Jean's Crucible

Hey Jean, welcome to the party! Two questions for you:

- What are you using to track your diet?

- Do you have a plan for cutting out soda? Eg scaling down every week, getting alternate sources of caffeine and/or sugar, swapping soda for water? I only ask because I've seen a lot of people jump in head first and get caught off guard by withdrawal headaches and such. 

Caffiene doesn't bother me, something to do with the ADHD I think, and I've always got a headache anyway, so caffeine headaches are an "eh." I'm quitting cold turkey. If I don't quit something cold turkey I can't do it. I start out at 6 a day for example and go

cut 1

cut 2 

cut 3

aw one more wont hurt anything just for today back to 4

back to 5

back to 6 

I did well I can have another extra, and now I'm at 7 a day.

I do cold turkey, I'm just done.

I'm starting out by switching soda with anything. Water, juice,  tea, Gatorade, and if I drank even alcohol would be ok until I get used to not drinking soda. I'm just trying to get used to saying no.

As far as tracking Diet, I'm probably just going to use a little hand notebook.

• Like 1

Thanks, I appreciate it from both of you. :) 

I may end up having to change the crunches goal though, I've been having upper back problems* when I get home at night caused by work. I'm ok in the morning, so I may change it to every morning, but at night it's really bad.

*Where my back and shoulder blade meet at arm level, sometimes it feels like indigestion, sometimes it feels like it needs to pop, and sometimes it feels like I just need to stretch, but always feels painful when the problems return nightly. I'm doing something wrong at work and I can't tell if it's from a lack of arm muscle or just bad technique. I'm rocking my body with a locked arm onto an object for more force, I don't realize I'm doing it until I start to hurt. Once or twice doesn't bother me, but after about the 300th time for the night I start to have issues.

• Like 1

Goals look solid. Brevity is the soul of wit, as they say :D

On 4/18/2017 at 2:37 PM, Jean de Muret said:

I've always got a headache anyway

As someone who previously struggled with chronic headaches, this raised a red flag for me. When you say you've always got a headache, do you mean literally always? How severe are they? 

I am from a family where being tough and not complaining and working through the pain were all highly prized attributes, and I spent many years dealing with chronic headaches (and still working, studying, etc.) before it finally became enough of an issue that I sought help for it. Turns out life is way better without having a headache all the damn time! And although I thought it didn't really affect me and I could just work through the discomfort, the truth is that nobody is actually above biology, and it does impact our performance negatively even if we can't realize it at the time. It wasn't until I was free of headaches that I realized the impact they were having.

If you have access to health care, I encourage you to talk to someone about it. If you have already and gotten nowhere, consider trying again.

• Like 1

I really don't have access, I can't afford insurance right now. Yes, it is always, but I'm beginning to think it's a dehydration thing because when I start to drink more water it subsides. However, the moment I get used to drinking the amount of water I moved up to they come back. It's also tied to my misaligned TMJ.

• Like 2

Mine were tied to TMJ issues as well. I went for 6 sessions with a massage therapist who specializes in TMJ problems, and that was really helpful. And then she gave me some exercises to try to correct the alignment. They were a pain in the ass but they did make a big difference.

Caffeine was another factor for me. Once I gave it up, I saw an improvement (after the initial withdrawal went away).

At any rate, good luck!! Focus on drinking more water and get the TMJ stuff looked at once you have coverage.

• Like 1

Going over budgeting for this month and it looks like my last goal isn't actually possible, so I'm going to have to change it a bit. 

I figure it's better to salvage the goal and shoot for something possible than to just admit defeat on day 3 of the challenge.

So instead of "Pay my bills a month in advance." I'm going to change it to 

"Clean my entire house." Very possible, yet still challenging. I'll give myself a bonus point if I can figure out where the swamp in my laundry room is originating.

• Like 2

Like the adjustment, and the attitude behind it. 

Not sure if you're talking about a leak or something else, but when I had a slow leak and I wasn't sure which pipe was the culprit, I wrapped paper towel around all the pipe joints. The next morning I knew that the one that was weirdly textured was the offender.

Ugh sounds messy. I'd say when in doubt, call the landlord. Even if it's a small issue now, it might get worse without fixing. The landlord will be in your debt if you tip them off early enough that it can be fixed before it's serious...

I plan to, I've just been busy and didn't want to call if it was something easily fixed. I know what it is now, so it's mainly a matter of getting the water shut off and the parts replaced. I even bought some of the parts for it. 

Anyway: update time.

Cold Turkey Soda: Haven't had a soda since Sunday Morning (my version of saturday night since I work nights) to prepare for the challenge I had already nearly cut out all soda during the previous week and then Sunday morning chugged a two liter as a celebratory last one. Doing well and the only time I really wanted one was when I went to taco bell and saw a Baja Blast; I just chose not to get a drink since it was a quick snack anyway.

Diet Tracking: I just finished updating my eating journal (excel on an ipad is a handheld version of hell). I'm already seeing things I can improve on, which was the goal. I'll not start fixing my diet right now because I don't want to put too many goals on myself at once and get overwhelmed, but I plan to next challenge. If anyone is interested I may move the spreadsheet to google docs to get some advice.

Crunch Time: Nope. Completely forgot about the crunches just about all week. I may have done 20 and they were pathetic half attempts, so I won't even count them. I did, however, go to the gym a couple times over the week for very very brief, unplanned, and unscheduled workouts, about 30 minutes each, went for a 5k walk yesterday, sounded better than aimlessly wandered for a mile and a half and had to turn back, and practiced a sword form for about 30 minutes today as a form of meditation. I really need to step this up.

Clean entire house: So step 1 is almost complete. On accident. I meant to clean out the trash yesterday while I had the day off, but I put that off to try and fix my washing machine and the laundry room swamp. It's at least fixed for now in the most redneck way possible, so I did a whole lot of laundry yesterday, picking a lot of clothes out of piles on the floor. Unfortunately, I was a little too lazy (and excused myself as it being a time restraint) to actually fold the clothes and put them up so they're tucked away non-neatly in an unused baby playpen. So the house is a little cleaner, but still not anywhere near what I wanted it to be by this time. Maybe I can get some of the trash out tonight if it doesn't rain.

Edit: As an extra element to my weekly Diet Track I think I'm going to track my weekly weight too. See if I gain or lose based on meal specifications.

• Like 1

Update: Things aren't going as well as expected.

The no-soda is still on track. I haven't had a soda (except one sip from my daughter's cup I accidentally took when I thought she had juice) since I started the challenge. I really don't have much of a desire for it anymore, and it's kind of shocking. It certainly helps that my girlfriend's doctor told her to lay off the soda around the same time the challenge began so she's basically been running the challenge with me. 

Tracking my diet is a little more difficult than originally thought due to being out and about. Weeks 1 and 2 I tracked nearly flawlessly, but I have forgotten to track every day of week 3 so far. Part of the problem is a lack of convenient tracking tools. A notepad, even a memopad, is too inconvenient to carry around with me at work, and my phone is a flip-phone that only has T9 "typing" at best so it takes me 5 minutes to text "good morning."

I have not ever really gotten on the wagon for doing my crunches. Just never really happened. I have been going to the gym at least once a week though and lifting weights. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I know I'm making progress. I would go into detail about what I'm doing when I work out, but I don't know the names of most of the exercises I'm doing. I do know that one of them is a leg press machine, and another is a bench press machine. I am lifting an embarrassingly small amount of weight on each, but I do feel I'm making progress.

Cleaning my house has been slightly successful, however I'm doubting I'll be able to finish before the end of the challenge. I wake up, go to work, come back home and crash. Rinse, lather, repeat. I have Saturday off (I think) so hopefully, I'll be able to get some hard work done on it then.

Separate matter: I have been pushing myself to do everything energetically. I have always felt naturally lethargic so this is a very alien experience for me. So far I have been able to push for about a week and I feel simultaneously drained and reenergized. I'm not sure if this is how I'm supposed to do things or if I'm just going to crash one night and not wake up for 24 hours. I have felt more productive since changing my mindset to this way of thinking, but I'm not entirely sure it's healthy. On the other hand, I'm so new to knowing what "healthy" is, this may be what I have been supposed to be doing the entire time. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

• Like 3

Congratulations on the progress with the soda. That's a huge accomplishment. And the house cleaning must be starting to feel good - I always get a mood boost when the house is orderly. It just helps feel like things are going well.

The food tracking is tricky without a smartphone, which is what most people I know use. If you have a good enough memory, can you just track once you get home at the end of the day?

Alright well here it goes, Final Results:

Cut Out Soda - CON 3 - 10 xp

Track Diet Daily - WIS 2 INT 2 - 20 xp

10 Crunches/Night - STR 1 CON 1 WIS 1 Dex 1 - 25 xp

Clean Entire House - Wis 3 INT 1- 50 xp

Cutting out Soda - Roaring Success, as of tomorrow I have not had more than a single accidental swallow of soda in 4 weeks. Awarding myself full points. Con 3 - 10 xp

Tracking Daily Diet - Unfortunately as time went on it became more difficult and overly complicated to track my diet. Due to a lack of anything to really track my progress on other than a flipphone with no memo writing capabilities and it being unrealistic to carry a memopad with me to work I stopped keeping track after my second week of the challenge. However I did not miss a day in those two weeks, so it should be enough information to analyse my bad eating habits and change, and I will award myself half-points. Wis 1 INT 1 - 10 xp

10 Crunches/Night - This Challenge sadly never took place. In its stead however I went to the gym at least once a week, and was training myself to do other hard physical work. I will not be granting myself points for that, but in its stead I feel I earned a couple points for the gym and other work. STR 1 CON 1 - 5xp

Clean Entire House - I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and got burned out and stopped. Sadly my house is not much better off than before the challenge. I will be awarding myself nothing for this abysmal failure, however, I will make this a goal for the next challenge and will not be taking a rest week for the particular goal.

It's goal setting time for the next challenge. This time I know my limits a little better and can set goals more appropriate to my level.

• Like 3