Machete: From Simple to Sinister

Machete

It frustrates me that women are made to believe that there is such a thing as "girl push-ups" and it seems to leave them doubting their strength and potential. It frustrates me even more when I see that they have been training for 2+ years and still haven't been taught better.

Of course my pedantic approach to training doesn't fly well with everyone. Most members just want to be tired. There are a select few who have bought into it, and they have improved immensely in their strength and technical proficiency. However, overall I feel like I am the least-popular trainer there. Probably because I sometimes come across as condescending when people still think that sweat and soreness are the indicators of good training. I always have to remind myself that my reality is not theirs. I'm generally fine with this as I'm paid per class, even when I've had people walk out of my class ("Good. Fewer people I'll have to explain this to.") but I'm still a guy, and there is something in my Biology that tells me to feel terrible when it is a young, attractive female who does it.

I'd come to your class, I'm interested in actually getting results, plus I think you're adorable, so there's that too. ;) 

• Like 3

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 5/15/2017 at 10:41 PM, mightstone2k said:

First off, I want to thank you for all your help re: training for the PFT. It paid off in a big way yesterday. I'm on the one-year plan before I need to retest. Goal for the year: get Simple.

Second off, UFC gym? That's exciting. Are you interviewing there as a trainer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Alpha Machete is thinking right now:

While Beta Machete has a headache. Haha

Anyway, you're already Swinging the 32kg. It might come sooner than you think. @Kishi initially thought Simple was with the 24kg, and he already owned that. But he found out it's 32kg, and I think it only took him a few weeks (was it?) to get that. Get the reps in. It's primarily skill, and it's surprisingly doable.

Yeah, interviewed for a trainer position. Went pretty well. Funny thing, my biggest rival from back in the Philippines (he'd be Ryu if I was Ken) also works at a UFC Gym.

On 5/16/2017 at 11:24 AM, Kishi said:

Eeeek, sorry to hear that your back is acting up. That's not how that's supposed to happen. I guess my earlier question to you about sore backs was more pertinent than I knew.

And yeah, training clients. It's weird. The most important thing is getting them to show up - so that they get benefit, and so that you get paid. But just because you know the right thing, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll want to do it the right way. (the right thing in this case being the thing they want, and the right way being any given effective modality that would get them what they want). That's not something I ever really figured out, and it cost me. But it sounds like something that you're working toward, a bit at a time, and I'm sure you'll get it.

Hope you get to feeling better!

Haha. Yep. Feeling a bit better now. I'm going to hold off on the Swings until next week at the very least.

Showing up is one of the most underrated things ever. Funny thing is that business goes right back to dating--an art I was never able to really learn. You need to define your product, you need to find whom you are selling it to, you need to expose yourself to that demographic constantly, you need to establish first contact and make the best impression to encourage further contact, and you need to maintain the relationship. By not learning how to do these steps adequately, I might as well just buy a fedora, call myself a so-called Nice Guy, and complain about how people only want to train with jerks. There's no escaping this I guess.

*This blurry line may also contribute to why some personal trainers find it so hard to maintain professionalism and keep having sex with their clients.

On 5/16/2017 at 1:10 PM, Guzzi said:

I'd come to your class, I'm interested in actually getting results, plus I think you're adorable, so there's that too. ;) 

Haha. Thank you, I try.

I'm very divisive, and I think that, from a philosophical standpoint, is a good thing. People either don't like my classes, or they try to go to every single one. That tells me that I am standing for principles that I believe in, instead of trying to cater to everyone. If you try to be everything to everyone, you become nothing to no one.

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, Machete said:

Anyway, you're already Swinging the 32kg. It might come sooner than you think. @Kishi initially thought Simple was with the 24kg, and he already owned that. But he found out it's 32kg, and I think it only took him a few weeks (was it?) to get that. Get the reps in. It's primarily skill, and it's surprisingly doable.

It wasn't very long, but I was practicing a lot more with that specific program. I was doing this 3-6 days a week. With that much practice, it was... simple. :D But mind, now that I'm going after a whole bunch of other things and trying to keep those going at the same time, it's going to take a while before I get to the point where I can swing the 40, and the jump from there to 48... ¯_(ツ)_/¯

49 minutes ago, Machete said:

Showing up is one of the most underrated things ever. Funny thing is that business goes right back to dating--an art I was never able to really learn. You need to define your product, you need to find whom you are selling it to, you need to expose yourself to that demographic constantly, you need to establish first contact and make the best impression to encourage further contact, and you need to maintain the relationship. By not learning how to do these steps adequately, I might as well just buy a fedora, call myself a so-called Nice Guy, and complain about how people only want to train with jerks. There's no escaping this I guess.

Eh. What is business but applied psychology? But yeah. I had a hard time billing myself as some kind of guru, and nobody wanted to hear that I was happily, blissfully ignorant. I probably could have got with a couple different outfits, but my take on training as a necessarily temporary relationship where you teach people how to train themselves kind of killed me. So. Meh.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Machete said:

This cracks me up. From the trainee perspective, there is also a fine line between, "I'm the trainer, I know what is best for you" and "I need to keep you happy so you keep coming to training." I've had a lot of trouble getting a good in person trainer because they stick too far on the happy side and not enough on the just train me dammit! side. But that's another art - I am sure a lot of people would prefer the other way. 

18 hours ago, Machete said:

*This blurry line may also contribute to why some personal trainers find it so hard to maintain professionalism and keep having sex with their clients.

This actually happens? I thought it was just in movies. 

• Like 1
On 5/18/2017 at 3:27 PM, Kishi said:

Eh. What is business but applied psychology? But yeah. I had a hard time billing myself as some kind of guru, and nobody wanted to hear that I was happily, blissfully ignorant. I probably could have got with a couple different outfits, but my take on training as a necessarily temporary relationship where you teach people how to train themselves kind of killed me. So. Meh.

ABC-Always-Be-Closing-Alec-Baldwin-Quote

That's what I was talking about today. A lot of people who go on to become trainers are gym bros. (The others are probably the nerds who could never play sports and tried to level themselves up in the gym so they eventually could.) There's not a lot of EQ going on there, which is ironic and unfortunate since coaching is one of the jobs that require the most EQ.

The over-saturation of under-priced trainers who are predominantly concerned with giving customers a beatdown kind of gives people the wrong expectations. You'd really have to seek out those who are not really looking for that, and chances are they aren't even in the gym to begin with--they're spinning their wheels at the apartment gym, or hiding out at a Planet Fitness (because apparently they're not a gym).

On 5/19/2017 at 8:57 AM, Sylvaa said:

This cracks me up. From the trainee perspective, there is also a fine line between, "I'm the trainer, I know what is best for you" and "I need to keep you happy so you keep coming to training." I've had a lot of trouble getting a good in person trainer because they stick too far on the happy side and not enough on the just train me dammit! side. But that's another art - I am sure a lot of people would prefer the other way. 

This actually happens? I thought it was just in movies. 

I know. That's why it's so easy to coach nerds--they're probably already tracking metrics, despite not knowing. That, and it's easier to explain the concept of progressive leveling-up.

I've heard stories. I imagine that's why some people have specific gender preferences for potential hires. I don't know, when I [used to] hang around with younger people I feel like literally everyone is having sex with each other all the time. (I can't even comprehend the concept of Tinder in real life, but apparently it's a thing.) It's a job usually taken by young people, and the gym for some reason is seen as a pick-up joint.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, FL is moving along nicely. From the looks of it, this might be smooth sailing all the way through the end. Might have hit my roadblock on the final stage of SLS.

Got volunteered into leading Boot Camp this month. Turned it into strength camp. Tension work, lots of rest, heavy swings, and loaded carries. Still taking me a while to teach Swings to people who are unfamiliar with the hinge. I'm thinking being put on the spot makes it harder.

• Like 2
On 5/21/2017 at 5:53 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I must have missed something. I don't know what the initials mean. But, nice job and stuff.

Haha. They're the skills from GymnasticBodies. It's like a big inside joke here, we're speaking like CrossFitters.

Anyway, Simple to Sinister didn't pan out too well. I might have overdone it and hurt my back. BJJ attendance is also quite inconsistent, so I intend to address that. GB skills are still moving, and I might place particular focus on Straddle Planche and Manna while my back recovers, just because they look cool and I've been trying since 2012.

• Like 1

Anyway, Simple to Sinister didn't pan out too well. I might have overdone it and hurt my back. BJJ attendance is also quite inconsistent, so I intend to address that. GB skills are still moving, and I might place particular focus on Straddle Planche and Manna while my back recovers, just because they look cool and I've been trying since 2012.

Can you elaborate on the not panning out too well? As self-centered as it may sound, I'd like to learn from someone else's poor experience in order to avoid potential pitfalls later #mercenaryscum

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

10 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

Can you elaborate on the not panning out too well? As self-centered as it may sound, I'd like to learn from someone else's poor experience in order to avoid potential pitfalls later #mercenaryscum

The main reason I like Simple & Sinister is I can do other stuff. It just turned out to be too much volume for me, and I ended up hurting my back. I'm probably just sticking with the classic program for a while.