed to see how far you can go in a few weeks.

Have had a couple good days, so not complaining.

Absolutely...and if things go well, week 2 will be a monster!

On 4/28/2017 at 8:59 AM, Fonzico said:

Have you ever tried physiotherapy for your back? I know a lot of people think it's just for acute injuries, but it's an amazing thing for your body for preventative and maintenance purposes.

I did for my lower back when I was having serious pain ~1 year ago. It miraculously healed...can't tell if it was due to the PT or not, but I'll take it.

This upper back thing isn't a huge deal, and it's much better than it was.

On 4/28/2017 at 3:02 PM, jstanlick said:

Bummer the massage didn't help. That usually works for me. Tightness in the upper back after sleeping? I can't remember, have you tried changing your pillows? 

Let me know if you figure this out. I tend to have similar issues in the spring, it gets better in the summer and the fall is usually when I'm at my best with winter similar to summer. I don't know if it takes a while for the body to get used to the warmer temps as I do often feel overheated in the spring, or if its pollen in the air or what. But, it does feel like I have to work harder in the spring than any other time of the year.

So the massage was great, and I'm going to try to go every 6-8 weeks. I think you are on the right track with the pillows. A friend suggested that I try sleeping while hugging a firm pillow. That apparently can help side sleepers because the weight of your arm pulls on your back. It does seem to be helping.

On 4/28/2017 at 3:12 PM, jonfirestar said:

sounds really frustrating. I hope you push through the early spring thing soon. I've often wondered about allergies because I get really sick at around this time of year a lot but I've never been able to prove it one way or the other. 

It's ok...I'm kind of used to it and try not to fixate on it too much. And I've had some good runs lately.

On 4/28/2017 at 9:37 PM, honeybadger said:

Following! 

I never thanked you for the link to the blister guy's blog. It was super helpful. I have ordered some KT Tape to try when I can start running again. What kind of tape are you using on your toes? 

I'll look it up! It's kind of like a thin roll (1") of ace bandage material that sticks to itself.

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

How did your race go?

I love the idea of going full on Xena. You are an inspiration to all of us. :D

Aw shucks!

The really crappy run on Thursday was followed by a vastly better run on Friday (over a minute per mile faster on the same course with easier effort). The race today was ok. For some reason I was in a really negative head space and had a hard time shaking it. The running itself was ok, the weather was great, I love the course, I was with my friends. I guess I was just grouchy. But I was much happier on the way home. I think maybe I was just tired. I crashed out hard on the couch for an hour after I got back, showered and ate.

• Like 9

Week 1 Update

~28 miles including a 10-mile trail race.

1. 50 hill repeats (Week 6 of 9-week challenge): 6 this week. 35/50 so far.

2. 50 strides (Week 2 of 6-week challenge): 8 this week. 16/50 so far.

3. 60 chin-up negatives: 20/60 done.

4. 1 liter of water per day: 6/7

5. Calorie tracking (under 2300 avg over at least 5 days per week): 5 days tracked. Sneaked in at 2299.4.  I kid you not. Of the two days I didn't track, one was that wine tasting and I'm guessing I hit my goal. The other was the day of a brunch I hosted, and I think I probably went way over. Back on track for next week. Have one dinner out planned, but it shouldn't be too crazy.

This coming weekend is a big event for me. A "last man standing" competition where you do one loop around the trail every hour on the hour...until you can't. The loop is under 4 miles, and even jogging casually I can do it in about 40 minutes. It's an unofficial event, and there are only about 5 of us who really take it seriously (other friends will join at variou times to run a loop or two). It's fun because with all the rest, it essentially becomes an all-day picnic. But eventually it gets harder and harder mentally to start the next loop. The last time I did it (2 years ago), I managed 10 loops. This year my stretch goal is to hit 12. I think I'm physically capable. I have two potential concerns...one is weather. It might rain, which could mean blisters and/or getting cold. The other one is some soreness in my big toe joint (I think I bruised it, created some swelling, and/or strained some muscles/ligaments/tendons(?) a few weeks back). I'll just have to see how it holds up. Looking forward to the complete craziness.

Might go without saying, but I'm going to eat vast amounts of whatever I want on the day of the race.

• Like 9