Moros - This time with feeling

Moros

unplug-my-life-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg

Hi everybody. Last challenge was not a success due to illness and drama.  So, this challenge is basically an identical copy of last time, with the exception of #4:

1. Focus on building up muscles around my knees, so I can get back to bodyweight squats. So, a lot of bridges for the back leg muscles, and supported wall squats for the front leg muscles.
  2. Spend evening time doing mobility.  Thanks to @Elastigirl, I learned about Kelly Starrett's book Deskbound, which has been useful to me.  My plan is to spend the first two weeks practicing the bracing sequence, and other things for the first two weeks.  The second two weeks, I will do the Mobility Prescriptions (one a day for two weeks). 
  3. Make my point system a little less fiddly - like most nerds, I often build overly complex systems.  The points do help me, since I get into an all-or-nothing thinking mode otherwise.  However, my last challenge looked like an old Pac-Man game.  So, my points are a little simpler, and rather than put the entire challenge under the spoiler tag each time, I'm going to put it up here one time, and then focus on communication.
  4. Figure out Plague Protocols - My last challenge got derailed by a lack of plague protocols.  I was sick the entire last challenge, and Ms. Moros was worse.  By the end of the challenge, I want to come up with a list of Plague Protocols for now, and the future.  When I'm sick, I basically don't have the brainpower to figure out what I should de-load, and what I should just not do until I feel better. 

The details of the challenge are below the spoiler tag.  For Week zero, I'm going to build back up to my weekly routine.

Hide contents

1. Morning Work

• Walk - 30 minutes - Su, T, R - 3 pts each
  • Bodyweight exercises - M, W, F - 7pts each
    • Currently (may change):
    • Darbee Cardio as a warmup (1 set, build up each time)
    • 10 Pushups - work on form this challenge
    • 15 wall squats - build this up each time
    • 10 inverted rows - build this up each time
    • 15 bridges - build this up each time
    • 30 second plank - build this up each time
  • NFA Academy cool-down and 10 minutes of mediation - Sun - Fri - 2pts each - use the Calm app as an experiment

2. Lunch time

• Read NF Forums - Sun - Fri - 2pts each
  • Contact RH wing-woman & squad - no points, but here as a reminder

3. Evening

• Mobility - Kate Galliett + Kelly Starett - Sun - Fri - 3pts each
  • Post NF - Sun - Fri - 1pt each

4. Mace Zendu (Sundays)

• Yoga - continue with NF Yoga (Water A) and Yoga by Adrienne - 5pts each
  • Mace workouts - 5pt each

Total Weekly Points: 88

I will consider 253 points a success, 282 good, and 317 excellent.  352 points maximum.  As a reward, if I get a good score, I'm going to commit to a private lesson with a Yoga instructor that Ms. Moros recommends.  I'll have to come up with "good" and "excellent" rewards.

• Like 1

Rebooting Ranger and Legionary

"Only a Dead Legionary Gives Up" - Day of the Starwind

"It always seems bad at first, but then I find a way" - Samurai Jack

Day 1 - Success

A good first day.  Got up early and walked - still kind of cold outside, but that's fine.  Had a little trouble logging onto the NF Yoga site, but I downloaded one of the classes already, so I just got that.  After hearing about the wonders of avocado oil from many of Tank's threads, I bought some to try out.  I wish healthy food was cheaper :) 

Worked on the mobility exercises from Chairbound, which take a lot of concentration.  Went well, though the rotation of your legs still seems to take a lot more effort than you think it should.

Daily Points: 21

Total Points: 21

• Like 1

Deskbound is an amazing book.Glad you are using it.

Great point system.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Day 2 - Went well, knees a little sore

So, I did everything, including several Rising Heroes (RH) missions.  So, pretty tired at the moment.  My knees are aching some, but I think I didn't overdo it (I'll find out tomorrow).  Doing the bracing sequence in Deskbound several times a day, so it can become a habit.  My walking mechanics still feel very out of whack, though.

Daily Points: 15

Total Points: 36

23 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Deskbound is an amazing book.Glad you are using it.

Great point system.

That's one of the great things about the NF Forums: I learn a lot more about exercise and health here.  Deskbound is what I need - mobility is a big issue, and I really appreciate you bringing it up in one of your previous challenges.  /hat_tip

• Like 1

Day 3 - A lot of extra work, but things went well

So, my morning was good NF-wise.  I am trying the Calm app for meditations (I'm used to meditating without technology), and it feels like a nice break.  Plus the spiffy interface looks good.  Did most of my other stuff, but ran out of time on my mobility stuff - I was helping Ms. Moros at an event in the evening.  So, I'll do that on Saturday (aka International TableTop Day!)  Some friends and Ms. Moros will be board gaming for at least 12 hours.  I will regret nothing.

ttd.png

Daily Points: 8

Total Points: 44

• Like 3

Day 4 - Started working on form

A good day overall.  Did all of my bodyweight exercises, and started working on my push-ups form.  Long way to go there, but I'm trying to learn to exercise the right way, as well as build strength.  My quads vibrated like jello, but that's a good thing -- I actually exercised.

Total Points: 69

• Like 2

Day 5 - Some Emotional Stuff, but did almost all of the things anyway

So, things were hard last night because of (redacted), but I got up, and rangered my way through the morning.  I got through the day, and did Rising Heroes stuff in the evening (they have a big story deadline, so that's kind of exciting).  Had a nice healthy salad and some popcorn for dinner.

Daily Points: 8

Total Points: 77

• Like 1

Day 6 - End of a semester and beginning of the summer challenge

So, my school is basically done for the summer, which is good, and now I have free time to do what I need to do .  The challenge is that since I have taken this particular job, all of my summers have been lousy in one way or another.  So, I am working hard to make sure this one is a positive one.  I am trying to develop a challenge mindset and crush this summer, just like a good NF challenge.

Did all of my stuff today.  Watched a lot of push-up videos (including the one with Staci from NF), and I have come to the conclusion that I have never done push-ups correctly.  So, a lot of form work is needed, but I'm ok with that, instead of being ashamed by it.

Total Points: 92

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Enjoy your free time. I don't think I've ever done push ups correctly either.

Thanks!  Of course, the challenge is that I'm supposed to get stuff done over the summer, but I have to build my own accountability. 

/challenge accepted

• Like 2

Day 7 - Tabletop Day - I regret nothing.

So, had a lot of fun on Saturday - 14 hours of gaming.  For the record, we played the following:

1. Machi-Koro
  2. Paperback
  3. Dead of Winter
  4. Circus Flochati
  5. Black Fleet
  6. Incan Gold
  7. Vanautu
  8. Ghostfighting Treasure Hunters
  9. Buffy Love Letter

I did wake up with a lot of hip pain, and did some yoga stretches to get better.  I also meditated in the morning, and did some mobility stuff during breaks.  Ate way too much pizza, but I regret nothing.

Daily Points: 2

Total Points: 94

pic1265062.jpg

• Like 3

Day 8 - Knee Pain 1, Moros 0

So, I slept in late after TableTop Day - or tried to.  My left knee ached quite a bit, and I'm really not sure why.  So, instead of sleeping late, I wound up in a chair icing my knee in the morning.  I decided to not overdo- and instead use the Ranger adaptability skill to move my MaceZendu Sunday to next Saturday.  So, I did meditate, but that's about it. I was on my feet for three hours straight for an exam review, so I did do some movement.

Daily Points: 1

Total Points: 95

Way to celebrate Tabletop day.I sorta failed on that one. Played on Friday and Sunday, but no games on Saturday. . Hope your knee feels better soon. Try and get as much walking in today as possible

• Like 1

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Day 9 - Bodyweight and exams

So, in the morning, I bounced back, and did all of my bodyweight exercises.  Knee was ok - it hurt at the end of the day, but not during wall squats, so that's good.  I had to proctor an exam in the evening, which meant I did not have as much time in the evening to complete things.  Worked with Ms. Moros on our Rising Heroes stuff, so was very tired, and so did not do mobility stuff.  Otherwise, a good day NF-wise.

Daily Points: 95

Challenge Points: 107

• Like 1

Day 10 - Grading and Retirement for a Colleague

So, today started out tough, but got better.  In the morning, it was cold and rainy and windy again, and it took some time to get going outside.  But, the ranger-part of me started grinning about walking in the pouring rain anyway.  I am beginning to take a perverse pleasure in having the rain soak my face as I walk.  Did my stretches and calm meditation, plus 15 additional squats from the RH challenge that's ongoing.  In the evening, we had a retirement party for a colleague, where I didn't eat that well - Baklava was literally shoved into my hands.  So, not great there, but overall, a positive day.

rain.jpg

Daily Points:  8

Total Points: 115

• Like 2

Nom, Baklava. And yay for Ranger walking in the rain!

• Like 1

Days 11 - 16: Way too many people were in my apartment

So, the last few days have been kind of bananas.  Ms. Moros was involved with a big-time workshop, where people from different countries were staying in our apartment.  In addition, my academic advisor (kind of my astronomy Obi-Wan) visited my work, so things got all kerflutzed.  I need to continue to foster the Ranger habit of adaptability or "adapt, improvise and overcome."  Also, plan better for these disruptions, and not throw myself off.  Monday, Ms. Moros was back from the workshop, which involved many hours of cardio and movement, so we went to the pool and swam laps instead. 

So, I did parts of my workouts, but never a complete day.  Today, I've had a really lousy cluster headache, which just now is clearing up. 

Daily Points: 24 (for all four days)

Total Points: 142

I'll get back on the horse - just tired of falling off.

• Like 2

Doing parts of your workout and swimming looks like good Ranger adaptability to me.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 3:55 AM, mr_willes said:

survivor1.gif

I cannot like this gif enough.  I showed it to two people, and they both laughed out loud...

Day 17 - Rangered through the Cluster Headache

So, after posting yesterday, I did get up, and do my 30 minute walk, which was a bit of a surreal experience.  I kind of felt like this:

arrow196.png

One of the three will hit...

Luckily, I had an appointment with a massage therapist, and she helped a lot with the headache.  So, this day ended better than I had hoped

Daily Points: 7

Total Points: 149

• Like 1