• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood 21: Gaining Ground

Ah, it's been an epic few days of feasting and slothing, but I think it's time to step back in to the game.  I'm invoking a treadmill combo breaker for this afternoon to get steered back in the right direction.

The last few days have been consumed by sugar, guitars, a monster cheeseburger, and more sugar--mostly in the way of ice cream. :D  Last night I got to craving a caramel sundae from McDonalds before I realized that I had all of the ingredients sitting in my kitchen:  leftover vanilla ice-cream from Boomer's blueberry pie extravaganza, leftover caramel sauce from Easter dessert (yes, I still haven't thrown it out), and leftover roasted peanuts from Friday's satay-inspired curry.  The upside is that it spared me an outing and let me keep my dollar.  The downside is that I consumed the equivalent of five McD's sundaes. :lol:  Oh well, that's what this week is for.

MFG had a ladies' craft night to attend yesterday, so I skipped the gym in order to get home on time for the parenting swap.  I kept the kids entertained with episodes of Mr. Bean while I did some restringing of the LTD and the Ibanez.  Set-up on the LTD gave me fits and kept me up until well after midnight, then I stayed up even later watching Netflix and updating computers.  I'm nursing a 2-liter of real actual Dr Pepper today to maintain a caffeine buzz so I don't fall asleep at my desk. ;)  Oh well, that's what this week is for.

On Sunday I spent the entire afternoon slowly and methodically wiring all the electronics in the Carvin, then I strung it back up and cranked the volume.  It's singing quite nicely and looks really sharp.  It is in need of some set-up tweaking as well, but I could gig with it pretty confidently right now.  That makes three back in various stages of playable commission, and I'm pretty close to having them all set up the way I want them.  Then I can take my time to focus solely on redoing the Timmycaster--probably while MFG takes a long summer break to visit her mom with the kids.

Tonight I'm going to work on a craft project with Bubbles and probably do some more guitar stuff.  Tomorrow I'll start building my next fitness program and get back to the War on Sugar, et al.  I'm not focused on scale weight this week, but I still don't want to see ridiculous numbers to kick off the next round.

• Like 7

On 5/2/2017 at 1:24 PM, DrFeelgood said:

Ah, it's been an epic few days of feasting and slothing, but I think it's time to step back in to the game.

Two of my favorite past times. 

115b75ced11e32ab9b26ef84625313ef.gif

tumblr_m0afdxYVEw1qhy6c9o3_250.gif

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:23 PM, Korranation said:

Two of my favorite past times. 

tumblr_m0afdxYVEw1qhy6c9o3_250.gif   115b75ced11e32ab9b26ef84625313ef.gif

Mine too. :)  So much so that I let it ride for the rest of the week. :D

By Saturday morning I was 5 lbs over last week's check-in, and by the unqualified end of festivities last night my scale weight was a whopping 229.1 lbs. :o  For those who aren't keeping score that's a 9.1 pound upswing in seven and a half days.  I am definitely not a hard gainer.  In fact I've spent decades training my body to store fat, so it's no surprise that it's really good at doing so. ;)

That was (mostly) nice.  And now I'm ready to get cracking on the next objective in the War on Sugar.  This week is just for getting back in the mode, and it will be a bit truncated since we're traveling this weekend to see my brother's family and so MFG can attend a conference.  Then next week I'll start with another six-week program that will carry over through the following NF challenge.  First thing on tap for today is a nice easy session of squatting to wake up the muscles and refresh the gym-pulse.  I'm also fasting until dinner today as a combo-breaker for dietary disciplines.  If I can buckle down on a reasonable bedtime tonight then by tomorrow morning I should be back in the swing of my routine.

• Like 4

Week Whatever Day Something - 4/4.  :D

I'm all out of sync with challenge schedules and my own program, but I guess we're in Week 3 now even though I took a Zero Week last week and my new Week 1 doesn't start until next week.

I'm reasonably confident that yesterday was Monday, so let's just stick with that.  It was a Tanktimus day.  ;)  I stuck to my fast until the end of my workday, at which time I enjoyed two squares of dark chocolate for pre-workout purposes.  As soon as I got home I downed a protein shake.  For dinner I ate an entire homemade pizza (ham and pineapple, delish) since Bubbles had her friend over for the day and they wanted to cook something together.  I didn't snack on anything else and so completed my day at around 1400 kcal.  Water was good all day, too.

Workout was pitiful.  Due to the week off, fasting, allergies, and poor sleep the night before I was just completely exhausted.  I don't think I've ever had a workout wear me out that much, and it wasn't particularly demanding.  I started with my usual warm-up, then I got cranking on 3 circuits of BBWW.  The first one didn't seem so tough, the second one left me gasping, and the third one might have actually (briefly) killed me.  When my vision cleared enough to move down to the weight floor I started with 2x10 OHP of 95 lbs before a squat rack opened up.  I hurried over to claim it and did 135 / 185 / 185 / 185 / 225 for 5 reps each, then I finished my OHP with a single set of 5 at 135 lbs.  Needing to get home I skipped out on lat pull downs, but I did get some stretching done at the end.

The evening was restful.  I ate dinner, did a bit of adulting on the home PC (not that kind, pervs), then crashed on the sofa for a couple hours of televegetation.  I put the kids to bed, prepared a Mother's Day card for my mom, then headed upstairs for bed on time.  It wasn't the greatest night's sleep, but I'm back on schedule as of this morning.

As of this morning the scale says 223.5 lbs, and that's probably a good picture of what I actually gained during last week's Slothfest.  It shouldn't be too hard to bounce back from that and get cranking on new lows in the next 6 weeks, with the caveat that this weekend involves a road trip to my brother's place during which we will birthday once and Mother's Day once in addition to In-n-Out Burger-ing (protein-style) at least once. :)  That's also going to cramp my gym time this week, but I'll try to stay active on our trip for some extra burn.  All that said to say I probably will start the next 6-week program somewhere between 223 and 220; but regardless of the start I fully intend to end it below 210. B)

New program spreadsheet has been added (here if you've turned off forum signatures).  Last time I ran calorie deficits for a long period I crashed and burned pretty hard, then I did a reverse-diet to rebuild my metabolism.  This time I'm going to initiate the reverse-diet protocol based on time instead of progress, so I'll slowly increase my calorie intake over the next few months until it reaches maintenance levels at my calculated metabolic max (around 2800 kcal/day).  That might mean slower weight loss, or it might not.  I'm not entirely sure how my body is going to respond, but I'm confident that I will avoid a nasty crash and burn.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I don't know how to interpret this given the context of the rest of the post.

That is to say, it was a good day. :)

Since I do my updates in arrears it doesn't quite work to say "Today is a good day"; and if I'm going to parrot you (slightly modified) then I figured you deserved a cite.  Sorry for leaving it ambiguous. ;)  It wasn't an easy day, but it was a good day.

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:56 PM, jmk said:

When are you going to play us some tunes?

When my rhythm section is all grown up.  We're going to call ourselves DFG and the Minions. :D

I don't have anything worth recording at the moment--I'm still slowly learning technique and the church playlist.  It would be fun to do some arrangements, but that's getting ahead of myself.

WW(hatever)DT(uesday) - 3/4.  I was on track for all goals but my metabolism went crazy after dinner and I couldn't satisfy it no matter how much extra nutrition I threw at it.  Typically that amount of after-dinner eating (not even snacking) would leave me bloated and feeling terrible, but I woke up this morning like a hummingbird and still managed to pull the new belt to its second notch.  I have no idea what's going on, but I appreciate it. ;)  Anyway breakfast was a fruit smoothie; lunch was leftover chicken tikka on jasmine rice (why did it take me so long in life to discover this dish?); I had a protein shake and a string cheese snack after exercising; then dinner was MFG's pork loin chops with oven-roasted carrots and salad.  My after-dinner foodstuffs included two more string cheeses, a handful of pecans, a peanut butter sandwich, a grilled-cheese sandwich, and a bowl of Cheerios.  That all finally did the trick.  I'm counting about half of that as pre-breakfast for today, so it's likely that both days will be over target.  I'm not bothered since it seems to be working.

Exercise was a 4K walk on the treadmill immediately after work.  I completed it in 37:16 and then did nothing for most of the rest of the evening.  There was a decent guitar practice session which put a kink in my back, but other than that I went back in to sloth mode--when I wasn't making food, that is.  Water was good all day, and after watching a few episodes of Frasier I was able to get up to bed on time.

Today will be my last workout day of the week, so I've got bench and deadlift lined up at the gym this afternoon.  Should be a good one.

• Like 5

WWDW - 4/4.  Now that's what I call winning.  Water goal was on target.  Food was just fine.  After ruling the previous night's extra meal in to breakfast for Wednesday I stuck to my plan for lunch (the last of the chicken tikka) and dinner (MFG made a huge omelet with ham, cheese, and bacon) before adding a protein shake and calling it good just shy of 2250 kcal with 175g of protein.  Not bad at all.

Workout was really good, too.  After standard warm-up and 3xBBWW I decided to try a 12-10-8-6-4 progression (I think I read somewhere that this is part of how Andy Dwyer turned into Star-Lord.) for bench press starting with 135 lbs and increasing by 20 for each set.  I went 12-10-8-5 through 195 lbs then just added fractionals for the final set at 200 lbs, which also went for 5 reps.  After that it was time to deadlift, so I did 225 / 315 for 5 each then loaded up 365 for a single lift which was more dicey than it should have been.  Still I made a clean lift with good form, but I didn't have it in me to attempt more reps after that.

The evening was nice.  I spent some time just lounging and talking with MFG and the boys while Bubbles was at youth group.  We marked a few new shows to watch later on Netflix and Amazon.  They kids were all working on birthday presents for their uncle (my "little" brother is turning 37) whom we're going to visit this weekend.  After I put the boys to bed and said their prayers with them I packed my bag for the trip and then just relaxed with MFG.  She got a truly epic back massage, and by the time I was done she was purring like a kitty. B)  I, on the other hand, had some difficulty actually falling asleep; so I resumed my current run of Frasier on Netflix until I was tired enough to zonk out.  I'm still counting it as a win.

Scale this morning read 222.0--it must really like that number because I've seen it a lot recently. :D  Things are still rebounding from last week's hijinks, but I'm about to embark on a long weekend without my usual routine.  I'm trying hard to plan smart choices ahead of time, but I'm not going to needlessly restrict myself either.  Even though it would be great to start my next lifting cycle at precisely where I left off the last one it won't kill me if I have to spend the first week or two playing catch-up.  Things should really get moving in June, but that'll be a chapter for the next challenge.

Week Whatever continues!  I'll keep tabs on y'all this weekend but probably won't be updating much.  When I return it'll be Go Time.

• Like 8

back.gif

What a great weekend!  I'm so exhausted from all the time off that I need another vacation day just to recover from the break. ;)  Just about everything went according to plan; I'm not sure that's ever happened before.  I'll try to keep the recap brief...

Thursday.  Standard work day before heading home and getting on the road.  I had eggs on toast and a smoothie for breakfast, then I ate a low-carb double whopper (no bun, no sauces) from Burger King for lunch.  I snacked on a single chocolate square in the afternoon at work, then for dinner I ate half a rotisserie chicken (no skin) and two cups of steamed broccoli.  I didn't do any exercise since we were road tripping for the rest of the evening, and I didn't bother trying to get to bed on time.  Water was good for the day.

Friday.  We started with breakfast at Denny's (it's an American institution, and my kids had never been) before taking MFG to the convention center.  I ate a Grand Slam breakfast with hash browns substituted for pancakes.  It was reasonably compliant.  The kids and I took an informal tour of the Dallas Cowboys' stadium then headed over to Ikea for a little shopping.  We went by the hockey store to let them shoot a few pucks in the stick-demo cage, then we met up with my brother for lunch at In n Out.  I had a 3x3 with grilled onions protein style that was also quite compliant.  Early afternoon was a bit of lounging and video-gaming (yay Rocket League), then we headed to Top Golf with the boys for a couple hours of amusement.  I made cheese enchiladas for dinner (brother's birthday request) and stayed very sensible with my totals.  Water was subverted by Diet Pepsi while golfing.  We watched Moana at night then put the kids down so Bro and I could head out to his very late (midnight) indoor soccer game.  I warmed up with him for a bit of bonus exercise.  Bedtime was extremely late. :D

Saturday.  MFG and her friend stayed overnight at the convention location, so the kids and I started Saturday morning off with eggs for breakfast.  Then we headed out to purchase her Mother's Day cards and gifts.  We got back to the house with enough time to let them make their handmade cards, then we headed out to Girl-Cousin's (GC) ice-hockey practice.  They had a public skate session at the same time (on the other rink) so I rented skates for my whole family and took my kids out for their very first ice-skating lessons.  Boy-Cousin (BC) joined us.  By the end they were all doing pretty good, though Boomer was discouraged by repeated falls and injuries.  I was pleased to see that the intervening 12 years since I last strapped on a pair of skates hadn't degraded my skills too badly.  By the end of the hour we were exhausted, cold, sore, and grinning from ear to ear (even Boomer).  They all want to skate now, so I'm looking for inline skates we can use in Oklahoma.  Lunch was at McDonalds immediately after skating, so I splurged and ate one of my semi-annual Double Quarter Pounders (with cheese), enjoyed some fries, and drank a DDP.

Once back at the house we lounged for a little recovery, then Brother and I hit the mall to finish up the rest of our Mother's Day purchases (I bought MFG her favorite box of chocolates) and pick up some extras for dinner.  After that we took the kids to the pool for a couple of hours to make sure everyone was good and tired from the day's activities. :)  MFG and her friend arrived at the pool so we got to visit for a little while, and it saved me the drive (and tolls) to go pick her up, which was nice.  Back at the house, Brother and I teamed up to make about three dozen tacos with all the fixin's for dinner.  We turned our boys loose to play video games with BC, and the girls holed up in GC's room for social time,  Brother and I watched the hockey playoffs while I did some laundry to get stuff ready for Sunday.  It was another late night without a proper bedtime.

Sunday.  I slept as late as I could before needing to get up and start getting everyone ready for church.  We had scrambled eggs with skillet potatoes for breakfast.  The service was nice, and the message was a topical look into the lives of three women from the Bible.  Bro and SIL needed to stay for another service block, so I took my family out to treat MFG to donuts (I ate three :D) at Krispy Kreme (where I also bought "myself" a T-shirt that she will undoubtedly "borrow" :lol:) then we picked up the Chinese food that she wanted for lunch.  Back at the house we presented her with her cards and gifts, and I let the kids play with their cousins for a little longer while we collected our stuff and packed the van.  We left Bro's house a little earlier than planned because the weekend was finally catching up with me (my patience firmly flat-lined pretty suddenly after church) and I was ready to get home for some recovery prior to kicking off the work week.  We took the drive safe and easy (with a pair of Twinkies and a huge DDP to fuel me for the trip) then got home and put things in order for the coming week.  The bank register made me wince a bit at how expensive the weekend turned out, but it was definitely all worth it.

MFG drove-thru Taco Bueno to feed herself and the kids while I was still working on assembling our Ikea purchases with Brick, but I wasn't hungry anyways so I let them eat everything.  Later in the evening I made a run to the store with Bubbles to pick up some groceries for today's meals, and I grabbed a pack of chicken breasts so I could cook and eat one for dinner to try and get back in the no-sugar swing.  Naturally I ended up adding a pint of Rocky Road to the cart. ;)  And MFG shared a few of her chocolates with me before bed (which was late), too.  I'm definitely sugared-out.

Since yesterday was officially Day 1 of my new six-week program I didn't meet any of the goals on my spreadsheet.  Instead I marked each item with a "V" (for "Variance") so that it doesn't count as either a pass or a fail.  In War-on-Sugar terms I invited the enemy to a day of diplomacy so we could discuss the terms of continued hostilities.  As of this morning I'm mostly back on track, but I did opt for a DDP to give the day a starting boost.  I don't have initial stats or photos yet, but I'll do those tomorrow morning.  The weekend really only had one day that could be considered a setback, but I don't consider it such because I chose to live it up that day; so I'm still in good shape in terms of returning to setting new yearly highs (for lifting) and lows (for scale weight).  My waist is still comfortably within the second notch of my new belt, and I was even briefly able to gain the third on Saturday morning so I expect to have it permanently soon.  Things are looking good for another campaign in the War on Sugar.  I'm ready to fight!

p2wamyk6e7-t.jpg

• Like 6

It was very relaxing to read about your weekend! :D Welcome back to ze fight!

I tried to find you some Finnish Sisu information, but I only found this video:

In the beginning, the voice says "Suomalainen sisu", "Finnish sisu", and then the man starts yelling curses, and my absolute favourite line: "you won't f**ck my homeland for long, frost!! PERKELE!!!"

So uh YEAH! WELCOME BACK, PERKELE! :'D

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, deftona said:

Your long weekend sounds wonderful and perfect, but welcome back to the Way of Pain, my friend ;) 

It was a great time, and now it's great to be back.  I'm ready to finish this War and get started building the house again.

6 minutes ago, Ensi said:

It was very relaxing to read about your weekend! :D Welcome back to ze fight!

I tried to find you some Finnish Sisu information, but I only found this video:

In the beginning, the voice says "Suomalainen sisu", "Finnish sisu", and then the man starts yelling curses, and my absolute favourite line: "you won't f**ck my homeland for long, frost!! PERKELE!!!"

So uh YEAH! WELCOME BACK, PERKELE! :'D

I have no idea what's happening in that video, but from context I gather that Texans and Finns would get along very well. :lol:

Bonus pic of the ice-wrecking Feelgood clan. :D

PAJes4Q.jpg

• Like 6

Sorry I've been so absent recently, but I"m back! 

You guys look great! I'm glad you had fun on your vacation! Where did you go, exactly? I skimmed through the previous posts but only read completely through the last 3 or so... I'm not good at catching back up. 

Skating is so much fun! I used to go roller skating with my dad once a week when growing up. Good times... now I don't like going because of all the kids at the skating rinks. I'm not very good at skating on side walks. Maybe I should just learn to do that. :P 

• Like 1

Those were some well played variances.  Sounds like a lovely weekend and just enough so that you are ready for battle! 

ready-to-fight-bruce-lee.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RhiaWolfe said:

Sorry I've been so absent recently, but I"m back! 

You guys look great! I'm glad you had fun on your vacation! Where did you go, exactly? I skimmed through the previous posts but only read completely through the last 3 or so... I'm not good at catching back up. 

Skating is so much fun! I used to go roller skating with my dad once a week when growing up. Good times... now I don't like going because of all the kids at the skating rinks. I'm not very good at skating on side walks. Maybe I should just learn to do that. :P 

Glad you're back. :)

We went to visit my brother in the North Dallas area.  That picture is at the StarCenter rink in McKinney.

I'm pleased that my kids enjoyed it so much, and I'm proud of how hard they worked at it for the whole hour.  If we're able to do some inline skating here then it will probably be at an outdoor rink on Fort Sill that doesn't get used much anymore.  It would be a great place to learn, and I'd have a ton of fun teaching them not only how to skate but also how to play roller hockey.

• Like 2

At the gym now... Feel like I'm going to die... Don't want to finish...

#mustbedoingsomethingright

Edit to add:  Didn't die, may wish I had later.  Found the enemy, closed the gap, and destroyed him.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

At the gym now... Feel like I'm going to die... Don't want to finish...

#mustbedoingsomethingright

Edit to add:  Didn't die, may wish I had later.  Found the enemy, closed the gap, and destroyed him.

Great job! 

And your kids are perfect copies of you! :D Especially the one in the red jacket 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Terah said:

Great job! 

And your kids are perfect copies of you! :D Especially the one in the red jacket 

Thanks!

jUK8jGc.jpg

40 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That round window in the background makes it look like he's about to deliver a beatdown in the Shire.

Wait for it...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Glad you're back. :)

We went to visit my brother in the North Dallas area.  That picture is at the StarCenter rink in McKinney.

I'm pleased that my kids enjoyed it so much, and I'm proud of how hard they worked at it for the whole hour.  If we're able to do some inline skating here then it will probably be at an outdoor rink on Fort Sill that doesn't get used much anymore.  It would be a great place to learn, and I'd have a ton of fun teaching them not only how to skate but also how to play roller hockey.

Very cool! That sounds like a lot of fun with your kids! 

I mostly did roller skating. I think I've been ice skating once, maybe twice, in my life. It was fun, but different than roller skating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That round window in the background makes it look like he's about to deliver a beatdown in the Shire.

a36434f9785fe9b749805fd22eb53c26.gif

1 hour ago, DrFeelgood said:

Wait for it...

*screaming*

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'd pay to see him vs Gandalf

• Like 2