• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood 21: Gaining Ground

leilkCw.jpg

The War on Sugar continues.  I've lost a few battles here and there but I'm slowly winning the war, and this challenge is dedicated to keeping up recent momentum to continue gaining ground.  My strategy has always been to control what I put in the (largest) hole in my face, to beat my body into submission with copious strength and cardio exercise, and to recover properly with nightly sleep and timely breaks in the program.  I see no reason for drastic changes right now.  I'm still in the final third of my previous six-week program which will wrap up at the end of challenge week 1, and at that time I'll prepare a new program with minor tweaks to the individual goals.  Unless it proves too confusing, that is.  We'll see how this all pans out.

• Drink.  I'm only drinking water, all day every day.  I don't do coffee or tea, so if I let myself get mindless about beverages then I'll be completely undisciplined with sodas, which are my favorite alternative to water.  Until I reach a sustainable body composition I'm keeping it strictly to H2O.  Club sodas are permitted, but anything with calories and anything with artificial sweeteners is forbidden.
  • Eat.  I'll be programming my usual zig-zag calorie regimen of 80% Paleo-ish eating.  The keep track of my overall nutrition I'll continue to measure my portions and log everything in MyFitnessPal.  Daily calorie targets are set based on my current composition and activity levels, and I've populated them in to my usual spreadsheet for tracking challenge goals.
  • Exercise.  M-W-F are strength days wherein I'm currently doing a tweaked version of 5x5 with barbells after a prolonged warm-up of BBWW circuits.  T-Th I've been walking and running respectively.  Sat-Sun are rest days and could flex to absorb a slipped workout if I decide to take a mid-week rest day.
  • Rest.  Go to bed on time with all lights and devices off so I can get a full night's sleep.  I haven't been as strict with this one, so I'm making it a point of emphasis for this challenge.

I'm dropping "guitar" as an ancillary goal after Week 1, and I'm just going to focus on the four targets above.  I will continue with my practice regimen since I'm still part of the worship team at church, but I'm not making it a rigid thing this time.  I'm retaining the c-c-combo breaker concept as a way to get out of a failure spiral, but I'll be more flexible about what qualifies since it ends up being a largely reactionary event.

Progress will continue to be tracked on the spreadsheet(s); and weekly check-ins will consist of scale weight, waist measurements (at the navel and the belt-line), and progress photos.  At the end of this challenge I will go have my composition measured in the BODPOD for the first time since last summer so I'll know where I stand with respect to my goal line of 15% body fat.

That's it, clean and simple.  Let's (keep) do(ing) this thing.

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

My strategy has always been to control what I put in the (largest) hole in my face,

As opposed to the smaller holes in your face. You simply cannot control what you shove in your nostrils, I've heard the rumours ;)

Following :D 

• Like 6

Fight the good fight!  Wow - great job on cutting sodas out and sticking to water.  I remember your battle with sugar (ice cream especially) and I had conquered mine, but then it reared its ugly head again.  I swear if I can be off the sugar for 1 month, then I can resist and say no to cake and ice cream and not have cravings every night after dinner.  But man during my recovery at home, my Mom and Dad decided to stay a few days which meant dessert every night.  This coupled with a new Ina Garten cookbook was my downfall.  I hope to see you win this war!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LadyShello said:

Following!

Welcome!

49 minutes ago, deftona said:

As opposed to the smaller holes in your face. You simply cannot control what you shove in your nostrils, I've heard the rumours ;)

Following :D 

Those controls are both possible and necessary, but they're not part of my fitness strategy.  You can bet that if weight loss was attainable by nasal suppository then I'd have a column for it on the spreadsheet. :lol:

48 minutes ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Fight the good fight!  Wow - great job on cutting sodas out and sticking to water.  I remember your battle with sugar (ice cream especially) and I had conquered mine, but then it reared its ugly head again.  I swear if I can be off the sugar for 1 month, then I can resist and say no to cake and ice cream and not have cravings every night after dinner.  But man during my recovery at home, my Mom and Dad decided to stay a few days which meant dessert every night.  This coupled with a new Ina Garten cookbook was my downfall.  I hope to see you win this war!

Yes ice cream is still my kryptonite, but it's been recruiting helpers for Team Subversive.  The War has expanded to include Sugar, Nuts, and Artificial Sweeteners as the Axis of Evil.

Nothing would stomp my goals as hard as a good cook book and some mandatory down time.  That's how I got into Japanese cheesecake trouble last year. :D

34 minutes ago, Ensi said:

tumblr_mp9zsj66ix1soh2uxo1_500.gif

You're not going solo to this war! Following :D

Han%20Solo%20Wink%20Gif.gif

Victory is certain, it's just a matter of time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DrFeelgood said:

That's it, clean and simple.  Let's (keep) do(ing) this thing.

Love it. 

Following off course

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along again!

1 hour ago, Terah said:

Love it. 

Following off course

I'm pleased and honored to have y'all aboard. :)  Hopefully we stay on course, Terah. ;)

W5D1 - 2/4.  As it was Easter Sunday I suspended all hostilities and enjoyed the day with my family.  MFG still wasn't fully recovered from her weekend illness and elected to stay home from church.  I gathered up the Minions and trucked them off to services, then we came home to a brunch of ham, potato, and cheese casserole into which I face-planted with aplomb.  After relaxing for a bit (while MFG helped Boomer make an apple pie and caramel sauce) I got to work on the blue guitar, which was finally ready for leveling and polishing.  I did the first two wet-sanding stages with 500 and 1000 grits yesterday and then set it aside to rest so I could decorate some eggs with the kids.  Then we watched the Wild drop Game 3 to St. Louis (there's very little hope for my bracket now) while I prepped a lovely standing rib roast for dinner.  We served it with mashed potatoes and a side salad, and the kids (who had never eaten rib roast before) were in awe of my skills. ;)  It was good, but I definitely should've dry-aged it longer than 12 hours.  I ate so much dinner and pie (and casserole, and chips and queso) that even though we did an entire Easter without candy in any form I still managed to crack 5,000 kcal for the day. :D

After dinner we watched Pete's Dragon (the old one, so they could compare it to the new one) and talked to Nana (my mom) on the phone.  That brought us to the kids' bedtimes, so MFG and I settled in and got caught up on the most recent three episodes of Supernatural, and I did some relatively-quiet practice with the electric guitar unplugged We were already up late, so I stayed up a little later masking off the Timmycaster's neck to prep it for sanding sealer today.  Then I headed up to bed around 11:30.

The feasting was worth it, even if I'm feeling a bit wonky from all the sugar.  Today began with another period of fasting, and I fully intend to embrace some pain at the gym this afternoon before heading home to make more progress with my guitar projects.  I'm already plenty tired from a truncated night's sleep, so hopefully tonight's bedtime will be easy to achieve.  I've got my sights set on a perfect day today as a reset from yesterday's mini-break. :)

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

Hopefully we stay on course, Terah. ;)

Whahaha, English is such a tricky language :D 

That sounds like a delicious and fun Easter

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RedStone said:

A mighty chart indeed!!! :D 

Thanks!  I'm always proud of my spreadsheets, and this is one of the few places where my nerd skills are appreciated. ;)

3 hours ago, Terah said:

Whahaha, English is such a tricky language :D 

That sounds like a delicious and fun Easter

I'm sure my efforts at Dutch would amuse and frighten you. :)

I'm going boldly out on a limb here and claiming total victory for W5D2 before it's even over.  I think I'm going to need the accountability of potentially looking stupid tomorrow morning to keep me from behaving like a dumbass for the rest of tonight.  It's been a good day so far, and I don't want to mess it up.  All I need to do is practice guitar and get to bed on time without eating or drinking anything else.

Piece of cake. B)

Did someone say cake?  WAR!!!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

I'm sure my efforts at Dutch would amuse and frighten you. :)

Probably.

Let me give you a first lesson

9 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Piece of cake. B)

This is translated to "eitje", meaning 'little egg' in Dutch. 

As this is more nutritionally responsible, I advise you to use this expression in the future ;) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Piece of cake. B)

Did someone say cake?  WAR!!!

The suspense is killing me.  I'm putting my money on you to beat the cake! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LadyShello said:

The suspense is killing me.  I'm putting my money on you to beat the cake! 

It was a near thing, but I'm going to call it good. :)

W5D2 - 5/5.  Water goal was perfect for the day, and since I fasted through breakfast and lunch my only calories came from dinner (MFG's cheesesteak sandwich) and a double protein shake.  Workout was surprisingly excellent: I'm used to feeling like death when I exercise after fasting, but for some reason I was really cranking it out yesterday.  3xBBWW was done in 12 minutes, then I did barbell squats 135 / 185 / 185 / 205 / 225 for 5 reps each with extra concentration on proper form.  I finished with 3x10 lat pull-downs at 120 with a bonus +2 on the last set before my form broke down.  My knee felt really good when I was done lifting and stretching, but it's back to being a total jerk today.

I spent the evening working on guitar projects and taking care of the Minions while MFG was out being social with her homeschooling mommies group.  The Carvin guitar progressed with wet-sanding 1500 and 2000 grits, all that remains is 2500 followed by rubbing compound and the final polish.  It's looking so glassy.  B)  The Timmycaster neck got its badge, too:

tKoo3Co.jpg

I couldn't quite resist some mild snacking throughout the evening, but what I did eat was pinched from today's lunch that was already logged in MFP, so I'm counting it as a wash.  Guitar practice was perfunctory (just a few runs of scales up and down the fretboard), and if I was being more strict with that goal then I probably wouldn't count it--there just aren't enough hours in the evening to build two guitars and still have time to bother playing a third one.  I made good effort at bedtime, but MFG's weekend illness is trying to gain a toehold in my system and that meant I was playing the Game of Thrones for a bit past when I wanted to be asleep.

uQC1gxl.jpg

I'm taking today off work to (1) try and recover without delving into full-blown illness and (2) keep my co-workers safe from my household maladies.  I should be able to get all my fitnessing done today, so I'm still in the War and sticking to my program.

Little egg. :D

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

It was a near thing, but I'm going to call it good. :)

I figured it was a pretty safe bet.  Thanks for keeping my money safe. ;)   I hope you are successful in keeping the illness at bay.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

uQC1gxl.jpg

Brilliant! :D And great job with your workout! I'm getting interested in Stronglifts 5x5, too. It seems to be working fine for you :)

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:17 PM, LadyShello said:

I figured it was a pretty safe bet.  Thanks for keeping my money safe. ;)   I hope you are successful in keeping the illness at bay.

Oh, that bet was in danger all evening, but I eked out a win.  Good thing you didn't bet on two days in a row. ;)  I'm through the illness now.  Whatever it was, I didn't suffer nearly as much as MFG did all weekend.  I even was able to eat (a little too much) yesterday.

17 hours ago, Ensi said:

Brilliant! :D And great job with your workout! I'm getting interested in Stronglifts 5x5, too. It seems to be working fine for you :)

I was pleased with my Game of Thrones euphemism. :D  I think I must've won since I didn't die.

Stronglifts is an excellent way to start barbells, that's how I began in 2015.  I did 12 weeks just exactly the way it's written before moving on to an intermediate program (Wendler 5/3/1).  Since I'd been out of the gym for awhile I decided to begin this year with sort of a hybrid between the two.  I love it, but my knee is keeping me from pushing as hard as I'd like to.

W5D3 - 1/5.  I overate, skipped my walk, ignored guitar practice, and stayed up way too late.  The only goal I met was drinking water (and I've already bailed on that one for Day 4).  On the upside, I got a lot done with the Carvin project:  the final polishing came out nice (though there are more than a few sanding scratches left behind), and I reinstalled all of the hardware.  I'm still waiting on parts and tools to finish the electronics, and the rear of the guitar needs some touch up where paint chipped around the string ferrules.  But for now (and from the front) look at that shine. B)

40Cx437.jpg

Feeling under the weather was a poor excuse to indulge all of my cravings, but I'm choosing to look at it a different way: working on guitars kept me upright and moving for pretty much the whole day which is very different from my usual workday routine.  I'm going to call it a permissible variance and green it up on the spreadsheet anyway.  Even so, I'm invoking a combo-breaker to keep from spiraling out of control:  today's gym session will get an extra dose of BBWW--that's right 4 circuits before touching any weights. :)

Week 5 is teetering a bit on the rails, I need to settle down and get it straightened out.  Today's progress should take a few good steps in that direction.

• Like 6

W5D4 - 4/5.  That's better. :)  Apart from the DDP I drank with breakfast I hit all targets for the day, and even after the one DDP I stuck to drinking water.  Food was pretty light: breakfast was a Sausage McMuffin, lunch was leftover pork tenderloin with rice and oven-roasted carrots, and dinner was panko-crusted cod with sweet potatoes, rice, and broccoli.  I added a double protein shake to boost that macro and ended the day at 1781 kcal with 141g of protein.

Workout was good.  I did my regular warm-up then cranked out 4 circuits of BBWW...

combo-breaker-2.jpg

...before moving down to the weight floor.  All of the benches were taken so I started with seated cable rows at 140 for 3x10.  Once a bench finally opened up I pressed 140 / 160 / 180 / 200 / 220 for 5 reps each.  It felt a little sluggish, but I got 'em all done and headed home for dinner.

I did some home-office organizing in the evening before I had to run out and pick up Bubbles from youth group.  We ran a few quick errands afterward to buy groceries for MFG and some project supplies for myself.  We zipped back to the house where I got started with paint touch-up on the Carvin guitar; which needed a color chip repaired on the back followed by several drop fills of lacquer to fix voids in the topcoat.  Those are going to need to evaporate for a week or so before I can level and polish them out, but that's okay because I'm still in a holding pattern with that guitar while waiting on electronic parts.  By the time it's ready my newly-back-ordered single-cut electric guitar should arrive (I've got a bad case of G.A.S. :D) and will probably need some fine-tuning.  In between lacquer applications I did some practice drills on my other electric.  Then I cleaned everything up and headed up to bed on time with MFG.  It was a good day, and I'm anticipating another today.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Ahhhhhh...another good day.  Congrats!

19 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Good job turning that around.  The combo breaker worked! 

19 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Ooooh that guitar is beautiful!!!!!! You are really nailing your workouts too! I like the flexibility in your plan so you can succeed with hard work,  not perfection. :)

Thanks, y'all.  I'm feeling pretty good about the week, but I don't expect to have broken any barriers with my check-in tomorrow morning.  Still, it's been good progress. ;)

W5D5 - 4/5.  Another solid day in the books--I ate and drank well, practiced with gusto, and slept like I meant it. B)  Breakfast was a fruit smoothie; lunch was leftover fish with rice, broccoli, and sweet potato; dinner was MFG's Greek chicken and potatoes with a side of fasolakia (green beans with tomato sauce).  I had just a couple of pecan halves for a snack and called it a day just slightly over target at 1995 kcal with 124g of protein.  Smoothie days are always a bit low in protein.

I worked a little late and got home just in time for dinner before band practice, so I didn't get my run in; but honestly I don't think I'd have done it even if I had the time.  My knee is enjoying the lighter load and I'm going to suspend running for now to see if it improves.  For the foreseeable future I'm just going to walk 2 miles for cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Exercise was my only miss for the day, and I consider it well spent.

Band practice was quick and painless.  I got back home in time to play some Mario Kart 64 with Bubbles before getting to work on the Timmycaster (lacquering the headstock decal) and the Carvin (more drop-filling finish defects).  I cleaned up my project mess and headed upstairs on time for rituals and a decent night's sleep.

I got the shipping notice today for my new guitar, so now I'm hawking the tracking page to see when it will be delivered.  :D  I wasn't expecting it to even be in stock for over another week, and I'm pumped it's going to arrive early.  Hopefully it doesn't need too much TLC to get running correctly out of the box.

7wUdrVl.gif

Today is going to be a good day. :)

• Like 7