Neil Gaiman's American Gods

On 2017-5-19 at 11:22 AM, Laghail said:

What a fun series!

Reveal hidden contents

leme get to that part one more time!

One shot, one life.

Spoiler
Spoiler

I was excited to see Huginn and Muninn in the show. For Shadow, who he is keeps perplexing me, but I keep having this feeling that he is more than one god. Much like Christ has many similarities to other deities, I think he could be all those; Christ, Baldr, Krishna, Horus, etc. I'm probably wrong. Still need to read the book once I heal from my eye surgery.

I am the Brawlus, goo goo, g'joob.

ok, so I'm a little behind on my re-reading of the book and watching the series, but I just watched the episode centered on Laura's journey and BOY, I loved it!

I mean, I did stir a few bad personal memories concerning a ex-girlfriend called Laura... but, hey, I needed the slap in the face! Beyond that, I believe that episode expanded so much of the character like it wasn't in the books! 

Also, I love Emily ever since she acted on Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events, she made me feel uneasy watching Sucker Punch in front of other people and I adore her as Laura Moon.

What did you guys think of the episode?

One shot, one life.

14 hours ago, The Shogun said:

ok, so I'm a little behind on my re-reading of the book and watching the series, but I just watched the episode centered on Laura's journey and BOY, I loved it!

I mean, I did stir a few bad personal memories concerning a ex-girlfriend called Laura... but, hey, I needed the slap in the face! Beyond that, I believe that episode expanded so much of the character like it wasn't in the books! 

Also, I love Emily ever since she acted on Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events, she made me feel uneasy watching Sucker Punch in front of other people and I adore her as Laura Moon.

What did you guys think of the episode?

I enjoyed it. I saw a lot of talk about "oh, they could have summed her story up in 15 minutes. I hate her". I'm like, c'mon people, they made it that long so you can get to know her and not ignore for 10 minutes. She's obviously important.

I have to say, though, my fave part was when she called dude a "ginger minge".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brawlrus said:

I enjoyed it. I saw a lot of talk about "oh, they could have summed her story up in 15 minutes. I hate her". I'm like, c'mon people, they made it that long so you can get to know her and not ignore for 10 minutes. She's obviously important.

I have to say, though, my fave part was when she called dude a "ginger minge".

Besides, without her and Media, American Gods is a pretty much a mythical sausage fest.

Oh, and Easter, I forgot about Easter.

One shot, one life.

2 hours ago, The Shogun said:

Besides, without her and Media, American Gods is a pretty much a mythical sausage fest.

Oh, and Easter, I forgot about Easter.

Yeah, can't forget about Easter! Don't get me wrong, Shadow is a good looking dude, but there needs to be a decent balance. Is it wrong that Bilquis kinda does it for me?

22 hours ago, Brawlrus said:

Yeah, can't forget about Easter! Don't get me wrong, Shadow is a good looking dude, but there needs to be a decent balance. Is it wrong that Bilquis kinda does it for me?

There is everything right with Bilquis.

Just as long as you remember that her beauty is a 

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

fatal attraction

• Like 2
On 5/31/2017 at 1:01 PM, ICB said:

There is everything right with Bilquis.

Just as long as you remember that her beauty is a 

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

fatal attraction

That's probably what her appeal is for me.

On 5/31/2017 at 1:39 PM, The Shogun said:

I don't know. Bilquis not my type. Media does it for me.

Sent disgracefully using my Pavlovian device

I was cool with Media's Lucy and Marilyn, but wasn't so fond of her Bowie look. Or was she Annie Lennox? Her 80's stuff...didn't like.

On 2017-6-3 at 4:52 PM, Brawlrus said:

That's probably what her appeal is for me.

I was cool with Media's Lucy and Marilyn, but wasn't so fond of her Bowie look. Or was she Annie Lennox? Her 80's stuff...didn't like.

Oh she was definetly Bowie and yeah, didn't like her like her so much then, I was busy fangasming

and OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE MR. WORLD?

Crispin Glover nailed it.

One shot, one life.

I'm getting caught up. There's definitely changes from the book some I like, some for which I don't care, but I'm willing to see where the writers are going.

Spoiler

1. Regardless of what you think about the politics of Mr. Nancy's speech, you can't deny Orlando Jones OWNED that scene.

2.  I need to dig out my copy of American Gods, but I don't remember Laura being that fixated on Shadow after her resurrection. Also, her viewing Shadow as some sort of radiant light is bugging me. I remember Laura, in the book, describing Shadow as a sort of a dark hole in the world (implied to be an artifact of his grief and emotional numbness). Though I am digging the interactions between Mad Sweeney and Laura.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

Haven't seen the show, but just re-read the book.

Regarding Shadow's identity:

I like the idea of him being a bunch of gods rolled into one, and that makes a lot more sense to me than him just being Baldr, but Loki makes a pretty clear reference to the Baldr story by saying he'll get some mistletoe and stick it in Shadow's eye while he's hanging on the tree. So I'd say Baldr is definitely intended to be in there, even if the stories don't match 100%.

With regard to the god with no name:

I had no idea when I read it but did a little googling and the idea that he was Mercury was a prominent one, but then I read that apparently Gaiman stated at some point there were no Greek or Roman gods represented in the book. This was second-hand information, I didn't read the quote from Gaiman directly, and don't even know if that's true, but if it is, then I guess probably not Mercury, but I have no idea who. Maybe some earlier version of him from an older civilization?

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge