• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jarric

Jarric - Actions per Day

Just now, deftona said:

Wow, I never knew I was so talented! :D 

If you haven't ended up in a pool of your own sick at the end of the night, are you even British tho. 

Drinking enough beer that you throw up and end up sleeping in a pool of vomit is a different skill to drinking enough beer that consume so much as a glass of water without projectile vomiting 15 hours after you've finished ;)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Drinking enough beer that you throw up and end up sleeping in a pool of vomit is a different skill to drinking enough beer that consume so much as a glass of water without projectile vomiting 15 hours after you've finished ;)

True, I just want to eat pork scratchings all day the next day. I have only ever gotten that sick from whisky and tequila. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

The two times (2 times too many btw) this has happened to me I've been sick during the drinking too... Although usually it also accompanies drinking almost an entire bottle of spirits in one night and I really should have known better. Especially after the first time :P but I was young and stupid. I mostly stick to beer these days and it's really hard to drink enough beer in a short enough period of time to get that kind of sick.

Yeah, spirits are a special kind of evil (particularly as I only usually drink spirits at the end of the night when I've run out of room for beer). It is hard to stomach enough beer on the night to get that kind of morning sick, but we we're drinking from about 1 til after midnight so that made it easier!

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Agreeing with Jonfirestar... another example of how you just might be the coolest guy on that side of the pond ever.  "Tried archery and axe throwing... was fun... might forge some axes later!"  

CXzYK2N.gif

This is an excellent plan!   I concur!

Also- I find that drinking on top of sunburn is usually a bad mix.   Nine times out of ten, if you're sunburned, you've been out and about in the sun all day, likely also a bit dehydrated to start.   So it's like starting the beers on a negative curve.   Add in the cold, and yeah, friend, you were doomed.   Lots of clear fluids.   (Vodka does not count.)

Aww, thank you! It is pretty cool.

Yeah, sunburn was definitely not helpful. Understood loud and clear though, I'll drink lots of vodka to counteract it :panda:

1 hour ago, deftona said:

Wow, I never knew I was so talented! :D 

If you haven't ended up in a pool of your own sick at the end of the night, are you even British tho. 

No, it's a requirement. I believe they're asking for it on passport applications now.

• Like 4

Week 4 - Tuesday - An Inauspicious Start

Yesterday I got up, ran for my train, and it was delayed. By the time I got to London it was about half an hour late, which was eating into a big chunk of my gym time. In a bad mood I rushed to the gym and got changed for my workout.

Then, during squats, as I tensed to lift the bar for my working set and before it had even left the pins my left leg seized up. I stretched it out and tried again. I got an entire rep (of what was supposed to be 5x8) before deciding that this definitely didn't feel right - my quads were just shot for some reason.

Got in what assistance work I could with the little time I had then hit the showers, only to have to queue for the showers because it was so busy! Now I'm rushing as I'm late for work and as I'm getting dressed I turn a sock out...

There's sand in my socks.

Fucking sand! I just, I don't even know how that got there! I was so confused and so annoyed and just... sand?? seriously???

Anyway, the day did get better from there. Here's the whole thing:

• Hayfever meds
  • Checked in here
  • Updated bujo
  • Lifted (a bit, as above) [+5]
  • Stretched
  • Half hour walk at lunch
  • Daily dare - 2 minute tricep hold - split over 3 sets
  • Yoga quickies
  • 5min meditation
  • Cooked dinner - tomato-y chicken pasta with yellow pepper, red onion and mushroom
  • Made extra dinner for Wednesday's lunch
  • Prepped eggs for breakfasts x 3 [+3]
  • Set bujo up for next day
  • Teeth brushed
  • Hayfever meds
  • Laid out work clothes
  • Packed gym kit
  • In bed early (10:15 ish)
  • No alcohol all day
  • No caffeine after 4pm

For a total score of 26 points! I'm still feeling ill, and I'm disappointed about the gym session (I think I'll actually run this week of the program twice to break back into it as I've had such a long break). Overall however a good day.

• Like 5

Week 4 - Wednesday - Back to Competition

Wednesday night is snooker night, and I've signed up for a little in-house summer league at my local club. Because of this I didn't have as much time in the evening to score points.

• Hayfever meds
  • Pre-prepared breakfast
  • Updated journal
  • Workout - OHP day. My 5x8 on OHP became 8, 8, 7, 8, 7 which is about the closest to Rx I've had this cycle. Definitely need to repeat this week and actually hit my weights. I'd also gotten up late so a bit of a short session. [+5]
  • Stretched
  • 5 min mindfulness at lunch (I knew I wouldn't have time in the evening, but wanted to get this in for the mini
  • Checked in on here
  • Laid out work clothes for morning
  • Home cooked meal - Pork belly with leek and mashed potato
  • Hayfever meds

For a total score of 15.

Thursday - New Beginnings

Last night another busy night, as I went out to meet the team I'll be working with from next week. Had an excellent night and a few drinks and really got on with everyone, so that's hopefully a good sign!

I was supposed to run in the morning, but I woke up feeling rubbish with my legs still very angry at me and decided to go back to bed.

• Hayfever meds
  • Pre-prepped breakfast
  • Updated bujo
  • 5min mindfulness at lunch
  • Laid out work clothes
  • Packed gym kit
  • Brushed teeth
  • Hayfever meds
  • To bed on time

For a total of 9.

By my count that puts me on 65 points for the first 4 days. Tonight will be leaving drinks as it's my last day working in London (wooooo!), but with a decent weekend I could be on for my best week of the challenge here.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

Last night another busy night, as I went out to meet the team I'll be working with from next week. Had an excellent night and a few drinks and really got on with everyone, so that's hopefully a good sign!

Oh your new job starts next week!? Good luck with that. It'll be nice to be done with the commute!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Oh your new job starts next week!? Good luck with that. It'll be nice to be done with the commute!

Definitely! I've got a nice zero week ahead too - three days off, first two days in the new job and then it's the weekend :D .

======

I just wanted to share today's comic from xkcd here, in case anyone reading this has any doubt as to how amazing their body truly is:

doctor_visit.png

• Like 6

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:21 AM, Broba Fett said:

Hey dude.  Hope you're doing well.  All I've seen of you the past month is pics of medals and such on insta. 

Doing well thanks man! Been rubbish at keeping up with everyone on here, but I've been enjoying your archery badassness on insta!

• Like 1

Heeey Jarric.... do we get a final recap?   I can't wait to hear how it's wrapped up.   :)

You seem to have done really pretty good!  Especially amidst all the changes and new things, and stuff going on.

17 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Heeey Jarric.... do we get a final recap?   I can't wait to hear how it's wrapped up.   :)

You seem to have done really pretty good!  Especially amidst all the changes and new things, and stuff going on.

Hey, thanks for the nudge! There will indeed be a final update, which I totally meant to write yesterday! I'll sit down this afternoon and get it done :)

• Like 1

Week 4 Wrap-Up

Friday was my last day at work, so as predicted not overly productive and several beers after work. Score of just 4 points. It was a weird day and as much as I hated the commute I'm going to miss some of the people I worked with a lot.

Saturday I got out to Parkrun, which didn't go too well but I finished I guess. Also went bouldering and totally shot my forearms, but had fun! Double exercise day got my to 17 points, whilst having to do very little else.

Sunday was a domestic rangering day and we've got the house looking a bit better. My long run went hideously however - I got lost and ended up walking most of the way. Still I went out and tried so I took those points towards a total score of 13.

• Like 2

Challenge Wrap-Up

Sorry it's so late guys! I had been meaning to post this earlier, but it's been an odd week. On to that shortly!

Scores

Week 1 - 78

Week 2 - 92

Week 3 - 73

Week 4 - 99

Total - 342

Finished strong here! Would have been nice to break the 100 points mark but still week 4 being my best week is promising, and hopefully shows some progress. Every week had low days and high days, but reading back through this challenge I can see things starting to come back together for me. In retrospect I think in a perfect week I could average 20 points per day (given a few days in the high 20s that I've had), so a weekly score of 140 and a challenge target of 560 for a perfect challenge. A perfect challenge for me would be 50XP for a half level-up. Here I got 342/560 = 61%, so I'm giving myself 31XP for the challenge. Plugging it in that just barely brings me to level 8, my first level up in quite a while which feels fitting!

It's been an odd challenge too - in week 0 I got job offers for 2 separate companies, so in week 1 I handed in my notice. Working around dealing with that and everything else has been odd, but I've felt far more productive as the prospect of moving jobs becomes more real.

Fitness wise climbing has been ok, but then I love that and it's on a weekend so not hard to be consistent. Lifting was non-existent at the start of the challenge but has come back in. I've now re-joined my old gym near my home (I was going to the gym near my job) and I've been twice this week, so excited to get back into the swing of this. Running, unfortunately, is really suffering. I'm not doing very well, mostly I think due to lack of enthusiasm whilst I'm running, and as I'm not enjoying it and my enthusiasm further wanes it's making it harder to get out and finish runs, and it spirals down from there. I think part of this is that I'm lacking any sort of running plan at the moment - the last one died with my 10k - so I'll be posting a thread up specifically for that to try and get a long-term running routine in place.

I've also done some really cool stuff this challenge, from getting a new job and handing in my notice at the old one, trying top rope climbing in week 2 and running my first 10k race (and setting a nice benchmark time), and having a go at archery and axe throwing in week 3. Not too shabby a list for one month :) .

In terms of the challenge set-up itself this definitely works, and I will be keeping pretty much the same format next time. I'll fiddle a bit with the bonus points, particularly the morning and evening routines as I like having a bonus for a block of work. Maybe other bonus blocks if I think of any. A few things I've learned about this system:

• It helps me to make good choices in bad situations, so that I can salvage some points on difficult days
  • It also helps me to be able to get points in a variety of ways - if I miss a workout I want to work extra hard on my planning and nutrition to make up for it
  • It only works if I keep my bujo updated - I haemorrhaged points in week 1 because I didn't track and I couldn't award myself for stuff I wasn't sure I did
  • It definitely helps to have a list of possible actions to refer to to remember what I did. In the end I found myself referring to that list to see where I could squeeze in extra points, by doing a daily dare or a yoga video or something at the end of the day.

As always thank you all for sticking around and cheering me on. I have been terrible at keeping up with people and I'm really sorry for that, I will find a way to spend more time on here once I'm settled in the new job.

Speaking of which, I start a new job tomorrow (after a 5 day weekend to get my life in gear)! Still much to do so I best get off, and I'll post the new challenge as soon as I can.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jarric said:

I think part of this is that I'm lacking any sort of running plan at the moment - the last one died with my 10k

Obviously you just need to keep upping your goals. Time to start working toward an ultramarathon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fleaball said:

Obviously you just need to keep upping your goals. Time to start working toward an ultramarathon.

Hahahahaha! No chance :P . I'll be amazed if I ever run a road race longer than a half marathon (though 20 miles of obstacles at dirty weekend next summer might be a thing).

3 hours ago, deftona said:

Well done on your progress in this challenge so far and good luck in your new job tomorrow :D

2 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

Good luck on the first day at the new gig man!  Looking forward to the next challenge.

Thank you guys! I'm equal parts nervous and excited I think!

• Like 1

Well done Jarric.   (I almost wrote Varric, which is my favorite Dragon Age character and the name of my car... I've never done (or almost done) that before... )

You set a high mark if you're aiming 20 pts per day!  I look at your scores and think it's pretty bad ass already!

Get settled into the new routine and don't worry about getting the new challenge off to a perfect start.    Get the RL/Job Gig situated first, adapt to that, and THEN come barreling back!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Well done Jarric.   (I almost wrote Varric, which is my favorite Dragon Age character and the name of my car... I've never done (or almost done) that before... )

You set a high mark if you're aiming 20 pts per day!  I look at your scores and think it's pretty bad ass already!

Get settled into the new routine and don't worry about getting the new challenge off to a perfect start.    Get the RL/Job Gig situated first, adapt to that, and THEN come barreling back!

Thank you! And 20 sounds pretty high, but that is for a "perfect" challenge. I'm happy with not hitting perfection, and I certainly don't think the challenge went badly at all, but it's definitely not out of the question to reach that mark.

• Like 2