Maigahane Dies at the End

Maigs

Well I was thinking about skipping this challenge but a) I've got too much Rangerbrain to stay away and b ) I just realized I have THREE OCR's this challenge! Holy crap those snuck up on me. I have the Warrior Dash 4/29, Big Reg Challenge (BRC) 10k 5/20, and Mud, Sweat, and Beers (MSB) 7k 5/20. Why yes, that's 17k of OCR in one day. No I'm not crazy! You're crazy! Who the hell thought that was a good idea anyway? Oh, right, I did....

Anyway. In order to not die on the last day of the challenge I really need to work on three things:

1) Cardio - I've gotten much better at not dying when I run but I still need to work on it so I don't *almost* die. I also need to build up the stamina in my legs. After my accidental 8ish miler last month my legs were so shot I almost couldn't walk to my car after, then almost cried when I remembered I drive a car with a clutch. Since the weather finally got nice here I've started riding my bike again which counts towards cardio and builds leg stamina

Do some form of cardio 3x/week. Ideally to include a long run and intervals

2) Strength - I hate to admit it but I'm physically weak. I did 10 knee pushups last night and struggled a lot. Sunday I started Darebee's Gravity program which works arms, legs, and core with mostly body weight but has the option to work in dumbells that I have. I'm doing the amount I feel comfortable doing and not stressing if I can't do the full workout.

Do Strength training 3x/week.

3) Stretching - Life will be unpleasant if I'm already sore before I start the BRC and then can't move when it comes time to do the MSB later that day. I've never been good at really stretching out after working out to help recover but I really need it this time

Stretch 3x/week

I'm not making a specific goal around food but I want to eat enough to properly fuel my body but not eat a bunch of junk. I will continue to food track and try really hard to eat an appropriate amount of real food

I could really use a cheer squad to help keep me accountable this time around. Can you guys yell at me encourage me when I slip up? (and if I'm not posting I probably slipped up)

I know there's a movie called "John(? maybe Dave?) Dies at the End" but I haven't actually seen it so for those hoping to see gifs, memes, and other references to it...sorry to disappoint :P

• Like 4

Current Challenge:  Maigs Starts Over

Starting this properly in zero week:

Sunday:

Cardio - 12 mile bike ride

Strength - 20 each reverse lunges and squats

Stretching - I think I stretched some

Food - 2k calories of so-so choices (I do not regret the PB&J pancakes but I also do not call them a great food choice :P )

Monday:

Cardio - 2.6 mile bike ride x 2 (commute to work)

Strength - 3 sets of 20 each 15lbs dumbbell curls and arm circles plus 20 second arm raises

Stretching - Nope

Food - 1700cals of mostly good choices

• Like 2

3 OCR's this challenge, now that sounds familiar. :D I'll be joining you in the craziness and trying not to die.

I think that film is called John Dies at the End, but I've never seen it either. 

• Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Maigahane's Struggle

I've always heard to find an exercise you like or you won't stick to it but I've had a hard time finding something I like enough that it doesn't feel like a chore. I felt like an absolute badass last month when I accidentally ran 8ish miles (instead of the 10k I signed up for) and actually ran most of it so I thought maybe I was starting to enjoy running. But actually getting out and running 3x/week or so feels like such a chore. I actually enjoy lifting heavy weights (deadlifts, squats, etc) but actually getting to the gym to do them is also a chore.

Some of it is just having to prep for the workout. Having to change into workout clothes. Having to get to the gym (which is a whopping 5 miles away). Once I'm at the gym I have to share equipment and deal with the fact that they don't have a proper squat/bench setup.

So I've been trying to figure out what exercises don't feel like work to do on a regular basis. I enjoy walking and biking. And neither of those involve any prep beyond leashing the dog or getting my bike off the rack in the garage. I can wear whatever clothes and shoes I have on (except jeans on a bike, that's never a good idea). It's not strenuous cardio but it does get me moving at least.

But how do I handle strength training? I don't particularly enjoy body weight work at home even though I can do that without any prep. I've tried making the gym a habit but so far it hasn't stuck at all. I keep thinking that since I'm less than a mile away from the gym Wednesdays I can just go after work and then set aside a time on the weekends to go but then I remember that Wednesdays are game nights so I'd have to rush which isn't fun. I told Hubs the other day that I think I'd enjoy having my own bar and plates to do deadlifts at home but then I'd want a squat/bench rack too and my house is too small and I'm too cheap to buy my own equipment.

I'm mostly just venting but if anyone has ideas I'm open to recommendations

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Maigahane's Struggle

I've always heard to find an exercise you like or you won't stick to it but I've had a hard time finding something I like enough that it doesn't feel like a chore. I felt like an absolute badass last month when I accidentally ran 8ish miles (instead of the 10k I signed up for) and actually ran most of it so I thought maybe I was starting to enjoy running. But actually getting out and running 3x/week or so feels like such a chore. I actually enjoy lifting heavy weights (deadlifts, squats, etc) but actually getting to the gym to do them is also a chore.

Some of it is just having to prep for the workout. Having to change into workout clothes. Having to get to the gym (which is a whopping 5 miles away). Once I'm at the gym I have to share equipment and deal with the fact that they don't have a proper squat/bench setup.

So I've been trying to figure out what exercises don't feel like work to do on a regular basis. I enjoy walking and biking. And neither of those involve any prep beyond leashing the dog or getting my bike off the rack in the garage. I can wear whatever clothes and shoes I have on (except jeans on a bike, that's never a good idea). It's not strenuous cardio but it does get me moving at least.

But how do I handle strength training? I don't particularly enjoy body weight work at home even though I can do that without any prep. I've tried making the gym a habit but so far it hasn't stuck at all. I keep thinking that since I'm less than a mile away from the gym Wednesdays I can just go after work and then set aside a time on the weekends to go but then I remember that Wednesdays are game nights so I'd have to rush which isn't fun. I told Hubs the other day that I think I'd enjoy having my own bar and plates to do deadlifts at home but then I'd want a squat/bench rack too and my house is too small and I'm too cheap to buy my own equipment.

I make TV dependent on working out. If I want to watch a TV show, I've got to be doing some sort of exercise. It's usually strength training. I've got a few kettlebells plus a set of adjustable dumbbells, so I'll write out a list of exercises, and do that while I watch Game of Thrones.  This actually works more as an anti-TV device for me, since I don't think I've watched TV in the last month, but it might work better for you.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

5 minutes ago, fiddle-on said:

I make TV dependent on working out. If I want to watch a TV show, I've got to be doing some sort of exercise. It's usually strength training. I've got a few kettlebells plus a set of adjustable dumbbells, so I'll write out a list of exercises, and do that while I watch Game of Thrones.  This actually works more as an anti-TV device for me, since I don't think I've watched TV in the last month, but it might work better for you.

I've thought of this but honestly Hubs is the TV watcher. If left to my own devices I probably wouldn't watch TV and wouldn't even have Netflix. But if he turns it on I'll usually watch it with him since we're both "quality time" love language people. When we were talking about how to get myself to exercise I told him I might make a rule that the first episode is free but anything beyond that and I have to exercise or stretch.

2 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I just realized I have THREE OCR's this challenge!

shhh, I think the crazy might be spreading!!!

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Following for OCR madness! 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

2 hours ago, Maigahane said:

crazy (crazy-awesome)

wait, doesn't crazy = awesome?

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Do you have a climbing or bouldering wall near you? That's a great way to build muscle in a fun way. It doesn't even feel like you're working out. Or how about Parkour? 

Failing that, if you want to work with weights but lack space, you can do so much with a couple of kettlebells. You don't need many different weights to get a good full body workout so you don't need to spend too much cash either.

• Like 3

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

20 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Failing that, if you want to work with weights but lack space, you can do so much with a couple of kettlebells. You don't need many different weights to get a good full body workout so you don't need to spend too much cash either.

To add to that, there is really nothing wrong with simple body weight exercises to add strength. Air squats, lunges, pushups, body rows and pull ups, dips etc etc all are a great way to build strength and can be progresses from really easy to really hard.

• Like 3

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

wait, doesn't crazy = awesome?

To the Rangers it does!

21 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Do you have a climbing or bouldering wall near you? That's a great way to build muscle in a fun way. It doesn't even feel like you're working out. Or how about Parkour? 

There's only one climbing wall near me. It's at the University which for some reason has been a mental block for me even though it's open to anyone. Plus the fact I don't have someone to go with me. I need to just suck it up and sign up for a class....but of course their site is down right now. You should yell at me remind me to try again later :)

4 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

To add to that, there is really nothing wrong with simple body weight exercises to add strength. Air squats, lunges, pushups, body rows and pull ups, dips etc etc all are a great way to build strength and can be progresses from really easy to really hard.

It's not that I don't think they're good, it's that I don't really enjoy doing it so it doesn't just happen. I know it's stupid, but that's the challenge I'm fighting right now

• Like 1

Just now, Maigahane said:

It's not that I don't think they're good, it's that I don't really enjoy doing it so it doesn't just happen. I know it's stupid, but that's the challenge I'm fighting right now

That is fine. The best exercise is not the one you think you should do but the one that you are going to do and want to do. I do find that I like doing things more once I get better at them though.

And yes you need to suck it up and sign up for the climbing class :P

• Like 2

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Maigahane's Struggle

I think you need kettlebells! Can be done at home, and don't take up too much room (at least at first, once you begin collecting them, however)

• Like 3

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

25 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

That is fine. The best exercise is not the one you think you should do but the one that you are going to do and want to do. I do find that I like doing things more once I get better at them though.

And yes you need to suck it up and sign up for the climbing class :P

Yup, I've spent a lot of time trying to make myself do the work out I "should" do but even if it's based off the result I want it hasn't been the one I "will" do. And I tried to sign up for climbing classes today, they won't let me.

22 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I think you need kettlebells! Can be done at home, and don't take up too much room (at least at first, once you begin collecting them, however)

I have 5, 10, and 15lbs dumbbells (pairs of each) but I've never done anything with kettlebells. In fact I just learned from the OCR thread how the common swings are supposed to be done and that the few people I've seen doing them at the gym weren't being stupid. I should do some research I guess. Any suggestions of where to look?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

Yup, I've spent a lot of time trying to make myself do the work out I "should" do but even if it's based off the result I want it hasn't been the one I "will" do. And I tried to sign up for climbing classes today, they won't let me.

I have 5, 10, and 15lbs dumbbells (pairs of each) but I've never done anything with kettlebells. In fact I just learned from the OCR thread how the common swings are supposed to be done and that the few people I've seen doing them at the gym weren't being stupid. I should do some research I guess. Any suggestions of where to look?

I use the books Simple and Sinister for programming, and Enter Ther Kettlebell. The book The Swing!  By Tracey Reifkind is all about programming swings. Strongfirst is short, bursts of heavier bells. Tracey's style is long, endurance with lighter bells. Enter The Kettlebell also has presses and snatches, which since you like weights you would probably enjoy.

A good video on swings

• Like 2

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

The "bend and snap" explanation of how to do a proper kettlebell swing is still my favourite. :)  Let us know what you think of kettlebells if you try them, I am also considering them.

13 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Maigahane's Struggle

I wish I could help, but I am kinda sceptical about bodyweight workouts myself. It is just as hard as a barbell workout but I don't get to feel nearly as badass struggling to do a push-up as I feel hefting the olympic bar.

• Like 3

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

11 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Sorry, it does suck when you finally get off your butt to do something and the computer says no :( I hope you do find yourself some strength training you enjoy.

5 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I wish I could help, but I am kinda sceptical about bodyweight workouts myself. It is just as hard as a barbell workout but I don't get to feel nearly as badass struggling to do a push-up as I feel hefting the olympic bar.

totally this ^^^ lifting heavy weights is just more fun for me :D although I'll admit doing pullups also makes me feel like a badass.

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

following to cheer you on! Someone may have mentioned this already but have you thought about a gymnastics or climbing gym for your bodyweight stuff? The climbing gym by me has put in all kinds of OCR stuff in one area as it's gotten more popular. So that might help.

• Like 2

the year of living trippily

The most current of all: Final Boss  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

I agree with everything everyone else said about kettlebells. And they're fun and horrible.

On 4/18/2017 at 2:43 PM, Maigahane said:
On 4/18/2017 at 2:35 PM, jonfirestar said:

Also, if you want to get in a bodyweight workout that you don't have to think about planning for yourself and one that offers a little weekly accountability, there's always the OCR WOW workouts (that will result programming this coming week).

• Like 3

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

On 4/18/2017 at 4:19 PM, Elastigirl said:

I use the books Simple and Sinister for programming, and Enter Ther Kettlebell. The book The Swing!  By Tracey Reifkind is all about programming swings. Strongfirst is short, bursts of heavier bells. Tracey's style is long, endurance with lighter bells. Enter The Kettlebell also has presses and snatches, which since you like weights you would probably enjoy.

A good video on swings

Thanks, I'll check these out!

20 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Right?! I'd rather feel like a badass lifting the bar with 45 plates on it then struggle to do knee pushpus

15 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

totally this ^^^ lifting heavy weights is just more fun for me :D although I'll admit doing pullups also makes me feel like a badass.

I did like the feeling of doing negatives and not just dropping straight down. Unfortunately I don't have a pullup bar at home and DH refuses to allow one of the doorway ones. I might need to get one to attach to the studs in the garage

8 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

following to cheer you on! Someone may have mentioned this already but have you thought about a gymnastics or climbing gym for your bodyweight stuff? The climbing gym by me has put in all kinds of OCR stuff in one area as it's gotten more popular. So that might help.

Good to have you. Climbing gym was mentioned and I was finally going to suck it up and sign up for the beginning class at the local university but their site's been down the last couple of days. I looked and there's no adult gymastics near me. The downside of living in a small city, there's not a lot of options.

3 hours ago, EricMN said:

I agree with everything everyone else said about kettlebells. And they're fun and horrible.

Also, if you want to get in a bodyweight workout that you don't have to think about planning for yourself and one that offers a little weekly accountability, there's always the OCR WOW workouts (that will result programming this coming week).

I'll be looking into kettlebells workout over the next weekish.
I've seen your WOW's and they kinda scare me. I guess that means I should give them a try :)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I've seen your WOW's and they kinda scare me. I guess that means I should give them a try :)

Me, when I read one of @EricMN's WOWs

giphy.gif

• Like 5

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler