5/18 - 5/24

giphy.gif

I am feeling a lot better and life has gotten as sane as possible again.

Strength

Thurs, Sat, Sun

I allowed a day off this week to get an A, and I took it. The work hellscape ate up a ton of time Monday, didn't go to sleep til after midnight, so Tuesday I opted to NOT do my normal workout and that was fine. After Tuesday, everything settled down, and stuff got back to whatever this version of normal is.

Score: A

Cardio

Tues, Wed, Sun

This is about normal, and I did overlap two of these with studying, so I was HIGHLY efficient. (This helped with the recharging, too.)

Stayed the Intake Course

Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur, Sun

Overall Avg: Out of Range

Womp womp, got me a minor fail here. I'm counting my target +/- 5% and I was 17 over +5%. Close, but no cigar. Not super upset about this miss, being 3 lbs out from goal and not really wanting to push TOO hard in this range. I am merely downgrading my lootbox over this, instead of disallowing.

Training

Did the required 1 hour, and honestly, that was the perfect amount this week and I have some ideas on adjusting goals. More later.

Lootbox

This week I just bought this guy: https://www.containerstore.com/s/toy-storage/poppin-sage-box-bench/1d?productId=11010451

ON SALE yeeeahhh

It'll fit nicely under my desk and be nice to move about when extra seating or mobile seating is needed. Might even put it by the door as a shoe bench until I get a real side board for that spot!

Positives This Week

The shoe rack arrived and I put it together. It's ALMOST perfect, except it's supposed to snap together all these rods and ... they don't stay, making some of the rows unusable. I ordered some krazy glue to deal with the problem. I recharged as planned. The reduced goals were exactly the right amount to skate the surface of still-doing-stuff-but-not-too-much.

Looking Forward

Ramping it back up a little bit, with a couple of changes. Some weeks, work has this ridiculously long, dry, arduous training. I'm going to start counting that as .5 of my 1.5 hour training goal (even though it's sometimes up to 2 hours!!!!!). It is so hard to get my brain to focus on ANYTHING after that training, and it IS still professional development, even if it's during work hours. I will make a note if that ended up in my 1.5 goal calculation. The reason I am not counting all of the time is because it's not a subject that helps me with everyday work, so I don't want to reel too far back in on the subjects I'm actively seeking out. So that's change #1, and it will NOT affect next week but it will affect the one after it.

Change #2, I'm adding a goal. I piloted it this week to make sure it was even doable, and the timing is funny. I was thinking because of meat shortages (and other personal reasons) I wanted to cut back on my meat consumption. Then Steve did the flexitarian post last week and I was like, hey, yeah, that's what I was trying to do! More or less. So, I tried beyond meat for the first time to see if I liked it enough to use it as a regular fill in for protein, and I actually like it a lot. Tofu is a big nope for cooking at home - I fail horrendously everytime and lack the patience - beyond meat is perfect for me. I am not giving UP meat (nor do I  plan to), I'm just cutting back. This past week I probably ate 16 oz total of actual meat, the rest was all beyond stuff. It went well, so here's the actual goal:
1 vegan day per week 
16 oz limit on any type of meat (I'm a big red meat eater, so this is likely to almost always be beef, y'all)
2 serving limit of fish per week, optional whether I eat it
Temporary goal: Explore other animal-free options for stuff like cheese and butter to see if I like them enough to use them sometimes <-- will probably only leave that in for a few weeks

No limit on eggs (I doubt I'll ever put a limit here, I like so few things that have protein in them for breakfast)

ALCOHOL LIMIT: If I start drinking, no more than 2 total drinks (no I can't increase the size of the drink)

I'm doing the alcohol limit because I am small and I ALWAYS end up having more than I should when I start. I don't drink even close to every day (usually Friday and Saturday, with the very rare extra single drink if I'm doing a big bathtub relax), always on video chat. I have zero problem not drinking unless I'm in a social situation, then I usually overdo it. So we're gonna work on that. I hear less alcohol is good for the skin.

Notes: I don't think I could go under 16 oz because they don't sell meat in 8 oz packs and it usually doesn't last two weeks unless you freeze it. (I guess I could freeze it. I'll cross that bridge if I get to it. Sounds annoying though.)

Eyeing that wagon at long last for next week.

• Like 2

hiiiiiii

5/25 - 5/31

tenor.gif?itemid=14720190

Strength

Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun

Got it done. Keeping an eye on data in these parts to see if I feel comfortable with a gym trip once in a couple of weeks. If active cases don't spike, I'll show up for a day in a week or two and use... A BARBELL.

Score: A+

Cardio

Mon, Wed, Sun

Overlapped 2 of these with studying.

Stayed the Intake Course

Tues, Wed, Thur, Sat, Sun

Overall Avg: Out of Range

Meat Intake: 2 servings salmon

Vegan Day: Pass
Explore Alternatives: Pass

Alcohol: Fail

I was over +5% by 2 (TWO!) calories lol Not really sweating this. I had a couple of heavy beers on Friday that is what smashed that limit. (And that was the day I adhered to the alcohol rule...)

I kind of accidentally was a pescatarian this past week. Since it's just me, I cook in batches of 3-4 meals and when time came to cook another meal, it happened to be vegan day, so I ended up never cooking any meat, aside from the fish on Monday and Tuesday.

While I don't see myself becoming a full time vegan, I find I enjoy my food on vegan day and it's not a hardship at all. This week I had mostly beyond meat substitutes, because I'm a hapless beginner who finds tofu too challenging and I'm a general failure at bean dishes. This is fine.

Let's talk about ALCOHOL. Giving myself another chance here. We had work happy hour Wednesday and I was SUPER successful with my one lager. We had commiseration beers on Friday, and I sipped on one stout for over an hour, then eventually hopped over to my guild chat and had a trippel, then stopped. (A stout and a trippel really add up on cals, though...)

Going so well, right?

Then Saturday I was on 2 video calls with other drinking people, and it totaled over 6 hours. It took me 3 hours to get through my first two rum drinks, so I felt like I was doing well, but then call number two happened, I was already tipsy, and I got goaded into pouring another (and another, since my limit was broken at that point). I am NOT happy about it. More below.

Score: B-

Training

Did the required 1.5 hours this week.

Lootbox

I'm going to buy the wagon this week. Honestly, in spite of the failures here, the overall is pretty good, and that wagon will help me a lot.

Positives This Week

I learned a lot about myself and the people I associate with this week. You can really tell a lot by how someone reacts to "oh, I'm actually not having more to drink tonight." Or really, how people respond to any sort of statement that expresses a boundary or a personal misgiving, right? So how will I deal with the failure? I know I failed because it was a close friend egging me on, because I was already tipsy, and because I wanted to fit in. Since I KNOW that, I can be better prepared next time. This is a 3 strike program now. 3 strikes and we're just going to treat it like a Problem and cut it out, social medication that it is or not.

Looking Forward

Sticking to this plan for longer. I like the diet changes so far, they seem like they'll be easy to keep up, and nothing weird happened to my digestion or anything. Will I try harder to hit that calorie range? Maybe a little bit. (Maybe in the sense of just being more cognizant when I've had one high-cal thing and follow it with something a lot lighter lol) My priorities remain mainly the professional development, strength training, and the alcohol limit.

Oh! Edited to add this b/c I almost forgot. I'm changing the meat limit from 16 oz to 4 servings. The idea is that 1 serving is roughly 4-5 oz of meat. I just don't want to go crazy weighing stuff, plus it simplifies frozen meals that probably have 1-3 oz of meat in them. I can just eyeball it and call it a half serving this way.

• Like 2

Two calories is a good sneeze, so were I in your shoes, I would totally count it. But, I admire your perseverance and adherence to the parameters you've set yourself. Also, I like your adjustments for this week. They seem very practical. :)

Coincidentally, I prepped a vegan dish for my lunch this week-ish. But I'll confess have not yet tried any of the meatless meat products because my brain is a two year old... Wait, scratch that. She's 12 and can't see anything beyond Soylent Green whenever Impossible __ or Beyond __ appears on a menu lol 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

7 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Two calories is a good sneeze, so were I in your shoes, I would totally count it. But, I admire your perseverance and adherence to the parameters you've set yourself. Also, I like your adjustments for this week. They seem very practical. :)

Coincidentally, I prepped a vegan dish for my lunch this week-ish. But I'll confess have not yet tried any of the meatless meat products because my brain is a two year old... Wait, scratch that. She's 12 and can't see anything beyond Soylent Green whenever Impossible __ or Beyond __ appears on a menu lol 🤦‍♀️

Beyond Meat: Probably Not Soylent Green

^ I mean, I don't think that's their slogan but it seems like a good one!

• Haha 1

6/1 - 6/7

tenor.gif?itemid=17220251

Strength

Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun

Got it done. 

Cardio

Mon, Wed, Sat, Sun

Overlapped 2 of these with studying (again)

Stayed the Intake Course

Tues, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sun

Overall Avg: In Range

Meat Intake: 2 servings salmon, 3.5 servings meat

Alcohol: Pass

Did dang well here, including alcohol. I'm going to say for the lulz that my passing intake score is 3 calories lower than last week's failing score. The weight loss has (as expected) slowed dramatically and is inching down toward goal, and I look forward to the day when I can move the target up to maintenance levels. I mean, this amounts to an extra snack, but I still wants it.

I tried vegan cheesecake. Specifically Daiya "Cheeze"cake. It was absolutely astoundingly good, and I don't think I could pick it out from real cheesecake in a line up. Next week I try tofu and lentils as vegetarian/vegan main courses, and then I'll probably drop that goal as job done. So far I've tried vegan cheese substitute, vegan ice cream, vegan cheesecake, beyond brand products, and I have vegan butter substitute ready to go (haven't had a need to use it yet). Out of these, I found the cheese and ice cream very meh. The rest is totally awesome.

Note: I've totally prepared lentils before, but not as a main "this is my protein" dish with veggies or anything. So the exploration is just something other than lentil soup or lentil chili.

Meat limiting was pretty easy. I had 12 oz ground bison, 8 oz salmon, the rest was beans, quorn nuggets, an amy's frozen meal, and some soup. Yes, I did kind of miss meat, but mostly because I'm used to cooking it and pairing it with stuff in one-skillet meals or with certain sides, not because I wanted to eat it instead of, say, beans.

Training

Did the required 1.5 hours this week. (This includes the work training - I ALMOST did even more, then, like, didn't.)

Lootbox

I'm watching my pocketbook this week, so my lootbox is a day off work full of video games and tv and naps.

Positives This Week

I'll be honest. Shit's been hard. The world can be a sucking dumpster fire of a hellhole sometimes, and we all just gotta do our part to try to help make it better in our own way. That's draining, and that makes personal goals harder to attain when you're looking outside yourself more for things you can do. (And I recommend it. Donate. Stand up for others. Talk. Share. Do the thing that calls to you. Smile at your neighbors. Connect. VOTE. And then, go take care of yourself cuz you're gonna need it after watching the news.)

This week I learned that I CAN limit my drinking. That said, Saturday was HARD. My video call friends were all getting pretty drunk, and I was tempted, but I switched to water after drink number 2 and when it got even harder, I got a serving of chips instead of more drink. So I CAN do it. No other day was difficult. I had 2 drinks Friday (both light-ish beer type drinks) and 2 Saturday (both cocktails).

I learned that this flexipescatarianism is probably my jam. Yeah I threw a pesca in there. Fight me.

tenor.gif?itemid=17254819

Looking Forward

No changes next week, same goals. Meals will feature chicken, lentils, fried tofu, with lox making a breakfast appearance for a couple of days.

• Like 1

I just read over your log, and I am so impressed by your consistency. Even when a week goes badly, you dust yourself off and get back to your goals. You also make adjustments for when life happens so that is does not throw you off and leave you discouraged. In the midst of challenging times, you are still moving towards your goals. You inspire me!

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, LeaderBear said:

I just read over your log, and I am so impressed by your consistency. Even when a week goes badly, you dust yourself off and get back to your goals. You also make adjustments for when life happens so that is does not throw you off and leave you discouraged. In the midst of challenging times, you are still moving towards your goals. You inspire me!

aw shucks XD

6/8 - 6/14

Whoops, this is a little bit late

tenor.gif?itemid=5395101

Strength

Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun

Got it done again. 

Cardio

Mon, Wed, Thur, Sun

Overlapped 2 of these with studying (again again)

Stayed the Intake Course

Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur, Sat, Sun

Overall Avg: In Range

Meat Intake: 4oz salmon, 14oz meat

Alcohol: Pass

Everything came up ix this week on food. I did go back to ounces because it TURNS OUT that my "half" or "full" servings aren't anything like 2 or 4oz, so I had to adjust course. The limit is the same, though (16 oz). I mostly had chicken breast in some pasta this week, along with various frozen meals that contained meat. The salmon was in the form of lox with my scrambled eggs. I tried pan-cooking tofu. It came out fine (not as awesome as I hoped, but I like tofu so it wasn't exactly a fail). I did not end up cooking up the lentils. Vegan day was great - had overnight oats with oat milk, lunch was beyond burger (just the patty) and some vegan potato chips (then later a snack of more said chips). Dinner was pan fried tofu, quinoa, a veggie steamer, with hummus on top.

Training

Did it all.

Lootbox

I kind of pre-bought my lootbox? lol whoops. Part of it includes some leggings from GRRRL that are pretty good, but not as snug as they should be. While I like their sizing model, though, their smallest size isn't always small ENOUGH. I am a little person OKAY. It's a little bit frustrating when you want to support a very inclusive brand but they manage not to really include you, too.

Positives This Week

This was another really hard week. Luckily it was that type of hard week where my goals supported me instead of stressed me, though. I have learned that I don't really like chicken. I mostly tolerate chicken. I DO like black beans, lentils, tofu, beef, bison, and pork. So I'm going to only make the chicken I know I like going forward, and use my meat allowance on stuff I enjoy more otherwise. 16 oz has been less than I thought it would be, but very doable - this week's staple non-meat has so far been eggs and those vegan tofu dumplings (so tasty if you crisp them up just right and eat 'em with those broccoli cheese "tots")

Looking Forward

Dropping the vegan food exploration item, don't need it no more. I went back to ounces. The lentils are probably gonna make a big appearance on Thursday - looking forward to a lentil/quinoa/veggie bowl with some hummus :3

tenor.gif?itemid=15766155

HI FOLKS

you may be wondering:
isn't this an unusual format?

I'm glad you asked!

I had some Stuff happen this week. My divorce is final, I was never happy about this despite it being my idea, so I'm just kind of a giant mess at the moment, and that's okay. I did actually MOSTLY follow-ish the plan this week, but I'm not going to focus on that. I missed one strength work out. I only studied for one hour. I busted the alcohol limit a little bit (but not that much actually). I did my vegan day, and I made lentils and they were quite tasty thanks.

There, that's the summary this week. 

So, good news: I did actually hit my target weight today, so the maintenance plan was activated. So next week you'll see the maintenance intake plan which is A LITTLE bit different from what I've been doing with a simple weekly average. I have a therapy session scheduled. It's direly needed. My brain is in A State right now you guys. Normally my to-do's and plans help keep me level (this is why I do this, y'all), but I've gotten off kilter and honestly I need the help. I'm looking forward to this.

The more bad news is that I didn't really think to plan out how I'd reward myself for this AT ALL so I'm struggling. Money isn't exactly tight, but I don't want to spare any right now, so my original plan to buy the bookshelf I like I am struggling with. Maybe if I do it on payday I'll feel less icky about spending? That's only like 9 days away.... Also, my brain bads are such that I got hives the other day. They've since receded, but I'm sure they're just waiting for a little bit more stress to pop back out. Thanks, body....

Unfortunately, this wasn't a planned break from regularly scheduled programming, so I didn't get a REAL break. I might need one soon. Maybe on the week where I get a work holiday anyway, that's coming up shortly.

Everyone stay healthy!

On 6/21/2020 at 8:49 PM, ixaera said:

The more bad news is that I didn't really think to plan out how I'd reward myself for this AT ALL so I'm struggling. Money isn't exactly tight, but I don't want to spare any right now, so my original plan to buy the bookshelf I like I am struggling with. Maybe if I do it on payday I'll feel less icky about spending?

You can always defer your rewards to a later date. Just write yourself an IOU. Or I guess a UOU, in this case. But from your perspective it'd be an IOI...

• Wow 1

Hi friends, I return. My habits were strong on their own for a long time but I've dissolved in the face of A LOT so I'm here to build them back up again. I'm too late for the current challenge oh no! But until the next one starts my pre-next-challenge goal is to get back to healthier eating (think limiting junk food to twice a week with a long term goal of once every other week) and a better exercise schedule.

My current gym situation is home stuff only still, which has worked just fine in early WFH times, so I know it can again. But I'm also saving for a small size power rack for my garage as well. Weee :) I'm also currently working with a wrist limitation (I broke it right after halloween, still can't support weight for pushups). Once it's all better, I'll be doing a nice pushup challenge to help get back to where I was there.

Since I'm not doing an official challenge atm, I guess I'll just post here daily with my wins and struggles til it's go time.

• Like 2

1/15 - Just loggin and vaguely trying for now, without big goals yet. I did a sorta healthy-ish treat-mah-self breakfast with a chop shop scramble and an oat milk latte, a lean cuisine for a late lunch, and a can of tomato bisque for dinner. 2 small glasses of wine, but one of my goals might be around alcohol limits or an alcohol hiatus. Not sure which yet. Thinking hiatus though, for the length of the first challenge I do.
Strength workout this morning, and lots of daydreaming about the power rack I'm gonna buy.

• Like 1

1/16 - Same brekky as yesterday, lunch was a frozen burrito bowl (meatless), dinner was cheese ravioli lean cuisine, and I had a coke zero w/ peach vodka while chatting with a good friend. I got on my mini elliptical for 25 min, which is about the equivalent of a brisk walk, and I paid my bills and find that I can now afford to get started on my garage gym. I'm getting this little guy ordered probably tomorrow after a 15th measure just to be certain it'll fit comfortably.

https://www.forceusa.com/products/myrack-folding-power-rack

• Like 2

1/17 - Happy birthday Betty White, wherever you are

egg in oatmeal for breakfast, cheese hotteok while I was running errands for lunch (was having a bad day/week/year anyway), made tofu, onion, and riced veggies in a hodgepodge of a spicy sesame drizzle, with some sliced almonds and seaweed shreds on top, not bad. But the onions were a little too prominent in the flavor profile :P I have leftovers yay. 1 beer after I broke my boot zipper. 1 red wine after dinner while playing ff with some friends.

Did not work out womp womp

Anyway I have this stuck in my head

• Like 1

1/18 -I haven't ordered the garage gym stuff (my biggest anxiety are money related) but I'm still psyching up for it!! I can do this!

Bfast was a 2 egg scramble with salsa, lunch was the rest of the tofu stuff, dinner was canned vegan chili. Accidentally a full vegetarian day :o

I did a strength workout with bands & dumbbells while daydreaming about my future power rack.

The lever in my toilet tank broke, and my "urgent" maintenance request isn't so urgent I guess so if they don't come by tomorrow, I will I guess be fixing it myself. It's a 9 dollar part 

uh oops I forgot to click submit on this XD

• Like 1

1/19 - An oatmeal with cinnamon and almond slices for breakfast day, frozen buddha bowl for lunch, rotisserie chicken leg and roasted sweet potatoes for dinner, carrots and hummus for snack. Between today and yesterday I had 12 oz of a can of house wine rose (I forgot to put it on yesterday's). Light cardio 30 min

Work's been busy and productive so I haven't really given myself time to re-measure, look at the price again, and psych up, but the rack is a near future deal. NEAR FUTURE.

Been noodling on challenge goals in Feb and I think a basic challenge is ideal for now, so 3 simple goals and maybe an extra credit?

Here's what I'm considering

1 - Progressive workout schedule. Start at 2 strength days and a cardio day and add a day each week until I'm at 4 strength workouts and 4 cardio workouts a week. (My cardio is basically no heavier than a brisk walk, so this isn't like, going from couch to 5k or anything. Just getting back what I used to do)

2 - Good foods, work on diet quality. Stay under maintenance calories with no particular stress on a sizable deficit, fill menu with lean proteins, veggies, and fats from stuff like olive oil and avocados. Occasional treats okay.

3 - Productivity time. I WFH and have ADHD. The combo is... something. The hours between 7 and 5 on work days must be productive. If I need a brain break, laundry, dishes, etc. If I'm out of things to work on, training. (Actual eating and other legit breaks are okay, just to be clear.)

And bonus - no alcohol for 5 weeks. Not one drop.

Too much?

• Like 3

Welcome back 👋 You have an impressive history here, wow! I really like your challenge plan. Near future workout loot sounds exciting! Toys, yay.

10 hours ago, freck said:

Too much?

At first glance, and depending on how different your nutrition is now from how you want it (in goal No. 2),  maaaaybe there's a lot to change at once? But you know what you're already doing and what methods work for you.

At second look, it might not involve as much as it sounds- like, figuring out a reasonable maintenance calorie level (I LOVE that you wouldn't emphasize a big deficit) would only happen once, then it would just be meal planning and tracking for the challenge, right?

Also, fellow kinda short person here - 5'2".  I don't really dig into body comp much, but it's really interesting how things are changing (shape-wise) and numbers are trending lower w/the nutrition changes and regular activity.

It's neat that you want to build your challenge progressively - like, increasing toward goals. That sounds really smart. It helps to be in this for the long haul, doesn't it? looking at things we can work with for the next 5, 10, 20 years.

• Like 2

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

On 1/20/2022 at 10:05 AM, Emissary2Ornj said:

Welcome back 👋 You have an impressive history here, wow! I really like your challenge plan. Near future workout loot sounds exciting! Toys, yay.

At first glance, and depending on how different your nutrition is now from how you want it (in goal No. 2),  maaaaybe there's a lot to change at once? But you know what you're already doing and what methods work for you.

At second look, it might not involve as much as it sounds- like, figuring out a reasonable maintenance calorie level (I LOVE that you wouldn't emphasize a big deficit) would only happen once, then it would just be meal planning and tracking for the challenge, right?

Also, fellow kinda short person here - 5'2".  I don't really dig into body comp much, but it's really interesting how things are changing (shape-wise) and numbers are trending lower w/the nutrition changes and regular activity.

It's neat that you want to build your challenge progressively - like, increasing toward goals. That sounds really smart. It helps to be in this for the long haul, doesn't it? looking at things we can work with for the next 5, 10, 20 years.

Usually when I'm good nutritionally, I'm really good. It's pretty normal for me to eat well, so I'm okay with that one. The toughest part is gonna be the no alcohol for absolute certain. I basically use it as a social anxiety medication :P

Thanks for the input! I'm feeling pretty good about it. Kinda failed to log here for a couple of days, but didn't miss on the LoseIt! app at least. I ate way too much attempting to see if I could finally order a small pizza and spread it out over 2-3 meals. (nope) Plus some social eating, and here we are. It is what it is.

• Like 1

Today was good - took a couple of walks outside since the weather was nice. Had a frozen omelet, a coffee thing with oat milk, lunch was a paleo bowl from freebirds (easy way to grab a lot of meat and veg), dinner was a frozen veggie bag with cauli rice, beans, peppers, and I put a couple of eggs in there and some salsa. Yums. And one beer (drank while talking to a friend on a walk). I don't like going QUITE that low carb but my fridge is anemic til tomorrow.

• Like 2

1/25 - Did alright. Quality of food was a big win today, and I got some light cardio in (elliptical while watching youtube...). I went a little over maintenance, nbd. Kinda felt meh all day. I let myself get too deep in the red zone over the weekend with social activity and being productive, and didn't recharge appropriately (this usually leads to eating and drinking crap, feeling icky, sleeping a lot, and generally not being ready for the world for days, so a bad time for all around me). Gotta watch that meter, y'all. Anyway, it's creeping back up from yellow today \o/

• Like 2