• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Deciduous

Deciduous's Waterlog(ged)

Recommended Posts

fishpuns.com+2.png

It is Challenge Two!


I'm finding drinking water before eating super helpful; I feel like I am in tune with hunger signals for the first time in aeons but I also feel like I'm floating away. Three of my four challenges have water components, and for challenge three you could say I am awash in emotion, so I'm rolling out a water theme.

 

1. You look like carp!

giphy.gif

Problem: Since I moved to a home office last year, I've turned into a gross human and don't bath or get out of my pajamas half the time. I treat myself better when I'm someone I'd like to encounter in public, and although spouse has never mentioned anything he met me when I was dressing pretty darn nice every day and I'm sure he'd appreciate it. He works 24 hour shifts so I'm going to give myself those days to be a gross-ling... if I choose.

Challenge: Bathe then dress in real clothes (not gym wear or pajamas) every day spouse isn't working (100% of days = 3-7x per week).

2. Orcaward...

giphy.gif

Problem: Stress incontinence on heavy deadlifts and squats. The worst. If this doesn't work I need to stop wearing a belt/lifting so heavy which would be worse even worse than the worst.

Challenge: Practice my physio exercises on warm-up sets every squat and deadlift day (100% of days = 2-3x per week) and during one savasana each yoga class (100% of days = 2-4x per week)

3. Mullet over.

giphy.gif

Problem: I tend to catastrophize stressors and sometimes spend an inordinate amount of energy freaking out. I hear life is better if you don't do this, and I know this behaviour isn't my loved ones fave thing about me.

Co-challenge with @Grumble: Recognize that I'm freaking out and seek a reality evaluation. Hoping to do this every time (100%).

4. Not bad, cod do batter!

giphy.gif

Challenge: Points grab. Maintain the minimum quantity of all the things that make me feel like I've completely owned a given week while I finish off this cut!

  • 7x days water before every meal and following meal/supplements plan (100% of days)
  • 4x lifting (mussels!) (57% of days)
  • 3x yoga (42% of days)
  • 3x cardio (42% of days)
  • 1x house project (14% of days)

 

(I'm so sorry)

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Love this theme!

 

tumblr_nnou9lxQSQ1u0fg7mo1_400.gif 

 

OMG

 

2 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

This theme reeled me in!

 

OMG

 

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

I'm glad we're working together, we have a shared porpoise.

 

O.M.G.

 

S58DX9X.png

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THIS THEME IS THE BEST. I'm not even squidding.

 

21 hours ago, Deciduous said:

Problem: Stress incontinence on heavy deadlifts and squats. The worst. If this doesn't work I need to stop wearing a belt/lifting so heavy which would be worse even worse than the worst.

Challenge: Practice my physio exercises on warm-up sets every squat and deadlift day (2-3x per week) and during one savasana each yoga class (2-4x per week)

Any chance you would feel comfortable sharing those exercises? I encounter the same issue in front tumbling.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RedStone said:

OMG

OMG
O.M.G.

 

74448989.jpg

 

23 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

This theme reeled me in!

22 hours ago, Grumble said:

I'm glad we're working together, we have a shared porpoise.

3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

THIS THEME IS THE BEST. I'm not even squidding.

 

3c4cf-happy-seal-301.jpg

 

3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Any chance you would feel comfortable sharing those exercises? I encounter the same issue in front tumbling.

 

f1ec1ca8d6d71e7e04615d76d5c55b3e726f2aff

 

OK I hope this applies to front tumbling, and isn't stuff everyone except me knew already.... I've had two appointments with a pelvic floor physio. She's given me a little info package, but the most helpful things so far have been:

  • When I breathe in, my pelvic floor pushes down. This is why bracing against the belt is causing me trouble, my PF is dropping and kind of impossible to contract.
  • My PF raises when I breathe out; if I lift all three parts (front, mid, back) when I breathe out then I'm contracting it.

This was an interesting read, too:

Pelvic Floor Guide for Women Who Lift

 

I didn't love everything in here, or everything from the physio, but from the article the description of deep breathing to stretch your PF and changing your bracing technique were super helpful. The notes on having to wear your belt tighter if you aren't bracing into it was helpful, but the following squat description from my physio was better:
"On the way down during the squat, lengthen (breathe in at top) your pelvic floor as your sit bones widen, and as you stand up, contract (breathe out) your pelvic floor to help you stand up again (without peeing)"

 

So, exercises: during yoga when I'm just laying there I practice breathing in and relaxing (like a huge oblong balloon) and then breathing out and contracting and holding each for as long as I can (maybe a count of 5-10), and during lifting I'm working on changing my bracing during warm-ups for sure and during sets when my brain is thinking instead of just trying to get it done, which had always been breathe out into the belt and hold it. Now I do that and then to move "up" (start of deadlift, or bottom of squat) I start breathing out and pull my abs and PF up. I'm still super hit or miss with it, but when I get it right I feel wayyyy more powerful with that force pushing me up and way drier (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

giphy-downsized-large.gif

DESTROYED T-4 

I've decided to go back and figure out what % of days my 3/7 or whatever works out to, and have made a little google sheets tracker and will give myself a 1 on days I do things and 0 on days I don't and calculate my %ages as we progress through this thing. Exception is the freakoutfulness challenge, where I will give myself 1 or 0 for successes or failures as they happen.

 

Yesterday was squat day (lifting✔ orcaward practice✔). 5x7 @ 75%, plus dumbbell and banded accessories and some sled pushes and pull-ups. Then took the dog for a little walk (counting it, cardio✔).

 

Flooded myself with water, food and supplements were on point, and I showered and got dressed in real people clothes TWICE! When I woke up AND after the gym to go out with friends. Got clean and dressed again today and thank goodness because I ended up on video conference. I am still very begrudgingly performing this activity.

 

Foods eaten:

Breakfast - two thick cut bacon
Lunch - rainbow trout fillet with big serving leftover Costco southwestern salad, too much dressing, on greens and Brussels plus two carrots and 1-2 little Costco pakora things (these were yucky)
Snack pre-lifting - strawberry vega protein smoothie
Dinner - dry rub ribs and carrot cashew raisin slaw on greens (mayo, pb, molasses, sesame oil)
Snack pre-bed - casein with cashew milk

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Breakfast - two thick cut bacon

Lunch - rainbow trout fillet with big serving leftover Costco southwestern salad, too much dressing, on greens and Brussels plus two carrots and 1-2 little Costco pakora things (these were yucky)

Snack pre-lifting - strawberry vega protein smoothie

Dinner - dry rub ribs and carrot cashew raisin slaw on greens (mayo, pb, molasses, sesame oil)

Snack pre-bed - casein with cashew milk

 

 

That's the best breakfast ever. But I hope it tides you over enough, you otter eat a little more.

ed14d85e6529b38bb275b32a1cd2f111.gif

 

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Deciduous said:

 

 

OK I hope this applies to front tumbling, and isn't stuff everyone except me knew already.... I've had two appointments with a pelvic floor physio. She's given me a little info package, but the most helpful things so far have been:

  • When I breathe in, my pelvic floor pushes down. This is why bracing against the belt is causing me trouble, my PF is dropping and kind of impossible to contract.
  • My PF raises when I breathe out; if I lift all three parts (front, mid, back) when I breathe out then I'm contracting it.

This was an interesting read, too:

Pelvic Floor Guide for Women Who Lift

 

I didn't love everything in here, or everything from the physio, but from the article the description of deep breathing to stretch your PF and changing your bracing technique were super helpful. The notes on having to wear your belt tighter if you aren't bracing into it was helpful, but the following squat description from my physio was better:
"On the way down during the squat, lengthen (breathe in at top) your pelvic floor as your sit bones widen, and as you stand up, contract (breathe out) your pelvic floor to help you stand up again (without peeing)"

 

So, exercises: during yoga when I'm just laying there I practice breathing in and relaxing (like a huge oblong balloon) and then breathing out and contracting and holding each for as long as I can (maybe a count of 5-10), and during lifting I'm working on changing my bracing during warm-ups for sure and during sets when my brain is thinking instead of just trying to get it done, which had always been breathe out into the belt and hold it. Now I do that and then to move "up" (start of deadlift, or bottom of squat) I start breathing out and pull my abs and PF up. I'm still super hit or miss with it, but when I get it right I feel wayyyy more powerful with that force pushing me up and way drier (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

 

Thank you for this info! I don't have that specific problem YET. But I have a weak PF in general from my medical stuff and could definitely benefit from applying this knowledge to my life. I find rushing to the bathroom to be rather annoying. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

This thread has really hooked me in!  I'm not crabby at all about it; I can see you've really got sole!

 

/waves. 

original.png

18 hours ago, Grumble said:

That's the best breakfast ever. But I hope it tides you over enough, you otter eat a little more.

Squirrel-with-Bacon1.jpg

Yesterday's meals ended up being bacon, bacon+some stuff, ribs+some lettuce. Getting ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Thank you for this info! I don't have that specific problem YET. But I have a weak PF in general from my medical stuff and could definitely benefit from applying this knowledge to my life. I find rushing to the bathroom to be rather annoying. 

Oh yay! I am really hoping it works for me and that this challenge gets me to actually do the exercises, super double bonus if it works for you and you never have to deal with this problem ever!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

giphy.gif

DEFEATED T-3

Are these first days the best, or what? Everything is new and fresh and I feel so certain that I'm about to execute an otterly flawless challenge. Also happy to note that getting showered and dressed when I get up has been less of a fight with myself the last two days.

 

Yesterday was bench press day (lifting✔), though I've deleted the rep scheme from my head. Heavy sets then lighter close-grip sets. Followed by dumbbell accessories and heavy sled drags. Made it to yoga for the first time in almost a week, felt great (yoga✔ orcaward practice✔).

 

Water, food, and supplements all went well, but, well... food was a bit of a:

swine-wave.jpg

 

Foods eaten:

Breakfast - two thick cut bacon
Lunch - two bacon and two eggs scrambled with zucchini and mushrooms and barley and sriracha plus leftover carrot raisin slaw salad
Snack pre lifting - strawberry vega smoothie
Dinner - dry rub ribs and salad (greens, avocado, mushrooms, raisins, tahini, strawberry compote, mustard) Note to self: no starch because I was heading to yoga after, was hungrier than usual the next day.
Snack pre-bed - casein with cashew milk

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh! That reminds me. The bcaa did Jack all for appetite suppression. Not worth the extra 40 calories.

 

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BM5W7TO.jpg

 

Octaculaaar challenge!

 

I also have been looking into pelvic floor stuff and will be curious about your journey! I totes got that lifting pdf too in my search, but my problem is during high impact (see: tumbling, box jumps) than during lifting. I wonder if it is the same root cause or something a bit different? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Deciduous said:

I'm about to execute an otterly flawless challenge.

 

OMC* (Also, yes. Yes you are!)

 

20 hours ago, Deciduous said:

Also happy to note that getting showered and dressed when I get up has been less of a fight with myself the last two days.

 

I'm very much familiar with the pajama life. Freelanced for years, and plenty of remote work... and I loved that I could do my work in my pajamas! But there were times it started to make me feel... I dunno... less than human? It's amazing what rolling out of bed and tossing jeans on did for me. (Though jeans do mess with my morning flow work...)

 

*To be replacing OMG for the rest of the challenge...

 

gUh9yeKl.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedStone said:

 

OMC*

 

 

This can also be 'Oh my cow', which is a product of not deciding whether to say 'holy cow' or 'Oh my god' and then sort of doing both. Not that it's ever happened to me or anything.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2017 at 2:32 PM, Grumble said:

Oh! That reminds me. The bcaa did Jack all for appetite suppression. Not worth the extra 40 calories.

Darn it, thanks for the review. That shucks bcaas that would have been one shell of an easy tool.

 

A casein point - I didn't take mine for four days while traveling and was way hungrier in the morning. I was also surrounded by Easter chocolate and wine, confounding variables for shore.

On 4/20/2017 at 7:49 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I mostly dislike meat but bacon is truly glorious. 

It is so good, one of few I am game to eat first thing in the morning.

On 4/20/2017 at 8:53 PM, raptron said:

BM5W7TO.jpgOctaculaaar challenge!

OctopiWallStreet.jpg

Quote

I also have been looking into pelvic floor stuff and will be curious about your journey! I totes got that lifting pdf too in my search, but my problem is during high impact (see: tumbling, box jumps) than during lifting. I wonder if it is the same root cause or something a bit different? 

My physio would say yes; I have trouble coordinating pelvic floor stuff with my breathing when doing more than three reps lifting so imagine quick body weight/cardio movements would take even more work. I'm hoping it will be more automatic and stronger at the end of this challenge. My physio paperwork listed jumping jacks & step ups and had the same suggestion for each, which was to picture drawing a raisin (!) into your urethra for the duration of the activity. I figure it is because you aren't timing it to your breathing so drawing up your entire pelvic floor (which you can only do effectively on an exhale) wouldn't work?

11 hours ago, RedStone said:

OMC* (Also, yes. Yes you are!)

 

I'm very much familiar with the pajama life. Freelanced for years, and plenty of remote work... and I loved that I could do my work in my pajamas! But there were times it started to make me feel... I dunno... less than human? It's amazing what rolling out of bed and tossing jeans on did for me. (Though jeans do mess with my morning flow work...)

 

*To be replacing OMG for the rest of the challenge...

OMC this is a reely great idea! I bait it will catch on quick.

 

Less than human is a good way of putting it. The last few days I've been wearing jeans and sweaters and feeling pretty fancy, too funny. Jeans definitely mess with the stretching unless they are jeggings ala @MikeWazowski. OK so I haven't been wearing my jeggings and hoodies because they are borderline....

9 hours ago, calanthrophy said:

This can also be 'Oh my cow', which is a product of not deciding whether to say 'holy cow' or 'Oh my god' and then sort of doing both. Not that it's ever happened to me or anything.

@RedStone sea????? @calanthrophy walleye carp!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

main-qimg-b4eb84dc791fa6d3ede697c8e1827f

CONQUERED T-2 AND T-1

 

I'm so late today that the day is fin-fished. I meant to get in here earlier but got caught up trying to cuttlefish jokes out of my update!

 

Yesterday made it to 30 min spin class (cardio✔) and then did overhead press and a carp tuna dumbbell arm/shoulder accessory lifts, it was a short week at the gym for me so did all the arm stuff from sumo deadlift day a swell (lifting✔). Today was deadlift day (lifting✔ orcaward practice✔); to be honest, I've been dreading it and was going to talk to my coach if it felt as rough as last week. Went in feeling physically good though and it went reely well, so that was great! Did dumbbell accessory lifts and heavy farmers carries.

 

Food has been good! I am otter vegetables except frozen spinach right now, so need to remedy that tomorrow; this also accounts for my vegetable free dinner. Had my first treat this week too, and it was delicious. I'd been dreaming about chocolate cake the night before and then my friend showed up with gourmet cupcakes. Divine.

 

Foods:

Thursday

Breakfast - sausage patty
Lunch - sushi rolls! 3 smoked salmon nori rolls (wild rice, small avocado, cucumber, carrot, asparagus, wasabi/Tamari, pickled ginger) and a small serving of dry rub ribs
Snack pre-lifting - strawberry vega smoothie
Dinner - ribs and half a cucumber and some mushrooms, and 1/3 cup (dry) steel cut oats (with egg whites and spinach cooked in), topped with 1 cup Greek yogurt and 3 Tbsp (before whipping) heavy cream plus maple syrup
Snack pre-bed - casein with cashew milk

 

Friday

Breakfast - sausage patty
Lunch - rainbow trout fillet on greens/asparagus/zucchini/mushrooms/wild rice/olives with tahini and salsa
Snack - super decadent chocolate salted caramel cupcake. Filled with caramel and the icing was as tall as the cupcake. This was really good.
Dinner - two sausage patties and a can of tuna with wild rice and tahini
Snack pre-bed - casein with Greek yogurt

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Deciduous said:

main-qimg-b4eb84dc791fa6d3ede697c8e1827f

CONQUERED T-2 AND T-1

 

I'm so late today that the day is fin-fished. I meant to get in here earlier but got caught up trying to cuttlefish jokes out of my update!

 

Yesterday made it to 30 min spin class (cardio✔) and then did overhead press and a carp tuna dumbbell arm/shoulder accessory lifts, it was a short week at the gym for me so did all the arm stuff from sumo deadlift day a swell (lifting✔). Today was deadlift day (lifting✔ orcaward practice✔); to be honest, I've been dreading it and was going to talk to my coach if it felt as rough as last week. Went in feeling physically good though and it went reely well, so that was great! Did dumbbell accessory lifts and heavy farmers carries.

 

Food has been good! I am otter vegetables except frozen spinach right now, so need to remedy that tomorrow; this also accounts for my vegetable free dinner. Had my first treat this week too, and it was delicious. I'd been dreaming about chocolate cake the night before and then my friend showed up with gourmet cupcakes. Divine.

 

Foods:

Thursday

Breakfast - sausage patty
Lunch - sushi rolls! 3 smoked salmon nori rolls (wild rice, small avocado, cucumber, carrot, asparagus, wasabi/Tamari, pickled ginger) and a small serving of dry rub ribs
Snack pre-lifting - strawberry vega smoothie
Dinner - ribs and half a cucumber and some mushrooms, and 1/3 cup (dry) steel cut oats (with egg whites and spinach cooked in), topped with 1 cup Greek yogurt and 3 Tbsp (before whipping) heavy cream plus maple syrup
Snack pre-bed - casein with cashew milk

 

Friday

Breakfast - sausage patty
Lunch - rainbow trout fillet on greens/asparagus/zucchini/mushrooms/wild rice/olives with tahini and salsa
Snack - super decadent chocolate salted caramel cupcake. Filled with caramel and the icing was as tall as the cupcake. This was really good.
Dinner - two sausage patties and a can of tuna with wild rice and tahini
Snack pre-bed - casein with Greek yogurt

 

best update and best forum cartoon of the week hahaha. sometimes I skim read updates and I read all the way through yours. ;) I'm glad deadlift went well. It sucks when a particular lift is causing you grief. 

 

don't forget to drink your water! This is a water challenge no? :P I also need help remembering my water. And a fish out of water is? 

 

2c81c591b1ad4c726749cd6378189bd2.gif 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

best update and best forum cartoon of the week hahaha. sometimes I skim read updates and I read all the way through yours.  I'm glad deadlift went well. It sucks when a particular lift is causing you grief. 

 

don't forget to drink your water! This is a water challenge no?  I also need help remembering my water. And a fish out of water is? 

 

2c81c591b1ad4c726749cd6378189bd2.gif 

 

Don't leave us floundering.

 

Reminds me of basic training. Drill SGT yelling "Drink, water!" at semi regular intervals during a smoke session.

 

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Grumble @Taddea Zhaan Not tuna worry, the water sea bream drunk and tracked. However, I am so thankful for you guys acting as Drill SGTs (mL Dept?). PS looked up smoke session, then had to look it up again with 'military' as a qualifier. OMC.

 

giphy.gif

 

My weekend tern'ed out very different than I had planned for, but good! Family let minnow they were coming cast minute, so I've shad fun but a bait less activity than I'd rudder. Made it to yoga (yoga✔️orcaward practice✔️) and a dog hike (cardio✔️ shore tow they are, we did sprint up the hill @Taddea Zhaan and it was, indeed, easier!) Saturday, and yesterday fisheye went for a dog walk through a park. Could have gone running last night, but my buoy was home from the weekend and I wanted to sea him, then wasn't eeling like it after a glass of wine. Potent sealy, I'm letting myself off the hook too much; weel water sea how the numbers look at the end of week one. Regardless, back haddock today!

 

Is this theme mako you wanna krill me yet? It is sealy.

 

Saturday foods:
Breakfast - avocado vega smoothie
Lunch - 1/3 cup (dry) steel cut oats (with egg whites, blueberries, and spinach cooked in), topped with 1 cup Greek yogurt and 3 Tbsp (before whipping) heavy cream plus honey
Dinner - ribs with BBQ sauce, half sweet potato with coconut oil and cinnamon, coleslaw (coleslaw mix, mayo, tahini, molasses, sesame oil, mustard, raisins, wild rice), two squares Lindt dark caramel chocolate, small glass of wine
Snack pre-bed - casein with Greek yogurt

 

Sunday foods:
Breakfast - steel cut oats with Greek yogurt, greens powder, mango, cinnamon whipped cream, and honey (yum)
Lunch -  ribs and leftover coleslaw (~750 mL) and maybe 1/3 c leftover steel cut oats with a few tbsp leftover whipped cream
Dinner - ribs and half sweet potato w coconut oil and cinnamon and coleslaw (coleslaw mix, Greek yogurt, tahini, molasses, raisins, cashews)
Snack pre-bed - casein with cashew milk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.