• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jarric

Jarric - Actions per Day

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:25 PM, jonfirestar said:

giphy.gif

I don't think any one is going to fault you for taking a rest day before going off to Warrior Run! 

No, it was probably the right choice I feel!

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:22 AM, fleaball said:

Well that's not as fun. You can go to my interviews for me then. They'll never notice. 

Time zones are dumb and I can't figure out if your race is saturday or sunday but I hope you crush it either way.

Yeah, that should work, they'll never notice I'm sure.

It was Sunday, and thank you :D

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:25 PM, iatetheyeti said:

Clearly I have some catching up to do!

First, I love you approach to this challenge (and may steal it next challenge).

Second, congrats on your job offers :D 

Steal away! Or, if you want to join in right now, I'm going to run this as a little PvP for those interested.

21 hours ago, BitterOyster said:

I hope you realise that just the fact you're still here in the Rebellion, reflecting and planning, is really awesome.

My gamer brain is saying 'make combos!' - for example a bonus point if you do something from every category. But if you want to keep it simple I understand that too :D

Thanks. I actually hadn't thought of it like that, but being here is a really important part of keeping me going. Guess I've taken it for granted but I really do love this place.

Well I gave combo points for the morning and evening routines (which "conveniently" makes them add up to 5 and 10 points respectively), but I think if I make it too complicated I might just give up on it!

21 hours ago, BitterOyster said:

Ain't it always the way? Double congrats!

Thanks!

6 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Before you even post about it I'm gonna congratulate you on Rangering the Warrior Run ;)

Hah, good man, thank you very much sir!

=====

I need to tot up my points for the weekend and tell you all about it, so I'm off to do that now! In the meantime if you want to count your own points and make a PvP out of this (IIRC @Charlie_Quinn and @mr_willes were keen? But of course the more the merrier) get counting! Any self-care action, no matter how small, can count, plus I'm counting full workouts as 5 points each. I'll try and get a Google Sheet up tonight or tomorrow sometime so we can keep score.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

This^

Though I have seen some Instagram stuff already...

Thanks man! And that reminds me, for those who haven't seen these:

3 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Same. And I'm really curious to hear where the dressing gown fits into everything!

Well basically I really want a Dryrobe, but I'm a cheapskate and they're mega expensive. So I thought a dressing gown would be great to keep me warm and to get changed in discreetly.

Protip: The dressing gown will not stay closed when you tried to get inside it. Consider standing next to a hedge when using it and not in the middle of a crowd :apathy:

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

That picture really made me think of Arthur Dent ;)

arthur.jpg

It's probably got something to do with gallivanting across the galaxy.

That's exactly what it is, obviously.

27 minutes ago, Terra said:

OMG - I leave for a week and so much happens!!!   Wahoo

I know, it's been a mad one! Hope your doing ok?

• Like 9

Dryrobes are hella expensive but they are amazing. I got mine from nuclear races where you get a free race if you buy a dryrobe. Considering I was going to do the race anyway and entry was over £60, the dry robe essentially cost about £40.

If you want a cheaper option, you can buy towelling changing robes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ZOYRMWQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1493054083&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=surf+changing+towel&dpPl=1&dpID=41Zj0zk-qWL&ref=plSrch

Not quite as warm and snug, but less chance of things falling out than with a dressing gown!

• Like 2

Omg, Jarric, your pics are soooo great!   You are just amazing.   (Also adorable.  In that total hunk sort of way.) ((Also also, please don't let WW beat me up, I was just complimenting you!))

You look like you nailed the run.  That beer pic is CLASSIC!  LOVE IT.

Way to kick ass friend.    Seriously awesome.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Salinger said:

woah so cool, love the photos Jarric! Congrats again!

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Dryrobes are hella expensive but they are amazing. I got mine from nuclear races where you get a free race if you buy a dryrobe. Considering I was going to do the race anyway and entry was over £60, the dry robe essentially cost about £40.

If you want a cheaper option, you can buy towelling changing robes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ZOYRMWQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1493054083&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=surf+changing+towel&dpPl=1&dpID=41Zj0zk-qWL&ref=plSrch

Not quite as warm and snug, but less chance of things falling out than with a dressing gown!

I knew there was somewhere doing Dryrobes with race entry but I couldn't find it! Thanks for the info, I may have to upgrade from the dressing gown between now and Tough Mudder :)

12 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Then consider me in :D 

Excellent, good to have you!

9 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Omg, Jarric, your pics are soooo great!   You are just amazing.   (Also adorable.  In that total hunk sort of way.) ((Also also, please don't let WW beat me up, I was just complimenting you!))

You look like you nailed the run.  That beer pic is CLASSIC!  LOVE IT.

Way to kick ass friend.    Seriously awesome.

Aww, you're making me blush - I don't think anyone's ever called me a hunk before! Thank you <3

8 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

following! and trying to catch up and congrats on the job!

Hi! Good to have you, and thanks!

• Like 3

Update - Zero Week - Saturday

• Up on time
  • Brushed teeth
  • Took hayfever meds
  • Daily dare - 40 reverse plank leg raises - with EC [+2]
  • Tried country dancing at my aunt's birthday party
  • No caffeine after 4pm
  • On time all day
  • Laid out run clothes for the morning

Total: 9 points

Took a pre-run rest day, and spent all day at a charity snooker tournament. It was a nice day (though I didn't get very far) and all in aid of supporting a friend who's daughter has a type of epilepsy.

In the evening I went to a barn dance for my aunt's 80th birthday, which was a laugh.

All told a low scoring day due to general busyness.

• Like 6

Zero Week - Sunday

• Warrior Run! [+5]
  • Encouraged Marathon Girl (MG) round the track, and helped her and others over obstacles
  • On time all day
  • Grocery shopping
  • Prepped breakfasts [+2]

For a total of 10 points.

Warrior Run was excellent fun. I ran it with MG again, and we both noticed how much fitter we've got since October. Interestingly I'm stronger, faster and fatter now, which is an odd combination but still not terrible news!

MG is a bit slower round the course than me, so I actually had quite a leisurely time between obstacles, just having fun, laughing and joking and not worrying about the time.

The course starts off with a sheer drop into muddy water, and that pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the run. Over a few walls and across some fields you come to woodland, where you have to run through streams and use a dark, low tunnel under a major road. At a couple of points the streams, which are so dark with mud you can't see the bottom, suddenly drop from 1' deep to 5' deep! It's surprising, hilarious and scary all at once!

You then wind back across the fields to the obstacle village, where most of the 50 major obstacles are situated. Highlights include hang tough rings made of small tyres (which I found the hardest thing - they kill your hands), the water slide (pictured above), incline to decline monkey bars, a overhang platform to climb on to, and finally the warped wall (pictured above).

The only real disappointment this year was that they had taken about 2'6" off the top of the warped wall, so it was really just a quarter pipe. I flew up that with relative ease and having needed a rope assist last time I can't help wondering if I would have made the full height this time.

All in all though, 7km done in a sedate 2 hours (ish), 50+ obstacles Rangered, and a great time had by all.

• Like 7

Week 1 - Monday - The Challenge Begins

• Brushed teeth
  • Hayfever meds
  • Ate pre-prepped breakfast
  • Took the stairs
  • Stairs again at lunch
  • Checked in here
  • Updated journal
  • Accepted a job offer!
  • On time all day
  • Walked to the shop for groceries
  • Set up Tuesday's journal
  • Laid out work clothes
  • Packed climbing kit
  • Teeth brushed
  • Hayfever meds

Total: 15 points

No workout as a post run recovery day. In hindsight I didn't feel particularly beat up so I probably could have made it to the gym, but maybe it's better I didn't.

And in the evening I sent out an e-mail accepting one of the job offers! Can't believe I have a new job; I'm excited and very nervous all at once. Now sitting on a train to hand in my notice at the current job!

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Jarric said:

And in the evening I sent out an e-mail accepting one of the job offers! Can't believe I have a new job; I'm excited and very nervous all at once. Now sitting on a train to hand in my notice at the current job!

Oooh congrats! How did you choose between them?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jarric said:

Accepted a job offer!

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!  AWESOME!!!

9 hours ago, Jarric said:

In the evening I went to a barn dance for my aunt's 80th birthday, which was a laugh.

I seriously want to just ... come hang out with you for like 2 weeks.  Your posts are always SO DAMN INTERESTING AND AWESOME!!!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, deftona said:

Oooh congrats! How did you choose between them?

There were some logical reasons that it made sense (closer to home, effectively better money when travel's considered, smaller company so less red tape), but ultimately when I imagined life in my new job that was the place I was imagining to be honest.

3 hours ago, Starpuck said:

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!  AWESOME!!!

I seriously want to just ... come hang out with you for like 2 weeks.  Your posts are always SO DAMN INTERESTING AND AWESOME!!!

Well if you ever find yourself in my part of the world then you are more than welcome to come hang out. I'm not sure my life's quite as exciting as all that though!

10 hours ago, Salinger said:

woah congrats!! Brilliant news :) 

8 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

That's great news on the job. No more hideous commutes! Woohoo!

8 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Congratulations! *tips hat*

7 hours ago, fleaball said:

Hooray new job!

3 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Woot! :D 

3 hours ago, Terra said:

Wahoo for both the new job and the OCR!  

3 hours ago, RedStone said:

What a week! So many good things :D:D:D 

Thank you guys!

• Like 4

A wild tracking spreadsheet appears!

Anyone who wants to join me on this Actions per Day lark please stick your name down :)

Week 1 - Tuesday

• Brushed teeth
  • Hayfever meds
  • Updated Bujo
  • Checked in on here
  • Had pre-prepped breakfast
  • Took the stairs
  • Handed in my notice
  • Took the stairs at lunch
  • Went bouldering with a friend [+5]
  • Encouraged said friend at bouldering - he's only been a couple of times but is moving near to the gym we went to. I think he'll improve pretty rapidly then.
  • Chose an apple over a bag of crisps
  • Packed gym kit for the morning
  • No alcohol all day

Total: 17 points

So I slept awfully yesterday - woke up about 03:30 and was tossing and turning from then on. I'm blaming nerves about handing in my notice.  Consequently I missed my run, so it was lucky I had the bouldering to make up those points instead.

Notice handing went well, though unfortunately I will have to actually work my notice period rather than spending it sat at home :apathy:

• Like 5

Rather late but just wanted to say I'm following!

Congrats on the new job. :) I'm seriously considering searching for a new job too, based purely on selfish motives (Don't like the nature of my work, I want to be able to plan stuff on weekends without constantly asking for them off...) and your thread is giving me the push I need to actually go look.  The problem I have is that I'm also applying to study a Masters by Research, which could make a Monday-Friday tricky. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Rather late but just wanted to say I'm following!

Congrats on the new job. :) I'm seriously considering searching for a new job too, based purely on selfish motives (Don't like the nature of my work, I want to be able to plan stuff on weekends without constantly asking for them off...) and your thread is giving me the push I need to actually go look.  The problem I have is that I'm also applying to study a Masters by Research, which could make a Monday-Friday tricky. 

Good to have you!

I suppose looking to move jobs is selfish in a way, but I think that's ok. You end up spending most of your waking life at work so you have to enjoy (or at least be prepared to tolerate) what you do. And although you will always have to sacrifice some time for work it's important to balance that with the things you want to do in your personal life. All of that is part of caring for yourself long-term.

And a masters, that's cool, what in?

• Like 4