Machete: From Simple to Sinister

Machete

So GB skills are starting to stall one by one. I'm going to narrow my focus once I stall them all out. A free handstand is definitely my missing link.

Following Pavel's Simple To Sinister program for swings pretty much as written. Rigged up a ghetto 37kg kettlebell, hoping to move to a 40kg. Just keeping the 32kg Getups until I can buy the next size up. Iron is not cheap.

Just came back from Seattle for an SFB Bodyweight Cert, which was awesome, especially for a little guy like me. Now I'm off to make people do one-arm pushups for the next year.

Also it's finals week. Hopefully I get to graduate.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Machete said:

So GB skills are starting to stall one by one. I'm going to narrow my focus once I stall them all out. A free handstand is definitely my missing link.

Ok, I'm going to own up to being a muppet....  I have no idea what GB stands for.  Help me out someone, please. :) 

Following Pavel's Simple To Sinister program for swings pretty much as written. Rigged up a ghetto 37kg kettlebell, hoping to move to a 40kg. Just keeping the 32kg Getups until I can buy the next size up. Iron is not cheap.

Thanks for for sharing that, it's really interesting.  Not that I can use it any time soon but it's going in the memory banks. 

Just came back from Seattle for an SFB Bodyweight Cert, which was awesome, especially for a little guy like me. Now I'm off to make people do one-arm pushups for the next year.

Also it's finals week. Hopefully I get to graduate.

Well done!  Your resume must be looking pretty impressive these days.  Good luck for the finals. 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

12 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Ok, I'm going to own up to being a muppet....  I have no idea what GB stands for.  Help me out someone, please. :) 

Gymnastic Bodies, a gymnastic strength training program. Kind of like Gold Metal Bodies, but way more about sets and reps rather than flow.

In the meantime! Awesome to see that you got something out of the SFB! And I hear you on the stallout. I honestly think it's just a matter of time. Have you found that it's okay for some skills to progress and others to lag? (like, maybe one of the three in Core lags or two of the three in Upper Body).

• Like 2
On 4/25/2017 at 4:02 AM, Guzzi said:

Thanks for for sharing that, it's really interesting.  Not that I can use it any time soon but it's going in the memory banks. 

Well done!  Your resume must be looking pretty impressive these days.  Good luck for the finals. 

Muppet. Would that be regional slang? :)

Thanks. I'm figuring that I need a lot more social skills to be able to do my job. I'm afraid I may be over-specializing.

18011017_10154325998321965_7955389156596

(I'm probably going to hell.)

19 hours ago, Kishi said:

Gymnastic Bodies, a gymnastic strength training program. Kind of like Gold Metal Bodies, but way more about sets and reps rather than flow.

In the meantime! Awesome to see that you got something out of the SFB! And I hear you on the stallout. I honestly think it's just a matter of time. Have you found that it's okay for some skills to progress and others to lag? (like, maybe one of the three in Core lags or two of the three in Upper Body).

Oh absolutely. And it's still an evolving program. The SLS has 4 progressions for F1 now. Back then it started with 15 Deck Squats. And entry for SL was 60s Arch Hold. Now I'm pretty much stalled on SL, SPL, and RC. Still working on FL (still at F1) and I'm scared of MN (which is a 30-second L-sit). SLS is still going easy though, with weighted lunges and back extensions, and I'm almost done with F4 for that. HBP F3 requires H1 mastery, so I would have to put that on the backburner for a while. I have the strength, I don't have the skill.

19 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

What was the SFB like? Have you been to the Bodyweight Course, and can compare the two? Inquiring minds want to know.

It was fantastic. You don't think about it, because you don't really sweat or breathe hard, but it's a very neurologically taxing two days. Lots of tension (which I'm better at than ballistic moves). It teaches you to strip movements down to patterns, allowing you to appropriately progress and regress.

Haven't been to the bodyweight course, but I heard it's more of a user course rather than a teaching one. There are principles, but no test. SFB tests a one-arm one-leg pushup, and I hear that of all the StrongFirst certs it has the lowest percentage of people who pass on that day.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Machete said:

Oh absolutely. And it's still an evolving program. The SLS has 4 progressions for F1 now. Back then it started with 15 Deck Squats. And entry for SL was 60s Arch Hold. Now I'm pretty much stalled on SL, SPL, and RC. Still working on FL (still at F1) and I'm scared of MN (which is a 30-second L-sit). SLS is still going easy though, with weighted lunges and back extensions, and I'm almost done with F4 for that. HBP F3 requires H1 mastery, so I would have to put that on the backburner for a while. I have the strength, I don't have the skill.

That is a whole slew of acronyms. Sadly I think I understand most of them.

• Like 1

Turned in the final project and exams. The week was not kind to me, but I was also eating like shit for some reason (that reason being I am a dumbass). Well, I guess we'll see how this goes...

b1fea9962bc5db954994f2b756a67802_10-chal

Crappy state of my HRV has had me doing my shadow swings twice this week. Heavy swings are killing my hands, and I may need to get back on a hand maintenance schedule. Heavy Getups are a bit awkward with my rig, so I'll have to wait and see if my 40kg order comes in. I was only able to hit SLS and Movement once, but I predict I'll be finished with SLS by next week.

• Like 5

Okay, GB forced me to deload, so I guess I have to... Which was fine, because Swing volume this week was insane and pretty unforgiving to my hands. Only hit Movement once and SLS once, though I've been working on flossing my shoulder dislocates.

Got to hang out with my old SFG 1 team leader, and an assistant instructor in my SFG 2 at a StrongFirst user course, which was a fantastic time. I feel I learned a lot, maybe even more than the participants. I love these people, I'm feel like I'm not as weird. There are apparently people way more obsessed with movement than I am.

Slacking on the BJJ, I'll need to pick that up. Also bought a grip dynamometer, which can be a great measure of CNS in the morning (to cross-reference with my HRV) and a tracker for my grip strength progress. (There's like a 10kg difference between my right and my left.)

• Like 5

Finally sacked-up and did my Hollow Rocks. 5 sets of 60. Christ almighty...

Also pulled my back, probably from too many swings. So a sore back and a sore midsection, the day has really been a sucky one. Also got baited on a sales call by Yodle, and because I'm a gullible idiot I'm going to have to spend Wednesday trying to undo that shit. But on the plus side, I'm done with F1.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Machete said:

Finally sacked-up and did my Hollow Rocks. 5 sets of 60. Christ almighty...

Thats insane! :o 

12 hours ago, Machete said:

Also pulled my back, probably from too many swings. So a sore back and a sore midsection, the day has really been a sucky one. Also got baited on a sales call by Yodle, and because I'm a gullible idiot I'm going to have to spend Wednesday trying to undo that shit. But on the plus side, I'm done with F1.

Sorry on both counts, but the sales call but made me chuckle and that was very welcome today. 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 5/9/2017 at 0:27 AM, Elastigirl said:

GB sounds super intense. Hope the back heals quickly.

On 5/9/2017 at 11:07 AM, Guzzi said:

Thats insane! :o 

Sorry on both counts, but the sales call but made me chuckle and that was very welcome today. 

Yeah, sometimes it seems excessive, and I've been on it since October. But hey, it takes time. Otherwise everyone would have a Front Lever.

Haha. Yeah, I'm pretty sure a mediocre salesperson could sell me a glass of water at a 2000% markup while I'm drowning.

• Like 3

Mostly took a break all week. I'll be showing up at open mat today to see how I feel, and maybe hit up some GB skills. I will probably be ditching the volume-waving on the S&S, as it seems to be interfering with my BJJ and GB, and might stick with the classic S&S protocol.

Covered a lot of classes this week at TITLE as well, and was able to work with a different group of folks than my usual morning crew. SFB has kind of nudged me into pushing for strength and working on Push-ups with everyone (pun intended). Everyone is doing Push-ups in unison. 8-second eccentric, staggered hand position if applicable. It frustrates me that women are made to believe that there is such a thing as "girl push-ups" and it seems to leave them doubting their strength and potential. It frustrates me even more when I see that they have been training for 2+ years and still haven't been taught better.

Of course my pedantic approach to training doesn't fly well with everyone. Most members just want to be tired. There are a select few who have bought into it, and they have improved immensely in their strength and technical proficiency. However, overall I feel like I am the least-popular trainer there. Probably because I sometimes come across as condescending when people still think that sweat and soreness are the indicators of good training. I always have to remind myself that my reality is not theirs. I'm generally fine with this as I'm paid per class, even when I've had people walk out of my class ("Good. Fewer people I'll have to explain this to.") but I'm still a guy, and there is something in my Biology that tells me to feel terrible when it is a young, attractive female who does it.

Meh. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. I'd work on improving my ability to get folks to buy-in, but historically, selling myself has never been my strong (or even mediocre) suit, and it's not for a lack of trying. Need a sales and marketing manager. Dammit, Yodle, still waiting on that refund.

• Like 4

I can see that being a problem for a trainer. A lot of people think that exhaustion= getting stronger. When in reality it usually equals injury. Hang in there, and build a solid client base. After people start seeing results then more people will  be willing to try it your way.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I can see that being a problem for a trainer. A lot of people think that exhaustion= getting stronger. When in reality it usually equals injury. Hang in there, and build a solid client base. After people start seeing results then more people will  be willing to try it your way.

I guess that's where the art of coaching comes in. Give them what they want, but add in what they need. I mean right now there are maybe 2-3 people who still can/will not sit in a rock-bottom squat (with front support), but otherwise almost everyone can hold it for about a minute, and I'm definitely taking credit for this so I'm getting some things right. I figured for the next few months I'll work on getting everyone's chest to the floor and elbows in for Push-ups before revisiting the Squat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Missed BJJ yesterday, but got my mat time today, and I'm feeling pretty good. I feel like I should be upping my frequency on this, because once a week might be just enough to not suck. I'd like to compete withing the year, as I missed all of last year.

Hit finally moving on to F2 with FL, and the the 30-sec L-Sit I was dreading was surprisingly doable. Onward then.

Back is still not comfortable, so I'll probably lay off the Swings. I'll see if it feels better Monday.

• Like 3

Hit up S&S today and my back is still acting up, so I'm going to go ahead and set it aside and double-down on my GB work. Hit some handstands, and got some cooking done. UFC Gym called me for a job interview, and the office was able to push in my paperwork so I should be graduating. Might be a good week. We'll see.

• Like 3

First off, I want to thank you for all your help re: training for the PFT. It paid off in a big way yesterday. I'm on the one-year plan before I need to retest. Goal for the year: get Simple.

Second off, UFC gym? That's exciting. Are you interviewing there as a trainer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Eeeek, sorry to hear that your back is acting up. That's not how that's supposed to happen. I guess my earlier question to you about sore backs was more pertinent than I knew.

And yeah, training clients. It's weird. The most important thing is getting them to show up - so that they get benefit, and so that you get paid. But just because you know the right thing, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll want to do it the right way. (the right thing in this case being the thing they want, and the right way being any given effective modality that would get them what they want). That's not something I ever really figured out, and it cost me. But it sounds like something that you're working toward, a bit at a time, and I'm sure you'll get it.

Hope you get to feeling better!

• Like 1