61c020edc301888af98c8dc2ace9eb12.jpg

"We are a famously stealin' folk. Aren't we, lads? Whut's it we're famous for?"

"Stealin'!" shouted the blue men.

"And what else, lads?"

"Fightin'!"

"And what else?"

"Drinkin'!"

"And what else?"

There was a certain amount of thought about this, but they all reached the same conclusion.

"Drinkin' and fightin'!"

"And there was summat else," muttered the twiddler. "Ach, yes. Tell the hag, lads!"

"Stealin' an' drinkin' an' fightin'!" shouted the blue men cheerfully.

"Tell the wee hag who we are, lads," said the helmet twiddler.

There was the scrape of many small swords being drawn and thrust into the air.

"Nac Mac Feegle! The Wee Free Men! Nae king! Nae quin! Nae Laird! Nae master! We willna be fooled again!"

Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

Ach, it's time for another Feegle challenge. Bein' a Feegle challenge, it's got four parts, ye ken. It's got the stealin' and the drinkin' and the lyin' and the fightin', and that's all ye need.

Goals:

• Stealin'
  • Drinkin'
  • Lyin'
  • Fightin'
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'm not sure what's going on here, but I don't want to miss it.

Och, ye dinnae kin ta Feegle laddie? Yer in fer a right treat.

I be Not-as-Big-as-Medium-Sized-Tank-but-Bigger-Than-Wee-Tank Tank the gonnagle! And I be followin tae challenge here.

Image result for nac mac feegle

oooOOOOoooOOOOooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ta' Sloth nae kin ta Feegle

An hi' brain tries ta wiggle

it's way roun jus who we be.

One thin ya kin say is we're wee,

Ye might also say we be free,

Ye say these things and then,

Ye say that we be men.

Nae king, nae quin, nae lairds,

We won't be fooled again!

• Like 4

Crivens!  I ha' t' brush up on my Feegle speak! 

Aye, Gonnagle! Tha' was some right bad poetry, that' was.  W' poetry that bad leadin' t' way, the Fightin' Feegle can't help but win! 

(also, following for the awesomeness that is a Feegle challenge and Not-as-Big-as-Medium-Sized-Tank-but-Bigger-Than-Wee-Tank Tank's continuing fantastic demonstration o' right proper Gonnagle poetry)

• Like 4

Week 0: Day 1

Drinkin'

Under a technicality, we're counting water here, as water is uisce, which is to say whisky. 

Drink the uisce (Liters of water): 3 points (Ounces: 88/128)

Stealin'

Often it's the stealin' of ships, ye ken, ships bein' the wee hairy beasties ye turn into mutton kebabs. Or the odd coo, nothin' like a good roast beast.

Eat all the beasties (Carbs under 20%): 0 points

Gobble the beasties down fast (IF): Sorta 16/8, because I had a late snack.  Oh well.

Lyin'

Ach, well, this'd be mainly the lyin' doon.

Lyin' doon a' nicht (Between 10-11pm): 0 points

Size o' the lyin' doon (Hours of sleep): 7 points

Fightin'

Prepare to do th'fightin' (5 minutes of meditation): 2 points (10 minutes)

Fight (get to the dojo): 0 points

Oh waily, waily, it didnae work out the nicht.

Total points: 23 points

Right.  That's yer lot, ye scunners, I'm offski.

• Like 3

WTF AIKIKAI WHY SO BAROQUE AND INEFFICIENT.  I'm 75% sure that kotagaeshi technique had far more steps than it needed.  75%, because I don't totally remember it.  But I can guarantee I have never, ever done footwork like that delaying the tenkan.  Everything in tonight's class felt like it had extra moves for the sake of it.  It was a frustrating class.  Also, one dude was patronizing.

Week 0: Day 2

Drinkin'

Drink the uisce (Liters of water): 3 points

Stealin'

Eat all the beasties (Carbs under 20%): 0 points

Gobble the beasties down fast (IF): Pretty sure I didn't even make 16/8.

Lyin'

Lyin' doon a' nicht (Between 10-11pm): 0 points

Fightin'

Fight (get to the dojo): NA

Total points: 12 points

Week 0: Day 3

Drinkin'

Drink the uisce (Liters of water): 4 points

Stealin'

Eat all the beasties (Carbs under 20%): 1 points

Gobble the beasties down fast (IF): 18/6

Oh, waily, waily, still no roast ship for mae dinner.  One point for tryin' to cut down the non-beasties, but it wasnae a good day on that front.  It was full of bigjob food, and ye cannae live on that.

Lyin'

Lyin' doon a' nicht (Between 10-11pm): 5 points

Size o' the lyin' doon (Hours of sleep): 10 points

An early nicht the nicht.  I wis tryin' tae get All The Sleep.  And I did!  But it didnae help.  I wis fair knackered today and near fell asleep meditating.

Fightin'

Fight (get to the dojo): 10

Total points: 32 points

11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

WTF AIKIKAI WHY SO BAROQUE AND INEFFICIENT.  I'm 75% sure that kotagaeshi technique had far more steps than it needed.  75%, because I don't totally remember it.  But I can guarantee I have never, ever done footwork like that delaying the tenkan.  Everything in tonight's class felt like it had extra moves for the sake of it.  It was a frustrating class.  Also, one dude was patronizing.

ooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooOOoooooOooOooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Words we dinna ken

mean somethin' wa' overworked

'twere all over done and then,

some scunner were a big fat jerk

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Were you doing the version with two tenkans? My personal opinion is that is a misubi exercise. The only time someone would put in an extra tenkan in a conflict situation is to position uke in the way of the next attacker. Which is highly effective if you can pull it off. B)

My sympathy on patronizing aikidoka. That sucks and should NEVER HAPPEN. How to encourage new people to come back - NOT.

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

ooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooOOoooooOooOooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Words we dinna ken

mean somethin' wa' overworked

'twere all over done and then,

some scunner were a big fat jerk

Crivens!  How'd we ever manage without a gonnagle?  I cannae think.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mistr said:

Were you doing the version with two tenkans? My personal opinion is that is a misubi exercise. The only time someone would put in an extra tenkan in a conflict situation is to position uke in the way of the next attacker. Which is highly effective if you can pull it off. B)

It might have been.  They were sure teaching it as two tenkans in a row, though I was unclear on whether that was meant to elide into one when done at speed.  But stepping off the line and then doing a tenkan, and then another tenkan?  That's like three footwork steps, for what I'm certain can be done with a single tenkan.

(The whole "just step off the line" business feels unusual to me.  If it isn't irimi or tenkan, why bother.  It's wasting time.  Move where you need to move.)

10 hours ago, Mistr said:

My sympathy on patronizing aikidoka. That sucks and should NEVER HAPPEN. How to encourage new people to come back - NOT.

He meant well.  He was just having an "I'm an older man and you're a younger woman, so I'm going to teach you about life" moment while trying to be chatty, and decided he was going to lecture me on not missing classes and then after class he told me how to change my lifestyle to lose weight.  I'm all, "dude, you've met me two or three times, you're not particularly senior here, you don't know what sort of hours I work, and you're not my doctor".  I mean, it was all politely done, so there was at least that, but I was rolling my eyes a little.  I can make my own decisions about which classes to attend, and I'm aware of what I weigh and what my lifestyle is.  I promise you, dude, I'm better informed on those subjects than you.  I might take a long time to learn his name.

• Like 3

Week 0: Day 4

Drinkin'

Drink the uisce (Liters of water): 4 points

I'll admit, I havnae good records, but it feels like four liters.

Stealin'

Eat all the beasties (Carbs under 20%): 4 points

Gobble the beasties down fast (IF): 20/4

It isnae a coo, but I have better grub.  It wasnae under 20%, but it was mostly in the paleo-or-low-carb family, it was near enough calories, and I even got the IF goal, so I'm giving points for marked improvement.  It was the sort of fail I'd like to have, where mostly things are in the right place, as opposed to the other sort.

Lyin'

Fightin'

Total points: 23 points

• Like 2

Week 0: Day 5

Drinkin'

Drink the uisce (Liters of water): 3 points

Stealin'

Eat all the beasties (Carbs under 20%): 4 points

Gobble the beasties down fast (IF): 20/4 + some chicken

It isnae quite 20/4 IF, because I had some chicken, it's true, but... but 'tis close enough for week zero.

Lyin'

An' a good lyin' doon it was, too.

Fightin'

Prepare to do th'fightin' (5 minutes of meditation): TBA points (10 minutes)

Total points: 19 points

• Like 3

On 4/20/2017 at 10:39 PM, sarakingdom said:

He meant well.  He was just having an "I'm an older man and you're a younger woman, so I'm going to teach you about life" moment while trying to be chatty, and decided he was going to lecture me on not missing classes and then after class he told me how to change my lifestyle to lose weight.  I'm all, "dude, you've met me two or three times, you're not particularly senior here, you don't know what sort of hours I work, and you're not my doctor".  I mean, it was all politely done, so there was at least that, but I was rolling my eyes a little.  I can make my own decisions about which classes to attend, and I'm aware of what I weigh and what my lifestyle is.  I promise you, dude, I'm better informed on those subjects than you.  I might take a long time to learn his name.

Huh. Too bad you don't actually initiate throws in aikido. You could use some training in that so you can not so passively aggress him through a window. :P

• Like 1

On 4/20/2017 at 11:39 PM, sarakingdom said:

Condescendingly explaining stuff is a thing, and I wish it was more widely recognized as rude. Cuz, like, to me, there is nothing at all polite about assuming you know a stranger's life more than they do, nor is there anything polite about giving un-asked-for advice on a topic unrelated to the point at hand. Like, if you'd mentioned you were trying to lose weight and asked for advice that'd be one thing, but for him to just come out and throw it out there, it's kind of an unspoken, "You have more weight than I deem acceptable and I assume you are either stupid or have been living under a rock somewhere and have never heard of healthy eating, active lifestyle, and portion control." It's insulting to your intelligence and competence, even if it's delivered in a mild tone with a smile.  Sorry you had to put up with it.

Ah loove everythin' abit thes challenge an' jist tint it at: Lyin' doon a' nicht / Size o' th' lyin' doon

Glad tae see yoo're keepin' th' +++O U T  O F  A P O S T R O P H E S+++

Damnit. This thing keeps crashing. Hang on.

Glad tae see yoo're keepin' th' Wee Free Men close tae yer heart. Canty week 1!

• Like 3

On 4/22/2017 at 1:06 PM, Kishi said:

Huh. Too bad you don't actually initiate throws in aikido. You could use some training in that so you can not so passively aggress him through a window. :P

Ummmmmmm, actually, we do. If uke does not attack the way you want, you put your hand in their face to get them to move. With peace and harmony, of course.  Not for beginners.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mistr said:

Ummmmmmm, actually, we do. If uke does not attack the way you want, you put your hand in their face to get them to move. With peace and harmony, of course.  Not for beginners.

Ah! I did not know that. Although, if I may point out, it sounds like you're still waiting on uke to initiate the attack. Does hand-in-face still apply if uke doesn't attack at all?

10 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Ah! I did not know that. Although, if I may point out, it sounds like you're still waiting on uke to initiate the attack. Does hand-in-face still apply if uke doesn't attack at all?

At the higher levels the difference between uke and nage disappears. Aikido still maintains the non-violent philosophy. If uke doesn't attack at all, you have a pleasant discussion and go out for beers. Or just walk away. No aggressive intent, no need for response.

The hand-in-face move shows up most often in randori. The senior (7th dan) sensei at the seminar this weekend had some interesting views on randori. She said that it is a lot more fun and effective for nage to have the attitude of being the predator and not the prey. The ukes know they are supposed to attack nage. A good nage makes that happen on her time, not theirs. An uke might come in with the idea of punching. That changes quickly when nage gets in their face.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mistr said:

At the higher levels the difference between uke and nage disappears. Aikido still maintains the non-violent philosophy. If uke doesn't attack at all, you have a pleasant discussion and go out for beers. Or just walk away. No aggressive intent, no need for response.

So, as I thought. No matter what, you have to maintain a certain passivity (not in the sense of being weak and letting things happen, but in the sense of flowing with what a situation gives you).

Which I didn't mean to turn into some kind of martial philosophy talk! Because you of all people know how bad I am at those. All I was trying to do was just give @sarakingdom a good-natured ribbing in the spirit of some comments she's made to me before about dealing with difficult people.

On 4/22/2017 at 1:06 PM, Kishi said:

Defenestration is usually the answer. 

• Like 5