• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miss_marissa

The Unbreakable Miss Marissa

Technically starting today, but let's give a little recap over the weekend....

Friday: Did a deadlift workout. Barbell variations were all no bueno so I did 1 arm kettlebell deadlifts. Good mornings and RDLs (owww my hammies) Went to the old powerlifting gym as my membership is good through the end of the month. Ran into a friend which was very nice :) I missed her and we made plans to drink wine. Finished with handstand work. Spent the night lounging around on the couch with Mr. J.

Saturday: Signed up for a membership at a new gym. Almost regretted it, as I got in a fight with someone about putting their weights away (because... of fucking course I did, right?) 

2 girls hoarding about 6 pairs of dumbbells. Basically have every pair from 25#-45#. 

One girl walks away to go use a machine or something idk. Another girls puts her headphones on and starts to walk away.

Me: "Are you done with those dumbbells?"

Girl: "Why, do you need them?"

Me: "No I just think you should put them away"

Girl: "I know how to clean up after myself" -with excessive attitude

Me: "Ok, well obviously you don't" - pointing to the 6 pairs of dumbbells on the floor

Girl: *mumbles something* *scowls at me and starts putting the weights away*

So you know... that was fun at my first official day at a new gym. Fricking Saturday morning amateur hour.

After that I went to March for Science Madison, where I met up with 2 nerds and a coworker and one of his friends. We marched (for science!) and then listened to the speakers and talked about science. Ate ice cream, caught pokemon, walked around downtown, ate crepes. Overall a good day.

Sunday: Got donuts with Mr J. Read a lot. Took a nap. Did some laundry and other stuff around the house (not enough, honestly, but I was just feeling so lazy and worn out from a busy Saturday). Caught up on TV a bit.  Foam rolled.

1) Fitness

☑☑☐☐☐ Move 5x/week

☐ Handstands

☐ Hip Strengthening*

☐☐ Foam Roll/Massage*

2) Read

Total  2 

3) Work on dat morning routine.

Turn off phone when I go to bed and use a different alarm clock

Prep breakfasts

Pick out outfit/jewelry etc night before

Drink a glass of water before I can have coffee/tea in the a.m.*

Morning yoga*

This morning I did all of the things \o/

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

After that I went to March for Science Madison, where I met up with 2 nerds and a coworker and one of his friends. We marched (for science!) and then listened to the speakers and talked about science. Ate ice cream, caught pokemon, walked around downtown, ate crepes. Overall a good day.

Science, Ice Cream, AND Crepes.

Image result for so jelly gif

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Saturday: Signed up for a membership at a new gym. Almost regretted it, as I got in a fight with someone about putting their weights away (because... of fucking course I did, right?) 

2 girls hoarding about 6 pairs of dumbbells. Basically have every pair from 25#-45#. 

One girl walks away to go use a machine or something idk. Another girls puts her headphones on and starts to walk away.

Me: "Ok, well obviously you don't" - pointing to the 6 pairs of dumbbells on the floor

So you know... that was fun at my first official day at a new gym. Fricking Saturday morning amateur hour.

I have many times I would have liked to say something like that but haven't, so I appreciate your endeavor to make the world a little better.

I didn't use a squat rack one day last week (and there's only one) because a guy was using it, and left a towel over the barbell with plates on it. Universal 'be right back, still using it' sign, right? He apparently left. Like, for the day. I totes could have used it. *sighs* PEOPLE

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

I have many times I would have liked to say something like that but haven't, so I appreciate your endeavor to make the world a little better.

I didn't use a squat rack one day last week (and there's only one) because a guy was using it, and left a towel over the barbell with plates on it. Universal 'be right back, still using it' sign, right? He apparently left. Like, for the day. I totes could have used it. *sighs* PEOPLE

I move that shit now. Happened to me at a 24 in a power rack. Homeboy left his keys and phone on a seat and wandered off to the other side of the gym to do cardio. I moved it and he came running over in mid set, yelling at me. Made him wait. Felt really good.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

I move that shit now. Happened to me at a 24 in a power rack. Homeboy left his keys and phone on a seat and wandered off to the other side of the gym to do cardio. I moved it and he came running over in mid set, yelling at me. Made him wait. Felt really good.

My hero. Anyone that wants to stray outside their rack by more than 20 feet / longer than 5 mins, they get what's coming to them.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

12 minutes ago, Laghail said:

My hero. Anyone that wants to stray outside their rack by more than 20 feet / longer than 5 mins, they get what's coming to them.

^^ What he said

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Just now, elvenengineer said:

^^ What he said

I feel like I sold it when I told him the gym was "Not a goddamn hotel. You don't get to make reservations."

• Like 6

With these programs I get, when I claim a platform, it is for the next hour or two.  I try my best to be accommodating, but I really do not understand why so many people do not have the requisite social skills to work in.  It's a great way to meet people!

If the racks are all claimed, then I can take just a little bit more time warming up.  This also gives me time to figure out if those weights are just sitting there and the last person to used them CBF to put them away.  This is a peeve of mine.  What is wrong with people?

"Is this being used?" is a very common question I hear.  Sometimes they want my poor man's camera stand, but that is my own doing.

If the platform appears to be abandoned, then I will take more than reasonable steps to make sure somebody is still not using it.  I believe the courtesy is appreciated and does get returned, even if indirectly.

• Like 5

Friday a guy supersetted between the rack and some spot down the hall with a dumbbell. I put my bench right by the rack so he could see who he was holding up with his BS while he did his shrugs. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Urgan said:

Friday a guy supersetted between the rack and some spot down the hall with a dumbbell. I put my bench right by the rack so he could see who he was holding up with his BS while he did his shrugs. 

Bring the DB to the rack, Free Farmer walk!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Bring the DB to the rack, Free Farmer walk!

No no, he carried the dumbbell as far from the rack as he could get. 

20 minutes ago, Urgan said:

UGH holding up the rack by doing shrugs too... Really guy???

I mean its not totally against etiquette? But like... you can't do that elsewhere?

38 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I feel like I sold it when I told him the gym was "Not a goddamn hotel. You don't get to make reservations."

tenor.gif

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

With these programs I get, when I claim a platform, it is for the next hour or two.  I try my best to be accommodating, but I really do not understand why so many people do not have the requisite social skills to work in.  It's a great way to meet people!

If the racks are all claimed, then I can take just a little bit more time warming up.  This also gives me time to figure out if those weights are just sitting there and the last person to used them CBF to put them away.  This is a peeve of mine.  What is wrong with people?

"Is this being used?" is a very common question I hear.  Sometimes they want my poor man's camera stand, but that is my own doing.

If the platform appears to be abandoned, then I will take more than reasonable steps to make sure somebody is still not using it.  I believe the courtesy is appreciated and does get returned, even if indirectly.

I'm all for the work in. I was regularly on both sides of it before I moved my workout time to the early A.M. But I actually don't have the time to play that guessing game. If a rack is physically unoccupied, and not because person is walking around in between sets, I lay claim.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I'm all for the work in. I was regularly on both sides of it before I moved my workout time to the early A.M. But I actually don't have the time to play that guessing game. If a rack is physically unoccupied, and not because person is walking around in between sets, I lay claim.

This. 

Caveat, if a trainer wants to work in with me and there's an empty rack next door, I bristle at the attempted sales pitch. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

The Enforcer has arisen.

4 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

This also gives me time to figure out if those weights are just sitting there and the last person to used them CBF to put them away.  This is a peeve of mine.  What is wrong with people?

I have wanted to put this sign up before

Image result for every time you don't rack your weights

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

Totally agree. Work in = new friend! :D 

• Like 3

The general trend at my Powerhouse is just to ask people nearby "hey, you seen anyone using this shit?" and if the answer is no, go for it. Because far too many people are guilty of the above, leaving weights on their bars. UGH. On Friday night someone left two 45's on each side of the bench. Like that is easy, unrack! The only one that is kind of a pain is unracking the trap bar. 

I was afraid of working in until I got to barbell club, we all work in together. So now when I go on my lonesome to Powerhouse (not the gym where I do PL club) I feel a lot more comfortable working in. My coach even has me working in with the guys doing way more weight than me. Even if I volunteer to start a new deadlift station when I have singles, he's like no, ya'll gonna learn to pull off 45's in yo' sleep. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

We finally got the free coffee we were promised we would have back in January at work today.

I'm currently making up for 4 months lost time.

Image result for coffee drinking gif

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

The general trend at my Powerhouse is just to ask people nearby "hey, you seen anyone using this shit?" and if the answer is no, go for it. Because far too many people are guilty of the above, leaving weights on their bars. UGH. On Friday night someone left two 45's on each side of the bench. Like that is easy, unrack! The only one that is kind of a pain is unracking the trap bar. 

I was afraid of working in until I got to barbell club, we all work in together. So now when I go on my lonesome to Powerhouse (not the gym where I do PL club) I feel a lot more comfortable working in. My coach even has me working in with the guys doing way more weight than me. Even if I volunteer to start a new deadlift station when I have singles, he's like no, ya'll gonna learn to pull off 45's in yo' sleep. 

It bothers me when people unrack squats to the point of leaving one 45 on each side. There are people who might not be a combination of tall enough and strong enough to be able to unrack that. And do not assume that everyone starts with at least 135. If you take the time to strip the bar to there, take the extra 10 seconds to strip it all the way.

Day 1.1

1) Fitness

☐☐☐ Move 5x/week

☐ Handstands

☐ Hip Strengthening*

☐☐ Foam Roll/Massage*

Gymnastics. Attempted a level 3 bars routine. It is not pretty. There are a lot of things I need to improve on, but this is really the first time I have ever filmed myself on bars. After I went over this with the teacher and I have a lot of tips and cues for improving. Most of the improvements will come with practice (aka doing bars more... which is hard due to scheduling our time with the other classes) There are some conditioning things I can do at home on a pullup bar to help (pullups, hollow hangs, leg lifts, #doyourdamnabs) hip strengthening, and then just working better on body positions. (side note/unrelated: I have such noodle arms that this video really exaggerates) Anyways... enjoy!

Finished the class with a bit of front handspring to 2 feet. And then handstands. Holy, chest to wall handstands. They are so much harder when you aren't a banana and when you do them properly. My upper back is DOMS today.

2) Read

Total  3 

I've nearly completed The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck (their censoring, not mine. I clearly have no qualms with the word fuck) I have about 10 pages left (which is good because it was due back to the library yesterday, #oops #notsorry)

3) Work on dat morning routine.

Turn off phone when I go to bed and use a different alarm clock

Prep breakfasts

Pick out outfit/jewelry etc night before

Drink a glass of water before I can have coffee/tea in the a.m.*

Morning yoga*

Nailed it again. This morning's flow I did "Strength". I ran out of breakfasts this morning so I will need to prep tonight (because I was lazy Sunday and didn't do any meal prep).

Also going to need to prep 1-2 more meals for this week. Looks like I'm heading out to Denver next week for work, so any nerds in the area hit me upppppp!!!!!

• Like 11