• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sylvaa

Sylvaa [Clarity]

I like the idea of monthly challenge. Hope it goes well for you (also intrigued by the WoW dungeon format you mentioned).

I've been satisfying my OCD by keeping goals relatively the same, just slightly leveling them each challenge where appropriate, but my mind seems to prefer the monthly format of tracking in my bullet journal :D

Glad you got some 1-1 time with your son. I'd bet he appreciated it too even if he doesn't admit it. 

• Like 4

Going to try this with Tapatalk to see if it makes uploading pictures easier....

109663dd05d93f07d478e00a57f18553.jpg

Well, that wasn't too bad! Here's my monthly sheet. It's my "normal" goals, along with an optional boss. Every Saturday, I'm going to /random on my Google spreadsheet based upon the trash mobs found in WoW, then create weekly goals based upon what numbers come up. The goal is to beat the different trash mobs each week, then get the monthly goals completed by the end of the month! 

• Like 10

And, for reference, this is what my random goals are for week 1 of May.

b7c1d11db4d4ccb93940205619d2c197.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 8

I've found that some things work better for me as monthly, and some things work better for me as part of a 4-week. So I'm going to do both. But I'm probably going to keep the monthly separate, mostly in my bujo with some updates in my battle log.

• Like 3

On 4/29/2017 at 3:22 PM, zeroh13 said:

I've found that some things work better for me as monthly, and some things work better for me as part of a 4-week. So I'm going to do both. But I'm probably going to keep the monthly separate, mostly in my bujo with some updates in my battle log.

I have no idea what works best. I'm still floundering like a caffeinated squirrel. 

Update:

This week, I will be updating daily as I've got gratitude statements as one of my weekly goals. I had a good weekend. My step-son's birthday was Thursday, so we had cake on Saturday to celebrate. I'm working from home this week again, so I have some fun new recipes to try! Yesterday, I went for a run at a park near my house instead of around the neighborhood and it was worth it. 

Have I talked about my step-son and his girlfriend here before? My step-son just turned 13. He's had this girlfriend for a year now - which is cute in one way, but just kind of stupid in another. Yet, the other adults in my step-son's life (i.e. his mother) act like it's perfectly normal that a just turned 13 year old has been in a "relationship" for a freaking year. Yet my step-daughter gets flack for having like five boyfriends this school year (she's about to turn 14). 

My husband's hockey team had a game last night. He couldn't play (doctor's orders), but we went and watched the game. It went to a shoot out, which was super exciting - although they ended up losing. This is nice though, because he doesn't have to worry about whether or not he can play next week (it would be the championship game). 

Daily gratitude: 

• Birds making a nest in our wreath. Not only do I not have to change wreaths (it's in our winter one) but we have baby floofs!
  • Weather warm enough to make running outside lovely
  • Rainy Saturdays to relax
  • Like 14

4 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I have no idea what works best. I'm still floundering like a caffeinated squirrel. 

I love that analogy! Who am I kidding, I've been that analogy :P

4 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Yesterday, I went for a run at a park near my house instead of around the neighborhood and it was worth it. 

Running in a more natural setting beats treadmills, tracks and streets. Every. Time.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, jstanlick said:

Running in a more natural setting beats treadmills, tracks and streets. Every. Time.

It's still pavement, it's just prettier. Although, my neighborhood is pretty too. It's actually close enough that I could do a warm up to get there and then run, I'm just not quite there yet.

Update

I achieved all my goals for yesterday. Nothing too strenuous, although meditation is still not really my jam. It wasn't a run day (today is), so it was pretty low key. My step-son was supposed to have soccer practice with pictures, but it ended up getting postponed until today. 

My husband stayed home today - yesterday going back to work was rough. He had himself a little convinced he had dry socket (is that terminology even correct?) last night, so I think he's following up with the surgeon today. This sucks because I had to make my own coffee this morning (it's a little strong) AND I'm not sure if he's going to be up to taking my step-son to practice tonight. So getting my run in along with dinner might be a bit tricky. 

I've been very cranky recently when it comes to my step-kids mom. Part of it isn't justified. Part of it is frustration because every time I think she is getting her life together, I am wrong. Part of it is that the stuff that we (my husband and I do) is taken for granted while mom just gets to look cool. My step-son informed me this morning that since, "no one told him" someone from our house was taking him to soccer practice tonight, he left his soccer stuff at his mom's house. Why am I frustrated? BECAUSE SOMEONE FROM OUR HOUSE HAS TAKEN HIM TO EVERY PRACTICE AND GAME SINCE HE STARTED PLAYING. Side note: he also didn't ask us to take him over there to pick them up before practice. This is a huge pet peeve of mine (the kids informing us of something and expecting us to solve the problem versus taking initiative). 

Gratitude: my husband making coffee (he does it so much better than I do), zucchini (made it for dinner last night), the puppy being old enough to be unsupervised without tearing the house apart.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

He had himself a little convinced he had dry socket (is that terminology even correct?) last night, so I think he's following up with the surgeon today.

Yeah. My sister had her wisdom teeth out and got dry socket. She said clove oil helped a lot.

(Apparently birth control hugely increases your chance of getting it - who knew??) 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

Yeah. My sister had her wisdom teeth out and got dry socket. She said clove oil helped a lot.

(Apparently birth control hugely increases your chance of getting it - who knew??) 

When I got mine done, I got this nice medication from the dentist's office to use, but my husband did not. We have some leftover from when my daughter got some teeth pulled too. I've no idea what is in it, but I threw it at my husband to try.

(Birth control seems to increase risk for a bunch of random stuff)

• Like 2

I forget what exactly a dry socket is (don't remind me pls) but I remember that's the right term. And I was vaguely terrified of it, whatever it was. 

Sad face at the kids and mom thing. I know this doesn't help, but kids in general are inconsiderate assholes because of course your parents will do everything, because they're your parents and that's what parents do.  

• Like 4

Just now, fleaball said:

I forget what exactly a dry socket is (don't remind me pls) but I remember that's the right term. And I was vaguely terrified of it, whatever it was. 

Sad face at the kids and mom thing. I know this doesn't help, but kids in general are inconsiderate assholes because of course your parents will do everything, because they're your parents and that's what parents do.  

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was get dry socket or something else. I know the dry socket part was right. He now thinks his pain is related to muscle. 

I do know that. I mean, I guess to an extent, it's a good thing that the kids know we are the ones to rely on for things like that. But it's also just frustrating. Historically, we pay for everything for the kids (which includes lunch money / food to pack for school, all clothes, AND apparently showering at our house even if they are sleeping at their mom's). Well, we just had to replace our outside HVAC unit and now we are looking at paying out of pocket for braces for my daughter (we'd hoped to put it off until next year, but it's not going to wait that long). So our budget it going to be tighter than normal (at least through the end of the year). So I keep hoping that since mom now has a job, she'll step up and start being responsible for the kids when she has them. But I also know that historically that isn't what will happen. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was get dry socket or something else. I know the dry socket part was right. He now thinks his pain is related to muscle. 

I do know that. I mean, I guess to an extent, it's a good thing that the kids know we are the ones to rely on for things like that. But it's also just frustrating. Historically, we pay for everything for the kids (which includes lunch money / food to pack for school, all clothes, AND apparently showering at our house even if they are sleeping at their mom's). Well, we just had to replace our outside HVAC unit and now we are looking at paying out of pocket for braces for my daughter (we'd hoped to put it off until next year, but it's not going to wait that long). So our budget it going to be tighter than normal (at least through the end of the year). So I keep hoping that since mom now has a job, she'll step up and start being responsible for the kids when she has them. But I also know that historically that isn't what will happen. 

Ahh jk. 

Ouch. That is hella frustrating. Is this a thing you can talk to her about (pitching in a little bit) or is that going to cause epic drama and not be worth the effort?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Ouch. That is hella frustrating. Is this a thing you can talk to her about (pitching in a little bit) or is that going to cause epic drama and not be worth the effort?

Epic drama. Ridiculously epic drama. 

• Like 3

If it is a dry socket then he'll feel instantly better the very second his oral surgeon places a dressing.  I nearly kissed my doc after a weekend of pain that didn't respond to strong meds.

• Like 1

My friend, I'm so sorry that I'm so late to your thread this time around.  But I am here now, and I will do my best to keep checking in, even if its outside of your thread.  Good luck on your trash mobs and getting to da boss!   *hugs and fistbumps, though not at the same time, that could hurt*

• Like 1

Happy Wednesday! 

Update:

• Ran yesterday per my schedule. It was nice. I ran in the neighborhood because I was on a tight time frame, but I got 2 miles done in the 25 minutes (1:00 sprint / 1:30 walk intervals). When running I picked landmarks to hit before I slowed my pace (if I needed to), which probably helped me go further.
  • So apparently I signed up for a squat / burpee challenge for May (what is wrong with me?). I've been doing a few of each per the directions of the challenge every day.
  • I am going to do yoga this evening - maybe with my daughter if I can get her to do it. I'm on schedule this week with everything I'm supposed to do except yoga, so I need to get moving.

Personal stuff:

• We had a conversation last night about my step-kids' mother lying to them. We did not bring this up - they did. For my step-son's birthday or Easter (I'm not sure which one and it was a bit murky), he got a fidget cube and spinner. So first he tells us that his mom had the same one when she was in school. Which is kind of impossible since it's only been available since last year. (Note: I did say that it's possible she had something like it - I tried to be diplomatic!). So then he tells us that she got it for him to help with his ADD. Here's the thing; he doesn't have ADD. We've actually had testing done (such as time on task tests), which have all come back normal (not just normal, his last time on task had him at more focused than expected), so I'm not just saying that. Now, to be fair, obviously there have been concerns over the past few years that led to the testing. But sure, let's tell a kid that they have ADD when the evidence actually does not support that conclusion (in reality, I think a lot of his issues stem from being, "the baby" and having someone else being responsible for him for so long). 
  • My daughter is being bullied by some boys via Snapchat. They send her videos of the group of them saying how she is ugly and things like that. It is impacting her wanting to go to school. As a parent, I'm super frustrated. She doesn't want to report them, because she is afraid that the other kids will find out it was her and won't want to be friends with her anymore. Instead, she is getting very depressed. What the heck do you tell a kid that deals with this?! I mean, I know that the issue is with the bully and that it's not really about her. But how do you get an impressionable teenage girl to understand that these opinions shouldn't matter?

Gratitude:

• Extra time working from home
  • A good relationship to talk about things with my kids
  • The school year being almost over
  • Like 10

firstly, I am in love with my Fidget Cube. :D  I use it in work meetings and the like all the time, lol.

RE the kids;  those are some really tough situations to be in.  :/  I'm not sure about the bullying.  I was picked on a lot as a kid, but my parents raised me with thick skin, so I have no real advice for that.  can you talk to the school counselor without saying names?  (how old is she, again?)

and yes, it seems like you've got a great communicative relationship with them.  many children won't let on to even their parents that they're being bullied.  <3

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

My daughter is being bullied by some boys via Snapchat. They send her videos of the group of them saying how she is ugly and things like that. It is impacting her wanting to go to school. As a parent, I'm super frustrated. She doesn't want to report them, because she is afraid that the other kids will find out it was her and won't want to be friends with her anymore. Instead, she is getting very depressed. What the heck do you tell a kid that deals with this?! I mean, I know that the issue is with the bully and that it's not really about her. But how do you get an impressionable teenage girl to understand that these opinions shouldn't matter?

WTF - that's awful. Your poor daughter. If other kids don't want to be friends with her for reporting shit like that, they aren't worth being friends with anyway. 

Something kind of like this happened to my sister and her friend in High School and the friend had some serious body image issues already, so my sister got ticked off and reported it to the school on her friend's behalf. I think she also made some public posts on facebook or somesuch calling out the bullies, which also helped get other kids on her side. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, cracked_belle said:

firstly, I am in love with my Fidget Cube. :D  I use it in work meetings and the like all the time, lol.

I definitely think they have a place! Unfortunately, I think that because, in schools, they are the "cool thing" to have - it's totally getting taken advantage of. My step-son is one of those kids who will zone in on playing with it instead of paying attention, so I'm just waiting for him to get it taken away. Have you seen the pens they have that are like fidget cubes?

46 minutes ago, cracked_belle said:

RE the kids;  those are some really tough situations to be in.  :/  I'm not sure about the bullying.  I was picked on a lot as a kid, but my parents raised me with thick skin, so I have no real advice for that.  can you talk to the school counselor without saying names?  (how old is she, again?)

She will turn 15 on Saturday. I think in her case, it's worse, because she is very concerned with looks and appearances. Now, I'm totally not sure where it came from, because she hasn't been raised that way. She is also definitely very sensitive too! Unfortunately, she also thinks that if she changes herself, they will stop AND that it's worth any cost to do so (this goes back to our conversation about braces and when we can afford to get them for her). 

2 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

WTF - that's awful. Your poor daughter. If other kids don't want to be friends with her for reporting shit like that, they aren't worth being friends with anyway.

We live in an area with a small town mentality - where things like reporting something like this isn't kept secret at all. It's such a shame because in every case I'm aware of, the person who ended up reporting something did not graduate from the local high school. So she does have a legitimate concern. Also, apparently Snapchat only allows for direct reporting of harassment in Australia?! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

My daughter is being bullied by some boys via Snapchat. They send her videos of the group of them saying how she is ugly and things like that. It is impacting her wanting to go to school. As a parent, I'm super frustrated. She doesn't want to report them, because she is afraid that the other kids will find out it was her and won't want to be friends with her anymore. Instead, she is getting very depressed. What the heck do you tell a kid that deals with this?! I mean, I know that the issue is with the bully and that it's not really about her. But how do you get an impressionable teenage girl to understand that these opinions shouldn't matter?

Zero advice.  Growing up the advice was always just ignore it and it will go away.  That didn't work and this caused plenty of mental issues for people my age.  My daughter is 11 and obsessed with being 'popular'.  So I'll be watching to see how you figure out so I can learn from you. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LadyShello said:

Zero advice.  Growing up the advice was always just ignore it and it will go away.  That didn't work and this caused plenty of mental issues for people my age.  My daughter is 11 and obsessed with being 'popular'.  So I'll be watching to see how you figure out so I can learn from you. 

Please do not try to learn anything from me! I have no idea what I am doing!

What I've done so far: empathized with my daughter. Whomever said that words don't hurt has never actually dealt with people saying mean things about them. Researched whether or not any state cyber schools were still accepting registrations for the current school year. Set up appointment for braces earlier than anticipated. Sent e-mail to school counselor to set up appointment to discuss options. 

I do tell my daughter that she shouldn't let people that don't matter know how much power their words have over her. I hate the whole "ignore" thing - it makes it seem like if the words hurt your feelings there is something wrong with you. So I'm all about recognizing that they do hurt, but not giving the person the satisfaction of knowing they were successful. 

• Like 7