• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

elia_s

ESann Levels Up

Summer is the perfect time to level up in all areas. My major focuses for May are learning a second language (German), working towards my dissertation defense (pushing for Fall), losing 8-10 lbs, and developing better money habits. In depth...

1. Start learning basic German: spend 20-30 min per day using Duolingo to practice my German, watch German shows, etc.; use what I learn throughout the day where I can
  2. Dissertation proposal draft #2: Review and use all feedback from first draft to make edits; read more (10) articles and (2) books for more data
  3. Lose 10 lbs of fat: Continue heavy lifting (increasing weight by 2.5-5lbs a week) and eating healthy, but add 1 run (1 mile...I realized it maybe working up to 3 miles is better/safer) every Wednesday
  4. Getting out of debt (and learning to stay out): Ready Dave Ramsey's book on money makeover and start implementing the strategies and ideas in my daily life
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, elia_s said:

Getting out of debt (and learning to stay out): Ready Dave Ramsey's book on money makeover and start implementing the strategies and ideas in my daily life

24 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Welcome!!!!

Paging @Sam Ashen for finance talk :) I'm sure he could give you some additional resources.

Somebody explained to me the Dave Ramsey plan is good for keeping it simple.  I did go through it and should be still familiar with it.

Being single, where I stalled out on the plan is finding an accountability partner to fight with about money.  He separates people into Nerds and Free Spirits.  So basically I'm Nerdish about money.  I will have my month of May all planned out on Friday and I will start executing my budget.

At the time, I did not know any Free Spirits.

• Like 2

Good luck defending your dissertation! it's a hard road, but you can do it! (I defended a thesis last summer - I can't imagine doing a dissertation).

Awesome goals, best of luck!

(though I'm confused why you start with Spanish at the beginning of your post, but then your goal is about German?)

On 4/19/2017 at 1:23 PM, elvenengineer said:

Good luck defending your dissertation! it's a hard road, but you can do it! (I defended a thesis last summer - I can't imagine doing a dissertation).

Awesome goals, best of luck!

(though I'm confused why you start with Spanish at the beginning of your post, but then your goal is about German?)

Good catch and thanks. I was debating on which language to start and I guess that manifested in the post. In the end I chose German.

• Like 2

Hello! My challenge is going well. I'm at 8% with German/Spanish (I'm practicing more Spanish at the moment due to helping my partner with refreshing her skills). I'm currently working on my dissertation proposal draft #2 and have made really good progress. I should be turning it in around June 15th (sooner if I can keep up the momentum). Getting strong while losing fat. Major lifts have increased (Bench for 195x2, Squat for 250x2, and Deadlift for 250x2) and I hate running less lol. Plus, I'm down to 195 from 205 when I started. The only place where I have slacked a bit is in my getting out of debt goal. But, I have been listening to D.R. podcasts and planned my budget for next month.

Thanks for checking in! How's your challenge coming along?