Aces3000 - 5/3/1 Set! Go!!

Once again, I'm keeping this challenge simple. It's been working for me and I like it. During the last challenge I made progress with regard to a workout program that fits the bill for my need. I needed something that was easy to track and program, progressive and one that would fit into my schedule. My trainer has talked about the 5/3/1 program before and uses a modified version of it during our sessions. At any rate, I bought the book and am in week 4 of my first four-week cycle. 

The guy behind 5/3/1 - https://jimwendler.com/. Another fitness writer that I really love - http://tonygentilcore.com/.

• with my trainer's help, I have a 3-day per week lifting schedule. I will stick to that at least 3 of the 4 weeks during next challenge. Unfortunately I'm traveling for work next week and have no idea where I'll work out. That may be a week of bodyweight exercises in my hotel room!
  • I would like to add one more workout per week, which will be a mobility/conditioning day.

That's it. I'll post my progress 2-3x per week. There is a spreadsheet, but I won't be posting it! ;-)

• Like 7

Happy New Challenge Hype!

Glad you are liking 5/3/1 and that it is working for you! Traveling can make sticking to plans like that hard though. You can always look into daily rates at a gym local to where you are traveling. 

5 hours ago, LadyShello said:

You have a spreadsheet and not sharing it?! 

giphy.gif

I'm glad you are liking 5/3/1.  I'm hoping to get back into it next challenge too.  

I can't really take credit for it. I found the spreadsheet online and modified it to my workouts. I'll post it though, why not!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Aces3000 said:

Great session with the trainer last night. It's deload week for 5/3/1 so did low weight, high reps on the deadlift. That coupled with some assistance work and mobility made for a fantastic workout. 

Great job.  It is so nice to hear how happy you are with your workouts.  It is nice to actually do something that makes us happy and proud. Keep it up!  Following for all your awesomeness.  

• Like 1

Week four of my first cycle through 5-3-1 is complete. I'll be traveling next week so not sure what my workouts will look like. I'll either start the next cycle, or plan to start it the week of 5/1. 

Great workout today. Bench press plus assistance work. Updated spreadsheet:

5-3-1 Week of 4-17-17.JPG

• Like 3

Day one.

I'm traveling for work this week and some personal fun time this weekend. However, I'm so used to working out on Mondays now that I automatically had a workout in the hotel exercise room right after work. It was a quick one, but it felt good to even have a short session. It should be a good week and the upcoming weekend in Lexington is going to be very fun. Updates will likely be short and sweet!

• Like 2
On 4/24/2017 at 10:02 PM, Aces3000 said:

Day one.

I'm traveling for work this week and some personal fun time this weekend. However, I'm so used to working out on Mondays now that I automatically had a workout in the hotel exercise room right after work. It was a quick one, but it felt good to even have a short session. It should be a good week and the upcoming weekend in Lexington is going to be very fun. Updates will likely be short and sweet!

Great job sticking to your schedule despite traveling.  Hope you had a fun weekend. 

• Like 1

Great session with the trainer last night. It felt good to get back into it after missing last week. I did manage a couple of workouts while on the road, but nothing worth reporting. I'll do my normal Friday workout and have decided to start the next four week 5/3/1 cycle next week. I'll update the spreadsheet and post then.

One thing that my trainer is having me do is work on my t-spine and shoulder mobility. We did some moves last night that were crazy challenging. I'm motivated though because he says that is one thing that is holding me back from the real progress I hope to make.

• Like 3

Great workout yesterday. Bench press and assistance work to get myself back into the swing of things. Also spent some time on the thoracic mobility exercises. It's only been a week, but I'm already seeing progress with that. Should have time to hit the gym tomorrow and do some mobility and conditioning. Monday I start the next four-week cycle of 5/3/1.

Only bad news for the week is actually about my partner's health. She's been feeling not right for some time and finally found a doctor that really listened to her. At any rate, her blood pressure is scary high. So we're starting some diet changes to help her out. My diet has been good since starting my workouts a couple of years ago, but there is always room for improvement. She had a real scare though and is ready to make some real changes. Luckily, I am on board since am trying to live healthier. Suggestions for good recipe resources are welcome.

• Like 4
On 5/6/2017 at 9:35 PM, Aces3000 said:

Only bad news for the week is actually about my partner's health.

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear this. Prayers for her and proud of her for wanting to make a change. She's got a good advocate in you. :)

• Like 1
On 5/6/2017 at 8:35 PM, Aces3000 said:

Only bad news for the week is actually about my partner's health. She's been feeling not right for some time and finally found a doctor that really listened to her. At any rate, her blood pressure is scary high. So we're starting some diet changes to help her out. My diet has been good since starting my workouts a couple of years ago, but there is always room for improvement. She had a real scare though and is ready to make some real changes. Luckily, I am on board since am trying to live healthier. Suggestions for good recipe resources are welcome.

It's great that you already have made some changes that she can benefit from and you'll benefit from making even more good choices.  

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear this. Prayers for her and proud of her for wanting to make a change. She's got a good advocate in you. :)

Thanks! It's appreciated. The most I can do is be supportive. I can tell this was a wake up call for her. 

4 hours ago, LadyShello said:

It's great that you already have made some changes that she can benefit from and you'll benefit from making even more good choices.  

Thank you! I'm grateful for the NF community. She and I are a team. We went to the store together yesterday and made some better food choices than usual. In fact, made fantastic salmon, broccoli and quinoa for dinner. This will likely help me with the diet choices I've been needing to make. I'm glad I can be helpful to her. 

• Like 3