• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood 21: Gaining Ground

W6D3 - 4/5.  Much better.  Eating was fine, but my water broke again ;) due to morning DDP.  That will probably be the case for the next few days while I'm still all sleep-wonky from Sunday's craziness.  I skipped breakfast and went with an early lunch of leftover pork chops with broccoli and sweet potatoes.  Dinner was a huge helping of MFG's beef stew.  I had a peanut-butter KIND bar in the afternoon for a snack which brought the day's total to around 1800.

My combo-breaking walk was clean and effective.  I did 4km at a 4.0 mph pace, which took approximately one and a half episodes of How I Met Your Mother.  Last night's episode reminded me of something--it's time I confessed a slight man-crush that was one of my inspirations to finally get started with this whole fitness adventure in the first place.  From now on we'll be referring to Manganiello Monday in this thread. B)

giphy.gif

Fun Fact: I'm 366 days younger than him. :D

After I trimmed the dowel plug I used to repair the damage on it, I did another round of practice on the new guitar while the body filler cured out.  Then I sanded it fairly smooth to prep it for paint repair.  It's coming along great!  I love playing it.  Then I drilled out a template for the electronic controls on the Carvin and temporarily mounted the new switches and pots so I can solder them together outside the guitar--that should make it easier to avoid mistakes and will protect the finish from any splatter.  Soldering will probably start tomorrow since tonight is going to be busy.  I buttoned everything up and took Brick through Chapter 2 of our birds-and-bees book, then I headed up to bed on time with MFG.

It was a good day back on plan, and even though it's going to take quite a while to reverse the weekend's setbacks I'm encouraged to still be moving ahead.  Next up is a combined gym session to make up for Monday's missed squats along with today's planned bench press.  Time to get strong!

12HW10.gif

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

it's time I confessed a slight man-crush that was one of my inspirations to finally get started with this whole fitness adventure in the first place.  From now on we'll be referring to Manganiello Monday in this thread. B)

giphy.gif

You could have picked worse :DD This gave me a flashback to the time I went to see Magic Mike XXL in the movies, and there were only teenage girls there, and I felt like an old creep going there alone. Good times!

And good job getting back on track. It's hard, but hey: practice makes perfect :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ensi said:

You could have picked worse :DD This gave me a flashback to the time I went to see Magic Mike XXL in the movies, and there were only teenage girls there, and I felt like an old creep going there alone. Good times!

Wow, you can tell I have a calorie goal these days. I was too busy looking at the food in the background instead of the man meat. I have no idea what a Caramel Cream is but I know I want one. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ensi said:

MFG usually responds the same way when I destroy her Cheetos. :D  Also, she doesn't know it yet but she's thanking you in advance for teaching me that dance.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, deftona said:

Wow, you can tell I have a calorie goal these days. I was too busy looking at the food in the background instead of the man meat. I have no idea what a Caramel Cream is but I know I want one. 

573d2b02f552663b3a96598a93c6f636.jpg

They're actually super bland, the "cream" has a gritty texture and the caramel has no structure at all.  I don't like them, and I have snooty feelings about people who give them out as Halloween candy.

I'll grudgingly eat one from the candy dish if it's all there is and I'm sugar-jonesing too hard to ignore. :D

W6D4 - 4/5.  I'm still keeping it light, so I didn't do the little zag day and just stuck to my regular target.  Breakfast was a double Sausage McMuffin with DDP; lunch was leftover beef stew over rice; dinner was MFG's green chile chicken enchilada casserole that we took to the new small group potluck we visited, and I added a side of rice and beans and a bit of guacamole brought by the other folks.  The only other item was a pre-workout chocolate square (I've been missing those) to round out the day at 1948 kcal; and I think MFP is severely overestimating MFG's beef stew, so it's probably even lighter than that.

Workout was okay.  Since I needed to get home on time to shower before small group I omitted the make-up squats and just did my regular Wednesday routine: dynamic warm-up, 3xBBWW, bench press 135 / 155 / 185 / 205 for 5 each then 225 for only 4 (boo), then seated cable rows of 160 lbs for 3x10.  I felt tired, weak, flabby, and just all around blargh; but I got it done.

The evening was a time-crunch.  I got in the door just in time to shower then get dressed again and head right back out.  Group was nice--it's made up of younger couples who have a couple of small kids and more on the way, so MFG and I were definitely the old people in attendance. ;)  It may not be the right fit for us, but the people were lovely and we'll give it another shot next week to meet the other group members who couldn't make it last night.  After group we made a shopping run and then headed home.  We got the kids settled in for the night and I started the next phase of patching the LTD--the nail polish fill worked beautifully.  By that time I was ready for bed so MFG and I headed up on time.

Another good day in the books.  I'm all out of DDP so today should be back on track completely.

• Like 5

W6D5 - 5/5.  Close enough, I'm going to make some soft allowances and call it a perfect day:  eating, guitar practice, and bedtime all get asterisks.  Water goal was good, though I certainly felt the lack of caffeine; breakfast was eggs and toast; lunch was leftover stew with rice, and I added my last serving of smoked brisket out of the freezer to meatify it a bit since the stew at this point is mostly gravy; dinner was leftover green-chile chicken enchiladas.  My desire to stop eating after dinner was not sufficient to actually stop eating, so I ended up adding a fair amount of food throughout the evening.  I'm not counting any of that against D5; instead I'm counting it as breakfast for D6.  I think this appetite flux I'm in is a consequence of all the diet soda I drank earlier this week.  It should even out soon, but it's going to require some added discipline for the weekend.  Total for the day is 1940* kcal.

Workout was good.  I walked 4km on the treadmill again, only I ended up running the last half mile at a pretty good pace since my bladder wasn't going to hold out. :D  My knees seem to be tolerating it okay today.  I got some perfunctory guitar practice in while working on the LTD repairs, which are now done:

mcd6EUs.jpg

It's not perfect, but it looks better than I hoped it would.  I'm still really pleased with this guitar.  I did another birds-and-bees chapter with Brick before he went to bed.  While I was cleaning up all my project mess MFG and I watched the new Fantastic Beasts movie because the kids have been wanting to watch it and we needed to preview it for appropriateness.  It ran just a bit past bedtime, but I had the lights out by 11 so I'm calling it good enough.

The third belt notch is making a strong showing lately, somehow even with all the undisciplined eating I'm still recomping.  I do not expect scale results tomorrow, but I'm happy with the way my shape is moving.  Onward!

• Like 8

23 hours ago, LadyShello said:

An asterisked win is still a win!  Great job on the guitar fix.  Looks great. 

That's how I'm looking at it.  It certainly beats the middling mode I've been in all week.  And thanks for the compliment. :)

18 hours ago, Terah said:

That guitar looks beautiful! I'm impressed with your wood working skills ;)  

Thanks, I'm pleased with how it turned out.  Y'all only get to see my successes though--I've never photographed the piles of failure. ;)

48 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I think you're ready for this now

Oh yeah, that one is on the list.  Last night I was working on this:

:D

• Like 4

W6D6 - 3/4.  I made a small modification to end my 6-week program by moving the last workout to Saturday in order to knock out all the work I missed this week in a slow and careful manner.  In fact, I'm headed to the gym just as soon as this update posts. ;)

Water goal was good, but eating ran over target and just a tad above maintenance.  Breakfast was counted as the previous night's snacking, so I already started the day hungry.  Lunch was the last serving of leftover beef stew and rice.  MFG had found some marked-down beef tri tip steaks during her grocery run on Thursday so I sliced and marinated them for a satay-inspired peanut curry to prepare for family dinner.  It was really tasty, and I ate a bit too much.  That didn't prevent me from snacking on a slice of buttered sourdough toast and a bit of MFG's Shark-Week chocolate. :D

Guitar practice was epic.  Now that I've got two of them running I was able to work on some different songs in non-standard tunings.  "Panama" is coming along nicely.  I also found a blues-lead series by the same Youtube channel my son is watching for his beginner lessons.  That's really going to broaden my playing.  By the end of this weekend I should have the Carvin all wired up and screaming again, so that'll be three back in commission with just the Timmycaster left to work on.  I'll be glad to take my time starting over with that one.

Bedtime was on time after my monster practice session.  I slept pretty well until the storm that was supposed to hit last night finally arrived early this morning.  It was uneventful and I let the family keep sleeping while I snoozed through the morning.

Final check-in for this six-weeks will be tomorrow morning, and then I'm going to take an easy week to recover and build my next program.  And now, I'm off to get swol. B)

• Like 7

W6D7 - 5/5.  That really was a perfect day.  I kicked all the butts available and then went looking for more. B)  Water goal was perfect.  Eating was better than perfect; due to Friday's massive curry dinner I didn't need (or even want) breakfast on Saturday, so lunch and dinner were my only meals.  Lunch was the leftover curry (super tasty and incredibly filling).  Dinner was tacos, but I made a bowl of taco fixin's without tortillas and ate it as a salad.  I added a couple slices of high-fiber toast with butter earlier in the day for, um, purposes; and then I indulged in a small cinnamon roll for dessert since there was more than enough room in the plan.  Total ended up at 1883 kcal with 118g of protein.

Workout was outstanding and just one lift short of phenomenal.  After standard warm-up and 3 moderately-intense circuits of BBWW I found a squat rack and started my pyramid, but somehow I miscounted my weights and ended up lifting much higher than I had planned.  The knee felt good so I just went with it.  Squat was 185 / 205 / 225 / 245 for five reps each and finished with 265 for seven.  That felt great.  I stayed at that rack and did OHP of 95 / 105 / 115 / 125 for five reps each and finished with 135 for six.  That's still my weakest lift in trying to get back where I was last year, but this was the best I've done this year with it.  Since the knee was feeling good I did a small and easy deadlift of 225 for 5 to warm-up then 315 once before attempting 405.  It didn't go and I left it there.  In hindsight I wish I'd deloaded to 365 for a lift, but the day was getting on and I wanted to get home for lunch.  I finished up with lat pull-downs at 120 for 3x10 and stretched my calves real good before heading home.

Since it was another stormy day we didn't do any family outings.  Instead I stayed home watching hockey with the boys while working on guitars.  Since the LTD is running well now I decided to unblock the tremolo on my Ibanez (the one I've been playing all this time) and set it up for Eb tuning.  The dang trem wouldn't return to pitch so I set it aside until new strings arrive (should be today) so I can investigate it a bit more--my hunch is the strings are binding in the nut slot.  Following that I did a monster practice session with the LTD which is also going to get an overhaul of the setup when new strings arrive.  Once the hockey games were over MFG and I got caught up on our TV watching before heading up to bed on time.  It was an awesome day and a perfect way to stamp "DONE" on the six-week program. :)

Final check-in and program wrap-up incoming...

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

It was an awesome day and a perfect way to stamp "DONE" on the six-week program. :)

Woohoo!  Great job.  

• Like 1

Week 6 Check-in.  I didn't get all Way of Pain™ on the week, but I made a decent run at breaking those barriers.  As it happens I landed right on them.  :D  Scale weight was 220.0 lbs. Waist measurement was 40" on the dot.  Belt line circumference came down a little, too, to settle at just over 37".  Everything is moving in the right direction at a rate consistent with my disciplines.

large.5905f5a8d0704_Side20170430.jpg.68b871fc654e4249c2a1cb8e9929c053.jpg

Things are still slowly trimming up, and I'm feeling better.  This picture keeps me honest since in my head all I see is the swollen beast in the mirror at the squat rack. ;)  Weight has been pretty consistent over the last few weeks, and even though it still looks like a stall on the graph I think it's more accurate to say I've been in inadvertent maintenance during that period.

large.5905ebb554f90_2017WeightGraph.JPG.6d8efcb24e9e1ac1647d79c1784e303c.JPG

Either way it's still a new low for 2017, and I'm glad to have it.

That wraps up this six-week program, and I'm enjoying the return to this format.  It seems to even out my temperament when I'm not refreshing quite as often.  Certainly my spreadsheets look a little more consistent than recently, and I'm anxious to run another six-weeker and improve on the weak spots of this go 'round.  But first I'm going to take a week off for some easy exercise and moderately un-disciplined eating while I build my next program with the things I learned:

1.  Weekends are still a dietary trap for me.  I can certainly stick to the program when I'm concentrating on it, but I have a tendency to relax when I'm at home and that makes for undisciplined food choices.

2.  I've been bad about unaccountable snacking, particularly with nuts and dried fruit during pantry raids.  I need to tighten up my tracking to account for those calories.

3.  Walking helps my knees without subverting my goals.  For the foreseeable future I'm going to avoid running even though I've come to enjoy the challenge.

4.  It's gotten better, but I still have a bad habit of staying up too late because I can't let things rest.  Whether it's a project or an adulting thing or just a craving for entertainment I struggle to let things remain undone overnight.  Next time will contain special emphasis on bedtime somehow incorporating this knowledge.

5.  The guitar goal has been good for my playing, but it's also gotten a bit stale.  It's not inspiring me to progress anymore, rather it's become an obligation to fulfill.  I'm going to dump it as a "fitness" goal and instead try to find a structured program to follow for the time being.

This thread might go a bit silent this week, but I'll absolutely be back and raring to go for my next kick-off. :)

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

I've been bad about unaccountable snacking, particularly with nuts and dried fruit during pantry raids.

I read this as panty raids. :)   

• Like 5

I'm late but I made it! 

Looking good Doctor! Keep it up! Remember, I'm looking to you for inspiration, so no pressure, right? (*All the pressure*)

• Like 1

You did excellently. Mr DFG, it's nice to see you back and excited about your achievements. Looking forward to what you have planned next time around so enjoy your week of mild undiscipline and panty raids ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

Looking good Doctor! Keep it up! Remember, I'm looking to you for inspiration, so no pressure, right? (*All the pressure*)

Hope you weren't looking yesterday, that amount of ice cream could only be inspirational to normal people who want to induce diabetic comas and gastric distress. :D  Glad you're back from your cruise safe and sound.

2 hours ago, deftona said:

You did excellently. Mr DFG, it's nice to see you back and excited about your achievements. Looking forward to what you have planned next time around so enjoy your week of mild undiscipline and panty raids ;)

Thanks, def.  I'd say I did well enough to want to do better, and that in itself is all the success I needed.  I don't think I'll need the entire week for recovery, but I intend to enjoy each of my departures from the program with the exception of the pant(r)y ;) raids--I'm going to start working on that discipline right away since I want it under control by the next starting line.

2 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

158.jpg

Are those Okie panties, or is Steve Martin auditioning for a part in the live-action Underpants Gnomes movie that (I assume) is being shopped around Hollywood? ;)

True story, I bought new briefs yesterday.  They are not white, neither are they vast, but they are tighty (I love me some support in crucial areas)--in fact they're the same size as the new ones I bought when I made it under 200 lbs, so that's a minor victory for me.  I also got a new belt in a slightly smaller size, which means I'm back to the working from the first notch again.  Just more room to shrink. :D

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

Hope you weren't looking yesterday, that amount of ice cream could only be inspirational to normal people who want to induce diabetic comas and gastric distress. :D  Glad you're back from your cruise safe and sound.

I wasn't looking yesterday... I also ate my fill of ice cream. I made homemade ice cream for game night. I wanted to use some of the vanilla extract I brought home from Mexico. It was very tasty though!

11 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

Are those Okie panties, or is Steve Martin auditioning for a part in the live-action Underpants Gnomes movie that (I assume) is being shopped around Hollywood? ;)

Depends on what part of Oklahoma you are in I think... 

• Like 1