• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax ~ let slip the dogs of war

One of my favourite Shakespeare lines, I don't imagine you could say that out loud without sounding like a badass, and I need more badassery in my life, so I shall endeavour to embody all that is encompassed in that line.

Goal 1 ~ Set Up for Success

Go to bed at 11 on work nights, midnight on non-work nights. Up with the alarm all mornings on which one is set.

It really clicked for me in the last challenge how much easier things are to accomplish when I've had good rest (I mean, I knew this, but apparently I didn't really KNOW this). My job is such that I will have disrupted sleep some nights, since I'm on call and could be called out for emergencies at any time, but when that happens, I need to find a way to persevere the next day and do the thing anyway. The 'getting up' part is harder than the 'going to bed' part, but I struggle with both at times. 

Score: 0/28; 0/28

Goal 2 ~ Stretching and Physio and Yoga, Oh My!

I'm doing physio for some hip/glute issues I've got going on, so the goal is to do that plus some stretching every day. I also quite like the NF yoga (though I've only done Water A so far), but it takes longer than my regular stretching and I don't always have the mental energy needed to do it, so I'll aim to do it 2x/week in place of regular stretching.

Score: 0/28 (overall); /8 (yoga only)

Goal 3 ~ Stick to the Workout Plan

My schedule for the next while will be a bit all over the place, since two coworkers are going away for 6 weeks of training and I'm the only person available to train the new people. I'll go back to making weekly plans based on my work schedule, and then I'll stick with them. See above for persevering on less-than-ideal days.

The plan will consist of 2x strength workouts/week and 2x regular runs/week and 1x intervals/week, in some order as to fit between work shifts. If I have to run on the treadmill when I'm on call, I will, but as many runs as possible will be outside. I will also be playing hockey once per week, on Sundays, staring in May. This can't replace any other workout during the week, it's extra.

Score: /4

Goal 4 ~ Pushups

I'm putting it separate from the workout goal, since I keep forgetting. I can get 10 good ones, plus another 5-7 wobbly ones, so I think I'll start by doing 3 sets of 10 every other day for the length of the challenge, then retest my max. I need to increase my numbers to being able to do at least 37 in one set, for future police testing. This one isn't as urgent as the running, but slow and steady will get me there eventually, and I find I tend to stall easily on these, even when I'm consistent. This time it's about consistent practice, and I'll work on increasing numbers from there.

Score: /14

Goal 5 ~ Stick to the Food Plan

I signed up for 2 months of Eat to Perform about 1/2 way through the last challenge. So far I'm doing well at sticking to their prescribed macros (mostly), and I'm not anticipating having too much trouble with this one. However, the aforementioned wonky work schedule leads to some weeks where I don't have 2 days off in a row, so I'll have to make sure I'm buckling down on the meal planning in those weeks.

Score: 1/28

Note

In the last challenge I said I wanted to go to a Monday-Sunday week, so I had 2 days at the end to catch up if needed. With the wonky work schedule, that doesn't matter so much, so I'll stay with the Sunday-Saturday week for now. When I get my weekends back, I may change again, we'll see.

(Edit: changed the order of the goals to reflect my priority, and fixed the scores on pushups and stretching goals)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Image result for star trek six  gif

My first thought when I read that line.

Following.

Indeed. I'd actually forgotten about that. I'm going for slightly less crazy, though...

When I read it, I hear it in the voice of Lucien LeChance from Oblivion. The voice actor does a lot of different voices in the game (and Skyrim too), and for some reason that's just how my brain hears it.

• Like 1

Zero Day Tuesday

Ran after work, the river route, I forget now what the distance is but it's almost but not quite 5k. Time was 26:something, which was faster than last time, surprisingly, it felt slow, my legs felt leaden. I did manage to pick it up a bit at the end, from the sewer grate to the bridge, maybe 150m or so, maybe that was the difference?

Question for any Fitbit users that might be reading this: if I use the activities on my Fitbit watch to record a workout (in this case, this run), and don't take note of the exact time when I finish, is there a way to find out my time afterwards? I can't seem to figure it out, but it seems to me that would be a piece of information more than one person would like to know, and therefore that it must be retrievable...

On track-ish for ETP, I'm rather over on fat, someone at work bought doughnuts for everyone, just to be nice, and it's hard to say no to that kind of generosity... Physio and stretching to come.

Edit: And now I'm so cold! The wind was really cold as I was running and I was a tad underdressed, and now I can't get warm! This time of year sucks for outfit planning, especially when the outfit involves wicking material...

Edit: Pt. 2: Scratch what I said about being on track with ETP, I didn't eat my planned dinner, I just wasn't hungry after my run, then I made some poor choices involving mini-eggs right before bed...............

Edited by obax
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, obax said:

Question for any Fitbit users that might be reading this: if I use the activities on my Fitbit watch to record a workout (in this case, this run), and don't take note of the exact time when I finish, is there a way to find out my time afterwards? I can't seem to figure it out, but it seems to me that would be a piece of information more than one person would like to know, and therefore that it must be retrievable...

Not on the watch itself.  On the phone-app or website yes.   On the phone app dashboard, there should be a tile (if you set it to show) that shows Days out of How Many Exercise... click on that, and it should bring up your history of workouts and have access to details.   Likewise, on the website proper, add the 'recent exercise' tile to your dashboard, and you can click on that to get more deets. :)

I have the same issue on the runs after warm but maybe chilly, so hot, then cold sweats, then chilled.    And man, I hate that whole, not hungry after a run thing.  

On 2017-04-18 at 11:25 PM, Starpuck said:

Not on the watch itself.  On the phone-app or website yes.   On the phone app dashboard, there should be a tile (if you set it to show) that shows Days out of How Many Exercise... click on that, and it should bring up your history of workouts and have access to details.   Likewise, on the website proper, add the 'recent exercise' tile to your dashboard, and you can click on that to get more deets. :)

I have the same issue on the runs after warm but maybe chilly, so hot, then cold sweats, then chilled.    And man, I hate that whole, not hungry after a run thing.  

Ah ha! I found it! I'd actually already looked there but not close enough. They don't make it easy, as it turns out, dunno if that's a setting of mine or just the way it is. I shall have to explore more when it's not past-my-bedtime-o'clock... Thanks!!!!!!!!

Zero Week Wednesday

Busy day, met a friend for coffee after work, then a physio appointment, then ran home and ate dinner since I hadn't eaten since 11, then went to softball practice (which was freezing and mainly involved me shivering in the outfield, but I did hit all the pitches. Hurt my hand, gotta get me some gloves, but I hit them! Also, discovered I've become afraid of the ball when it's hit/thrown towards me... This is totally out of nowhere, I used to play catch for fun on the regular). Then went out for wildlife trivia, which of course we won, because the whole team was animal nerds.

You may notice, no workout was involved in all that. I also didn't do physio or stretching, other than the appointment....

Zero Week Thursday

Gym, Stronglifts B.

SQ - 65lb

OHP - 50lb

DL - 105lb

Squats were fine. Not much more to say about that.

OHP was hard, but I got all the reps. I really can't imagine I can go to 55lb next time, I'll have to remember my baseball weights.

DL felt less good than last time. Most of the reps felt ok, one felt like I was rounding my back a bit, and my back was a bit tired/sore after. Did the same warmup exercise as last time, and that felt less good than last time too, so I'm thinking it's some kind of mobility or ROM issue...

Also did 5x35sec planks, and 3x10 pushups.

Did my physio and stretching after work. Got a late emergency call so had to go out right as I was about to turn off my light (on time!), and didn't get back to bed and sleepy 'til after 1...

Zero Week Friday

After the lack of sleep last night, I was so tired today, and I didn't eat well either (the food I ate was fine, but I didn't eat enough of it or at good times (first meal was 1:30pm). The cupcake ruined my macros a little bit, I will admit...)

Got home and fell asleep almost immediately. That's not unusual, I often have a 30 minute snooze after work (not fully asleep, usually, but dozing), but this was a full on nap, 2 hours long. It made me feel more tired, right now I'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open. So workout didn't happen... Gonna do my intervals tomorrow, which will make 2 runs and 2 gyms, which is not my goal but closer than I've come in a while.

Physio will be done, though I really don't want to, I just want to sleep. I might leave out that one exercise that's a legit workout, though it's good for me, but I don't think I have the energy to do it properly... Stretching will likely be somewhat less than thorough...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

A little late, but here for the badassery (and a field full of labs) :D 

You can't be late if the challenge hasn't started yet, I was just ahead of the game, for once.

The field full of labs actually looks a little creepy from the air, but I'd still throw myself into the middle of it. Dogs make everything better.

• Like 1

Geez  woman!   You just have so much on your plate and going on all the time.     I know you've made some discoveries on sleep lately, but I just don't see how on earth you can get your sleeps in, and all your other stuff going too.   I am a firm believer in listening to the body though, so if you need sleep and rest after lots of stuff, do it.  Sleep and rest!   I heard somewhere (and I admit I don't know if it's just a gimmick line or not) that its the sleep/rest part of training that all the magic really happens.   *shrug* Hehe, I dunno!

9 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Geez  woman!   You just have so much on your plate and going on all the time.     I know you've made some discoveries on sleep lately, but I just don't see how on earth you can get your sleeps in, and all your other stuff going too.   I am a firm believer in listening to the body though, so if you need sleep and rest after lots of stuff, do it.  Sleep and rest!   I heard somewhere (and I admit I don't know if it's just a gimmick line or not) that its the sleep/rest part of training that all the magic really happens.   *shrug* Hehe, I dunno!

Hi Kettle! So nice to meet you, I'm Pot!! Just in case you didn't notice, we're both black!  :)

Sleep wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the overnight on-calls. Even when I don't get called, I don't sleep as well, and when I do get called, it all goes out the window... I actually think I'd rather have a night shift than an on-call shift...

• Like 3

Sunday - In Between

So I've changed my mind about changing my mind about making my week Sunday-Saturday. I'm going back to Monday-Sunday, which means the challenge doesn't officially start for me until tomorrow. The reason for this is, I have every Sunday off, and it's the perfect day to prepare for the upcoming week. It seems more natural for that to be the last day of the old week rather than the first day of the new week, so that's what I'm doing.

As for today, I spent the whole day cooking and didn't really get outside at all, which sucks because it was a beautiful day. But (most of) my meals for next week are cooked and ready to go. I made these things:

Souvlaki Bowls, but with chicken instead of salmon, and I haven't made a grain to go with it yet.

Sweet Potato Bacon Bowls, and added mushrooms.

Vietnamese Caramelized Chicken Bowls (the recipe is for pork but I used chicken), I tried a bit and OMG it's amazing. I'm shredding carrot and using left over kale slaw mix to go with it.

Other than that, didn't do much. ETP was pretty off, I didn't have much food left over from last week so had to kind of cobble things together and didn't really meet macros well. Physio and stretching will come later, right now I'm lazing after cooking all day...

• Like 4

If you have time (and a bathtub!), I think a hot bath is the best thing for when you've gotten chilled on a run. Sometimes it can take me hours after running to feel like my body temperature is normal. A bath really helps. And feels very luxurious. Almost free. No calories.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Xena said:

If you have time (and a bathtub!), I think a hot bath is the best thing for when you've gotten chilled on a run. Sometimes it can take me hours after running to feel like my body temperature is normal. A bath really helps. And feels very luxurious. Almost free. No calories.

My only problem is, I don't fit in my bathtub, it's very uncomfortable to sit in. That said, I do love a good, long, hot shower. Hopefully the nice weather sticks around, though, and then it's not a problem :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, obax said:

Hi Kettle! So nice to meet you, I'm Pot!! Just in case you didn't notice, we're both black!  :)

Hehehe, we wouldn't be near twins if we weren't both black cooking utensils, right?   >.>

I also struggle to get into baths.   I just can't get comfy.  I think if I had one of those ... what do you call them, footed tubs, super deep, and you can fully submerge, yeah, I could get into that.   But otherwise, newp. Hot shower please!

• Like 1

Monday the First

Missed my bedtime last night, for no reason, just lost track of time, then slept poorly. Got up only 15 minutes late this morning, which actually qualifies as progress compared to normal, but not quite on time.

Ran after work. I was pretty tired and my legs felt pretty heavy, but I only stopped at my usual spot at the turn-around. Did the river route (just shy of 5k) in 26:45, which is 7 seconds slower than last time. I should not do my short walk at the turn-around next time and see what difference that makes to my time...

On track with the ETP. Meal planning is hard, I'm short 7 whole meals this week. I might get the stuff to make more of the Vietnamese Chicken Bowl, I ate one today for lunch with all the stuff mixed in and it was soooooo good. Maybe that plus some yoghurt-type concoction for breakfast a couple days should do me.

Physio and stretching to come later.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Starpuck said:

I also struggle to get into baths.   I just can't get comfy.  I think if I had one of those ... what do you call them, footed tubs, super deep, and you can fully submerge, yeah, I could get into that.   But otherwise, newp. Hot shower please!

Try being six feet tall and overweight.

My feat for Week 1 of the Ranger Mini:

Ruck like this?

31b02b4e8a940a86550c3caeafa5637f.gif

Maybe slightly less weight than 1Mjr............. Gotta start small and work up to it.

But go like this!

Deadpool-deadpool-2016-39701597-500-250.

Oh, but when........?

(The answer is Sunday, probably, because I make my own weeks and Sunday is still week 1. Also, bonus goal: watch Deadpool so I get the jokes...)

• Like 4

Tuesday the First

To bed on time last night, and *gasp* up on time this morning!!

Gym, Stronglifts A:

SQ - 70lb

BP - 55lb

ROW - 30lb

Squats were ok, I've really been feeling my glutes activating on the upwards push lately, but today not as much (and I did do the monster walk warmup). The first 2-3 reps felt good, then the last few felt much more quad-dominant. No idea on this...

Bench press felt good. I realized after the 2nd set that I was shrugging my shoulders up, which I also tend to do when I do pushups, so I focused on keeping them down, and it felt so different. It actually felt more powerful, like my pecs were working better, but also harder towards the end of each set, and my arms feel much more tired than usual. Gonna try to focus on this with pushups too (I usually do, but they creep up there on their own...)

Rows were DB rows, repeated at 30lb. Felt a little better than last time, still tough by the end though. Will stay here one more time, then think about increasing.

Also did 5x35s planks, which were slightly easier than last time. Will do pushups after work, give my shoulders/arms a bit of a rest after the bench press today. Physio and stretching after work too.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, obax said:

My feat for Week 1 of the Ranger Mini:

Ruck like this?

31b02b4e8a940a86550c3caeafa5637f.gif

Maybe slightly less weight than 1Mjr............. Gotta start small and work up to it.

Omg.  This is the best gif ever!   I love cosplayers.  They are so great.      And good plan on working back up to lifting 1mjr!

(I also super love your mjr abbreviation for the weight of a Mjolnir!!!!)

You are my favorite Obax!!!!!!

On 23/04/2017 at 11:04 PM, obax said:

My only problem is, I don't fit in my bathtub, it's very uncomfortable to sit in. That said, I do love a good, long, hot shower. Hopefully the nice weather sticks around, though, and then it's not a problem :)

On my wishlist for my eventual house to buy is a bathtub big enough for a grown adult to fit into!

• Like 1