• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sylvaa

Sylvaa [Clarity]

12 hours ago, MichiruSedai said:

I'm reading all your book lists thinking... wow... they read a lot of really neat books.   <3

I'll go through stages where I'll pick a specific criteria for books I'm reading (i.e. "Classics" or a specific award) and then I'll look for books that fit that criteria. It's really pushed me out of my comfort zone reading-wise and has helped me find some interesting books I would not have read without it.

Update:

• Did my Doodlie challenge yesterday. This is the second challenge week with a Glute oriented workout. Doodlie focus on the butt does not surprise me, but I'd have been happier with an alternative. 
  • Did not run as I should have. I thought about it really hard (and might do it tonight instead), but I was not feeling it yesterday. Luckily, the attempted migraine ended up backing off and I am better today.
  • Did get an additional workout in. 

Also, sent this to my daughter:

dc0aa8202c4cdc9ad395a929b31d04a84fd6009ba5666449f7e69453f5842990_1.jpg

• Like 11

I always fall behind in reading over the weekends. :(  sorry.

RE the book list:  most of my favsies are already mentioned.  one I didn't happen to see is American Gods by Neil Gaiman.  I know there's a TV series (coming? already?) out, but I've yet to read anything additional about it.  I rec AG strongly because it's a neat look at the importance of things in society, and how that affects stuff beyond just humans.  it was a neat read.

I love your spreadsheet idea for the recipes.  I have no clue why I've never thought of that, but I'm adopting it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, cracked_belle said:

I always fall behind in reading over the weekends. :(  sorry.

As I realized that I was not following your most recent thread at all, there is no call for apologies! Apparently, I am actually the slacker!

Re: the book lists (because I haven't really commented too much on what people have suggested) - I am in no way, shape, or form ignoring suggestions! I have a list that is currently at ~250 books that I would like to read at some point (some I have already read, I just haven't updated it yet). So ideas that sound interesting go on that list. If I'm not certain, it goes on a library list. We have a really nice used bookstore near us, so I'll pick up books for <$5 - which is one of the reasons the list is so long - I don't always know what will be available!

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

As I realized that I was not following your most recent thread at all, there is no call for apologies! Apparently, I am actually the slacker!

no worries.  there's not much activity over on it anyway.  just me slacking in checking in and subtly berating myself for sucking so hard during this Challenge -- you know, the usual. :P

and RE books:  I am addicted to getting used books for cheap off Amazon.  (I'm still not sure where the local used bookstore is up here.)  so I feel ya, lol.

• Like 3

Just now, cracked_belle said:

and RE books:  I am addicted to getting used books for cheap off Amazon.  (I'm still not sure where the local used bookstore is up here.)  so I feel ya, lol.

I am not sure that knowing where the used bookstores are around me helps any! We have a monthly budget jut for books. 

Update:

I've been very slacky this week. This was a tracking week and work seriously knocked me for a loop. So I got on the elliptical. I felt better afterwards and got in some Doodlie work. I've worked a lot this week and am ready for a day off. Also, it's go-home day! 

• Like 7

Fun story:

Just found out my yearly corporate weekend is the week directly following my Spartan Trifecta weekend.

Nothing screams corporate dedication than showing up looking like you fell down a couple hundred steps. 

• Like 10

On 5/16/2017 at 9:44 AM, Sylvaa said:

I started something amazing! What are you talking about?

• No love for Lullaby? Note: if you have never read Palahniuk, you should read something of his.

Update: I did nothing last night, but I needed to make that decision. I woke up this morning just on the okay side of a migraine. Drinking coffee and taking ibuprofen to try to keep it at bay, but tonight might also be a nothing night. 

In retrospect I see that I've read a lot of his stuff. Lullaby was fun but it didn't strike me quite as deep as Rant did (though to be fair I went through Rant again through audiobook while I was an ICV driver in Afghanistan, so that might have been it). Choke, I included mostly because of how funny it is. But for his books, I tend to judge them by how many times I stop to take notes.

I forgot to put Twilight. I think most people should at least read the first one. 1. You find out what the big deal is (i.e. nothing), and earn the right to crap on the series and the fans who insist that "the book is different." 2. You learn that anybody can be a successful writer. 3. You learn that you can hash out 600 pages writing about nothing, just like how you answered essay questions with a word count requirement in school. 4. You learn that Team Jacob is where it's at, and Team Edward people are super misguided.

Yo, watch the Ibuprofen. Nasty stuff. I threw out all the Ibuprofen in our house and stuck with Aspirin.

• Like 4

So, my all time favorite book, hands down, is I Never Promised You a Rose Garden by Hannah Greene (Joanne Greenberg).

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm with sloth. Ibuprofen is the only thing that will touch my headaches. Tylenol doesn't even give me the placebo effect.

Most of the time, painkillers do nothing for me. Even the stuff I got from the hospital barely did anything.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 8:02 PM, MichiruSedai said:

they read a lot of really neat books.

Especially me, right? ;)

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Why is aspirin better than ibuprofen? I live on it.

Just look up the research on NSAIDs.

6 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Nothing screams corporate dedication than showing up looking like you fell down a couple hundred steps.

They'll just get to see how much of a bad-ass you are. That's exactly what you need in the corporate world.

judy-garland-quote.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Scratch that. It's Paracetamol that we have here. But personally, I don't trust painkillers in general. (That's saying something, because I'm no tough guy. I'd put my pain/discomfort tolerance at around "way below average.")

But yeah research has been coming up with some negative stuff on it. Ibuprofen is basically a meme in the military, so I've been seeing links all over my feed. (Maybe there's a new bias against big Ibuprofen. Who knows?)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Machete said:

I forgot to put Twilight. I think most people should at least read the first one. 1. You find out what the big deal is (i.e. nothing), and earn the right to crap on the series and the fans who insist that "the book is different." 2. You learn that anybody can be a successful writer. 3. You learn that you can hash out 600 pages writing about nothing, just like how you answered essay questions with a word count requirement in school. 4. You learn that Team Jacob is where it's at, and Team Edward people are super misguided.

I laughed way too hard at this. But yes, I am Team Jacob. I also read a lot of YA stuff because I like to know what my kids are reading. We don't usually prohibit them from reading anything (up until this point we haven't prohibited anything), but I know when I was younger, I ended up reading a few books that were a bit to smut-filled for my naive mind.

17 hours ago, Machete said:

Yo, watch the Ibuprofen. Nasty stuff. I threw out all the Ibuprofen in our house and stuck with Aspirin.

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm with sloth. Ibuprofen is the only thing that will touch my headaches. Tylenol doesn't even give me the placebo effect.

13 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Just look up the research on NSAIDs.

11 hours ago, Machete said:

Scratch that. It's Paracetamol that we have here. But personally, I don't trust painkillers in general. (That's saying something, because I'm no tough guy. I'd put my pain/discomfort tolerance at around "way below average.")

But yeah research has been coming up with some negative stuff on it. Ibuprofen is basically a meme in the military, so I've been seeing links all over my feed. (Maybe there's a new bias against big Ibuprofen. Who knows?)

Actually, both Aspirin and Ibuprofen are NSAIDs. The research on NSAIDs and the heart isn't new. There were some prescription strength NSAIDs that got pulled off the market in the early to mid-2000's for increasing the risk of heart attack and stroke. This has popped back up in the news recently as at the beginning of 2016, the FDA required packaging to be more clear about the risk. As with any medications, there are complications that people can be at greater risk for - it's really based upon your own personal medical history. Luckily for my family, we don't really have anything that we have to worry about - so acetaminophen for headaches, ibuprofen for other pain. 

I am a tough girl. Like, I had both of my children without pain medication tough. I actually rarely take any kind of pain medication because it puts me to sleep (yes, even the OTC stuff). So if I resort to taking anything, I'm out of commission for a few hours. 

Update: Driving up to NY today after a work call with my boss (my actual direct supervisor, not my PM) and lunch with the hubby. Tomorrow is the WD and I am super looking forward to hanging out with some Nerds!

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Machete said:

Scratch that. It's Paracetamol that we have here.

Known as Tylenol (acetometaphin) in the US. That one can screw with your liver in high doses. People will sometimes try to commit suicide with Tylenol by taking a whole bottle. The way it kills you is by shutting down your liver. If the attempt fails you wake up feeling like crap, and now you have liver damage which is very, very painful in it's own right.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Known as Tylenol (acetometaphin) in the US. That one can screw with your liver in high doses. People will sometimes try to commit suicide with Tylenol by taking a whole bottle. The way it kills you is by shutting down your liver. If the attempt fails you wake up feeling like crap, and now you have liver damage which is very, very painful in it's own right.

I used to have really bad migraines.  like, debilitating.  one time I took so much Tylenol throughout a handful of hours I had to go to the hospital and get my stomach pumped.  IT. WAS. HELL.  between that and my alcoholic consumption, I'm sure my liver sucks.

On 5/19/2017 at 8:10 AM, Sylvaa said:

I laughed way too hard at this. But yes, I am Team Jacob. I also read a lot of YA stuff because I like to know what my kids are reading. We don't usually prohibit them from reading anything (up until this point we haven't prohibited anything), but I know when I was younger, I ended up reading a few books that were a bit to smut-filled for my naive mind.

Actually, both Aspirin and Ibuprofen are NSAIDs. The research on NSAIDs and the heart isn't new. There were some prescription strength NSAIDs that got pulled off the market in the early to mid-2000's for increasing the risk of heart attack and stroke. This has popped back up in the news recently as at the beginning of 2016, the FDA required packaging to be more clear about the risk. As with any medications, there are complications that people can be at greater risk for - it's really based upon your own personal medical history. Luckily for my family, we don't really have anything that we have to worry about - so acetaminophen for headaches, ibuprofen for other pain. 

I am a tough girl. Like, I had both of my children without pain medication tough. I actually rarely take any kind of pain medication because it puts me to sleep (yes, even the OTC stuff). So if I resort to taking anything, I'm out of commission for a few hours. 

Update: Driving up to NY today after a work call with my boss (my actual direct supervisor, not my PM) and lunch with the hubby. Tomorrow is the WD and I am super looking forward to hanging out with some Nerds!

Some Henry Miller stuff? Or something more like this:

18486251_1556441874414202_37343659496566

Probably all that fear-mongering news getting to me again. Funny thing, here I am avoiding Ibuprofen and waiting for ISIS, but I'm still cooking with Teflon and driving over the speed limit. Brains are so irrational.

On 5/19/2017 at 9:06 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I used to take those when I was a kid because they were flavored. Christ, everything's trying to kill you these days. Well, I guess if you take enough it does eventually kill the pain.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Machete said:

I used to take those when I was a kid because they were flavored. Christ, everything's trying to kill you these days. Well, I guess if you take enough it does eventually kill the pain.

What's the old saying about "anything is poisonous given sufficient dosage"?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

What's the old saying about "anything is poisonous given sufficient dosage"?

I refuse to acknowledge that pizza has a toxic dose.

• Like 7

On 5/20/2017 at 4:59 PM, Machete said:

I refuse to acknowledge that pizza has a toxic dose.

True wisdom right here.

I will update on the weekend and all that stuff shortly, but right now, I'm getting acclimated to a new office / project - ahhhh!

• Like 6

Weekend Update:

Friday - had a phone meeting with my actual supervisor, which was kind of anti-climactic, but what can you do. I met my husband at his work and we went out for lunch before I got on the road (Panera - I got a really tasty salad). I was on the road for over an hour before I realized that I neglected to grab my OCR shoes. Ugh! So instead of turning around, I decided to do the responsible thing and go shopping Friday night. I made good time to the hotel and had some time to relax while waiting for NTB (she worked later than I did). We then walked around some outlets for a bit looking for shoes to use Saturday. I found a pair, I bought some chocolate (they had a Godiva store), and we grabbed dinner. Note: one of the pieces was a salted caramel filled piece with lime flavored chocolate. It was disgusting and I did not finish it. We talked about meeting up with Redstone and Argski, but neither of us were up to driving around unfamiliar areas in the dark.

Saturday - We met up for brunch at this super cute cafe in Warwick, NY. The area itself was really nice - lots of little shops and fun things. I am absolutely trying to convince my husband we need to go up for a weekend. I can't say enough nice things about the nerds I got to met up with. Everyone was even cooler in person that I imagined! The Warrior Dash was fun, but kind of lackluster. Like, I had more fun walking through the course chatting than I did actually running the course. The obstacles were pretty easy and the terrain was nice. I mean, it was a good little race, but kind of disappointing if you have done Spartans. I was missing a feeling of accomplishment. We walked pretty much the whole thing and were still done in just over an hour (about 1:05 per my Garmin). Then I drove home. 

Sunday - Caught up on chores / laundry / errands and got ready for the week. 

I did start a new thread, but it's not completed - if I remember, I will link here when I am done. 

Also, I will post a pic from the race! 

e252e9044408d5c169783653305a6167.jpg

I love this picture, because I don't feel I look overly fat in it. Also, notice the height difference. I am a giant.

• Like 9