• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena lets the miles fall where they may

4 miles per lap... 12 lap goal... *does the math* ...you are a machine!

Sounds like a really fun event though, I hope you have a good time!

• Like 3

I'm sorry your trail race wasn't as much fun as it could have been... It happens, eh?

But the "last man standing" thing sounds like such a fun competition! I hope the weather turns out!

It looks like your goals are on track so far- Great job!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xena said:

Might go without saying, but I'm going to eat vast amounts of whatever I want on the day of the race.

Coneheads.jpg

If you're goal is to complete 48 miles, IMO you get to eat whatever keeps you upright.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Xena said:

Might go without saying, but I'm going to eat vast amounts of whatever I want on the day of the race.

48 miles and all the food you can stomach. Sorta sounds brutal but amazing! 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That's a great race format. How many laps does it usually take to win? Don't forget, the mind always breaks before your body, so don't listen to your brain.

Tough question because I'm not sure anyone has really put in "maximum effort" yet. Usually 14 or 15 laps. There's a natural breaking point around there because it starts getting dark. Running in the dark when you are exhausted takes a different level of commitment. So far there are have only been at most 2 guys competing with serious distance credentials. The past 2 years it's really just been one guy, with no one to push him. This year they've been talking about bringing in a friend who is a serious distance runner (and a woman...I'm psyched to have more girl power out there). So it might get more serious...but I'll believe it when I see it.

If we wanted to really push it, it would help for us to enlist some support crew helping through the night. But that's starting to get a little too organized.

6 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

48 miles and all the food you can stomach. Sorta sounds brutal but amazing! 

I've been vague about the precise distance...it's more like 3.7 miles, so I'll be aiming for a little over 44 :-). I'm completely psyched for it. Whatever distance I manage, it will be a journey. It's looking like it might be raining, so that could make it more interesting. Current reports make it sound like rain will mostly be early, so maybe it will clear up and give us a little boost later on.

Today was good. Did my normal Monday 2-miler with 5 strides thrown in for fun. Bit of yoga. Gym after work with some good effort on the negatives. Have been slowly mixing in pushups, including diamond knee pushups. Feeling happy to be doing pushups again, mostly scaled but a couple full ones.

Also bought a lot of junk food....er, supplies...for during the race.

Also waited around again for the handyman who never showed up. He is officially off my list. Going to try calling the drywall repair place tomorrow or Wed. Not sure if they do a small jobs or not. Taking the cat to the vet for a checkup on Wed (poor kitty, he hates it!), so that will at least satisfy my adulting quota for the week.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Xena said:

I've been vague about the precise distance...it's more like 3.7 miles, so I'll be aiming for a little over 44 :-)

Ohh only 44 miles and not 48.... you are a badass :P but you might need more supplies!

• Like 3

I can see where getting up again becomes the main obstacle. Running a 44 mile course has a finish line to motivate you. Running for twelve hours with short breaks is a totally different kind of endurance. I hope your friends make it a fun day.

How disappointing that the handyman stood you up again! Are you a member of Angie's List? They have reviews of service businesses. I joined when we bought our house. I find it helpful to have a short list of local providers to choose from.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2017 at 2:35 AM, Xena said:

Also waited around again for the handyman who never showed up. He is officially off my list. 

This is the worst. I mean is the guy so not in need of work that he can afford to lose not only one client but all the potential clients that could have come through recomendations? 

Holy mistletoe, Batman! I knew I was missing something (goes back to read all 3 pages)

Meanwhile, I'm trying to send you a PM and get an error message. Perhaps your inbox is full?

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 0:16 PM, Mistr said:

How disappointing that the handyman stood you up again! Are you a member of Angie's List? They have reviews of service businesses. I joined when we bought our house. I find it helpful to have a short list of local providers to choose from.

Great idea. I haven't tried that yet, but I'll make it my goal  for today.

On 5/4/2017 at 10:37 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Holy mistletoe, Batman! I knew I was missing something (goes back to read all 3 pages)

Meanwhile, I'm trying to send you a PM and get an error message. Perhaps your inbox is full?

Thanks!  I'll clean it up as soon as I finish posting.

• Like 1

Regular challenge stuff- Week 2 update

1. 50 hill repeats  (9 week challenge) 5 this week, bringing me to 40. On track

2. 50 strides (6 week challenge) 10 this week, brining me to 26. On track

3. 60 chin-up negatives 18 this week, bringing me to 38. Ahead of schedule

4. 1 liter of water per day (5 days/week' 20 days target). 5 or more days this week (hard to count the big run day), at least 11 days so far.

5. 2300 avg calories over 5+ days per week; Only tracked 4 days this week, mostly due to the big run day. Gonna give myself a conditional pass on this one, as long as I track 6 days in one of the two remaining weeks.

And the interesting part...last man standing challenge!

I did a running challenge/contest with some friends this weekend. One ~3.8 mile loop around our trail, starting a new loop every hour on the hour till you can't do anymore. My previous record was 10 (which was also the farthest I had ever run). My goal for this year was 12 loops, about 45 miles.

I did it!

It was a fun day with some good friends. The conditions weren't completely easy. The first 7.5 hours were a light but constant rain. I had blisters. I kept trying to take care of them (taping etc), but with the steady rain, it was hard. The lack of bathroom facilities wasn't ideal (enough about that). The best thing was that a friend and VERY experienced ultra runner was there to help with pacing. I went much slower in the early loops than I had before, and I think that helped a lot later on. I stayed in from 6 am to 6 pm. The winner got 18 loops, finishing at midnight. I'm really impressed with the 3 guys who were left at the end. It started raining again around 7 or 8 pm and didn't really stop.

Usually after a marathon I get a really solid sleep that night. This was very different. I went to bed feeling pretty good. I woke up around 1:30 am feeling like every part of my body had seized up. Like the DOMS set in all at once. Went to sit up, and realized that all my core muscles were completely shot. Stumbled out of bed, heat up some leftover pad thai and watched American Ninja Warrior reruns for an hour. Kind of surreal. Yesterday and today, feeling all the aches. But just general fatigue and soreness, nothing that feels like joint pain etc. I'm very happy with the whole thing.

Gonna do some easy running this week (or walking if running doesn't feel right) and keep going to the gym, but this is mostly a recovery week. My next big race is end of July, so I'll have to set up my training plan for the next few months.

• Like 10

You are amazing! I'm just going to put that out there right now. Well done. 12 hours and 44ish miles is nothing short of astonishing. I can barely imagine the fortitude it takes to pull that off. 

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Usually after a marathon I get a really solid sleep that night. This was very different. I went to bed feeling pretty good. I woke up around 1:30 am feeling like every part of my body had seized up. Like the DOMS set in all at once. Went to sit up, and realized that all my core muscles were completely shot. Stumbled out of bed, heat up some leftover pad thai and watched American Ninja Warrior reruns for an hour. Kind of surreal. Yesterday and today, feeling all the aches. But just general fatigue and soreness, nothing that feels like joint pain etc. I'm very happy with the whole thing.

This pretty accurately describes my night last night! Like all my muscles in my body had a meeting and decided that they were going to wake me up and make me suffer for everything I'd done to them! Just going to get up... nope my arms aren't moving. Although I imagine it was about 4 times as bad for you. 

Well done! Looking on in interest at what your training program leading up to July is going to look like. 

2 hours ago, Xena said:

I did it!

It was a fun day with some good friends. The conditions weren't completely easy. The first 7.5 hours were a light but constant rain. I had blisters. I kept trying to take care of them (taping etc), but with the steady rain, it was hard. The lack of bathroom facilities wasn't ideal (enough about that). The best thing was that a friend and VERY experienced ultra runner was there to help with pacing. I went much slower in the early loops than I had before, and I think that helped a lot later on. I stayed in from 6 am to 6 pm. The winner got 18 loops, finishing at midnight. I'm really impressed with the 3 guys who were left at the end. It started raining again around 7 or 8 pm and didn't really stop.

Gonna do some easy running this week (or walking if running doesn't feel right) and keep going to the gym, but this is mostly a recovery week. My next big race is end of July, so I'll have to set up my training plan for the next few months.

Wow, You are an AMAZING BADASS RANGER!! Congratulations on reaching your goal.How far is your July race?

Just when I think I can't be more amazed by you, and then you go and do it! 12 hours and 45 miles, that's incredible! So so well done.

Enjoy your recovery week, you have well and truly earned it.

• Like 3

Congratulations on meeting your goal! In the rain, with blisters and no modern plumbing. Amazing Ranger Badass.

My sympathy on your body telling you off in the middle of the night. I hope that you recover quickly with a few days of rest.

On 5/8/2017 at 9:30 AM, ForestGoddess said:

Wow, You are an AMAZING BADASS RANGER!! Congratulations on reaching your goal.How far is your July race?

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! The July race is a marathon. In some ways it will be harder. This ultra-challenge was kind of weird because there was no incentive to go fast (and lots of advantage to going slowly). I'm not a particularly fast runner, but I always try my best, so the marathon will be shorter but more intense.

15 hours ago, Mistr said:

My sympathy on your body telling you off in the middle of the night. I hope that you recover quickly with a few days of rest.

It was painful but kind of funny. I'm recovering, but I know it will take a while. I'm not really sore anymore, but I can tell my muscles are depleted.

Monday - Gentle yoga and 2 miles mostly walking. Gym (scaled down the workout a bit)

Tuesday - Gentle yoga and 2 miles mostly jogging (had planned to go farther, but body said no).

Today - Gonna do some gentle yoga this morning. Not sure yet about afternoon.

Haven't been checking threads for a few days, but will start slowly catching up.

Oh, and for people who wanted to know what I ate during the run:

(early morning before the run: noosa yogurt, 2 pieces toast with butter and jam, banana, coffee)

1.5 turkey and cheese sandwiches

~2/3 of a bag of chips (regular size, not "snack size")

1 pack of two hostess cupcakes

2 snackpacks of Keebler peanutbutter crackers (6 little cracker sandwiches per pack)

2 small cans of coke

~30 oz gatorade

3 small peppermint patties

As I was finishing, we got some pad thai delivered...

• Like 7

Today was weird. I woke up super early (usually 6 am like clockwork, today 4:30 am with an insomnia-like feel). Got up and worked on my computer. Did some really good (needed) yoga in the morning. Had planned to run or go to the gym after work, but I was tired and crazy freaking starving. I skipped all further exercise in favor of a hearty healthy dinner. Definitely just listening to my body this week. I'll run tomorrow morning for sure.

Found a very promising handyman on Angie's list. Thanks for the suggestion @Mistr!! I messaged him on the site. If he doesn't write back (no idea if he checks the website), I'll try calling this week.

The drywall job is pretty small (but my top priority)l, so I've added a couple things I would like to have done if he's interested (e.g., to make it more worthwhile). Got kind of excited when I thought of some things that I'd kind of gotten used to living with. I'm not particularly handy, and I've accumulated a long list of mildly broken things... For example, my bathroom door has never latched properly. It's not usually a big deal (I live by myself), but I've spent the past 8 years explaining to houseguests that they have to block the door shut with the scale unless they want the cat to stroll in and join them! I also realized that if someone is coming out anyway, I could ask about having a proper pull-up bar hung (not the door frame kind, the kind you nail/bolt/screw into the wall). I have a cool mulit-level ceiling, and (oddly) I've ALWAYS wanted a pull-up bar in my living room. I'll take a photo to explain if this ever actually happens.

• Like 8