All of the above plus an emphasis that your job stress levels appear to be going up vs down from when you started. There might be some negative feedback going on from expecting yourself to be in a place where you're not, failing to meet those unrealistic expectations, free food everywhere, etc. If you're going to give yourself goals, maybe figure out timeboxing or a way to manage what is being demanded of you so you don't loss your marbles lol. You've got a wedding to (gradually) plan. It doesn't need to be stressful, if you feel it creeping up and/or tsunami-ing, I highly advise getting (non-family) help. It is so worth it. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

On 9/26/2018 at 3:35 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

HEY!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! go go gadget wedding! that's so exciting. as a side note - I found offbeatbride.com super helpful for nerdy and 'other' weddings. you got this

wedding-fail-17.gif

that kid doesn't even look phased that he just pulled the chair out from under a bride.

secondly, don't do things that cause you more stress. if learning to play piano or C# really reduced your stress levels, i would get on board with those goals. but maybe your (in your head) goals should be geared towards those things that reduce stress for you (video games and reading!). and like i alluded to with the "in your head" bit, you don't owe us anything such as updates ;) as much as we enjoy them we'd rather you took care of yourself.

anyway. you're great!

AW SPANX

tenor.gif?itemid=5194213

I am reviewing my goals in light of life things for sure, more soon

9 hours ago, Urgan said:

All of the above plus an emphasis that your job stress levels appear to be going up vs down from when you started. There might be some negative feedback going on from expecting yourself to be in a place where you're not, failing to meet those unrealistic expectations, free food everywhere, etc. If you're going to give yourself goals, maybe figure out timeboxing or a way to manage what is being demanded of you so you don't loss your marbles lol. You've got a wedding to (gradually) plan. It doesn't need to be stressful, if you feel it creeping up and/or tsunami-ing, I highly advise getting (non-family) help. It is so worth it. 

I think with the wedding it's going to be a small circle of close friends at a karaoke bar while my ordained-by-the-internet best friend signs our license with us, and then we take shots or something and do karaoke, cuz that's how I roll

The stressful thing will be the giant reception party I plan that will happen a day or few after that for the combined families and friends. It's going to be like 250 people, is the thing. Maybe not that many. That's on the top 5 of things to tackle (figure out how many-ish) soon. I just know my family alone is at least 30ish. His isn't quite as hefty a number, but we both have quite a lot of friends we'd like to see as well. Family alone would probably be 60 just to be safe.

• Like 2

Just as a rando update: I am still gaining instead of losing. SIGH. :/ Those stress loss pounds popped right back on.

This week has been 5's on my program, so 3x5 at 109 on squats, 3x5 at 48 on OHP, 3x5 at 80 on bench and 3x5 at 119 on sumo deadlifts. I continue to gym as usual and I'll just leave the food things as my main goals here.

since that's obviously hard enough as it is lol

I've been testing reducing back-magic walking time from 15 min to 10 to see if it makes any difference AND so far after 2 weeks it does not appear to. Yay, that's 20 minutes saved per week! Too early to call but also so far adding back trap bar deadlifts on light deadlift day has not done any harm.

tenor.gif?itemid=12578231

Sleeps nao

Spoiler

• Like 1

FRIIIIICKADOODLE CONGRATS!!!!!!

Wedding planning is gonna be A Thing so def give yourself lots of leeways and kindness~ <3

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

giphy.gif

OMG, YAY! Congrats!!  :D:D:D

I don't really have anything to add strategy-wise to what's already been said. But do try to treat yourself with some self-compassion. Stress wreaks all kinds of havoc on us poor humans.

(I meant to post this yesterday. Apparently the internet ate it. Which means I also lost the gif of the Middle Eastern guy playing a banjo with a chicken on his head..)

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

11 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

(I meant to post this yesterday. Apparently the internet ate it. Which means I also lost the gif of the Middle Eastern guy playing a banjo with a chicken on his head..)

The Internet giveth and the Internet taketh away.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

glad you're able to cut down elliptical time and add in trap bar DLs!

i LOVE the karaoke bar idea!! *swoon* depending whether you want your friend ordained in a specific religion, sometimes states give one-day officiant licenses that are non-religious and a bit easier to fill out.

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

I'm giving in to the sweeping current of life and doing simple updates for an unknown amount of time. The main goal is Do Not Fall Apart which translates roughly to "don't eat everything you see just because it's free" "keep lifting" and "keep ellipticalling"

Today's update includes a vague pass-ish with food (pass will be maintenance or lower with a halfway decent amount of vegetables/real food)

I lifted a 3x5 at 112 lbs for squats and 3x5 for 82 lbs for bench, and some face pulls

Then I visited Mom & fam and had only 2 light beers instead of lots of momsnacks.

Food included vegetables, eggs, and yeah some fried stuff and a flour tortilla but we didn't bust the maintenance cap so, pass.

This week I anticipate more chaos. Cat MAY need the vet (and she gets upset enough and is old enough that I'm trying to make absolutely certain first... she was acting icky for a few days but seems okay now.) Work is doing things that will make life hard. Mr Ix is having a minor procedure done. I NEED to call a plumber, but I dunno how this is all gonna work idk

I also have a doc appt

too much lifing

I also need to find time to call venues and stuff

tenor.gif?itemid=4434861

Spoiler

so much life! ugh sorry for the insane amount on your plate right now. would lists and/or scheduled times for tasks help?

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

On 10/1/2018 at 8:05 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

so much life! ugh sorry for the insane amount on your plate right now. would lists and/or scheduled times for tasks help?

I have begun the venue hunt, and I need a WEDDING NOTEBOOK

stat

In my head it's a swank ass party with blue and violet lighting and karaoke and snacks and free booze (well obviously not free to ME) with a dance floor and I'd have the karaoke DJ take breaks every hour to do one of those stupid line dance songs I hate (no offense if you like 'em more power to ya but I can't dance and to me it's just lost prime karaoke real estate, but I'll be inviting a lot of family who loves that stuff)

I just want to make a lot of good memories and have everyone celebrate the big event with us

On 10/3/2018 at 7:27 AM, Jord said:

I think ya got time unless the wedding is in the next month. We planned ours in 3 months. There is always a place somewhere with space. You'll be awesome. It will be awesome!

Thinking 6 months currently. I'm avoiding the summer entirely though so worst case, a year out.

The first venue got back to me today so I'll be scheduling a TOUR and being all like "i have no idea what I'm doing just show me options and what stuff I do myself"

aaa

I got side bangs

I love them

I did lifts this week, just didn't post them 

I got into a funk in the middle of the week and just wasn't in the mood to internet much. But we're BACK baby

Also I karaoke'd at work

bravery level up

dwHyub.gif

• Like 2

Snagged some low hanging squat PR fruit this morning for 3x12 at 90 lbs

I don't do 12 reps too often so BOOM LOL PR

Was gonna do 12s on the bench too but it was occupied so I did close grip on the crappy bench instead, and some accessory work. Gym was REALLY crowded for 10 AM on a Monday, even if it is Columbus day.

And got the package lists for my top two venue choices and HOLY HAND GRENADE BATMAN

tenor.gif?itemid=8940139

37 minutes ago, ixaera said:

And got the package lists for my top two venue choices and HOLY HAND GRENADE BATMAN

tenor.gif?itemid=8940139

Shoulda told them it was for a kid's birthday party lol.....you attach 'wedding' or 'marriage' to anything and it automatically doubles.

1 hour ago, calanthrophy said:

Do people get out of work for this? I was always under the impression that The Great Calendar Committee just had a blank day that they wanted to write stuff on.

20 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Bank people do

Many of them, anyway.

Government workers do as well, which is super inconvenient given I have sold and shipped a dvd box set to an ebay buyer who is either 12 or mentally handicapped and has been giving me the business about when the damn thing will arrive like the next time he emails me I am going to ask him if he wants me to drive it all the bleep up to Indiana and hand deliver it Chrono Crusade isn't THAT GREAT OF AN ANIME I'M SELLING THE DAMN THING, GUY I CANNOT CONTROL WHEN THE POST OFFICE UPDATES THE TRACKING NUMBER.

• Like 1

The chaos monster is paying dividends in the form of a rare coveted work award!

Yay effort

tenor.gif?itemid=3700458

I'm doing a week of 12s and as such I did a 3x12 at 100 lbs on sumo deadlift (wow tired lowback, but no booms) and there wasn't a good 40 lb bar to do 12s on OHP so I did a 2x8 on the empty bar then an AMRAP (11, matching my previous AMRAP PR). Some accessory things then skedaddled.

Tomorrow is 12s on bench. Might as well be doing cardio yall

Spoiler

• Like 2

So uh hey folks!

How are you in these crazy times?

I'll just roll into an update. A little summary on 10/18 onward: Work was a little too crazy busy honestly to post up til October in the first place. I'm astounded I made time for it for that long!

Things have changed a whoooooole bunch in a year and a half (is it really ONLY a year and a half??).

Item 1: Gained about 20 lbs by accident. I tried bulking and it totally wrecked my good maintenance habits. I'm currently about 2/3rds of the way through a cut to get back where I was in January 2018.

Item 2: I switched programs somewhere in there and I now do Stronger By The Day (megsquats). For a while I had to cut it to 3 days which was tricky (this is a 4 day split program) because I was so stressed and busy that I just wasn't recovering doing all 4 days.

Item 3: My back has not gone out even once since Feb. 2018, though it's gotten iffy a few times. This is something I consider Big Gains in the staying healthy column.

Item 4: I also haven't gotten a ton stronger, but my focus has shifted from trying to push big numbers on a bar to aesthetics and general health. (This still includes the big 4, however.) And by aesthetics I mean pleasing to MY eye in particular, I'm not interested in trying to shape to bodybuilding comps or anything like that, I just wanna look great naked (to myself).

Item 5: I'm still at the same company, but I've moved from application support into software development. I have been a baby developer for EXACTLY 5 months today. I have no idea if I'm going to be any good at it. Boss & team lead say I'm killing it and think I can get promoted next year if I keep up the good work, but I literally will not believe this until actually promoted or given a raise that beats industry average increases, so... everyday I fight the brain gremlins.

Item 6: I did FINALLY get married to my 10-year boyfriend in April 2019. However, (no specifics) that is not a thing anymore as of a few months ago and I'm working through that mess. HI, I'M IXAERA, I AM A GIANT FLESHY PILE OF NEUROSES! NICE TO MEET YOU!

I still work strength 2-4 times per week (usually at least 3) and haven't really taken much in the way of breaks from that in all this time. A week off here and there (would estimate no more than 5-6 of those in the last 18 months). I do LISS cardio 2-5x per week (more lately because of the fat loss goals).

So my current goal is to update this once a week with how many strength workouts I did, how many cardio, whether I was within calorie limits for the week and % range, a ratio of days I ate actual vegetables. This is probably simple enough to not overwhelm. (I'm also SUPER busy because I'm constantly trying to learn more so I don't suck at my job.)

Side project: I've been working on a Stardew Valley mod off and on as a way to learn. It's currently broken - it broke with 3.3.0 of SMAPI and I just discovered this yesterday, so I'm working on getting it fixed up.

I'm so glad I got into home fitness long enough to have a strong collection of resistance bands and adjustable dumbbells right now.

Work Out Cartoon GIF - WorkOut Cartoon GIFs

• Like 2
16 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

!
Hi! Long time, no see. How are you doing? :) How do you like Stronger by the Day?

I am doing the OKAYEST right now all things considering.

SBTD is really great! The price isn't bad at all ($8/mo) and I don't have to spend any time thinking about programming. It's flexible and there's enough variety to keep me engaged.

• Like 2
On 3/22/2020 at 9:19 AM, Suzaqu said:

Hey!! So good to see you! That's awesome that your back is staying well! 

Hiii!!

Yes! I still have to take GOOD CARE of it (it is a very sensitive thing) but all the trial and error has got me in a solid spot with that. No sitting for too long, no pushing heavy low back work (I am trap bar only again, sumo just was too much to be frank), got a special bed which is absolutely making a world of difference too.

I've been trying to pop into instagram more often as well (I neglect social media on the reg, a blessing AND a curse). I hope you're doing great :)

• Like 1

As promised, an update for Mon-Sun Mar 16 - Mar 22

Fist Bump We Did It GIF - FistBump WeDidIt GoodJob GIFs

Strength

Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun (4 workouts, ah, ah, ah)

Tues: bench press AMRAP plus upper accessories

Thurs: squat plus leg accessories (gym was still open at this point). Went light on squats, working up to 4s at only 115, because my back was griping about the unfamiliarity of my home work station floor mat (I've discovered that shoes offset this?)

Sat: at home full body stuff, focus seemed to be on presses and triceps (so kind of a bench press repeat, but I didn't feel like finagling with the swap over for it to make sense)

Sun: focus seemed to be push ups and bodyweight hip thrust variations. Really tough!

Score: A+

Cardio

Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat

Cardio is usually elliptical when the world isn't ending. At home I have a little stepper guy that I sub in, or do a darebee cardio workout. Jumping jacks hurt my back though so I usually stick to the stepper.

Score: A

Stayed the Intake Course

Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri

Overall Avg: In Range

(only a LITTLE over Sat/Sun, so this didn't hurt the effort really) 

Vegetables

I am reconstructing this this week because my tracker doesn't have this yet (but boy I need it)

Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sun

^ Not nearly as bad as I thought! I'm counting the day if I had any meal with a respectable veg count. If this stays higher than expected I'll replace it with some other goal like studying.

• Like 1

An update for March 23 - 29

Just putting some structure into these unfortunate times.

Sleep Nitez GIF - Sleep Nitez Fridge GIFs

Strength

Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun

Doing minimum equipment / bodyweight focused workouts courtesy of my Stronger By The Day subscription. These aren't wimpy, so I still feel challenged. I definitely don't enjoy this type of workout as much as barbells and cable machines and lever machines at a good gym, for sure, but I need the sanity (and it's focusing some stuff I never hit so it's not all bad)

Score: A+

Cardio

Tues, Wed, Thurs, Sun

Been watching tv while using the pedal stepper thing. I gave up on jumping jacks after my back made threatening gestures at me.

Score: A

Stayed the Intake Course

Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, Sun

Overall Avg: In Range

Not my best effort honestly. I came in under the mark (barely), but there was some compensating for a bottle of wine that I wasn't too proud of. At one point I DID manage to have 2/3rds of a pint of Blue Bell, though, and that my friends is worth it.

Vegetables

Yeah, I had veggies every day but Monday. I'm not struggling with this and barely have to think about it, so I'm going to swap it with something that's a challenge. NAMELY: Professional development! Our favorite friend! The Plan is to read from a book my boss recommended, mixed up with watching stuff while steppin' for cardio. The initial goal this coming week is at least a total of 1.5 hours of study. 2+ hours = a retail therapy sort of prize.

Struggles This Week

Honestly, the struggle has been doing the bodyweight workouts. I'm very determined to do these, so there's no real plan to adjust this. I don't have room for a gym in a one-bedroom apartment, so, we do what we can. The stepper is less of a problem because I can just drag it out and use it while watching other stuff. I do miss a real elliptical, though. I'll be very grateful for open gyms when they exist again.

Intake is a struggle. As long as I keep the input generally healthy (and for me, lighter on carbs or at least make sure the carbs I get are complex), it's not a hardship to stay in cut range. That's old news, though. Being homebound has made work and friend happy hours so much easier. They're virtual, so there's a lot less pressure to talk (it's hard for multiple conversation threads to flow on a video chat), and so a lot less pressure to get tipsy enough to talk. This has REALLY helped the cut not tank from alcohol calories.

Anyway, I did so well this week and I'm proud enough of this that my gold star is basically online shopping.

I hope everyone is doing well and able to find everything they need ❤️

• Like 1