• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski: Tag- and Theme-Free

32 minutes ago, MikeWazowski said:

Fortunately no tearing today, but my calluses are definitely being put to the test and failing with all the rings work I've added (had a bunch tear yesterday, although oddly without any noticeable pain).

Liked for lack of pain, not for torn callouses. Just to clarify.

Also, how are you liking the ring training so far?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Liked for lack of pain, not for torn callouses. Just to clarify.

Also, how are you liking the ring training so far?

Lol I appreciate the recent trend of clarifying likes in the warriors - so friendly as we swing our battleaxes!

So far I'm really liking rings!!!! Definitely a challenge for stabilizing muscles (my first attempt at an inversion was an epic fail and nearly a butt plant), and also a fun way to mix things up since I was starting to feel blah about my programming for the weight room (which is my own fault, since I do my own programming). Going to be more volume than I'd do with weights, especially as I ramp up into doing more sets for each exercise (the program is 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps for ~5-6 rings exercises each workout, compared to ~12-15 working sets in total with weights).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

Lol I appreciate the recent trend of clarifying likes in the warriors - so friendly as we swing our battleaxes!

Well, we Warriors have such high standards of propriety and all :D

2 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

So far I'm really liking rings!!!! Definitely a challenge for stabilizing muscles (my first attempt at an inversion was an epic fail and nearly a butt plant), and also a fun way to mix things up since I was starting to feel blah about my programming for the weight room (which is my own fault, since I do my own programming). Going to be more volume than I'd do with weights, especially as I ramp up into doing more sets for each exercise (the program is 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps for ~5-6 rings exercises each workout, compared to ~12-15 working sets in total with weights).

Cool deal! Everyone is entitled to have a #gymfail when starting new things. The important thing is you did not actually fall on your backside. I think most programs can start to get a little stale after a bit, unless you are changing up accessories every so often, etc. I quite like the idea of adding in BW exercises along with barbell training. New skills and muscular endurance FTW! I'd be curious to know how the change in volume affects your gym time. (I am frequently amazed at how much work people get done in the time it takes me to finish just squats, etc.)

giphy-downsized-large.gif?response_id=59

I think this gif may have already been used. Silly internet. Too few ring related gifs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Oh definitely. There's a code of honor here!

2 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Cool deal! Everyone is entitled to have a #gymfail when starting new things. The important thing is you did not actually fall on your backside. I think most programs can start to get a little stale after a bit, unless you are changing up accessories every so often, etc. I quite like the idea of adding in BW exercises along with barbell training. New skills and muscular endurance FTW! I'd be curious to know how the change in volume affects your gym time. (I am frequently amazed at how much work people get done in the time it takes me to finish just squats, etc.)

giphy-downsized-large.gif?response_id=59

I think this gif may have already been used. Silly internet. Too few ring related gifs. 

I think you're the first, on my thread at least - but holy f*** that looks intense! So far I think it's been time-neutral, but I did chop out my Pilates practice and dropped 3 sets each of 2-3 accessory exercises every day when I added the rings, so a lot got cut. I don't rest super long between rings sets (60-90 sec) so it's easier to pack in more sets than taking 2+ minutes between heavy weightlifting sets (+ less time spent racking weights, though instead I spend time adjust ring heights).

• Like 1

Okay, I lied - trying to do 5 sets of 6 different exercises *definitely* takes longer than a normal lifting workout (with only one of the big 4 per day, plus 3 accessories and maybe abs). Could also be a result of waking up quite sleep deprived - stayed up til about midnight trying to get a data query to run for work, it's still taking too long to use for operational purposes.

The below (all on the rings) took about 60 minutes by itself:

• Dips - 8, 6, 6, 4, 4
  • Tuck to tuck should stand - 2, 2, 2, 2, 2 (most of these were not quality reps, still a lot of work to do to get upside down)
  • Inverted Push-ups - 8 x 5
  • Push-ups - 8 x 5 (these were humbling in terms of difficulty)
  • Jumps to dips (muscle-up precursor) - 8 x 3
  • L-sit hold - 3 secs x 3

Abzzzzzzz:

• Cable crunch 140 x 10 x 3
  • Ab wheel 25 x 3
  • Reverse crunch 15 x 3

ETA: This is about how much energy I have right now...

200.webp?response_id=591eff256df36c26f065d870#3-grid1

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, MikeWazowski said:

Okay, I lied - trying to do 5 sets of 6 different exercises *definitely* takes longer than a normal lifting workout

LOL yeeeeah.... I'm into it tho! Very effective compliment and clear use for all that strength! Dig the breakdown!

29 minutes ago, MikeWazowski said:

ETA: This is about how much energy I have right now...

200.webp?response_id=591eff256df36c26f065d870#3-grid1

GAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :D:D:D 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

14 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Except for the poop jokes. We do love our poop jokes. See @Taddea Zhaan:D 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RedStone said:

LOL yeeeeah.... I'm into it tho! Very effective compliment and clear use for all that strength! Dig the breakdown!

Lol - what strength?? :P

8 minutes ago, RedStone said:

GAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :D:D:D 

Cute puppies are the best, right?

200.webp?response_id=591f07c79611948200db7c4c#23-grid1

1 minute ago, elvenengineer said:

Except for the poop jokes. We do love our poop jokes. See @Taddea Zhaan:D 

You're right, she does talk a lot of shit.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MikeWazowski said:

You're right, she does talk a lot of shit.

Somebody has too, because everybody poops. 

• Like 3

Alright, guess it's time for the challenge wrap-up

Health:

• Allocate 8+ hours to sleep each night (will require me to dial-in my morning and evening routines)
  • Stick to cut calories every day, except for a variance 5/5 - 5/7 when good friends from college are in town (when I won't track)

Not great here - I did allocate at least 7 hours to sleep almost every night, which is still a minor win, but I definitely made some suboptimal food decisions throughout; despite that, I held roughly steady on weight and a caliper pinch this morning suggests I lost at least a bit of torso fat. Definitely going to keep cutting in my challenge goals next go around.

Injury rehab:

• Do ankle / foot exercises I need to ensure my ankles are strong to keep dancing (nothing bad recently

Welp - totally forgot about this one by the end, though I did start stretching before bed most evenings. My ankle started feeling twinge-y and I stopped doing this for a week to let it heal, which turned into not doing them at all.

Work: 

• Lock my phone in a drawer and don't go to non-work websites from 9 to 3 every workday (it'll mean I won't be on the forums as much)

I should have chosen a slightly different measure of success here, but I also didn't succeed at being super focused at work either way - but I have a going forward plan sketched out. And despite that, I had one of the best project results of my career in the past 3 weeks, so it's not all bad.

LUYL: 

• Make an online dating profile and start using it (haven't picked a platform yet, but I want to at least put myself out there again)
  • (BONUS) Start upgrading wardrobe / filling in holes (I recently made a list of clothing purchases I should make in the near-ish future for my professional 

Work stuff pretty much pushed these to the wayside. Gonna need to make a concerted effort here, but I probably won't tie it to a specific challenge time period and instead will just assign myself little steps to do on an ongoing basis (before I make one, I want to upload some pictures to Facebook so that I have slightly more options to choose from for the profile).

For the curious, I'll be doing my next challenge in the Assassins guild because: 1) I'll be doing a bunch of gymnastics ring stuff and 2) I'll be gearing up for and going to 2 different ballroom dance competitions.

• Like 3