• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Very frustrated. The bike shop got the tire in, but it was the wrong size . So I'll be going back today. If it isn't in tonight, I'll drive the extra 20 minutes to the next shop down the road.

Foodwise, after work I kept getting junk food. I kept it under 1800 calories, which is where I need to be to lose a couple pounds a month, but I really shouldn't eat a chocolate bar I meant to last a week in 30 minutes just because I'm tire and frustrated. Could have been worse. I kept wandering into the kitchen to nibble some more,  but I had half a mango in the fridge, so I'd just cut a couple bites off of that instead of eating something unhealthy. I didn't get to the chips until that was gone, and there was only about an ounce of chips left in the bag, then I pulled myself out of it and went for a run.

The run was alternating 1 minute of walking, 1 minute of running, 20 minutes total, followed by 10 minutes of walking. That still overdid it, but I needed to do something out of the house and biking was out because it's after dark, and I wanted to use more energy than walking. 

Today is off to a better start just because I was able to ride my bike in. Yesterday morning was raining and I was running late, so I drove.

• Like 2

I've now got two nice quality tires on my mountain bike! One is installed backwards (oops), but I'll fix it tonight after I take the bike out for a ride. I'm planning on heading to an area I know extremely well on foot, which should keep me mostly out of trouble.

I've been slacking a bit on the cleaning, in part because I've got 3 bikes in my 400 sq ft apartment. I literally cannot get around my living room. I need to partially strip one of them for desirable parts, then donate the rest to an organization that'll fix it up. It's a good frame, just the wrong size for me. I should also get a stand so the remaining two bikes can be stacked, thus taking up half the space.

I've been very consistent about biking to work in good weather, and have even done one iffy weather day. I've been so-so on the strength workouts, and C210K hasn't been happening because I can't run for long enough just now.

In other news, caterpillar season is starting. I found one in my hair after walking at lunch yesterday. Here's hoping we keep getting rain this month, and a certain gypsy moth killing fungus is able to do its job.

• Like 1

I did not know people kept track of caterpillar season. That is kind of cool though!

Great job on the biking!

I'm behind on your thread. :barbershop_quartet_

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:10 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I did not know people kept track of caterpillar season. That is kind of cool though!

Great job on the biking!

I'm behind on your thread. :barbershop_quartet_

It's actually pretty important. I worked as an field biologist for a few years, and I had to know when the pests and monitored species came out because I had to know when to kill them or monitor them. Part of my job was literally to hike around and write down what was blooming. With gypsy moths, the most effective time to spray them is while they're baby caterpillars, before they've eaten all the leaves. So you need to watch the egg masses because if you wait until you see leaf damage, you'll have missed the first part of the window to control them.

• Like 1

Friday, I massively overate, probably a 1,000 calorie surplus. It's taking about 3 days to make up, so I'm not too happy about that. The only reason I ate like that was because it was raining and I was bored.

What does make me happy: I took out the mountain bike on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. I keep coming home with a huge smile on my face, even on Sunday, when I missed a hop onto a boardwalk and bruised myself on the bike instead.

I love being outdoors, I love the speed (faster than a walk) I love the extra concentration I need to find a reasonably smooth path. And doing the same trail twice, the second time I was able to do a few obstacles I had to skip the first time.

I'm also back to doing C25k. I restarted week 6, since I hadn't run for 2 weeks. I'm going to do day 2 tonight.

Between the biking and the running, I haven't been doing any strength training. I need to change that. I also need to improve my record on cleaning. I started strong on that goal, but its kind of petered out.

Tonight my goal is to clean for 20 minutes before I run, then do Simple and Sinister for 20 minutes after I run.

• Like 1

Mini quest!

My workplace has a decent subsidized cafeteria, so I usually buy my lunches there and have a small dinner. It's about $10-$15 a week over what I'd spend cooking my own meals and their food is usually better than I'd cook for myself, as a single woman.  But yesterday, I went shopping while hungry and spent about $20 more than my usual grocery budget for the second week in a row.

With all this extra food at home, I need to use it.

I want to bring in my lunch at least 3 days this week. I brought it today (pasta with mushrooms and chicken), and have enough leftovers for a second 500 calorie meal. I'm thinking chicken and mango sandwiches will suit for a third day. That way I still get Tuesday's steak, and the last day, I can either buy or bring, depending on how I feel at the moment.

• Like 2

I spent a solid 30 minutes cleaning, plus I did some work on my 3rd bike and found a place to donate it on Saturday. So it'll be out of my house! I also bought a stand that will let me stack my 2 remaining bikes. That should go a long ways towards making my living room livable again.

I did the Simple and Sinister workout last night, but didn't run because I was cold. So I got up and ran this morning instead :adoration:.

My goal for tonight: I'm going to clean my closet out. It's a mess. Also, I need to do Simple and Sinister again, unless I take the mountain bike out.

I brought my leftover spaghetti, so even if I don't eat it today, at least it'll be in the right fridge for lunch another day.

• Like 1

I woke up with a nasty crick in my back. It eased off once I got up and started moving, but it still really hurts. It's either a side effect of my new bike seat or a result of cleaning out my closet.

In other news, I discovered a whole bunch of stuff I'd forgotten existed in a box in the closet, including a 20 year old  hiking GPS and a bike computer I thought was lost. A lot of it is now in a giveaway box, but the computer is going on my road bike. I want to put a waist level shelf in the closet because stacking stuff 4 feet high means I never get to the bottom of the pile.  The closet is only half done, but it's still a huge improvement.

• Like 1

I had a good weekend. I was eating a lot, but also exercising a lot, so that about balanced out. Today, I'm  back to trying to lose.

A coworker told me about some places he likes to ride his bike. I added one of those roads to my regular route, which took it from about 6 miles to 14. I took about 1:45 to do it, so I was able to enjoy it even though it's about twice my usual distance. It went past a bunch of conservation land I wasn't aware of. Now I've got a whole lot of places to try mountain biking and hiking, too! That route won't work for an evening ride, though. It involves a couple sections that are barely OK on a weekend morning, but are absolutely terrible during rush hour (narrow road, fast cars).

Then I did Simple and Sinister on Sunday, plus I did week 6 day 3 of C25k. I think I'm going to try putting my runs first thing in the morning so that I can take out the mountain bike in the evening.

I've been really bad about cleaning. Probably only did an hour total since the last time I posted. Today, the goal is to clean off my desk.

• Like 1

Ran C25k, week7, day 1 this morning. I chose a hilly route, which I definitely regretted before I was done. But then I finished, and was very happy. That said, I really need to lose this extra 10 or 20 pounds. Next run is planned for Thursday morning.

So I'm feeling motivated on the weight loss front. I'm weighing more stuff instead of estimating and set myself a 1600 calorie goal. That's a 300-800 calorie deficit, depending on how much I exercise.

I want to get out on my mountain bike tonight. The weather is great, and I want to take advantage.

In other random things to do, I realized I'll be about an hour from the Canadian border next month, so I want to get my passport.

• Like 1

I finished a quart of ice cream in two days. That was really, really stupid of me. Luckily, my ice cream is now gone, and will be replaced with a sorbet that's nowhere near as addictive.  Yesterday, I ended up doing a 5 miles hike because I'd eaten about 2000 calories of junk and one actual meal. I'd have liked to hike longer, but sunset got in my way. I probably ended up only 200-300 calories over maintenance, rather than the 800+ it would have been without the hike.

I haven't taken out the mountain bike this week. I planned to last night, but I got to the trail late and I don't have either the lights to bike at night or the experience to be comfortable with it. Thus the hike. I plan to actually bike this evening.

I ran 1 mile this morning, but after the hike last night, it was hurting my big toe, and not in a good way. I'll be trying 1 or 2 minute run-walk intervals until that heals a bit.

I barely spend any time cleaning yesterday. Just did half of my dishes and put a few things away.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fiddle-on said:

I finished a quart of ice cream in two days.

I've been doing a lot of binging this week, as well. Something about the end of the school year and just feeling like I'm in a rut.

But you did the right thing by getting active and finding something to replace the unhealthy food. And you're right, sherbert (sherbet? sorbet?) just is not the same. 

Did you get the bike out? How did that go? I love mountain biking. Mine is broken (needs new rims and tires), so I haven't been out since last summer.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wolfen said:

I've been doing a lot of binging this week, as well. Something about the end of the school year and just feeling like I'm in a rut.

But you did the right thing by getting active and finding something to replace the unhealthy food. And you're right, sherbert (sherbet? sorbet?) just is not the same. 

Did you get the bike out? How did that go? I love mountain biking. Mine is broken (needs new rims and tires), so I haven't been out since last summer.

I no longer have any bingeing foods in the house, and after the ice cream incident, I plan to keep it that way for a bit. No fried foods or sweet desserts to tempt me. 

I didn't get the mountain bike out :ambivalence:. It was around 100F, and I just didn't have the motivation for it. Maybe this weekend. I prefer weeknights because my favorite trail is also a favorite among dog owners who walk their dogs off leash and they're out in force weekend mornings, but there's other places to ride.

• Like 2

I'm writing my wrap up a  day early.

What the grades mean:
A is excellent. I put in all the effort, and reaped all the rewards.
B is good. I met my basic goals and made significant progress.
C is OK. I missed a lot, but still made a bit of progress.
D is bad. I tried intermittently, but failed to meet the goals more often than I succeeded.
F is very bad. I didn't even try, and things are either identical to the start of the challenge, or have gotten worse.

Diet: Grade B
I recorded what I ate every day, and only overate on 5 or 6 days, usually by just a few hundred calories. Only one day where I overate by about 1000.

Cardio exercise: Grade: A
15 days where I biked into work. Most of the days I drove, it was raining. There were only a couple days when I could have biked, but drove any way.

I did week 6 of C25k twice, and have started week seven. This is even with getting sick in the middle and not being able to run for a week.

I've been road biking or mountain biking several times a week. I'd like to do more mountain biking, but since I need to drive to do it, road biking is easier. I've got a nice, low traffic 7 mile bike route that I can do before or after work without any planning.

Strength exercise: Grade C

I did Simple and Sinister 4 times, which is a lot less than I wanted. Another 8 days, I did at least 10 minutes of strength exercises, for 12 strength days total. There were other days where I did a few minutes of calisthenics when I had a few minutes to kill, but I've got a 10 minute minimum for it to count.

It should have been S&S about 14 or 15 times.

Cleaning: Grade D

I started well, then stopped doing any more than the minimum.  My living room is marginally better, I cleaned my closet, and I cleaned my desk. My bedroom is just as much of a disaster. I donated several bags of goods and clothes. I still have a bag of books and a bike to get rid of and the whole place still needs a few hours to be at an acceptable level of cleanliness.

Bonus Goals:

I didn't do any job searching or writing, but I did start playing my flute again in preparation for an upcoming music camp. Go me!

• Like 3