• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

elvenengineer

ElvenEngineer Builds Habits

So, I've moved to Michigan! Detroit is lovely so far, and @Taddea Zhaan is an excellent nerd to hang out with (she even helped me unpack!)

This challenge is going to be all about building habits (and hopefully finishing, unlike that last one where I disappeared for two weeks because I moved then had a work trip?).

I find that I have a lot of expectations of myself - "should". Such as I should eat three meals a day, but they should be healthy, but I should go to lunch with my coworkers and network, and I should go to all the happy hours to network, and I should do mobility daily, and I should do yoga three times a week, and I should start hiking, and I should start running so I can do 5k's again, and I should join the rock climbing club, and I should continue going to therapy, and, and, and....

So, for zero week (I'm sure it will change) I'm going to make a list of all the things I "should" do, and how often I "should" do them. Just to get a baseline. I find once I start writing down all the stuff I do, I magically feel way more on top of my game, I think when something is a habit I stop giving myself "credit" for it.

So I'm also going to write down all the stuff I ACTUALLY do, and keep a tally. I've done that with work tasks before, and it's super helpful come review time, or when your manager comes up and asks what you've gotten done today/this week/this month. So why not do it for personal things?

Then maybe I can decide which of my shoulds/accomplishments I actually WANT to prioritize, which ones I NEED to prioritize, and which are an external force that I can disregard.

*theme for later - debating star wars (DID YOU SEE THE TRAILER) but I've done that before so no idea!*

• Like 12

In summary for my challenge:

Breakfast: Success 25/28 - for a new habit that's pretty on point, but will definitely continue for another challenge!

Self-care: this went really well, though I think I'd like to try to document it better in the future. When I'm down it'd be nice to have a list of self-care ideas that I could try, so documenting what I do and how it made me feel would be SUPER helpful.

Journaling: Could definitely do better - there were a lot of nights I decided not to journal, which was fine, but there were also nights where it didn't cross my mind and I'd like to improve that. Like last night - I didn't even think about it. And that's what I'd like to improve, not necessarily # of times journaled. Just a "would this help my mental health right now" check-in at the end of each day is my goal. So this one will continue on!

Other notable things that happened this challenge:

-noticeable lack of depression spiraling during Mother's Day. Yeah, I was still sad, and I had a lot of FEELINGS but not nearly as bad as years past. I'm super happy about this.

-started online NF coaching, am really enjoying it so far. I knew it would be nice to not have to program stuff for myself, but like, it's even better than I'd hoped. Even with the same calorie goal, I'm feeling way less guilty and stressed about eating now that someone else gave me the goal. And just going do workouts and not stressing about how much/often/etc I should be lifting is gold. And they're working around my travel plans and being super nice about it! That was always stressful for me.

-lost a therapist, gained a therapist: I like the new one a LOT better

-started doing hikes with the excellent @Taddea Zhaan

-started online dating! Met some cool people so far. And some terrible people. Live and learn.

Yesterday:

-I lifted for the second time at my new gym!

-To lift, I had to wake up early for the first time in a while, and I did it! I treated myself to a coffee afterwards.

-I paid a toll bill

-I got my mail (it's a new place, so I have to really remember to do that)

-I was excellent at work (some meetings went really well)

-I tidied up my bathroom, though it could use more work

-I went to therapy

-I ate dinner on the way home from therapy, which was sensible as I was exhausted and knew I wouldn't cook

-I went to bed really early because I was tired (yay listening to my body!)

-I did some hard personal stuff I'd been putting off (thanks to the nerds for being supportive!)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, elvenengineer said:

I promise I'll detail bad habits too.

I also made a profile on a dating app last night, so THERE.

Image result for swipe right

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

Just to get a baseline. I find once I start writing down all the stuff I do, I magically feel way more on top of my game

Preach! I am all about that visual overview! It really helps me sort priorities. Hope there was be some awesome scribbling cause I love me some scribbling! (And some stickers, heyo, why not?)

40 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

*theme for later - debating star wars (DID YOU SEE THE TRAILER) but I've done that before so no idea!*

Yeah, I did a minecraft them once... or... most times... :abnormal:

46 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

My birthday is coming up this challenge cycle.  Therefore, a Star Wars themed challenge would be perfect!

I believe I mentioned a friend or two who would most likely love to meet you, but you have only been settled in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedStone said:

Ah, and just in case you didn't see Agrski's suggestion on Mike's thread... I would so get on this yo! http://www.weightsndates.com/

I did see it, but I can't download THAT at work. I'll let you guys who how skewed it is.

18 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Please don't post it. I'm skipping everything star wars to avoid spoilers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You mean the trailer? I'm not planning on posting it, I assumed everyone who wanted to see it has seen it already.

If you mean no spoilers for the original trilogy or the prequels though (Anakin), you're going to be out of luck and should block me :P 

• Like 3

You mean the trailer? I'm not planning on posting it, I assumed everyone who wanted to see it has seen it already.

If you mean no spoilers for the original trilogy or the prequels though (Anakin), you're going to be out of luck and should block me  

Oh God no. I'm a star wars nerd. I even have a SW custom license plate. This is just protection from Last Jedi(s) spoilers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Grumble said:

Oh God no. I'm a star wars nerd. I even have a SW custom license plate. This is just protection from Last Jedi(s) spoilers.

Then you should be good. I've flirted with the idea of making a real life BB8 (I don't remember if you were around for that) so it would mostly be gifs of him.

And Rey. I love Rey.

I would have given you massive side-eye if you wanted me to refrain from spoiling the original trilogy. So I'm glad that's not an issue! I accidentally spoiled that Vader was Luke's dad to someone last year and I was... confused. #sorrynotsorry #spoilersareforwimps

• Like 5

Then you should be good. I've flirted with the idea of making a real life BB8 (I don't remember if you were around for that) so it would mostly be gifs of him.

And Rey. I love Rey.

I would have given you massive side-eye if you wanted me to refrain from spoiling the original trilogy. So I'm glad that's not an issue! I accidentally spoiled that Vader was Luke's dad to someone last year and I was... confused. #sorrynotsorry #spoilersareforwimps

I was not. But that's awesome! Post the walkthrough?

Accidentally spoiled Vader was Luke's dad?!? That's full on stinkeye.

• Like 1

Just now, Grumble said:

I was not. But that's awesome! Post the walkthrough?

Accidentally spoiled Vader was Luke's dad?!? That's full on stinkeye.

Um, I'll have to find it again because I didn't do it (lack of room to spray paint and proper ventilation - safety first). If I find it I'll post it. It was in my challenge like.... two challenges ago? I linked to it.

I was super confused, like - I don't even understand how she didn't know that. It's referenced so often in cultural jokes and such?!

• Like 2

I cam across this in my regular rummaging of GIFs. Unrelated, pretty much to anything, but I'l just... leave this... here...

giphy.gif

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, RedStone said:

I cam across this in my regular rummaging of GIFs. Unrelated, pretty much to anything, but I'l just... leave this... here...

giphy.gif

I. NEED. THIS.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

To someone who obviously doesn't have electricity... Only possible explaination

Wizards in the Dresden Files universe can't use technology because it doesn't like them, and Dresden still manages to be a starwars nerd. No electricity is still not an excuse at this point...

• Like 5

The gym I joined has a rock climbing wall.

This was a good thing. I totally tried to go rock climbing tonight and basically froze up - less good. I was weirdly afraid of my arms giving out? I was belayed, so like, I knew I'd be okay if I fell. I think I was partly worried about being embarrassed? There were more people than I was expecting. Mostly kids, but still.

So anyway, i went up once, had a "nope" moment, came down, and then I was like, there are like 8 kids in line and you close in 30 minutes, don't worry about me, I'll come back another time. sooo.... yeah.

I also think I may be getting a cold. The guy who sits next to me in the office has a cold, and I slept 9h33m last night and am still exhausted. I had the thought to go run, since I didn't really rock climb (I signed up for a 5k in October with @Taddea Zhaan) but I am very tired. I am going to shower and go to bed, and call that being responsible, just not fitness oriented.

Things I did today:

-had a target setting meeting with my manager, contributed and set reasonable goals

-posted my NF challenge

-checked my mail

-ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner (harder than it sounds)

-tracked and completed my MFP entry

-did a favor for a friend I had been wanting to get to

-tried rock climbing, albeit briefly

-woke up at  7:11am without an alarm (I have no idea what happened to the alarm, but that's why I didn't work out this morning)

-NOT going run while exhausted and possibly getting ill. I can go run tomorrow if I want to, it won't kill me to rest, I lifted yesterday

-shower (to be completed) and GO TO BED (will rescind if I stay up posting stuff or whatnot)

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

The gym I joined has a rock climbing wall.

This was a good thing. I totally tried to go rock climbing tonight and basically froze up - less good. I was weirdly afraid of my arms giving out? I was belayed, so like, I knew I'd be okay if I fell. I think I was partly worried about being embarrassed? There were more people than I was expecting. Mostly kids, but still.

So anyway, i went up once, had a "nope" moment, came down, and then I was like, there are like 8 kids in line and you close in 30 minutes, don't worry about me, I'll come back another time. sooo.... yeah.

Oh funnn!!!! Not to worry, freeze up happen, ain't no thing. If it's something you enjoy, have at it a few times!  It takes time to get past those humps of uncertainty and confidence. Nothing like a little repetition to build up that efficacy. Sounds super fun!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

I also think I may be getting a cold. The guy who sits next to me in the office has a cold, and I slept 9h33m last night and am still exhausted. I had the thought to go run, since I didn't really rock climb (I signed up for a 5k in October with @Taddea Zhaan) but I am very tired. I am going to shower and go to bed, and call that being responsible, just not fitness oriented.

Pretty sure ensuring you recover adequately (whether from workouts, sickness, or life) counts as fitness related.

• Like 1